• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM's new patch removes Denuvo

Rellik

I see this becoming a trend. The whole point of it is to keep the game from being cracked in the initial launch window. After that it doesn't matter to them as much.

wwm0nkey

So we can finally mod the fuck out of it? YES!

Also doing this at launch and them removing it later is a good idea imo

Zemm

I'd be fine with denuvo if every game removed it after 6 months, let it stop the pirates on release but don't make the consumer suffer long term.

Permanently A

Brilliant. Protect the initial sales period from pirates and open it up to modding and tweaks later on. Best of both worlds.

epmode

I'd be much happier about Dunuvo if publishers were more transparent about a guaranteed removal date. I'm willing to accept it at launch if it stops zero day piracy.

Eusis

So we can finally mod the fuck out of it? YES!

Also doing this at launch and them removing it later is a good idea imo
Seriously. This was a sore point with an ID GAME of all games, and we probably won't have good of mod tools as we'd like compared to the past. But at least now something can hopefully be done.

Though I guess the big thing after that is mega textures messing things up? Alas.

Nere

Can anyone explain why everyone is so happy for its removal? Played and finished Doom don't see what difference it would make.

epmode

Anyway, this is nice for modding but I'd *really* love to see official mod tools. Snapmap is cool but it doesn't count.

There's always the sequel, I guess.

Santar

Wowsers!! I never dared to dream the dream. I really hope more pc pubs/devs follow this practice. Have Denuvo for a period and then remove it.

MUnited83

For you.
Can anyone explain why everyone is so happy for its removal? Played and finished Doom don't see what difference it would make.
It prevents and limits some kinds of modding. As well as having extremely spotty offline mode, as well as having your game tied to a activation server that will eventually go down and not let you play the game anymore.

epmode

Two things:

Denuvo often prevents user modification of certain important files. Stops piracy but also prevents us from running all sorts of useful mods.

Most Denuvo implementations call home after a patch which adds an unnecessary point of failure and hurts game preservation efforts. What happens when the authentication servers go down and the publisher doesn't want to pay for a patch?

Hopefully this doesn't hurt future sales.

Denuvo for doom has been cracked for a few months already. It hasn't been doing anything but limiting access of legitimate customers for the time being...

Mankind Divided is also cracked already btw, so maybe it should be patched that out of it as well...

jrcbandit

Mods and some people swear it hinders performance (I haven't had that happen)

It doesn't hinder performance, that's just made up BS. Getting rid of Denuvo allows for mods and allows the game to still be played when the Denuvo servers get shut down years from now, benefiting future preservation of games.

itxaka

Defeatist
Fucking A. Protect your frontloaded sales, then let me have the game without relaying on third parties being alive in 15 years. Win-Win.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty cool to see that the new patch adds bots as well to multiplayer. I love that sort of thing.

Mifec

take this with a grain of salt obv

sHM2w.png

HoodWinked

Denuvo overhead is probably negligible unless your system doesnt have enough memory that its being dumped on a pagefile.

but removal of denuvo seems like it did what it was meant to do and slow down the initial piracy window. doom is being sold cheaply on pc now anyways and now removing it so its actually taking away all excuses people would have to pirating it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If this is the trend and the way people use Denuvo going forward (protecting launch window sales) then I'm all for it.

Arulan

This is the best-of-both-worlds scenario for DRM. I have a lot of issues with problematic DRM like Denuvo for long-term preservation, modding, and so-on, but if it gets disabled after a few months or a year, then it can accomplish its early piracy deterrent goal while not negatively affecting legit costumers.

Pakkidis

High seven figure sums sounds kinda nuts.

I can see Denuvo charging different amounts for different games depending on popularity. Doom being super popular, a million plus, doesn't seem all that unreasonable. I'm sure publishers think they lose a lot more to piracy.

Tagyhag

Yep, best scenario, have it on if it increases your sales, then remove it down the line for modding and preservation purposes.

Modded DOOM is going to be awesome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The pricing I've heard for Denuvo is:

Lump sum model:
  • AAA title (bigger 500k units on PC): 100.000 EUR
  • AA title (smaller 500k units on PC): 50.000 EUR
  • Indie title (less than 100k units on PC): 10.000 EUR
Or

Per unit pricing:
  • 2.500 EUR setup fee.
  • 0,15 EUR per unit reported monthly based on Steam owners.

Top Bottom