• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10 Confirms That Forza Motorsport 7 Intentionally Runs Mostly on One Core

paulpp

Neo Member
I've done some non-game related investigation of performance issues on multi-core CPUs in the past, and I've seen that the CPU power management can have a real impact on performance and latency.

If there is not enough work to be done, all cores except one can be powered down and multiple threads will run on a single core. With only a single core powered up, thread context switching would introduce latency.

I don't know if this is the case here, but I've definitely seen performance improvements with emulators when I've set the CPU affinity to a single core.

It's possible on consoles that the developer has more control of the CPU's power management states to prevent these type of issues.

tuxfool

Banned
I've done some non-game related investigation of performance issues on multi-core CPUs in the past, and I've seen that the CPU power management can have a real impact on performance and latency.

If there is not enough work to be done, all cores except one can be powered down and multiple threads will run on a single core. With only a single core powered up, thread context switching would introduce latency.

I don't know if this is the case here, but I've definitely seen performance improvements with emulators when I've set the CPU affinity to a single core.

It's possible on consoles that the developer has more control of the CPU's power management states to prevent these type of issues.

Clearly other developers manage just fine, even on games with lower input latency no less.

This not only makes no sense, but this is the same issue Forza Motorsport 6: Apex and Forza Horizon 3 suffered at launch. By limiting the engine to a single CPU Core, microstutters would consistently occur. This introduce additional input latency as well as affected the overall game presentation. Fortunately, both eventually received patches to fix this issue. The fact that Forza Motorsport 7 suffers the same issue is infuriating and baffling.

Hm, how weird and disappointing.

Game generally runs quite nicely on my gaming laptop, but it DOES suffer from consistent dropped frames, like it's throttling on something every once in a while. I guess this kind of explains it, given my understanding of how CPUs work.

I never tried 6 Apex but Forza Horizon 3 was unplayable at launch for basically the same issue, though the staggers would happen far more frequently. It's... mostly playable now, but I still feel like Horizon 3 still leaves a lot to be desired on my laptop compared to playing on Xbox One, because it still does seem to have microstutters now. Much better than having like a full second where the image locks up then the game continues moments later, which is now what happens in Motorsport 7 -- just not as frequently.

kevin1025

Banned
This not only makes no sense, but this is the same issue Forza Motorsport 6: Apex and Forza Horizon 3 suffered at launch. By limiting the engine to a single CPU Core, microstutters would consistently occur. This introduce additional input latency as well as affected the overall game presentation. Fortunately, both eventually received patches to fix this issue. The fact that Forza Motorsport 7 suffers the same issue is infuriating and baffling.

Especially how they talked a good game during Gamescom about how important PC was to them.

Gideon_128

Of the whole thing, that's your problem? That I used one word wrong (use instead of max)?

Here:

mV9bFz7.gif

This is why I read Gaf. Priceless...

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
I don't get why some people are saying the demo ran like shit on their pc while my old i7 3770 ran the game amazingly at max details.

What's the reason for this? Honest question.

BNGames

I've never heard of multithreading causing input lag. Is this legit?

It runs like utter dogshit

Proof: https://youtu.be/O9e0cT24C5c

The frame stutter and pacing were seriously making it hard to play. My video does not do it justice. This game should not be struggling on my rig.

Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
Corsair h80i v2 Liquid Cooler
Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz (Overclocked to 4.5GHz)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING iCX, 8GB GDDR5X (Overclocked to 2.1GHz)
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Z170
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Bstk7nxl.jpg

The frame stutter and pacing were seriously making it hard to play. My video does not do it justice. This game should not be struggling on my rig.

Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Bstk7nxl.jpg

I may have to go back a play it because I have not encountered any issues with it.

7700k here. The game runs great (menus stutter a lot though) but it's disappointing seeing one core maxed out and my temps shooting up to 86c.

Momentary

Banned
You can eliminate framepacing and stuttering issues if you set the game to run above 60FPS and use rivatuner to limit the framerate to 60. Unfortunately the game only allows me to run the game at 72 FPS for some odd reason. Of the game actual supported non locked frame rates then I could probably have the game running at maybe a locked 90FPS. But for some reason this game locks any monitor that is 120 FPS or above at half the refresh. So 120=60, 144=72, 165=82, etc.

Anyway. Here's a video with me having the game running at 72 FPS and limiting it to 60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWEBh22UTc

Aside from the troublesome menus, it runs pretty well
Don't mind the shitty driving

Pepto

Banned

Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804

Bstk7nxl.jpg

Why did you turn off the dynamic optimization?

Skyr

You can eliminate framepacing and stuttering issues if you set the game to run above 60FPS and use rivatuner to limit the framerate to 60. Unfortunately the game only allows me to run the game at 72 FPS for some odd reason. Of the game actual supported non locked frame rates then I could probably have the game running at maybe a locked 90FPS. But for some reason this game locks any monitor that is 120 FPS or above at half the refresh. So 120=60, 144=72, 165=82, etc.

Anyway. Here's a video with me having the game running at 72 FPS and limiting it to 60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWEBh22UTc

Aside from the troublesome menus, it runs pretty well
Don't mind the shitty driving

This is hilarious but that method actually works for me.
One little framdrop in 2 rounds but besides that it was pretty much perfect.

I did not disable any cores btw.

So the culprit may be the integrated frameratelimiter after all?
Because when I'm not limiting it with MSI afterburner as suggested the fps drops from 72->71 or 60->59 with the hitching occuring.
When I'm limiting it with MSI afterburner to 60 when the target is 72 ingame the hitching is gone and it sits perfectly stable at 60.

Such a weird behaviour...

Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804

Bstk7nxl.jpg

Would you please try that method too and see if it works for you?

cHaOs667

7700k here. The game runs great (menus stutter a lot though) but it's disappointing seeing one core maxed out and my temps shooting up to 86c.
You should really think about your cooling solution if you have this issue. For my taste this is way too hot for single core computing.

Xater

I don't get why some people are saying the demo ran like shit on their pc while my old i7 3770 ran the game amazingly at max details.

I have an R5 1600X and the game runs with everything maxed at 60. No issues at all.

xrnzaaas

Bullshit explanation, more likely they didn't have the time or the manpower
or they were too busy swimming in money ;)
to optimize the PC version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is running everything on one core even improves latency? It may improve latency stability but when you have a 100% Skylake core load you're dealing with what is essentially the worst possible latency on a modern system as everything must wait for it's turn to be able to execute. Splitting this between four cores will effectively cut this latency in four although there may be some synchronization overhead and corner cases which can push the latency back up to single core 100% load figures - but it would still be a lot better on average, not worse.

Edit: maybe the meaning behind this statement is that they try to fight CPU power saving features this way? But it's still stupid even if true.

You two are on the same page; he agreed with you.

Alexious

Hi guys, I wanted to share an update we got from Turn 10 via PR. Apparently, they're chalking it up to a miscommunication on the Community Liaison's part. The story has now been updated.

Forza Motorsport 7 is not limited to running on one core. There seems to have been a miscommunication along the way. “Forza Motorsport 7” uses as many cores as are available on whatever system it runs on, whether that is a 4- to 16-core PC or the 7 cores available on Xbox One.

The stuttering and uneven core balance are still there, though, at least in the demo. We can only hope the game will feature improvements, either at launch or afterward.

Maybe they just ran out of development time, and will put out a revised version that takes advantage of a couple more cores.

Call it the Threecore Definitive Edition.

Speak for yourself, I didn’t have a single issue with Forza 7.

Fredrik

Turn 10, what are you doing? Forza Horizon 3 is fantastic, I run it on three screens way above 60fps, no issues. Are you seriously asking me to run Forza 7 at 30fps?!
(I don't have the demo yet, waiting patiently on the full game instead)

You should really think about your cooling solution if you have this issue. For my taste this is way too hot for single core computing.

My cooling solution is definitely not anything special (Cryorig H7), but temps in other games are rarely this high. It's not a sustained 86C, but it still fluctuates between 74C - 86C.

Xyber

People saying it runs like shit is exaggerating, but the game could definitely perform much better.

Do you play at 60fps? How sensitive are you to stuttering? People have different standards.

Even if I play at 4K with most settings maxed out, the game still only wants to use between 55 and 80% of my GPU (mostly leaning towards the lower end). There's so much performance of my 1080Ti that is completely wasted. So I only get around 80-90fps instead of hitting like 120+ that I could probably do if it actually used my GPU.

And hitting 80fps at 4k is still pretty good, so that's why I don't agree with people saying it runs like shit. But the game does stutter and is CPU limited overall because it puts most of the load on 1-2 cores. And that's disappointing when they have had this exact same problem for the last 2 games now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if they mean that by multithreading they’ll be sharing cores with OS systems which may take cycles at inopportune moments. By only using one core they will be more protected from system impacts? Xbox is a more controlled environment so that is less of a concern.

Might be a stretch but all I can think of. And even then you’d think they could at least go to 2 threads

Fredrik

There's no way this game is running at 60fps in a single jaguar core on Xbox One. It has to have multithreading in the engine. Why it's not on PC is a mystery.
That's my thought as well. There is no logic reason what so ever for this game to run better on Xbox One than a gaming PC.

7700k's are known to run hot, if you're unlucky enough to get one that does. My one will easily hit 80+c and I have a Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler going at nearly full whack. It's sometimes shit luck if you get a below average cpu.

If Turn 10 have said this is a miscommunication then I'm not sure what they were trying to say. Is the one core cpu load intentional or not? Do they recognise it as a problem? Sure, I didn't suffer too bad from it. As many have said it seems to affect the menu most. But that can't be intentional surely?

Fredrik

So the cpu threading info was wrong. Will this thread realize it? No.
Aha, didn't get than until you said it.
Quoting the devs for others to see:
Turn 10 said:
Forza Motorsport 7 is not limited to running on one core. There seems to have been a miscommunication along the way. “Forza Motorsport 7” uses as many cores as are available on whatever system it runs on, whether that is a 4- to 16-core PC or the 7 cores available on Xbox One.

This has killed my interest, the demo was a bit stuttery in places and I'm not waiting months for a fix to be released like Forza Horizon 3.

It's even worse knowing that it was a deliberate decision.

Edit, ignore me, my interest is still killed though.

Top Bottom