• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter on PS5: Bets on 2020 launch now, PS4 Pro to become "default PS4"

onQ123

I don't say it doesn't save cycles - the discussion started in another thread about the native resolution of QB for Xbox One X and the arguments were that Pro could achieve the same base resolution because of Pro hardware customizations, leading to the point that the hardware customizations are enough to put a fictional Pro version of QB to the same level of the Xbox One X version of the game.
But I don't blame you for not having the context, of course.

If you're going to carry an argument from another thread at least try to understand the argument in the 1st place, I was simply telling someone that they can't just say that QB would be lower than 1440P on PS4 Pro without knowing how much GPU resource was needed for the reconstruction on Xbox One & Xbox One X. I said nothing about the game being the same level on PS4 Pro as Xbox One X.

statham

Matt, everyone is speaking for you, telling me what you meant. can you please tell me what you meant? These two consoles are going steam like, IMO. we will never have a next gen system with new controllers, and games that are only playable from launch on these systems. IMO, your comment screamed no Xbox ever after the X. Help Me!

Ushay

Not sure what I said is controversial...
Ambiguous statement? But then your next post clarifies..
Not really.

Yeah. The next Xbox and PS5 will be new consoles with BC+, not modified versions of what we have now (and no One branding).
Makes much more sense. Context is king :)

Anyway on the change of title, Pachman going back on his original statement?

statham

Because he has built up quite a devout following on here.

But in all honesty, I interpreted his deliberately vague post as to a dropping of the "one" branding from the next xbox.
pretty sure they are not even thinking about the next console "marketing" right now.
think about it.

whats inside, sure, but how to market it? nah, that comes close to launch.

Matt

Matt, everyone is speaking for you, telling me what you meant. can you please tell me what you meant? These two consoles are going steam like, IMO. we will never have a next gen system with new controllers, and games that are only playable from launch on these systems. IMO, your comment screamed no Xbox ever after the X. Help Me!
I mean, I just clarified it in my last post.
Because he has built up quite a devout following on here.

But in all honesty, I interpreted his deliberately vague post as to a dropping of the "one" branding from the next xbox.
“Deliberately vague”? I was literally quoting a post that said there’s would be another, more powerful version of the XBO (like the X), and I said no there wouldn’t be. There was nothing vague about it, and if there was, it certainly wasn’t deliberate.

statham

“Deliberately vague”? I was literally quoting a post that said there’s would be another, more powerful version of the XBO (like the X), and I said no there wouldn’t be. There was nothing vague about it, and if there was, it certainly wasn’t deliberate.

good enough for me, bookmarked,. see you in 2020

In your opinion.

My opinion is that we will have PS5/XB2. That will play PS4/XB1 games. That will support PS4/XB1 controllers. That will have PS4/XB1 features via legacy compatibility.

But the difference is that they will also be new-gen hardware with new controllers and games that cannot be played on PS4/XB1.

Moving forward, smaller indie devs will release games that support multiple-generations ( PS4/5/XB1/2 ) well into 2020 and beyond, as game systems presumably ( and hopefully ) all be BC with legacy platforms.

And just like this gen, the first few years of the next console release will see games that support PS4-PS5/XB1-XB2, because install base and MONEY.

But your 343i, ND, etc? In 2020+, their flagship games will not be playable on XB1 and PS4. The minimum spec of them will be PS5/XB2.

Marlenus

Looking at the numbers Zeppelin(zen), Polaris and Vega all have similar transistor densities meaning a 350mm^2 die should be able to fit around 9B transistors. Fiji to Vega was an increase in transistor density of a bit over 80% and Hawaii to Polaris was a bit under 80% so using the 80% figure a 7nm APU of 350mm^2 would be in the region of 16.2B transistors. Zeppelin (8c Zen) is currently using around 4.8B transistors which would leave 11.4B for the GPU which puts it not a million miles away from Vega's 12.5B transistor count. Raven Ridge CCx modules are rumoured to only be using 4MB of L3 cache instead of 8MB which will save a small amount of die space and transistors making it very possible to fit an 8c zen with enough transistors and die area to get a 12 Tflop GPU in there.

I think the sticking point to a 12 Tflop GPU will be power consumption and clock speed but PS4 Pro is running almost as fast as the 7970Ghz (both around 4Tflops) and using far less power doing it so there is precedent to get there in 3/4 years time.

I think the likely hood is a 2020 release as I think that will be the earliest point where 7nm will be economically viable for a consumer product in the $400 range. With how successful PS4 was I doubt Sony will target a higher price than $400.

wapplew

From WW studio stand point.
2020 means, no ND, no SSM, no MM, no Bend, no GT, no idea about SP, Horizon 2 launch probably, Something from Japan studio.

2019 on the other hand, can have TLOU2 and Death Stranding cross gen launch.

AAMARMO

Banned
Maybe Sucker Punch new IP will be a PS4 title after all. So for PlayStation 4 first party wise the only thing that are left are The Last of Us 2,Japan Studio new game,From Software and Sucker Punch.

I do believe that Death Stranding will be a cross gen game or a PS5 title only. So for the launch year we mostly going to get Horizon 2,Japan Studio new IP,Quantic Dream new IP, The Last of Us Part II Remaster and God of War Reboot Sequel.

wapplew

Maybe Sucker Punch new IP will be a PS4 title after all. So for PlayStation 4 first party wise the only thing that are left are The Last of Us 2,Japan Studio new game,From Software and Sucker Punch.

I do believe that Death Stranding will be a cross gen game or a PS5 title only. So for the launch year we mostly going to get Horizon 2,Japan Studio new IP,Quantic Dream new IP, The Last of Us Part II Remaster and God of War Reboot Sequel.

Quantic Dream only contracted for 3 titles, Detroit is last Sony exclusive unless they signed new deal.
Their game release next year and you don't shit game out in 2 years nowadays.

statham

But the difference is that they will also be new-gen hardware with new controllers and games that cannot be played on PS4/XB1.

nope. controller are perfect. We will see VR or AR into play. We are in a steam-like world.

edit: everyone says this, but what current gen game couldn't be played on 360? you just downgrade shit, but the newest TR, which is a showpiece for the X, also available on 360. stop worrying about stuff.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
c0de said:
We should soon find out as there will be games which will do CB on both consoles.
I suspect it may be a good long while before we have multiplatform games with 4k modes specially tailored to each unique hw feature of the two (assuming such differences even exist).
Consider it's been almost a year and we still don't have a single PSVR title using pro's features for VR rendering acceleration(at least as impactful to IQ as cb rendering).

Melchiah

In your opinion.

My opinion is that we will have PS5/XB2. That will play PS4/XB1 games. That will support PS4/XB1 controllers. That will have PS4/XB1 features via legacy compatibility.

Moving forward, smaller indie devs will release games that support multiple-generations ( PS4/5/XB1/2 ) well into 2020 and beyond, as game systems presumably ( and hopefully ) all be BC with legacy platforms.

And just like this gen, the first few years of the next console release will see games that support PS4-PS5/XB1-XB2, because install base and MONEY.

But your 343i, ND, etc? In 2020+, their flagship games will not be playable on XB1 and PS4. The minimum spec of them will be PS5/XB2.

I fully agree. There will be a generational shift just like before, but the new systems will be backwards compatible with the old ones, and enhance the old games.

AAMARMO

Banned
Quantic Dream only contracted for 3 titles, Detroit is last Sony exclusive unless they signed new deal.
Their game release next year and you don't shit game out in 2 years nowadays.

Well they could always could be 2 different team working on different projects.

Ushay

In your opinion.

This makes more sense. Allow publishers to move on to the better hardware when they want.

c0de

I suspect it may be a good long while before we have multiplatform games with 4k modes specially tailored to each unique hw feature of the two (assuming such differences even exist).
Consider it's been almost a year and we still don't have a single PSVR title using pro's features for VR rendering acceleration(at least as impactful to IQ as cb rendering).

Really? Well, that's interesting. Perhaps GTS will be a good candidate to implement it.

I think that, unless there are big problems getting their PS5 out in 2019, waiting for 2020 means letting the PS4 cool down too much. You never want to wait until your product no longer sells, until it is no longer a hot and desired item to launch the successor... that would be a mistake. A dumb mistake trying to get a few more sales one year and risk tanking the launch of the next product.

This is true. See the Wii --> WiiU for reference (and the corresponding Nintendo financials for those years).

Suuuuuuure.

Explain yourself.

Albert kinda hinted at future systems.

XBO == Xbox One

"We won't see another upgraded Xbox One (a la the Xbox 1X)", i.e. the next Xbox will be a new generation instead of another mid-gen refresh.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, as a general point it would benefit everyone to not get so hung up on PR quotes taken out of context to inform on MS's Xbox platform corporate strategy.

If MS want to change to a more iterative console model, such a huge change in business model will come with an official announcement and a concerted effort from their entire marketing dept. to communicate this to consumers of Xbox products and services in a clear and concise way.

Companies never make these kinds of all-encompassing changes only to disseminate that information in an off-the-cuff PR comment... so you're looking in the wrong place for that kind of info. if you're trying interpret platform strategy from PR comments.

mario_O

This guy's guess is just as good as anybody elses. He's really clueless about the launch of the PS5. Maybe 2019. Or maybe 2020. Or who knows, maybe 2021. Why open these threads? I dont get it.

THE:MILKMAN

Notice that more and more are suggesting PS5 for 2020 or even 2021 and wonder if it tally's with devs being briefed this year? I mean when did they get equally briefed during PS4 development? I doubt up to 4 years in advance?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Roofles. You couldnt say that in the og post? Lets see in 2020. You think sony will want to start over again after the bad ps3 coming off the ps2 and the killer ps4? , no.

BC means exactly the opposite, it does not mean starting over again. Just because the Xbox made by a PC maker seems to hinting at a PC like model does not mean the console mode in general is shitty or wrong or must require starting over from scratch (without requiring forward compatible iterative consoles coming out frequently).

Because I'm charming, insightful, and entertaining.

sherlock%2Band%2Bwatson%2Blaughing.gif

nope. controller are perfect. We will see VR or AR into play. We are in a steam-like world.

edit: everyone says this, but what current gen game couldn't be played on 360? you just downgrade shit, but the newest TR, which is a showpiece for the X, also available on 360. stop worrying about stuff.

One game is not representative of the whole situation. If you want to prove a point, then prove that there is a clear pattern that is beyond just one game.

FLAguy954

Prediction:

No change in platform sales strategy from current-gen.

PS5 will be PS5. The base model for a new gen... just as PS4 was.

PS4 and PS4 Pro will continue to be sold even with PS5's release... just as PS3 was.

3-4 years into PS5 generation will introduce mid-gen upgrade, PS5 Pro. Same as PS4 Pro, there will be no exclusives and is merely a more powerful version of the base new-gen console.

Pro devices will never be default.

I completely agree, this is the way going forward for Sony.

AmyS

Prediction:

No change in platform sales strategy from current-gen.

PS5 will be PS5. The base model for a new gen... just as PS4 was.

PS4 and PS4 Pro will continue to be sold even with PS5's release... just as PS3 was.

3-4 years into PS5 generation will introduce mid-gen upgrade, PS5 Pro. Same as PS4 Pro, there will be no exclusives and is merely a more powerful version of the base new-gen console.

Pro devices will never be default.

This would be fine and it's the most likely way this industry will continue. I agree.

Lets assume PS5 is coming Fall 2020 using 7nm FinFET - semi-custom Zen2 and Navi APU. PS5 Pro in 2023 or 2024 - on one of the proposed 5nm or 3nm nodes.

different-transistor-topologies-980x733.jpg

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/ibm-5nm-chip/?comments=1

PS5 Pro could also use AMD's modular APU design with cpu and gpu chiplets and future stacked memory. The GPU architecture can be anything. The same as what PS5 uses, or forward from Navi.

Whatever performance the base PS5 has, PS5 Pro would have 2x to 4x the GPU performance, the same CPU architecture but clocked quite a bit faster. It would function exactly like the PS4 Pro.

autoduelist

Roofles. You couldnt say that in the og post? Lets see in 2020. You think sony will want to start over again after the bad ps3 coming off the ps2 and the killer ps4? , no.

Yes, they will want to start over. Market the PS4 [includes Pro] till end of the gen, then release the PS5 and shout it from the clouds. Console gens are important to console sales. The PS4 Pro barely changes anything - no exclusive games, just some fancy bells and whistles that the average gamer doesn't care about [or know about]. It captures some extra money from early adopters/tech chasers and some late to the party consumers who get sold up by the guy at the store and that's about it.

The PS5 [5!] will be a huge deal when it's announced, and they will want to distance the tech 'as in, paint it as a gigantic leap forward into the future' from the PS4/Pro as much as possible.

It'll most likely have BC, so I don't think it's a 'full start over', but as far as them wanting to establish that the PS5 is -new- and -awesome- and a brand new gen? Absolutely. They'll shout that from the rooftops.

We absolutely will have games that play only on the PS5 and not on the PS4. They're not giving up gens. Man, I'd argue the console future some of you paint is like the antithesis of the console future most console owners actually want. Give us big, easily identifiable technology leaps on a regular basis [8 years, give or take], and a brand new slew of games that let us feel that jump. Iterative is for the birds, all that does is make everyone feel left behind as their version slowly becomes antiquated and apps slowly stop being updated to work with their system one by one. Ugh.

That's just a matter of limited inputs. Two analogs and a pile of buttons/triggers have a limited of number of playstyles. Just as different inputs for PC [mouse/kb] create different gaming opportunities, having the 'same' basic inputs means we'll get the same types of games. That doesn't meant there won't be improvements like PS4's touchpad, but until someone creates a substantially different controller [good luck with that], we're going to be getting the same general genres.

That has nothing to do with generational leaps though. People expecting entirely new genres just because it's a new gen will be disappointed. Genres are based on inputs. However, game -scope- is based on power [ie, world size, number of enemies, strength of AI, etc].

AmyS

Simply put, PS5 will use RyZen / Zen / Zen 2 CPU micro-architecture and games will be built with Zen in mind. PS4 Pro be able to run those games.

PS4 Pro is strictly for playing PS4 games at higher resolutions and with other graphical enhancements.

Shin

Banned
Simply put, PS5 will use RyZen / Zen / Zen 2 CPU micro-architecture and games will be built with Zen in mind. PS4 Pro be able to run those games.

PS4 Pro is strictly for playing PS4 games at higher resolutions and with other graphical enhancements.

If 2020 then Zen 3 mobile should be available to them, otherwise if there's a PS5 Pro it might have Zen 3 while the base version Zen2/Zen2+*.

AmyS

If 2020 then Zen 3 mobile should be available to them, otherwise if there's a PS5 Pro it might have Zen 3 while the base version Zen2/Zen2+*.

Possibly. Though we won't know until we're closer to PS5's reveal / launch / technical analysis.

I don't expect even credible rumors until early 2019.

Pachinko

This is far more feasible for a number of reasons not the lest of which is that they could sell a 400$ box that would be 3-4 times a pro in power.

Blanquito

That can sometimes happen, where they will show developers two scenarios and ask which they would prefer, but once that's set, it can also come down to hardware development difficulties, like a key part getting delayed 6 months.
Thanks for the info (and sorry for the long response time).

In general, is it a couple of years before launch when they make that final decision? Or would it be as late as just one year?

Top Bottom