• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard any kids who say/think this, and what parent is letting their young child play God of War?

You underestimate the amount of kids that don't do everything there parents say, I mean as a kid did you ever have anything that was popular at school you weren't supposed to be a part of that you disobeyed on? It's pretty natural kid stuff.

And I would be willing to bet if you surveyed a bunch of middle schools or even lower you would get more GoW and CoD type answers then Mario and Zelda type answers to a question of what are your favorite games.

Endo Punk

I was wondering if this could work. i mean, Smash Bros sounds like a dream come true; all of nintendo's finest in a game. I just don't feel any connection for the characters in this game than in Smash Bros.

Then again however, I realised that it could be different for someone younger than me. Most of us here are from the SNES/Genesis generation. Those characters meant alot for us. Maybe this game right here will have the same effect Smash Bros. had on me. Maybe,

Playstation era gamer here :) Seeing Parappa and Sweet Tooth duke it brings me so much joy. A lot of nostalgia for these characters and I hope to see more from PS1 and PS2.

darkwing

I'm looking for that info that says each character has about 20 or so moves, anybody help? I'm sure I read it somewhere

Being dead serious for a second here, why does it seem like Fat Princess is a clone of Peach? Through a lot of the videos it looks like she does the hip bomber Side + B move of hers and even has similar animations to a degree. Kratos' spin move appears to behave exactly like Link's Up + B special.

The GT impressions mentioned that they expected her to be a clone of Peach also, but they pointed out that she calls the different classes from FP to attack. She has a few attacks on her own but for the most part she doesn't directly attack the other characters.

soultron

Banned
It's weird to think that kids won't recognize some of the characters. The game will be fun to play for them, but I feel the fanservice is for us.

kinggroin

Banned
Somehow, this LOOKS worse than smash brothers. Oh well, still excited to see if this lands on Vita. This would make for a helluva portable fighter if they can manage quick load times.

Kyon

Banned
Being dead serious for a second here, why does it seem like Fat Princess is a clone of Peach? Through a lot of the videos it looks like she does the hip bomber Side + B move of hers and even has similar animations to a degree. Kratos' spin move appears to behave exactly like Link's Up + B special.

The spinning move has been there since GOW1 and is in every GOW game. Please just stop. It just confirms you havent played the GOW franchise. Which is cool nothing wrong with that but saying the moves are like Link's is just hilarious.

soultron

Banned
I'm looking for that info that says each character has about 20 or so moves, anybody help? I'm sure I read it somewhere

Kratos has a new moveset when he triggers his Lv3S and I'm guessing the same thing happens for Sweet Tooth since he transforms into the ice cream truck.

Mxrz

I was wondering if this could work. i mean, Smash Bros sounds like a dream come true; all of nintendo's finest in a game. I just don't feel any connection for the characters in this game than in Smash Bros.

Then again however, I realised that it could be different for someone younger than me. Most of us here are from the SNES/Genesis generation. Those characters meant alot for us. Maybe this game right here will have the same effect Smash Bros. had on me. Maybe,

Nope. That doesn't work . By that metric, I'm from the Atari generation. I'm hyped as hell. There is no one vs the other deal. Its entirely possible to enjoy characters from more than one 'brand.' But there is no point trying to attach any grandiose meaning to it either way. People want to play as the characters they like in a silly fun game. That's it.

Looks good, looks fun. Hopefully some more compelling characters will be unveiled though I'm a fan of Kratos, Sweet Tooth and Parappa. Radec, and Fat Princess I'm not exactly crazy about

Kaizer

Banned
It's weird to think that kids won't recognize some of the characters. The game will be fun to play for them, but I feel the fanservice is for us.

But that's how it was for me with Smash Bros. Melee when I first played it. I'd never heard of Marth, Roy, Captain Falcon or Shiek.

Wow, reading through this thread, I don't understand where all the hate is coming from. I loved SSB but I haven't owned a nintendo console since the gamecube. I've owned a ps1, ps2 and now a ps3. I would love to have a SSB game on the playstation.

Why would people get angry over a SSB type game for playstation owners. Doesn't make sense.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As much as I would like to play this, something is just holding me back...it doesn't feel right.
The game will have 3rd party characters. FIFA is a 3rd party game. Maybe Messi will be playable?

I just want Cole in, he's the character that has tons of potential. Imagine a Lightning Storm as a level 3. He could be the Princess Zelda of the game by transforming back and forth from Good to Evil.
He is confirmed by the trailer I think. But yeah, he is the best.

test_account

XP-39C²
Interesting to see some comments that people seems to be angry about this game because it looks a lot like Smash Bros gameplay. But i guess maybe they were angry of all the other Smash Bros clones as well.

As for the game itself, i've never been a big fan of Smash Bros or fighting games like this in general, but what i like about these types of games is to see the move sets for each character :)

Trevelyon

I feel there aren't enough Reggie avatars telling me how shameless and completely uninspired this game is. plzpostmore.

But anyways, cautiously optimistic about this. Brawl was a monumental turd for me and I'm hoping Superbot can hit the right spot with this, where that other game left me so cold.

Kyon

Banned
Interesting to see some comments that people seems to be angry about this game because it looks a lot like Smash Bros gameplay. But i guess maybe they were angry of all the other Smash Bros clones as well.

They aren't, i posted almost every title similar and got 0 responce. Only other explanation is that its because its Sony sadly i guess. Oh well :/

I just want Cole in, he's the character that has tons of potential. Imagine a Lightning Storm as a level 3. He could be the Princess Zelda of the game by transforming back and forth from Good to Evil.

Nathan Drake can work, make him into a brawler that combos a lot and for his level 1 finisher it'll be the Brutal combo. Level 2 be some sort of Steel fist combo (shooting and punching) that last for a certain duration. Level 3 I don't know.

remist

I'm interested, but the fact that you can only kill with supers kinda turns me off. I would much rather have health or straight SSB style. I guess I'll have to wait for more gameplay but it seems like supers will dumb the game down.

soultron

Banned
But that's how it was for me with Smash Bros. Melee when I first played it. I'd never heard of Marth, Roy, Captain Falcon or Shiek.

Marth and Roy were, at that time, limited to the most hardcore Nintendo fans, I'd say. IIRC the first entry we saw in NA was the GBA version of Fire Emblem, which was released after Melee.

Captain Falcon wasn't really recognizable unless you had played F-Zero, I'll give you that.

But not knowing who Sheik was? That's basically admitting you had never played Ocarina of Time!

plainr_

This thread is lacking gifs:

ifLGLb2mSKAve.gif

ibpM2r1wrGRxGK.gif

iby7hQmf2oTJFn.gif

Parappa killing it:
iXRI8dwY06WDo.gif

Ravage

Wish i could see the full roster now, but the slow trickle of character reveals over the next few months will give me something to anticipate. It's a good marketing move too imo.

acm2000

i actually thought it was a vita game from those screenshots, and my god, those backgrounds are so distracting, i thought trials evo was bad for that, this is so much worse

shink

I thought I read 12 seems like it's more:
So Square/Triangle/Circle + D-pad direction (12)
Neutral Square/Triangle/Circle (3)
I think L1 is just block and R1 is pick up.
I'm assuming R1 close to another player is a throw move. Not sure about L2/R2.

soultron

Banned
Parappa as my main. Calling it now.

R2 triggers da supes.

Gustav

Banned
This thread is lacking gifs:

http://i.minus.com/ifLGLb2mSKAve.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibpM2r1wrGRxGK.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iby7hQmf2oTJFn.gif[/IMG

Parappa killing it:
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iXRI8dwY06WDo.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

This game has severe readability problems.

Half the idea of this kind of game is throwing together popular characters. If the characters aren't popular that's a problem. If not many people are playing Sony games, or not the right games, or not remembering the characters, or don't care about the characters - those are problems. The quality of the roster is directly tied to familiarity.

So far we have

Kratos (known by masses)
Fat Princess
Sweet Tooth (known by masses)
Sly Cooper (known by masses)
Radec
Parappa the Rapper

Guaranteed to have

Nathan Drake (known by masses)
Jak & Daxter (known by masses)
Ratchet & clank (together or separate, also known by masses)
Sackboy (known by masses)
Cole

This is only counting the main character from each of those games, could add more as there are plenty of characters from those series.

And going way back there's also

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Tomba
Gabriel Logan (Syphon Filter)
Blasto
Jersey Devil
Maximo

And of course could probably get Cloud and Snake one the list as well.

And as been stated, before Smash Melee and Brawl, do you really think the average gamer knew who the hell Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, etc. were? And if you weren't familiar with Fire Emblem, you wouldn't have a clue who Roy and Marth are. Same with Lucas, don't play the Mother games? you have no clue.

And while Nintendo has a large roster of classic characters they also tend to bleed a single franchise dry of every possible character and also pad the character roster pretty heavily with clone characters.

I mean look at Melee characters that are basically the same

Mario and Dr. Mario...
Pikachu and Pichu
Gannondorf and Cap. Falcon
Fox and Falco
Link and Young Link
Samus and Mewtwo (not as copy paste but the concept of charging the energy blast is the exact same.)

Pretty damn padded...

Same thing in Brawl

Link and Toon Link
Gannondorf and Cap. Falcon
Fox and Falco and Wolf
etc. etc.

You get the point. Sure new and cool characters were added like King DeDeDe, Meta Knight, Pit, and Olimar but the padding is still there in full force with clone characters and random characters like Game and Watch and R.O.B. the Robot. Even then reaching out to the randomness that is Snake and Sonic happened. At least Crash Bandicoot and Spyro would have a HUGE reason to appear in the Sony All Stars and wouldn't just be there just because. (They exist because of Playstation)

Long story short, even with Nintendo's great lineup, the Melee/Brawl roster is padded with clone characters and with characters nobody knew about or remembered before they appeared in Melee/Brawl and reached out to a couple 3rd party as well. While Brawl's roster in particular may seem huge, you can cut a ton of fat off of it. While it's a valid argument that Nintendo's characters at least share the same theme/mood and are for the most part happy, for everyone characters that fit well together like Mario and Kirby as apposed to Kratos and Sly Cooper, etc. but the point is, when going for truly popular characters, even Nintendo has shown their limit and already started digging for others for Melee and again with Brawl to fill the list.

If sony were to dig multiple characters out of the Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter games, etc., they could EASILY fill a 20-25 man roster of completely unique characters. The question is will they?

Kaizer

Banned
Marth and Roy were, at that time, limited to the most hardcore Nintendo fans, I'd say. IIRC the first entry we saw in NA was the GBA version of Fire Emblem, which was released after Melee.

Captain Falcon wasn't really recognizable unless you had played F-Zero, I'll give you that.

But not knowing who Sheik was? That's basically admitting you had never played Ocarina of Time!
Well yeah, I'm not a big Zelda series fan (I've found them all to bore me immensely) and I was a PlayStation kid. I remember I used to rent an N64 from BlockBuster to play Pokemon Stadium - but other than that, I never had an N64. I did have a GB & GBA though.

The real point I was trying to make though, was I think as long as a kid/teen recognizes one or two characters in the game (perhaps Drake or Kratos, etc.), they'll be interested enough to play it and then learn about the rest of the characters, much like I did with the Smash Bros. series growing up.

darkwing

I think the R stick does the throws, which could be many

Wish list for characters:

Zidane and/or Vivi (FF9)
Klonoa
Classic Spyro
Laharl (Disgaea)
Maximo (Maximo)

Also, I think Parappa should have retained his 2D cartoon look.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think it looks cool. Who cares if it's a rip-off.

Kevin Butler has to be in the game, right?

edit: Also, if they throw in a Skyline, Fighters MegaMix style, this would be pretty much the coolest game ever.

Gustav

Banned
the game doesnt look as grey as in those gifs, if thats what you think

I've seen the videos. The characters just don't pop enough. Also, the God of War stages are much too murky for good readability. Backgrounds have too much clutter and movement.

After watching all the vids and reading everything it seems that SuperBot is dedicated to making a fun party fighter for everyone to enjoy. All they really need to do is keep up hype and awareness about the game and they'll do just fine.

This thread however can be summed up by the following 2 GIFs.

Audioboxer

Not digging the stage invades/mash-ups. Hope there'd be an option to maybe turn it off, but probably not.

Really?

I think that's probably one thing that sets this apart. A move towards more "dynamic" stages. A change of landscape, things to interact with and elemental damage throughout a stage mixes things up. Not to mention it just looks cool.

An option to keep them default is fine to add, but I think them going on the route they are with as the main focus is pretty cool.

Vire

I don't really have an affinity to any of the Playstation characters so it's hard for me to get excited about this...

There's Drake and Kratos and that's about it.

kyubajin

Wow, just saw the videos and the game does look cool! The Smash Bros series is among my most played games ever so I can't wait to play Sony's version.

My dream additions:

• Nathan Drake
• Crash Bandicoot
• Old Snake
• Isaac Clarke
• Ratchet & Clank
• Pyramid Head
• Raziel/Kain
• Jak & Dexter
• Maiden in Black/Ostrava of Boletaria
• Kazuma Kiryu
• Selvaria Bles