• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox-One was a shadow of the 360 glories!

opoth

Banned
They both get equal play over here for different reasons, Phil has done a good job of turning the ship around which means we all win in the end.

xviper

Xbox one had a fantastic 2013-2014

2015 was also good but not as good as previous year

2016 was dry but saved by FH3

2017 is the slap on the face of every xbox one owner, complete dehydration

i doubt anything will change in 2018 because of the awful looking "exclusive" games coming to XB1( assuming they aren't cancelled)

the biggest mistake they made was releasing Xbox one games to PC, the console serves to purpose now

when the gen started, i hated the PS4 due to the shitty exclusives, because XB1 had MUCH better exclusives back then, but now i can't even touch my XB1, it's accumulating dust at the moment, in longer than a year, i only played FH3 and Cuphead on XB1, and both games are on PC too

due to the bad reputation of the Xbox one, even good exclusives are overlooked, some of these exclusives include Sunset overdrive, Halo 5(MP), FH2\3 and Ori, i mean how the fuck didn't Ori get so much love ? it's the best Indie game i have ever played, if it was a PS4 exclusive it would have gotten even much more love than that 2 hours walking simulator and would have been considered a masterpiece

i said it before multiple times and i'll say it again, Xbox one is probably the last Xbox console we will see because Microsoft completely fucked it up

Bioshocker

My Xbox One has surprisingly become my main platform this gen, something I didn't expect when I got it two and a half years ago. The best controller ever (Elite) has been a factor, and with the new UI I see no need to get multiplat games for my PS4 instead. With the Xbox One S that I bought recently the choice has been even more obvious. Still have my PS4 for the exclusives.

sneas78

Banned
Is it true you can have emulators on Xbox one? I someone also mentioned vlc for it .. that might get me to get one.

If we can get emulators and maybe Kodi on any of these consoles.. I don’t think I would be using my pc at all. Only for my Vive which honestly I’m thinking to sale both the Pc and Vive.

Shifty

From an outsider's perspective, Xbox One has done more or less nothing to tempt me away from the big library of PC games available to me this gen.

PS4 managed it with Bloodborne and Yakuza, but now even that is sitting around gathering dust.

Also wew lad that first page tho. RabbleGAF in full effect.

xviper

i don't know why you're all attacking (Greatest Ever) he's not wrong, the xbox one is dead on the exclusives side, the last good TRUE exclusive was Halo 5, and that was 2 years ago

If he was talking about the PS4, i guarantee that he'd be banned already, i got banned once for talking about a PS4 exclusive, let alone talking about the whole console and it's library, good job SonyGaf

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i don't know why you're all attacking (Greatest Ever) he's not wrong, the xbox one is dead on the exclusives side, the last good TRUE exclusive was Halo 5, and that was 2 years ago

If he was talking about the PS4, i guarantee that he'd be banned already, i got banned once for talking about a PS4 exclusive, let alone talking about the whole console and it's library, good job SonyGaf
Stop this sonygaf BS man.
Just enjoy your xbox

Rafus

Hey, it's good to have this kind of thread, where all the haters can spit all the venom here, and stay away from the threads of people trying to commentate on the things they like and have fun.
Won't happen

RoboFu

One of the green rats
From an outsider's perspective, Xbox One has done more or less nothing to tempt me away from the big library of PC games available to me this gen.

PS4 managed it with Bloodborne and Yakuza, but now even that is sitting around gathering dust.

Also wew lad that first page tho. RabbleGAF in full effect.

Why would ms want to take pc gamers away from windows and their windows store?
Only way ms loses is if pc gamers move to Linux and don’t care about ms exclusives. Other than that it’s a win win for them either way.

I owned an Xbox and a 360 and I got a One. I'm not enjoying this generation as a whole but especially as an XB1 owner. I loved my XB because it got WRPGs and I'd never played that genre prior to it. I loved my 360 because it got everything from the console world, from FPS to JRPGs. There was a ton of variety and it wasn't like one game per genre, there were tons of games in all genres, no matter what you like.

I thought that trend would continue but XB1 is bordering on literally no support from Japan, WRPGs show up everywhere so it doesn't have superiority there, and the exclusives have dried up in both number and genre diversity.

I feel like the idea of needing a "killer app" isn't as important anymore. The PS4 sold incredibly well without a "killer app" for a long time. I think with the amount of good games that come out in a single year, the idea of one massive title being the most important thing just doesn't hold the same importance it did during the 360/PS3 era where you basically needed a console that could play Halo 3.

Cuphead
Ori 1&2
Halo 5
Forza Horizon 2 & 3
Gears 4
Dead Rising 3 & 4
Killer Instinct
Sunset Overdrive
Recore
Quantum Break
PUBG
Forza 5, 6, 7
Halo Wars
Ryse
State of Decay 1&2
D4
Titanfall
Rare Replay
Sea of Thieves
Seeing the line up like that does highlight how weak it has been. Especially considering the console is 4 years old and this list has games that aren't even out yet. But like I said above, I don't think one great title is going to out of no where change everything for the X box, especially if that title is also put on PC like most of their exclusives are.
I think they are going to invest in the idea of the xbox one x being the best why to play console games and hope that people buy into it.

amdb00mer

Ugh. The X1X will not have any exclusive games. How many times does that have to be said? This is not a new generation, it is a mid-gen refresh, just like PS4 Pro. Where is your thread asking for PS4 Pro exclusives?

You mistakenly assume everyone cared about what those particular "insiders" had to say. From my experience most people didn't care about what negative things about Xbox these guys had to say, they wanted to see leaks about upcoming PlayStation games from guys like shinobi and verendus.

And if it was so bad to you when PlayStation guys mocked Xbox, wouldn't you need to be consistent by acknowledging that the pro Xbox shitposting is no good rather than just downplaying it. If you hate fanboyism, be consistent on both sides, lol.

It's like some people really live in an alternate reality.

You ever heard of having more than one account? Or lurking? Lol.

If seeking retribution or whatever for mistreatment of a piece of plastic is that important for you, have at it.

Lol Well, I think we can scratch rocket-scientist off of your possible career paths. Sheesh. This place has really become somethin, alright....

Cloud_9

Neo Member
It's like some people really live in an alternate reality.

Lol Well, I think we can scratch rocket-scientist off of your possible career paths. Sheesh. This place has really become somethin, alright....

If you weren't just making knee jerk reactions, you woulf have read that I haven't had multiple accounts at one time.

Good job getting in on a conversation that had nothing to do with you though.

Jesus Christ you guys.

Also, lol at assuming what career I have, pretty funny given what I actually do.

Crew 511A

You're lucky at the current state of GAF. If you're not joking, these kinds of posts were - and should still be - bannable.
That's why the old GAF had such a bad reputation. Let people banter. You knew what kind of thread this was when you clicked on it.

Chastten

Banned
I agree. As someone who owned and enjoyed both the original Xbox and the 360, I just can't get myself to buy a One.

Saw an add today - Xbox One with a controller and 2 games - for €177 this friday, and I'm still like 'what the hell am I gonna do with it?'. I can use it as a nice blu-ray player and a few games but otherwise it'll just collect dust. It's tempting, but... I really wish Microsoft was invested a bit more in regions outside the USA.

If One had games like Crash Bandicoot and Nier Automata, I would've bought it in a heartbeat again since the controller is so much better than the terrible PS4 controller.

The 3rd Party games are where it is at... you can't tell me the majority of players are picking up a PS Pro for Danganronpa and not Call of Duty.

Its absolutely hilarious that out of sony/ms/nintendo, the only group of fanboys who consistently mindlessly parrot the myth that exclusives don't matter in regards to console sales are fans of the system whose exclusive library is universally regarded as by far the weakest of the three major platforms and is generally considered the laughingstock of the industry at this point by fans and critics alike and is also getting it's ass kicked in the marketplace and by every possible metric by its two competitors. You know the ones with exclusives actually worth playing.

Cpt Lmao

I agree, with Halo 3, Crackdown, the Gears trilogy, State of Decay, Oblivion/Mass Effect/Bioshock (they were exclusives for a bit), Viva Piñata, PGR, the emergence of Forza, and the surge of indie titles, the Xbox 360 was such an exciting system to own

The Xbox One was a trainwreck at the beginning, and this severely hampered the system in later years.

JP

To a certain extent I agree with the topic of this thread but I'm not sure I would have said quite the same thing.

The way that I play games changed over the years as I imagine it has for everybody, these days I'm primarily a single console gamer even though I do own all three. The vast majority of my time will be spent on one console but there are periods when I'll maybe spend time on one of the other two because an exclusive game has been released.

Last generation I very much started with the 360 being my primary console but over that generation and into this generation me and Microsoft appear to be going in different directions in that they seem to be moving more and more towards the online side of gaming whereas I'm moving more and more towards single player content.

My primary console at the moment is the PS4 Pro and a lot of the games that I can only get on there fit in well with the type of games that I really enjoy and after a generation and a half I feel really heavily invested in their ecosystem and that adds to the reason that most of my gaming is done there.

This in no way is a criticism of the way that Microsoft are doing this, I don't think what they're doing at the moment is wrong I just think that it's wrong for me.

I'm a massive fan of Forza Horizon in particular on the Xbox and 3D Mario games on the Switch and I've absolutely loved both consoles when they've had games that I've wanted to play.

At the moment if between the three consoles and only having a single library of games to play, although they all have games that I'd want to play the only realistic choice for me would be the PS4. I would miss some games on the other two systems but if I was to pick the Switch of Xbox as my single system, for me, there would be far more that I was missing out on by not having the PS4.

That will be different for different people though.

None of the systems are perfect and they could all do with learning a little something from each other but the fact that the PS4 is closest to the "ideal system" for me doesn't diminish the systems in any way as it's personal preference rather than right or wrong.

I do feel that I'm in the minority but there has never been a point while I've been gaming that I haven't been constantly amazed the quality and breadth of games available to me and I still think that today. Again, it's not perfect but it is pretty damn fucking amazing as far as I'm concerned.

mad597

Banned
Am I the only one feeling that there’s a lot Xbox trash talking goin around after the positive receiving of the One X.

People talking about exclusives, yet the most sold games are third parties. And to say Xbox One has no exclusives is a joke that went way too far. You don’t like the exclusives, we get it, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have any.

PS4 has no exclusives I’m really interested in, that doesn’t make me say that it has no exclusives.

Yes sony fanboys literally want a one console world controlled by their Sony over lords and anything that disrupts that dream pisses them off and they get all pissy about it

Night.Ninja

Banned
The one x got microsoft fanboys jerking off on their own faces. They're so excited!
IMG_0433.png

Some of you really feel burned.

I'm enjoying my X, I love coming in these threads and just smiling console wars can be so painful for some lol

I don't play multi anymore other than Cod with the wife so I went with the PS4 a few months ago and selling my newly built gaming pc. Sony has more quality single player exclusives. I think a lot of people that were core 360 may be in their 30s now and not have as much time to play and still do other shit.

I think this is how Sony spanked MS because MS spread themselves too thin.

Aintitcool

Banned
Many people bought a 360 and 360 games. Many people bought a PS4. Suddenly you can play 360 games as if they are on a high end PC. Its very cool. If you have a large 360 collection you didnt sell you will want an xbox one x. It also has UHD BluRay support. PS4 dont do that. Will people sell their PS4s for a one x? Depends on the user. But microsoft did something very cool that even I with no 360 games plan to buy.

mad597

Banned
Its absolutely hilarious that out of sony/ms/nintendo, the only group of fanboys who consistently mindlessly parrot the myth that exclusives don't matter in regards to console sales are fans of the system whose exclusive library is universally regarded as by far the weakest of the three major platforms and is generally considered the laughingstock of the industry at this point by fans and critics alike and is also getting it's ass kicked in the marketplace and by every possible metric by its two competitors. You know the ones with exclusives actually worth playing.

Sony fans were touting power and counting blades of grass in GTA at the start of this gen and saying exclusives didn't matter. Let us not forget how horrible Sony's first party output was for the first several years of this gen. Knack, The order, Driveclub certainly didn't set the world of exclusives on fire.

OG Xbox was awesome, Halo helped a lot although I didn't care for that game or series, still a console I have fond memories of.

360 - Again, superb, loved the UI (first NXE being my favourite), features, great console exclusive games the first few years like Mass Effect, Alan Wake, PGR, Gears which helped 360 like Halo did with OG, Xbox Live and controller. Loved it.

This generation? No new AAA ip with the critical or commercial success as Halo or Gears, in house studios smaller than ever and most of them are sequel factories, problems at launch and so on. Certainly tainted my love for the brand and in particular tired of hearing about backwards compatibility, controllers and now enhanced titles new or old. They are certainly good things to have but they don't get me enthusiastic much.

Cloud_9

Neo Member
Sony fans were touting power and counting blades of grass in GTA at the start of this gen and saying exclusives didn't matter. Let us not forget how horrible Sony's first party output was for the first several years of this gen. Knack, The order, Driveclub certainly didn't set the world of exclusives on fire.

Several? That's a pretty big exaggeration. Only year 1 was weak. After bloodborne it was a wrap, help even infamous ss was good

SenkiDala

Love Xbox since the 1st one, the addition of a hard drive was a great idea, a lot of awesome exclusives:

Halo1/2
Panzer Dragon Orta
Dead or Alive 3
Jet Set Radio Future
Otogi 1/2
Crimson Skies
KOTOR
Jade Empire
Gun Valkyrie
Brute Force
Amped 1/2
Breakdown
Buffy
Forza
PGR1/2
RalliSport Challenge
Munch's Odyssey
Morrowind
Fable

It was awesome... Loved a lot of those games.

360 was great too and brought a lot of things that became "classic" in video games now (I know some of them were already on OG Xbox but really started on 360 for me), and console gaming, such as:

Voice chat with friends while playing games
XBLA games
Free demos download
Achievements
Player's Profile
Installing games on hard drive to not use the disc player

Those were HUGE innovations that changed the media. And great exclusives too:

Halo 3/ODST/Reach/4
Gears 1/2/3
Crackdown / 2
PGR3/4
Forza/Horizon
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Viva Pinata
Banjo & Kazooie
Geometry Wars
Fable 2/3
Mass Effect (released years later on PS3 so...)
Alan Wake
Halo Wars

Was huge.

The the Xbox One... Well that's a tough one, about the innovations I don't see any awesome innovations, backward compatiblity is awesome but not new... Kinect 2.0 didn't work. Screenshots/Video was also on PS4 at the same time. Crossbuy with PC is a thing but it exists on PS4 with PS3 and VITA... Streaming on Twitch etc is also on PS4... No really I can't see any great Xbox One innovation, maybe the HDMI in?

About the games well it's alright but imo the exclusives list is way weaker (in both quality & quantity) than on OG Xbox and 360:

Quantum Break (really prefered Alan Wake, but still good)
Gears 4 (awesome)
Halo 5
Halo Wars 2
Forza 5/6/7
Forza Horizon 2/3 (imo the Forza serie is awesome but one every where... it's too easy)
Ori
Cuphead
Dead Rising 3 (loved it)
Sunset Overdrive
Ryse
Crimson Dragon (was sooo disappointed)
Killer Instinct (awesome game)
Rare Replay

It's a nice list and I'm looking forward to State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and a few others but I'm pretty disappointed with XO exclusives.

TLZ

Banned
I'm amused at how hard people get into text fights over pieces of plastic and metal. Like we can't have a proper discussion without getting defensive.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm amused at how hard people get into text fights over pieces of plastic and metal. Like we can't have a proper discussion without getting defensive.

List wars are the battle ground of the console war. Everyone always trying to build the better list. Guess they don't actually have any games to play.

I agree o most of what you're saying, except one:

You think software output suffers from being released on separate platfoms? I know the Windows Store is ateocious and unpopular, but the only way to get more software is more sales. In general, more platforms = more sales.

I think that point is totally moot.

I do think MS's output is pretty poor lately though.

chemicals

I agree with OP. There was (and is) something special about the xb360. It's one of my goat consoles (right up there with the ps1, snes, and ps2). I have one of those late market blue walmart 360's and it is just loaded with great games. I also have an old curvy jasper arcade console hooked up to another tv. I bought my first 360 when my daughter was born and Oblivion came out at the same time. There are pictures of me laid back in my favorite recliner playing Oblivion at 3 in the morning while she slept on my chest. Good times.

A big reason is because Halo just isn’t as good as it used to be.

Xbox One X is so ridiculously powerful for a console but I don’t know if it’s true potential will ever be unleashed.

HMC

I truly don't get the "I don't need an XBox because I have a PC" argument. Uhhh if you have a Windows PC, you invested in Microsoft gaming. You spent lots of cash on a high end, third party hardware version of...an XBox.

To MS, you are still playing Microsoft exclusives, exclusively on their system. Why do people insist these aren't true exclusives? Would you prefer MS not give their high-end XBox (PC) users these games also?

If you have a PS4 and a PC, you have both consoles. You just paid a hell of a lot more for your 'Box....

I truly don't get the "I don't need an XBox because I have a PC" argument. Uhhh if you have a Windows PC, you invested in Microsoft gaming. You spent lots of cash on a high end, third party hardware version of...an XBox.

To MS, you are still playing Microsoft exclusives, exclusively on their system. Why do people insist these aren't true exclusives? Would you prefer MS not give their high-end XBox (PC) users these games also?

If you have a PS4 and a PC, you have both consoles. You just paid a hell of a lot more for your 'Box....
Because the Xbox One is a redundant console the 360 wasn't.

Also the whole analogy is just silly in general because a personal computer is much more than what you said.

Newk86

I truly don't get THIS argument when from what I can tell, people are discussing the value of owning an XBONE console specifically. As if the discussion or anybody was actually interested in how companies are making money where?

Personally I don't think the system offers enough to make it stand out. As you say though, it's an awkward situation where creating true Xbox exclusives would also be robbing the PC audience of games. I don't know how the situation might change though.

I think it might always be this way from now on, but at least with the stronger console hardware now Xbox can target those who might be chasing the higher level PC performance and library at a decent price and entry point. And this is where I think that adding PC VR support to XBONEX in the future would be a good move too.

Carlius

Banned
Did this really require a thread?

I respect your opinion, but I also enjoyed Halo Wars 2, SSO, and Forza Horizon 2 an 3, Ori,and Killer Instinct also.

I don't want to devolve into list wars. But I enjoy the Xbox ecosystem. I also have nothing bad to say about Sony and Nintendo, who are caning it this gen.

dead forum requires threads...whats the issue?

Cloud_9

Neo Member

A pc isn't an Xbox. Microsoft doesn't get a dime for any games you buy on there if you don't go through their store.

watdaeff4

To be fair, for others the rhetoric has flipped also.

That said, as an owner of both boxes, I agree the PS4 exclusive lineup wasn't great at all until Bloodborne.
MLB and UC4 helped the following year. It wasn't until this year that PS4 killed the Xbox in exclusive content. The current sentiment has taken such a strong hold because this year the Xbox has been a wasteland for exclusive content whil the PS4 has many great ones that released.

RAIDEN1

For me the backward compatibility is still not a quite as comprehensive as it should be...on Xbox-One/X you still can't play, Sonic Generations, Metal Gear HD, Burnout take-down, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, Republic Commando...just to name but a few....yes I know there are a million other titles that can be played, but the games mentioned are standouts in their own right too..(saying that I don't think Shaolin Monks is compatible on the 360 either..)

Bramble

Buying an X for the best multiplats crossed my mind a few times, but I'm probably not getting a 4K set anytime soon, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I checked the comparisons of Origins en CoD WW2 (games I'm interested in) and I didn't see that much difference, let alone on a FHD display.

Wolfenstein 2 looks great on Pro, Frozen Wilds is a lot of fun (and not on Xbox) and I'm really into VR since Skyrim launched (also not on Xbox, nor is VR) and I fire up Bloodborne once and a while. I also have a huge backlog of new games is didn't even started up (not sure where some people get the extra time to play BC 360 titles).

So i'm holding on my money for now.

I can't speak on PS4, as i never owned one and never would (i have owned every other PS console). I have been speaking to my brother, who owns every system known to man, we been in it since the Atari 2600 days in the early 80's. My bro also has a 1080gtx in his PC.

With that said, he said the One X, with just over a few weeks of use is becoming one of his his fav consoles ever.

People can say what they want about games, ect, but fact is in gerneral people who own a PS4 (Pro) or Xbox in general buy more 3rd party games. About 95% of my collection of games is 3rd party, i never got the whole 1st party arguement when the market mainly consist of 3rd party. And as far a PS, the reality is no 1st party games interest me other then the GOW series.

I am currently loving my One X, the games simply look mind blowing on my TV.I'd gladly, anyday of the week, take better looking 3rd party games, with better performance in my One X over a machine that has less power and just one 1st party game that interest me.

I can't speak on PS4, as i never owned one and never would (i have owned every other PS console). I have been speaking to my brother, who owns every system known to man, we been in it since the Atari 2600 days in the early 80's. My bro also has a 1080gtx in his PC.

With that said, he said the One X, with just over a few weeks of use is becoming one of his his fav consoles ever.

People can say what they want about games, ect, but fact is in gerneral people who own a PS4 (Pro) or Xbox in general buy more 3rd party games. About 95% of my collection of games is 3rd party, i never got the whole 1st party arguement when the market mainly consist of 3rd party. And as far a PS, the reality is no 1st party games interest me other then the GOW series.

I am currently loving my One X, the games simply look mind blowing on my TV.I'd gladly, anyday of the week, take better looking 3rd party games, with better performance in my One X over a machine that has less power and just one 1st party game that interest me.
Because third party + interesting exclusives > third party + no exclusives.

The X is awesome if you're going console only. But at $500? Nah.

thelastword

Banned
OP I think OG XBOX was even more impressive over the 360 in that regard. As far as the best exclusives and unique titles go amongst MS consoles...

OG XBOX
XBOX 360
XBOX ONE

......goes in that order. OG XBOX is several notches ahead over 360 too. 360 was the best place to play multiplats and I guess, that was its biggest boon, but exclusives wise and also seeing MS really bringing unique titles and exclusives to the table with OG XBOX was a very exciting time. It did not hurt that they were in bed with Sega and Team Ninja....

Bioshocker

I hate to think what would happen if Xbox One launched and got it's way with all that DVR stuff. Getting spanked by Sony got them back on track.

Yes. Companies certainly do best when they've got their backs against the wall. Sony improved dramatically with the PS4 after PS3, Nintendo definately learned a few things after the Wii U disaster, and Microsoft has done an incredible job with Xbox One for the past three years. It's almost a completely new system.

Bioshocker

OP I think OG XBOX was even more impressive over the 360 in that regard. As far as the best exclusives and unique titles go amongst MS consoles...

OG XBOX
XBOX 360
XBOX ONE

......goes in that order. OG XBOX is several notches ahead over 360 too. 360 was the best place to play multiplats and I guess, that was its biggest boon, but exclusives wise and also seeing MS really bringing unique titles and exclusives to the table with OG XBOX was a very exciting time. It did not hurt that they were in bed with Sega and Team Ninja....

I don't know if I agree completely but you're making a fair point. Games like Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, Ninja Gaiden, Midtown Madness 3, RalliSport Challenge 2, and Dead or Alive 3 were incredible console exclusives for the OG Xbox. I really liked the system, and it's possible my affection for the 360 is mostly about great multiplats. Although Alan Wake is one of my favourites during that gen.

Top Bottom