• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Tieno

Bridge to nowhere

bridge_01.jpg

bridge_04.jpg

bridge_06.jpg

bridge_02.jpg
[/IMG]
bridge_03.jpg

bridge_05.jpg

Coolest thread I've seen in awhile.

168euiv.jpg
sol82f.jpg

Not paintings. The artist painted real people in front of a painted backdrop, i.e. these are photos of people with paint on them.

Tapiozona

Banned
Assuming he means the artist literally put paint on real people to make them look like paintings and had them stand in front of a painted backdrop then took a picture.

Sofo said:
Doesn't do it for me, it's too creepy. Reminds me of humanly wax sculptures. But cool regardless, in an artsy way.
I don't get why she just didn't paint over their eyelids. The eyes ruin so many of her pictures.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
PantherLotus said:
Sunrise Over Mars made me literally gasp. Beautiful and haunting. Reminds me of that two sun shot of Luke.
i think that photo is actually a sunset on mars

revolverjgw said:

A wonderful picture, but I think the sparseness of this version works much better.
3_speechless.jpg

This image always spoke to me so much as a teenager. Just a simple, elegant lithograph. It still makes me tear up just a little bit every time I see it.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I don't get why she just didn't paint over their eyelids. The eyes ruin so many of her pictures.

I like that the eyes are real. If you couldn't tell the difference, what would the point be?

Kelthink

If anybody wants more of the fantastical scenic pictures, kepguru.hu has loads of the pictures. Shame the resolution doesn't go up to 1920x1080 though. I'm almost certain it's not loaded with pop-up adverts, but then I've got AdBlock enabled. And here's stupid images from my image dump:

h229L.jpg

yyZ3Q.jpg

e9qMh.jpg

Found this website that has a lot of pictures of early 20th century America, I'll post some of my favorites.

(click pictures for link to original page, the original pictures are huge)

Detroit, Michigan, circa 1920. "Grand Circus Park, looking toward Washington Boulevard, and Hotels Statler and Tuller."

Detroit, Michigan, circa 1915. "Old Central High School." Now Wayne State University's "Old Main." Detroit Publishing Company.

Louisville, Kentucky, circa 1910. "The White City." One of many "White City" amusements parks, which took their name from the plaster-slathered architectural style popularized by the 1893 Columbian Exposition.

New York circa 1905. "St. Patrick's Cathedral, Fifth Avenue." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company.

Arcipello

i think the OP set the standard... but it slipped quite drastically soon after, pictures of sunsets and trees aren't really doing it for me.

2842280388_41b9c8cac3_o.jpg

22_10_2008_0078797001224690023_misterkey.jpg

22_10_2008_0086668001224690023_misterkey.jpg

06.jpg

explosion_by_johnkyo-d35gfhk.jpg

Ink_Sea_by_ahermin.jpg

Rhythmatic_Structure_I_by_Jay_Cougar_Prints.jpg

fourth_dimensional_vision_by_dennis_calvert-d30jeoo.jpg

float_down_strangers_by_distorted_time-d210ceg.jpg

hotel_ukraina_in_moscow_by_inobras-d2b5y78.jpg

The_sand_stand_by_gilad.jpg

262bbc80e161ee0382a5eafeff03e5ce.jpg