• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Triz

Good work guys told you we could do it. I pulled the 13th Mordo cover with the token. So now I have a choice to champion mordo or riri. Fuck this game sometimes....

And just for records: 11 pulls no Starlord. I have proven the odds wrong.

zulux21

Good work guys told you we could do it. I pulled the 13th Mordo cover with the token. So now I have a choice to champion mordo or riri. Fuck this game sometimes....

And just for records: 11 pulls no Starlord. I have proven the odds wrong.

well you haven't proven the odds wrong as much as had slightly unfortunate odds.

I mean you have a 31% chance of doing 11 pulls without getting a single 5*.

Dalek

well you haven't proven the odds wrong as much as had slightly unfortunate odds.

I mean you have a 31% chance of doing 11 pulls without getting a single 5*.

Never tell me the odds.

No seriously. Never tell me the odds because my 5* luck is shit.

zulux21

I pulled a yellow Starlord today with the easy token from that easy event.

I was surprised it was a token instead of a 3* star lord.

I got a green 5* starlord from it.

for the hell of it decided to face the last round thanos with a level 15 bagman, level 15 storm, and level 70 dannny.

almost beat him.
if I could have gotten the extra red gem I would have lol
ghrBLv.png

Triz

Almost 300k ISO: 3 Riri covers on the vine, Riri at 13 covers .2 wasp covers on the vine. One more wasp blue or black gives me 13 covers. Spend on Riri to champ or hold out on a wasp chance?

zulux21

Almost 300k ISO: 3 Riri covers on the vine, Riri at 13 covers .2 wasp covers on the vine. One more wasp blue or black gives me 13 covers. Spend on Riri to champ or hold out on a wasp chance?

Wasp actually is pretty decent after the reblance... riri is almost never decent >.>

As someone who is in the same situation except with Jessica Drew and Blade, wait. Spend it on the character you'll use more often. If you really want to champ Riri at some point, you'll still get more covers later to do it with.

zulux21

As someone who is in the same situation except with Jessica Drew and Blade, wait. Spend it on the character you'll use more often. If you really want to champ Riri at some point, you'll still get more covers later to do it with.

I mean the only real plus of riri over jessica is the fact that jessica is likely going to be gone from the tokens in a month while riri still has like 5 months.

X - Wasp
Spider Woman
Luke C4ge
GwenPool
Bl4de
Agent Venom
Medusa
Captain M4rvel
Riri Williams
Mordo
Agent Coulson
Iron Fist [added 4/6]
---------------------------------------------------------
Cloak and Dagger

Wasp will be gone with the start of the next season.
and then unless they do a double release, it is likely safe to say rocket/gamora are the two new 4* for next season so that will kill off spider woman and cage after next season.

depending on how quickly you can get the iso medusa and later is likely a good target to start champing as if you pull a few 4* a week by the time you get medusa and later champed you will likely have a nice cycle of new 4* to champ and build up with tokens you get from them.

so i mean if you aren't going to use wasp or riri much and just want the champ rewards riri might be the better choice now that I think about it.

plus you could just hope she gets a rework at some point.
I imagine a new character update will be announced tomorrow or the day after. that being said given they just had a solid event I fully expect it will be a 3* iron man and 3* iron fist nerf.

I am curious how my characters are being built so lets see..

Wasp - 2/2/3
Spider Woman - 4/5/4
Luke C4ge - 3/2/2
GwenPool - 5/5/1
Bl4de - 1/5/2
Agent Venom - 1/2/2
Medusa - 2/2/1 (has been a favorite since the start and at least one of the covers is from that)
Captain M4rvel -3/3/4 (has been a favorite since the start and at least one of the covers is from that)
Riri Williams - 0/1/4
Mordo - 1/3/3
Agent Coulson - 0/3/1
Iron Fist - 1/0/1
Cloak and Dagger - 0/1/0

I should also note that I have only gotten 2 spider woman covers since they vaulted some, she was stalking me before the vaulting lol.

edit: found an estimated out list
Wasp out on 5/4
SpiderWoman/Cage out on 6/1
Gwenpool out on 6/29
Blade out on 7/27
AVenom/Medusa out on 8/24
Carol out on 9/21
Riri out on 10/12 (short season, anniversary)
Mordo/Coulson out on 10/26
Fist out on 11/23

edit 2: hmmm seems I will be earning some 4* cyclops covers in my resupplies... now to decide if I want to spend some iso cyclops to champ him so I can use those covers. maybe it wouldn't even by half my money to champ him right now and he is fun to goof around with 3* iron man and starlord (though peggy is even more fun as her blue powers up starlord's red quite a bit which typically means if I can recharge and spam her blue twice I win as star lord punches what ever isn't stunned and the countdowns count down while the others are stunned and murder lol)

3/3/5 Phoenix as my most covered, 1/2/1 OML as my most used, and a couple others with 3-5 covers.

So now to my dilemma. Sitting on 6 Jessica Drew covers (not the problem). About to get my 14th Riri cover in a few days (still not the problem). About to get my 14th XFW cover (still not the problem). Just fully covered Nova with one of the boss event covers still in the queue and one more coming from PvE progression (here's the problem). Now the dilemma was easy when it was Jessica or XFW. Now that it's champ Nova or wait for Blade, that's a little bit tougher, especially since I have no guarantee of when the next Blade cover will drop.

Dalek

3/3/5 Phoenix as my most covered, 1/2/1 OML as my most used, and a couple others with 3-5 covers.

So now to my dilemma. Sitting on 6 Jessica Drew covers (not the problem). About to get my 14th Riri cover in a few days (still not the problem). About to get my 14th XFW cover (still not the problem). Just fully covered Nova with one of the boss event covers still in the queue and one more coming from PvE progression (here's the problem). Now the dilemma was easy when it was Jessica or XFW. Now that it's champ Nova or wait for Blade, that's a little bit tougher, especially since I have no guarantee of when the next Blade cover will drop.

Champ Nova-he's awesome.

Spoit

Yeah, nova is my next target for champing. Unfortunately, bonus pulls are rare. And like half the time it's the yellow cover, which I've had maxed forever

jurgen

I'm about to champ my 4 star Cage.

Him, Wasp, and 3-Star Strange make PvE stupid easy. You only need to focus on getting yellow for Wasp and start switching tiles.

Triz

Yeah, nova is my next target for champing. Unfortunately, bonus pulls are rare. And like half the time it's the yellow cover, which I've had maxed forever

yup...and I just got the yellow Nova from PVE progression. 1000 ISO once again.

Triz

Grinds out 300 points in the pvp just to gain and redeem a classic legends token. Pulls a 2* Magento. Please tell me people aren't buying these...

zulux21

Grinds out 300 points in the pvp just to gain and redeem a classic legends token. Pulls a 2* Magento. Please tell me people aren't buying these...

they obviously did worse than expected given they have daily sales this time around but i imagine they are selling decently to the whales.

The Time Gem season will have Cloak & Dagger (Classic) added to packs and Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) leaving packs.
There will be two characters receiving a character update this Versus Tournament Season: Carnage (Cletus Kassidy), and Drax (The Destroyer).

The development team had visited Carnage's design during the last season update, however based on the feedback from the community, they wanted to re-visit it to make sure these changes stood out as clear buffs for the character.

Carnage
Symbiote Scythes

Symbiote Scythes does single and enemy team damage. If you have less than 10 Red AP, Carnage will do team damage to all other friendly teammates as well.

Alien Instincts

This power is a Passive power that creates friendly and enemy Attack tiles as long as you have less than 10 Special tiles on the board. Damage for friendly Attack tiles has been increased and damage for enemy Attack tiles has decreased.

Carnage Rules

No Changes.
looks like carnage is back. limits the special tiles some but at least it is a passive again.

Drax
The Destroyer

Deals damage and destroys enemy Special tiles. Random tiles around the enemy Special tiles are destroyed as well.

Secret Weapon

Creates a Strike tile that gains additional strength for each friendly Countdown tile on the board (maximum of 5). Also has a Passive component that deals damage whenever a friendly Countdown tile has expired.

Slice & Dice

No Changes.

no longer requires friendly tiles for black.
and his purple is no longer crap, will have to see the numbers but a heavy strike tile plus dealing damage with count down tiles expiring could be fun.

Spoit

Thank fucking god. I burned though all of my HP boosts last time, since I only had his purple maxed, and middling coverage of his other powers. Which would have been trivial, if it could trigger of his own casts!

Did they invert the carnage red? Wasn't the last change AoE if it was 10 or above?

zulux21

Thank fucking god. I burned though all of my HP boosts last time, since I only had his purple maxed, and middling coverage of his other powers. Which would have been trivial, if it could trigger of his own casts!

Did they invert the carnage red? Wasn't the last change AoE if it was 10 or above?

ill dig around to confirm but i believe last time at 10 or above is when he did aoe damage to everything.

now it does aoe to the enemy regardless but if you have less than 10 your team takes damage as well.

edit: yeah they had it previously where you needed 10 red to do AOE. now it always does AOE damage, but if you have more than 10 red it won't hit your own team.

Spoit

ill dig around to confirm but i believe last time at 10 or above is when he did aoe damage to everything.

now it does aoe to the enemy regardless but if you have less than 10 your team takes damage as well.

edit: yeah they had it previously where you needed 10 red to do AOE. now it always does AOE damage, but if you have more than 10 red it won't hit your own team.

Oh so you just need a 3 AP buffer to avoid team damage altogether? I think that might actually make him stronger than before the last nerf! Though I guess it was always the attack tiles that caused the real damage

zulux21

Oh so you just need a 3 AP buffer to avoid team damage altogether? I think that might actually make him stronger than before the last nerf! Though I guess it was always the attack tiles that caused the real damage

not 100% sure given he isn't out but that is indeed how i read it, as long as he fires off the move with at least 10ap it should just hit the enemy. apparently their goal was actually to buff carnage and not nerf him like the originally did. Though I am also just realizing that the black move sounds like it will just place special tiles out, no powers needed to be fired to do so. going to be such a good medusa partner if true.

in other thoughts I still can't decide who I prefer between 4* cyclops and peggy.

I do know I am enjoying peggy + iron man 40 + kk

as well as
Marvol + IF + starlord quite a bit.
the second for the good nodes as they jsut go crazy @_@. it's fun watching someone make a 10k per match move, and my marvel is still missing a few covers I want. and 61 levels.

not 100% sure given he isn't out but that is indeed how i read it, as long as he fires off the move with at least 10ap it should just hit the enemy. apparently their goal was actually to buff carnage and not nerf him like the originally did. Though I am also just realizing that the black move sounds like it will just place special tiles out, no powers needed to be fired to do so. going to be such a good medusa partner if true.

in other thoughts I still can't decide who I prefer between 4* cyclops and peggy.

Peggy's defense is so much better than Cyc's offense that it isn't funny. And she's not even bad offensively, she's just a powerhouse of defense.

zulux21

Peggy's defense is so much better than Cyc's offense that it isn't funny. And she's not even bad offensively, she's just a powerhouse of defense.

I like th eboard control from cyclops that allows me to chain, but argubally peggy's offense is better than his is and indeed she has better defense so i think I will lean towards her so maybe i will champ her at some point

as aside of the two teams I was listing I was also having fun with iron man peggy and starlord against goons where reduced cost battery + peggy stunning everyone for a bunch of 3 turn damage and star lord punching people for heavy damage.

that being said i think I am getting cyclops covers soon so I might just champ him to get a token and some CP.

plus I really don't want my iso to go above 1 mil.

Spoit

Nah, you should use someone who eats the green IM generates. And maybe purple too. Probably Iceman on attack, or jean on defence?

Nah, you should use someone who eats the green IM generates. And maybe purple too. Probably Iceman on attack, or jean on defence?

Red Hulk.

But yeah, in Shield Sim right now, it's usually IM40, either Cyclops or 4Thor or Peggy as the R/B user, then Teen Jean or RHulk or Iceman as the G/P user (of those three Jean is the only one I have champed, so more often than not her). Easy to assemble and easily interchangable.

Spoit

Rulk really isn't that great unboosted. The AI will cast his green half cocked, and the purple is too slow to matter for that without SW feeding it. All he has is HP.

zulux21

defense?
why would I worry about defense :p

my average PVP season scores over the last 3-4 seasons was like 400 per season lol.

thus why I mentioned goons because starlord isn't great against non goon nodes (still good just not great)

I'm still a fan of KK as my green user as she does a good amount of damage and her burst health helps keep my team alive longer in pve.

edit:
HA HA HA they can't even send out tokens right.
earned myself a deadpool vs MPQ token this morning and instead of being on the vault page it's on a stockpiled token page.

zulux21

so while I think both character updates are going to be good in terms of being able to use them in PVE.... I think both character updates will also make their crashes a lot harder.

for carnage

will be fun with mr fantastic/medusa.... but is going to be a huge bitch to deal with against the doc oc clash who will just match your attack tiles and make his own eventually hitting your limit to make your own and have the board filled with his... and if he doesn't match yours his blue will still do massive damage.

and then for drax.

his black got quite the damage nerf and while it is nice it has some board shake it requires enemy special tiles which star lord will drop some only after you fire a power.

his purple

is way more interesting in general (and apparently inspired from the countdown damage glitch) It will be fun to use with others that have countdown timers but for the purposes of the clash... it will merely be a 10 costing purple move that drops a small strike tile and does nothing else as drax can't make countdown tiles.... not that he could really trigger the move before either.

Dalek

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: ROCKET & GROOT

puz_story_master.jpg

The next characters to receive a “Marvel Puzzle Quest” upgrade bring bombs, bullets, and rocket fuel to the party.

Prepare yourself for Rocket and Groot reloaded as 4-Star brawlers to celebrate the release of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.” We talked to D3 Go! Senior Producer Josh Austin about the pint-size pair and how they fit into the “Puzzle Quest” universe.

Marvel.com: Following close on the heels of Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2) we have a revamped Rocket and Groot! How do they differ from their 3-Star incarnation?

Josh Austin: The most obvious difference is the size of Groot! Other than that obvious size difference, this 4-star Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) is more atomic, focusing on their last power, where an Atomic Bomb Countdown tile is created and will damage the enemy team, or if it’s matched before it resolves, it will damage both the opposing team and the players team.

Marvel.com: Thinking about Rocket and Groot’s dynamic as inseparable pals, what’s it like creating different abilities for two characters who work as one?

Josh Austin: Actually for these two it’s a lot of fun. Their characteristics from the trailer sparked the final animation sequence and power change. The “Don’t Push this Button” part of the trailer was fun and found its way into the game. Since Rocket and Groot are so inseparable, it makes it fun to combine them. Though, I have heard the community would like a 5-star “baby” Groot.

Marvel.com: Let’s talk a little about Rocket and Groot’s kit. What kind of trouble will these two be stirring up?

Josh Austin: Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)’s first power is called Rocket’s Pack and it costs 12 Blue AP. For this power, Rocket zips around the battlefield with his new Aero Rig, blasting any poor schmo that gets in his way. If a Blue Countdown tile hasn’t been created for this power already, this power creates one that deals damage and creates a Black Attack tile each turn.

Their second power is called Welcome to the Team and it’s a Yellow Passive, which means it costs 0 AP. At the start of the battle, this creates a bunch of Strike tiles. If there is another member of the Guardians of the Galaxy on their team, this creates stronger Strike tiles instead. Welcome to the frickin’ Guardians of the Galaxy.

The final power is the most involved! The last power is called Don’t Push This Button and costs 10 Green AP. Rocket yells at Groot to not push that button [because] it will kill everyone! Using this ability first creates a 3-Turn Atomic Bomb countdown tile that deals damage to the enemy team. If it’s matched away, it deals slightly less damage then if the bomb went off to the enemy team and about 1/4th the damage to the players team.

While the Atomic Bomb countdown tile is on screen, this power becomes “I Aaaaaaam Grooooot!” which is a Green AP Passive. At the start of each turn, Groot makes a match for you. This clears lines and creates critical tiles as normal, but no extra turns. When the Atomic Bomb Countdown tile is matched or goes off, this power becomes Don’t Push This Button again.

Animation-Dont-Push-This-Button.jpg

Marvel.com: Welcome to the Team is really interesting. There aren’t too many abilities in the game that change depending on your team composition. Is this something the team is looking into exploring for other characters?

Josh Austin: We hope to be adding a lot of these before the end of the year; there isn’t much we can talk about yet, but we are hoping this becomes more of a thing very, very soon.

Marvel.com: And with I Aaaaaaaam Grooooooot!, does Groot make a move before, or after the player makes a move?

Josh Austin: Groot makes a move before the player does, which gives the player AP. This basically gives the player a few rounds of extra AP generation which is nice!

Marvel.com: Who fits best fighting beside the tree and space rodent? Obviously the Guardians work awesome together, anyone else?

Josh Austin: Because the Don’t Push This Button power is so strong, the player may want to focus on characters that fortify the player’s Countdown tiles like Green Goblin, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), or Hawkeye (Clint Barton). The player could also select someone that enhances or is enhanced by special tiles including Medusa, Punisher (Max), Mr. Fantastic, and Professor X.

Marvel.com: And when do we get a shot at these two troublemakers?

Josh Austin: Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) are available starting on Thursday, May 4. They can be found as placement rewards in the Meet Rocket and Groot event that is running from May 4 through May 8 and features their new art. Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) will be featured and available in the Vault for Thick as Thieves that runs May 7 through May 12.

Their special Guardians of the Galaxy story tie-in event is called Backup Plan, which continues the journey in the I Have a Plan event featuring Star-Lord. This event runs May 11 through May 16 and features Rocket and Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) and grants the player covers in mission rewards. Their Versus Tournament is called Best Buds and runs May 11 through May 15.

zulux21

Sounds like it'd pair nicely with SL/4* CM

indeed. sounds fun in general, if the numbers are good this could be our first good new 4* since what medusa... I mean I think 4* cage is alright, but most of the others since medusa haven't been very exciting.

actually it seems at level 270 and 5 covers for 10 green you get to do 6514 damage if it isn't matched and 5503 if it is matched (and 1800 to your team)

you seem to start with 8 strike tiles of random colors at max level of the passive

and

aka he looks solid in general and indeed good to pair with Carol.

And on their forums, they posted a Q&A about vaulting:

http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64069/answers-to-the-8-questions-about-vaulting-5-2-17

The basic gist of it is that they considered two of their biggest problems to be pack dilution (keeping the same chances at 4 star [and 3 star] characters while adding more characters making it harder to cover any one character), and in turn, the length of time it look to get a single usable 4 star character. Vaulting introduced a ton of other complaints, but it did "fix" those two problems. And it says they're exploring more ways to give out vaulted covers, but they aren't announcing anything.

zulux21

.... holy crap.... the rocket numbers are out.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64064/rocket-groot-awesome-mix-volume-2#latest

12 blue ap
Level 5: Deals 1662 damage and creates a strength 360 Black Attack tile. (countdown tile that activates every turn like human torch)

this big one the yellow passive.

Level 5: Creates 7 strength 132 Strike tiles or strength 276 Strike tiles instead. (the instead if if you have another guardian)

10 green
Level 5: Deals 6614 damage to the enemy team. If matched away, deals 5503 damage to the enemy team and 1804 damage to your team.

and while it is on the board for 3 turns groot makes random matches.

but that yellow...
that is almost 2k in free strike tiles at the start of battle...
that is freaken nuts @_@

he is going to be an absolute must to melt goon nodes as he will double how fast 3* strange kills things.

beyond that though carol plus starlord plus him plus goon that places tiles = massive death. Medusa also would combo nicely just to have her tiles deal damage.

but we have to remember OML spending 9 black to make 800 worth of strength tiles was OP.

Triz

I have a secret...
I maxed out RiRi

Also: My 111 Thing has come close a few times with boosts but not close enough. I think its possible will try throughout the next few days.

MiTYH

4/3/1 Thing vs Torch went well enough. Few tries to get the board right. For me I focused on denying red/black, then green (since after he fires green it's not as bad if he doesn't have the reserves for it. One round he fired it and did no damage for about 5 turns). Red stun was a big help in clearing up the attack tiles when he got them out there

Dalek

4/3/1 Thing vs Torch went well enough. Few tries to get the board right. For me I focused on denying red/black, then green (since after he fires green it's not as bad if he doesn't have the reserves for it. One round he fired it and did no damage for about 5 turns). Red stun was a big help in clearing up the attack tiles when he got them out there

Went well for me too-I have another 5* Thanos cover now.

Triz

Champed Riri and pulled a black Thanos with the token (the only color I didn't have) and it was my first bonus 5 star giving me a black Black Bolt cover. Guess it was worth it.

zulux21

Went well for me too-I have another 5* Thanos cover now.

I got 1000 iso thanks to spiderwoman.

I really should just stockpile CP and tokens until she is out of the vault... I think she isn't that far off from being removed.

edit: wasp is next out... which means I still should pull. After she leaves though I can stock for a while until spiderwoman is gone.

Top Bottom