• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Ouya dev console unboxing, complete with early controller

Booter

I think a lot of people haven't really considered that *so many* of the games that are built for android touch devices simply won't work at all with a controller...

Its similar to having one of those Smart TV/Smart TV adapters, except way more powerful and was built with bluetooth capability in mind. Oh and it comes with 2 controllers for gaming. Pair a bluetooth Media keyboard and mouse and its the best media console you'll ever have.

I hate the way Android handles network drives, so no expandable memory is a downer. I guess its USB HDD or bust.

Okay this might sound really really stupid but...

I don't have.. any .. media..device/adapter-thingies..

I guess it does a lot more than just playing games?

herod

Nope Tegra 4 is here.. waiting 3 months for over 4x the performance would not hurt at all... as well a great selling point.

they'd have to get systems to the devs first, let them develop, then push out to users later, introducing more and more delays into the system just means someone else could beat them to the market.

as said previously, there is absolutely no reason why they can't follow up a successful launch with rapid hardware upgrades, just like tablets and smartphones. But they need to get to market asap. Hype has a short half-life.

they'd have to get systems to the devs first, let them develop, then push out to users later, introducing more and more delays into the system just means someone else could beat them to the market.

as said previously, there is absolutely no reason why they can't follow up a successful launch with rapid hardware upgrades, just like tablets and smartphones. But they need to get to market asap. Hype has a short half-life.

There really isn't a great selling point.. playing cellphone games on TV.. but Tegra 4 spec wise could compete with consoles. Not to mention there are cellphone adapters that will allow you to play cellphone games on TV, which makes Ouya with it low spec kind of gimmick.

herod

There willing isn't a great selling point.. playing cellphone games on TV.. but Tegra 4 spec wise could compete with consoles. Not to mention there are cellphone adapters that will allow you to play cellphone games on TV, which makes Ouya with it low spec kind of gimmick.

it takes 18 months minimum and millions of dollars to develop console quality games. This is just not feasible or reasonable. They can launch these on the Tegra 5 hardware when the chip costs are reasonable in 2014.

Reclaimer

No 4k output, no buy.

(Actually, I got in on the kickstarter limited edition console buy. Excited to play some small indie games, and mess with emulators!)

it takes 18 months minimum and millions of dollars to develop console quality games. This is just not feasible or reasonable.

You'd be surprise what indie developers can do.. don't sell them short.

They can launch these on the Tegra 5 hardware when the chip costs are reasonable in 2014.

I'm sure there will be a Tegra 5 but as of now Nvidia is focusing on releasing Tegra 4 in 3 months with 6x the performance. Nvidia will be seeing how this sells before even mentioning a part 5. So lets stay focus on the hardware at hand.

Portugeezer

Looks like it costs $99 :p

But really, it could be cool if this gets a lot of 2D games, 3D games look like poop on it especially on a TV... I can imagine!

herod

You'd be surprise what indie developers can do.. don't sell them short.

yeah, I'm sure they can do some nice procedurally generated stuff. Kicking the can down the road is the problem, not showing up the PS3/360. Development time. Delays to include new chips and get those to devs.

Tunin

Oh boy, this is gonna be good. I can't wait to see all kinds of emulators running on it, this will be the definitive retro player.

herod

What's stopping Samsung or Google from creating a better product for cheaper?
Or anyone for that matter?

I'd imagine it's too small beer for Samsung and has no core search relevance for Google at the moment. If it takes off, the chequebooks will come out.

Consumers I imagine.
This thing has no reason for existing other than catchphrases

I also just want to point out that the Gamecube retailed for less and you got more.

Ponn

Banned
It is $100 for a nice emulator box.

Not really getting this line of thinking. We already have plenty of consoles that have been hacked to death for emulation, we really need another? And such a niche market to target that inheriently is not profitable. I see this going down in flames.

Reclaimer

Uhm...enlighten you with what? Thats the price you could buy it at, and a lot less (mine was like £69 with a game iirc and the additional controllers were nice prices too).

You got a GameCube, at launch, with bundled game, for £69? Surely that's years after release.

If you want to start making those kinds of arguments, I'd say I could find a used SNES with a dozen games and multiple controllers for less than an Ouya. Or an iPad 1 with a million mobile apps.

And you said with the GameCube you "get more".... Get more what? More Hulu? More Android games? More emulators? It's Android... You get a LOT.

These are all different systems for different wants/needs. I didn't think we'd be comparing niche android-mobile mini consoles to Nintendo just yet.

EDIT: this comes off sounding really defensive, sorry! I'm just shocked that people don't see a small market for a cheap android mini console / media machine. Maybe not a big enough market to make a difference, but again.. Android is the market. This is just another gadget tapping into that.

You got a GameCube, at launch, with bundled game, for £69? Surely that's years after release.

True, but not long after release it was officially $99.

If you want to start making those kinds of arguments, I'd say I could find a used SNES with a dozen games and multiple controllers for less than an Ouya. Or an iPad 1 with a million mobile apps.

When I bought the Gamecube it was maybe mid/late gen, it was a few years in but still being sold as the main console and releases were still coming out. It wasn't bargain bit; that was just the price the Gamecube was sold for.

And you said with the GameCube you "get more".... Get more what? More Hulu? More Android games? More emulators? It's Android... You get a LOT.

I personally feel you don't get enough for the bucks being spent. For a few extra quid you could get much much more. Or for a few quid less pretty much the same.

EDIT: this comes off sounding really defensive, sorry! I'm just shocked that people don't see a small market for a cheap android mini console / media machine. Maybe not a big enough market to make a difference, but again.. Android is the market. This is just another gadget tapping into that.

Don't worry, not too defensive :p
I'll be open in saying I don't actually see the point of a Android Box (well, not in this form); and I don't see much quality coming from it.

I can already get pretty cheap media machines that I think will be a bit more trustworthy in terms of quality as well as consoles that I can use as media machines

Meanwhile Emulation sounds like fine, but not for me and I think other devices would do it better.

Okay this might sound really really stupid but...

I don't have.. any .. media..device/adapter-thingies..

I guess it does a lot more than just playing games?

Does everything Android can do.

there are a lot of people here way more negative than they need to be. If the product doesn't interest you, just leave the topic. I can see a great use for this in my home, so I'm sitting up and paying attention.

People like samsung don't want to take the risk at such a thing i'm guessing, but sometimes it takes the oddball or someone else out there to start up something which catches on.

If the OUYA does extremely well people will follow, a good example is apple with the iPad, once they made it and started selling it all types of tablet pc's have become super popular.

Nothing really, and if they do competition is often a good thing. But the OUYA has the huge advantage of being first to market, getting a LOT of press, and a lot of game-industry knowledge behind it. I mean, you can't just release a game box and expect to succeed, you gotta get the games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sound like a worn record now but Apple needs to develop a decent gamepad that's iPad and AppleTV compatible and they will kill this dead in it's tracks.

I guess they don't want to because it would be a tacit admission that a touch screen isn't sufficient for gaming.

jman2050

Nothing really, and if they do competition is often a good thing. But the OUYA has the huge advantage of being first to market, getting a LOT of press, and a lot of game-industry knowledge behind it. I mean, you can't just release a game box and expect to succeed, you gotta get the games.

First to what market?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
there's something worryingly conservative about packing in a 360 controller clone. it doesn't exactly scream confidence in their vision of a neo-renaissance for lo-fi indie gaming. it doesn't scream any vision at all.

pack in a 6 button snes-alike with a neo-geo pocket clicky stick and i might pay attention.

jman2050

The budget/indie game console market, filling the gap that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are mostly ignoring.

Frankly, the Vita demographic is more existant than this.

As I've said before, I still don't get the point of this product. What need is it filling that isn't already being filled elsewhere?

As I've said before, I still don't get the point of this product. What need is it filling that isn't already being filled elsewhere?

You honestly don't see a market for a cheap game console with cheap games, particularly in this economy? I mean, the cheapest normal retail price you can get a Wii U for is $300, XBox 360 is $200, PS3 is $300, even a plain old Wii is $130, compared to the Ouya's $99. In addition, all the Ouya games will be free to download, and I'd be willing to bet the highest-priced games will be $20, which is normally the budget price on consoles. So cheap games that you can try for free and only pay for if you really like them (or if you're a real cheapskate, only play the free bits and never pay for a game).

Also, a LARGE percentage of games on the Ouya are going to be indie games, which are often very great games since they take the risks the big publishers aren't willing to make - if you like indie games, this is the console for you, it'll probably eventually end up with more indie games than come out on PC, assuming the Ouya sells decently.

jman2050

You honestly don't see a market for a cheap game console with cheap games, particularly in this economy? I mean, the cheapest normal retail price you can get a Wii U for is $300, XBox 360 is $200, PS3 is $300, even a plain old Wii is $130, compared to the Ouya's $99. In addition, all the Ouya games will be free to download, and I'd be willing to bet the highest-priced games will be $20, which is normally the budget price on consoles. So cheap games that you can try for free and only pay for if you really like them (or if you're a real cheapskate, only play the free bits and never pay for a game).

Also, a LARGE percentage of games on the Ouya are going to be indie games, which are often very great games since they take the risks the big publishers aren't willing to make - if you like indie games, this is the console for you, it'll probably eventually end up with more indie games than come out on PC, assuming the Ouya sells decently.

Those are some hilariously inflated expectations you have there.

Also I don't play indie games just because they're indie, only if they're good. And the dirty little secret of "indie" games is that most of them suck, so why should I bother?

Blitzzz

I think you are overlooking the cheap HT market. Currently comparable set top boxes (Pivos Xios DS) are about the same price but you also get the bonus gaming aspect (controllers, dev support) with Ouya

I would personally get one for xbmc alone.....the gaming stuff is just extra

Ponn

Banned

Heres the problem, no name recognition. Indie gamers and the ios gamers these would attract will already have a device to play these games on. If you are thinking a mom is going to be going into a store asking what cheap console to get their kid the clerk is NOT going to point to the Ouya abd say Angry Birds? They are going to point to the Wii with Mario and a huge, platinum hits cheap library or a Xbox, which will probably have another price drop by 720 launch, and its huge cheap library. Its not being negative, just realistic when it comes to mass market. $100 is cheap, but still a hundred bucks that with a little more can buy into a bigger stronger console library. Its going to be an interesting experiment to watch.

El Sloth

Banned
No bumpers/secondary triggers on the controller?

Not really feeling the form of the controllers at the moment, but I'm just going to assume everything is subject to change.
Are you really calling someone out for posting something of questionable usefulness?
bLZ4G.gif

charsace

I think a lot of people haven't really considered that *so many* of the games that are built for android touch devices simply won't work at all with a controller...
Did you ever consider that games that could be designed with Ouya in mind? I could see people making games for the Ouya specs and then porting them to PC and consoles. Especially 2D games.

Jezbollah

Getting one of the final versions of the Ouya shipped over to the UK - looking forward to being able to stream Plex and Twitch.tv to whatever room in the house I decide to put it in. :)

Tobor

Nothing at all. Samsung is already rumored to be working on a gaming platform, which will most likely be integrated directly into future TVs.

Top Bottom