• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this game collection worth $35,000? (eBay)

TheNatural

My Member!
Someone wrote on the Q&A page. "25K for everything? A: Sorry, no"

Guessing that's a fake account. If this guy got a 25,000 offer for that crap he must be the dumbest man alive to not take it.

scitek

Turning down $25k for a collection of video games is something I don't think I could do. They're just video games, and I'll likely never play many of the old ones again. I used to think I would, but the truth of the matter is I don't.

GloveSlap

My collection used to be way better than that and I don't think mine was worth much more than $10,000. I had a nice sealed collection too.

I used to really like collecting, but emulation, virtual console, and re-releases kind of took the fun out of it. I just kept a genesis, snes, nes, and a modest selection of games.

Esura

Banned
Better than mines atm but I wouldn't spend that much for this.

Kind of off topic but I'm curious anyways. Do anyone who collects keep their games in their wrapper or buy two copies, one to play and one to keep unopened? I used to do the latter but it was becoming a bit costy to do. Now I mostly just buy one copy and have it opened. Like I was going to buy two copies of Graces f but I decided against it.

I'd say it's worth about $5-10k at the most.

He has a ton of Xbox 360, PSP, PS3, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, GBA/GBC games which individually are only worth $10-30 each.

Most of those Saturn and Sega CD games are only worth about the same.

The boxed SNES games are worth maybe $50-100 each (for the rare RPGs).

Snatcher for Sega CD I've seen for $100-200 on ebay.

Not sure about Earthbound but can't be more than that.

Suikoden 2 is $150 maybe?

It's a nice collection but he needs to pull his head out of his ass, contact the guy who offered $25k and beg him to accept.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Some of the systems could be wild cards IMO. The PSP LEs could not be worth that much or could be worth a a ton in and of themselves.

PK Gaming

Nope

Games aren't meant to be played first, and collected on the side. And really, let's be honest a lot of those games aren't even worth touching.

If my backlog wasn't larger than his collection, and I actually wanted to buy them, I would say he has a pretty nice collection.

I reviewed his PS2, Wii and DS games (latest consoles I have bought), and I would buy most games individually. Many of them were among games I want, didn't bought, and are hard to find.

But the question is will anyone actually ever even 'play' more than a few percent of those games? And if not, pretty sure buying the games they would play individually will cost most probably less than 1,000; so as a gaming perspective it isn't worth it at all, but for collectors, maybe

There was an article a few years back of a record collector that had millions of vinyl, had a cooled storage room paying a high electricity bill and all. Worth millions.

Couldn't sell it for even a few hundred thousand thanks to most of the collection being on mp3 on the net.

outside of a few prints that were discontinued and dj's/producers wanted, the collection was just not moving.

Collecting now a days is a fools errand unless its just for personal appreciation.
I would guess that's exactly how this guy(and probably 99.9999% of game collectors) went about amassing his collection. Otherwise, it wouldn't be collecting. Rather, it would be investing. And like you said, doing it for investment is a fool's errand, which is why I don't know a single person who's done it.

Most likely, he's just come to a point where he needs the money, needs the space, or just lost his enthusiasm for his hobby.

As for the lack of Panzer Dragoon Saga, that he seems to have gotten a lot of criticism for, I'm guessing he probably had it and already sold it, separately.

And, no, I don't think it's worth 35K, because I don't believe anyone is going to give him that much for it. Though, it does tell me he really did love his collection, and didn't do it in hopes to one day make a fortune off of it. That's a common problem that true collectors have, when it finally comes time to sell their collections. They've put a lot of time and effort into their hobbies, and they value their collections far more than they're worth on the open market.

He might be able to get more, selling smaller packages or individual games, but would that be worth the extra time and effort to do that? It might be time he doesn't have, if he's getting rid of it because he's having a baby or something.

The $25k "offer" was probably either him or someone he knows, just to "show" people that this is really "valuable."

Couple grand, maybe $5k tops for the lot. Sure there are some $50, $100, and one or two $150-$200 games in there, but not very many. The vast majority can be bought for pretty cheap.

And damn, Infinite Space goes for $60? I almost bought that new for like $20.

My theory? He put it up there to start a GAF thread in which we discuss his game collection. Mission accomplished, guy.

Mitsurux

There are a few stand out titles, some filler and some nice complete in box items...

But there is NO way its worth what he is asking...

Cloudy

Banned
is he too lazy to sell them individually?

I had 22 psp games and I was too lazy. Probably lost $100 selling them in a bundle but whatever.

This guys collection might have been worth the money a few years ago but with DD, 99% those games will be re-released eventually

Persona7

Banned
The $25k "offer" was probably either him or someone he knows, just to "show" people that this is really "valuable."

Couple grand, maybe $5k tops for the lot. Sure there are some $50, $100, and one or two $150-$200 games in there, but not very many. The vast majority can be bought for pretty cheap.

And damn, Infinite Space goes for $60? I almost bought that new for like $20.

My theory? He put it up there to start a GAF thread in which we discuss his game collection. Mission accomplished, guy.

I wish Infinite Space was that cheap, I don't think I have ever saw it drop below 40 bucks and I missed my chance then.

Satchel

Banned
I'm fairly confident my collection of stuff (including consoles and accessories as well as games) would be worth more than his. Even then not 35K.

I really doubt anyone offered him 25k and he turned it down. Probably a friend he had post the offer to make the screwball selling price seem legit

No Panzer Dragoon Saga? Weak!

Definitely not worth 35K, but worth thousands of dollar for sure. It helps a lot of those games are sealed and older games sealed are worth quite a bit usually. Plus everything thats not sealed is complete and I'm assuming is in great condition.

Earthbound complete alone is worth upwards of $600.

I don't imagine he thinks someone is going to hit the BIN on $35K; I think it's deliberately set high so he can collect offers. Without speaking with him directly I don't really know if this person is crazy or just fielding offers while using eBay as a way of advertising that this stuff is out there.

That said, while the collection is clearly not $35,000 worth of stuff, it's closer to it (in terms of adding up the retail value of each individual item) than the majority of you seem to be giving him credit for. That Earthbound would sell for $500.

There are a lot of Saturn games there that go for between 50 and 100, and those add up. He doesn't have the rarest NES games but he does have Chip & Dale 2 and Duck Tales 2, which are about $100 each. EVO, Wild Guns, etc. on SNES are all approaching the $100 mark. Etc.

On the other hand, you can't sell a whole bundle of expensive things for the price you'd get for them individually.

zoukka

Bah the more you sell at a time the more you give discount. That price demand is absurd and hilarious.

Also you just end up with a lot of games and nothing to collect.

orion434

I'd like to know if there is a Strategy Guide Bookcase? When I sold my games and guides back in 2006 I made $6,000 and I'd say more than 1/2 of it was because of all the NM Strategy Guides I preserved.

(._.)

Banned
Guy is a greedy idiot. No way is that remotely worth 35K. If I wanted this stuff cluttering my house I would bid maybe max $1500. No way is it worth much more than $3000. Suggested value from a seller is such bullshit. Everybody knows this stuff isn't worth much apart from maybe a couple truly rare retro games. You're pretty much going to have to take a substantial loss when selling a collection in bulk. idiot probably overpaid for all of this. could probably hit up yard sales and local pawn shops and get most of these games for spare change.

Some definitely nice gems in there, but if that's going for $35,000, I'd like to know what mine would be. Mine is roughly three to four times that size, not only with games but tons of promo merchandise/rare statues/Japanese promo posters etcetc.

I should take pics someday...

Biggest error in my collection is lack of NES and Saturn games though.
Had a few oppurtunities to obtain massive NES/Saturn collections but blew them. For example my cousin's mom sold his NES collection of over 80 games to some man down the street for around $35 around 1999. Same for Saturn, but he had around 20 games.

I don't imagine he thinks someone is going to hit the BIN on $35K; I think it's deliberately set high so he can collect offers. Without speaking with him directly I don't really know if this person is crazy or just fielding offers while using eBay as a way of advertising that this stuff is out there.

That said, while the collection is clearly not $35,000 worth of stuff, it's closer to it (in terms of adding up the retail value of each individual item) than the majority of you seem to be giving him credit for. That Earthbound would sell for $500.

There are a lot of Saturn games there that go for between 50 and 100, and those add up. He doesn't have the rarest NES games but he does have Chip & Dale 2 and Duck Tales 2, which are about $100 each. EVO, Wild Guns, etc. on SNES are all approaching the $100 mark. Etc.

On the other hand, you can't sell a whole bundle of expensive things for the price you'd get for them individually.

Yea, people in this thread are underestimating what all of this is really worth. I wonder if someone here who has the time would actually add up what everything listed is worth.

To throw out some more prices, Dracula X on snes complete is worth around $200. The GBA Micro famicom edition is worth around $200. So between Earthbound, Dracula X, GBA micro, Snatcher, Duck Tales 2, Chip N Dale 2 is $1500 just right there.

i think putting that absurd figure is to drive interest...it seemed like he works.
Personally, i prefer collecting in box rare consoles rather than actual games. Its weird he didnt have a few boxed saturns/AES/dreamcasts/Virtual boys or whatever in there.

Every time that some crazy old collectors classic (think Radiant Silvergun or something like that) gets released for cheap on a digital platform it makes me happy. Classic games can be great and the more people who get to go back and easily replay them on the modern platform of their choice the better. I hate to see gaming classics getting swapped around for $100+ on eBay or locked up in collections like this one, too much of gaming's history made hard and unavailable to play.

Persona7

Banned
I don't understand the demand for the GCN component cable, when the backwards compatible Wii can play it with the same controller, looking better in 480p, etc.

Nintendo only manufactured them for a limited time if I remember correctly. They also removed the digital AV port halfway through the gamecubes life cycle from newer manufactured consoles.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Yea, people in this thread are underestimating what all of this is really worth. I wonder if someone here who has the time would actually add up what everything listed is worth.

To throw out some more prices, Dracula X on snes complete is worth around $200. The GBA Micro famicom edition is worth around $200. So between Earthbound, Dracula X, GBA micro, Snatcher, Duck Tales 2, Chip N Dale 2 is $1500 just right there.

Man, what?

I need to sell my stuff.

I just don't like ebay anymore. Selling off hundreds of different games would be a pain. I'm also scared off by the stories of folks being burned by buyers who say they didn't get the merchandise that you sold them, and then your Paypal account is on lockdown, and you're out both the money and merch.

Nintendo only manufactured them for a limited time if I remember correctly. They also removed the digital AV port halfway through the gamecubes life cycle from newer manufactured consoles.

I see, so just rarity then. If we're talking about accessories (not limited consoles, etc), I wonder how much the US Super Nintendo "tier 2" controller complete in box is worth that was produced reall late into it's lifespan, almost bordering into N64 days (it had Super Mario RPG characters on the front). The "tier 2" US SNES contoller has an indented Nintendo logo instead of a Super Nintendo logo on the front.

I dunno, that's a pretty nice shelf.

Wait a second, are those Skylanders hung on the wall?

You found him out...he's selling his old collection to fund his new addiction to collecting Skylanders figures.

What...has the world come to...

Top Bottom