• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Elop to become new lead of MS' devices division, including Xbox.

Doffen

yeah, he destroyed Nokia share value so MS can take it over.. you are correct.

Nokia was destroing them fine by themselves:

KrzwkN1.jpg

Send Elop an email.

Go on, he will reply.

So much truth.

What a strange piece of news to walk into. Either way you look at this situation, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of the Xbox brand. If Elop really did destroy Nokia in order to sell it to Microsoft, than imagine the kind of shady as fuck dealings that will be taking place under his watch.
If Elop didn't destroy Nokia deliberately, than the man who destroyed Nokia by accident is now running Microsoft's biggest profit-eating department. The Xbox brand has been a black whole for Microsoft's cash flow since it's introduction; they've failed to make a net profit in nearly ten years.
In either case, this isn't good news.

What do you mean by "net profit." The Xbox division routinely turns a profit now. Are you comparing the profit it yields on an annual basis with the investment in the console ecosystem over the entire lifespan of the Xbox brand? That's an interesting approach.

Ushae

Banned
Anyone who even remotely cares about the Xbox brand should be crying over this news. Awful choice... good lord.

You couldn't be anymore wrong, he's a lot better than Larson-Green from a consumer perspective, which is what Xbox happens to be .. a consumer device.

n!smo

Neo Member
Quite interesting to see how Microsoft employees are returning in one way or another. First there is Peter Moore (EA) with the “special” partnership and now Elop, who seemingly ran down Nokia in order to adjust the price for Microsoft. Next up: Xbox One exclusive game by Zynga!!!

It´s similar to how Goldman Sachs operates ;-)

EDIT:
Alop
Blop
Clop
Dlop
Elop
Flop

= 6 / 3 = 3 = Half Life 3!!!

Quite interesting to see how Microsoft employees are returning in one way or another. First there is Peter Moore (EA) with the “special” partnership and now Elop, who seemingly ran down Nokia in order to adjust the price for Microsoft. Next up: Xbox One exclusive game by Zynga!!!

It´s similar to how Goldman Sachs operates ;-)

it's how lobbyist work in the US government.

marrec

Banned
You have to bless the guy that help MS buy them for cheap. Some people forget he use to work at MS....

And everyone seems to forget that Nokia lost most of their value well before Elop joined.

Look at their financials in 2009, it was a sinking ship.

lupinko

So Microsoft replaces Mattrick with a fellow Canadian?

You gotta hand it to MS, at least they like to keep it international.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Now the mobile OS world is becoming very hardware centric: iOS/Apple, WP/Microsoft, Android/Motorola. I wonder how Samsung, HTC and others are planning their future. Don't think that Motorolo being owned by Google is not a bad thing for 3rd party Android devices manufactures.

To a lot of people, Samsung = Android and Android = Samsung. Samsung sunk a lot of money in the Galaxy brand and its paid off handsomely.

Samsung rolled the entire market in 2011-2012, including Motorola. HTC and LG are really struggling right now and Moto is basically irrelevant. Google shouldn't have bought them.

thepg12

Neo Member
Do all the conspiracy theorist honestly believe Microsoft purposely let Windows Phone do poorly just so they could buy Nokia?

watership

Biggest mistake Nokia made was clinging to Symbian and MeeGo too long.

Real truth right there. They were using MeeGo and Symbian 3 years after the iPhone, which is insane. MeeGo was nowhere near ready to replace Symbian, even then. A lot of people think Android would have saved them. Considering that HTC is struggling under the weight of Samsung, I'm not sure that would have done Nokia any good. It certainly wouldn't have helped them during their transition, where Microsoft transfer payments kept them from melting down.

thepg12

Neo Member
The fact that they paid less for Nokia, a huge brand at that, than Skype is very telling.. Very. Elop was a Trojan..

What's telling? The only way for them to buy Nokia's hardware division at that price was for Windows Phone to do poorly/fail. You think Microsoft let their big play into the growing mobile market fail just so they could buy Nokia?

n!smo

Neo Member
Do all the conspiracy theorist honestly believe Microsoft purposely let Windows Phone do poorly just so they could buy Nokia?

Well that´s one of the theoies. I think it has more to do with Microsoft ensuring that WP is at least on one phone and not slipping into oblivion, seeing how HTC jumped ship after 8x and 8s.

thepg12

Neo Member
Well that´s one of the theoies. I think it has more to do with Microsoft ensuring that WP is at least on one phone and not slipping into oblivion, seeing how HTC jumped ship after 8x and 8s.

Jumped ship? They're still a Windows Phone partner

watership

Not really, but they didn't expect this;

6a00e0097e337c8833017c366c3906970b-pi

6a00e0097e337c8833017c3636bfac970b-pi

6a00e0097e337c8833017ee7da0bed970d-pi

6a00e0097e337c8833017d4065d8b8970c-pi

6a00e0097e337c8833017ee7bd3b14970d-pi

6a00e0097e337c8833017c3566ec3c970b-pi

If I was a Nokia shareholder I would be looking for legal advice regarding this acquisition.

What's the source of those charts? I know they quote sources for the data, but that group of charts reads like some Nokia fan who hates Microsoft using data and a lot of confirmation bias to make it look like Nokia was doing fine and dandy before MS got involved. It's so off base from what most in the industry knows about the state of the company.

Nokia had almost completely disappeared from the US marketplace, Symbian inadequate to keep with other OSs, and the company was spiraling, held up only by it's low end market. Most of that data represent in that chart is explained by the fact that Nokia transitioned away from Symbian. That loss would have been there with Meego/Manhattan, even with Android. New devices don't do anything when most of your market is moving to iphone.

What's telling? The only way for them to buy Nokia's hardware division at that price was for Windows Phone to do on poorly/fail. You think Microsoft let their big play into the growing mobile market fail just so they could buy Nokia?

It has nothing to do with the fact that Windows phone failed because there was a lot at motion such as the attention to hardware. Nokia wasn't doing anything extremely risky in that sense and certainly wasn't trying hard to really market the device in outside regions. It's got rid of its own OS just for Windows 8? Come on, they knew that they could of made riskier hardware with another OS system but they didn't because obviously it was a ship he had no intentions on saving. People can't even use HTC as an example because HTC hasn't been in the business as long as Nokia neither do they have the brand appeal.

PG2G

I have nothing but respect for Elop so this is great news as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure he will end up at the CEO position though

BTW, how can we even blame Elop for the effect of a leaked memo?

Yeah I do love that graph. The point that is lost there though is that Nokia had to drop Symbian at one point. There was no chance it could have never been made a viable platform against Windows Phone, Android and iOS. Then there was MeeGo which more or less had the same chances. When they moved from one platform to another it meant a huge restructure. Naturally that caused the migration rate falling behind as shown in the graph. There was no way that development could have been avoided; Elop or not.

Biggest mistake Nokia made was clinging to Symbian and MeeGo too long.

Switching to WP instead to Android was the biggest mistake here. And that's Elop fault.

Flatline

Banned
The worst thing about Elop is that he's just another suit that knows nothing about gaming. I don't expect him to be any better than Mattrick.

thepg12

Neo Member
It has nothing to do with the fact that Windows phone failed because there was a lot at motion such as the attention to hardware. Nokia wasn't doing anything extremely risky in that sense and certainly wasn't trying hard to really market the device in outside regions. It's got rid of its own OS just for Windows 8? Come on, they knew that they could of made riskier hardware with another OS system but they didn't because obviously it was a ship he had no intentions on saving. People can't even use HTC as an example because HTC hasn't been in the business as long as Nokia neither do they have the brand appeal.

They made a billion dollar deal with Microsoft to use Windows Phone. Symbian and Maemo/Meego were going no where. They were allowed to focus on hardware and Microsoft let them mess with certain areas of Windows Phone that they didn't allow other device manufacturers to do. $1 billion wouldn't have come from any other company had they chose another OS. On top of all that, it wasn't only Elop's decision, it was approved by the board.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I dont know if you should be putting the man who ran Nokia into the ground in charge of Xbox.

Also, Doesnt this prove what people have been saying all along? That elop was always a Microsoft man and was put there to essentially make Nokia a Microsoft company, with a view to buy them eventually?

Nokia has always had great hardware shit software.

He's a perfect fit if the xb1 design wasn't already set in stone.

No way the Xbox division is getting spun off. Now MS has a hardware center for phones and have pretty much aligned all their devices under a single brand and OS they will not start destroying that unity they have been striving to attain.

The whole company is getting a re-org it seems to try to make it all run better. It will take 3 or so years to see the benefits, if at all, of all of this change.

So neither Elop nor Julie know anything about gaming. This will be interesting. They could exceed our wildest expectations and actually be successful because of that they walk into this without any preconceived notions. Or they could fail pretty bad. I honestly think its a boom or bust kind deal. Too bad Mattrick hampered their start though.

Dipswitch

I'd take this rumor with a large grain of salt. They've just completed a large re-org, which puts Green in charge of the hardware division - and now mere months (weeks?) later, they pull a switcheroo for Elop? Considering the Nokia deal has been in the works for a while, that doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Nor does it make sense for Elop to be given that position when per Balmer, he's in the mix for the CEO position.

Consider me highly skeptical.

Do you think Elop made that decision alone?

BTW, Nokia's smartphone sales aren't really that far behind the non-Samsung Android OEMs.

I want to think that Elop was the only delusional folk at Nokia pushing for WP, even so he was the CEO after all, he should have the last word in a decision so important for the longterm of the company.

Also while their Lumia sales aren't that far behind, still other Android OEM's are still growing further and they are also stealing their feauture phone sales. Droping their market share percentage like a stone.

Top Bottom