• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

blind51de

Banned
I am all kinds of fired-up for this game.

As long as Stoner Sunshine gets its own attack bgm, I think it'll be the best SRW game to date.

Bebpo

Banned
Just got Genesic Gaogaigar in Alpha 3. The long voiced sequence in the scene where he gets it was cool, but it reminded me how the voice samples in Alpha 3 are hilariously bad. It's like listening to them through some distorted radio. Z was such an improvement there.

Also playing @3 and some G Generations makes me notice how the Z series needs more scenario voice events. I can hardly remember any in Z2-1 besides the scene where Zero gets his mask. How hard it is to borrow a dozen audio samples from major anime scenes that you're going to play out over a 70 hour game to give the key lines more impact. Alpha 3 has a looot more voiced scenario lines. Also, they should really pull a G Gen and those "unique" encounters dialogues between main characters and bosses should get voiced some day. It'd be a lot of work, but would also be really satisfying to hear the actors yell out the cross-over lines.

Mandoric

Banned
I don't think it got mentioned in the recent newsdumps, but the regular spring shows are confirmed for late April. That's probably when OG2 will resurface.

Bebpo

Banned
God I hope they don't stick Macross 7 units all as squad attacks for Basara.

Eh, why waste 2 or 3 unit slots just for some buff/debuffers who can't even do damage? 1 slot is enough. I always have them together as a single squad in @3 anyhow.

PS. I dislike buffing/debuffing in SRW. I want to do DAMAGE every turn and see numbers and explosions ^^;

Shouta

Eh, why waste 2 or 3 unit slots just for some buff/debuffers who can't even do damage? 1 slot is enough. I always have them together as a single squad in @3 anyhow.

PS. I dislike buffing/debuffing in SRW. I want to do DAMAGE every turn and see numbers and explosions ^^;

Yep, Don't need them as a squad as long as Basara can AOE buff himself. It's just extra one extra buffer to have Mylene in her VF-11 Custom.

Also, more damage from everyone is hot.

Mandoric

Banned
If we're demanding our favorite insignificant and pointless units, I want a usable Pilder outside of plot events. Possibly all three Get Machines too.

Shouta

Well, Ray and Veffidas was a pointless unit because they didn't have any songs, just repair/refuel as I recall. But Mylene had SP Recovery, SO HOT.

I'd probably have to stay away from OT since I am just staring a playthrough of SRW Z and it will probably be a while before I get around to Saisei-Hen.

blind51de

Banned
If we're demanding our favorite insignificant and pointless units, I want a usable Pilder outside of plot events. Possibly all three Get Machines too.

I want Aphrodite A to be good, but it's just terrible. It's terrible. Even at rank 5 her attacks get smacked down by end-game bulldamons. Give her a mazinger-army squad attack, PLEASE.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Reports of a new SRW Z2.2 scan in Famitsu this week. Looks like the first three stages are prologue stages, then stages 1 to 3, then a 4 way route split.

Cut & paste info lifted from /m/:

What I can make out.

Prologue Part 1: Black Rebellion
Prologue Part 2: Gundam ____ (likely a reference to Gundam Wing episode)
Prologue Part 3: Armageddon

Scenario 1: Fighting Girl
Scenario 2: ____ (can't make out)
Scenario 3: Emissary of the Sun Tetsujin 28

--> Japan Route
Scenario 4: Takeo General Company ____
Scenario 5: __________

--> Space Route
Scenario 4: Second Coming
Scenario 5: Twinkle Star

--> ___ Route
Scenario 4: _________
Scenario 5: OZ and A-LAWS

--> Kummen Route
Scenario 4: Assemble EX-10
Scenario 5: _____

Mandoric

Banned
Reports of a new SRW Z2.2 scan in Famitsu this week. Looks like the first three stages are prologue stages, then stages 1 to 3, then a 4 way route split.

Cut & paste info lifted from /m/:

Route 3 ep 4 is ep 12 of Gundam Wing TV, 迷える戦士たち.

Quattro turns enemy on it. FUCK YEAH CCA COMBINED AXIS/LIBRA DROP/FLEIJA GIVE IT TO ME
actually a spoiler

Mandoric

Banned
Fuck you Terada, you gave us a supers route that'll have Shin Mazinger, a Votoms route, even a route for the beginning of Geass R2, and you somehow still managed to sell me on the goddamn Wing/00 one.

zeroshiki

They're gonna do Japan, Space and Area 11 again?

Area 11 always gets the shaft whenever they split because its basically just Code Geass + Gundam Wing (with Kiriko). I wish they'd just merge Area 11 with one of the other two.

Shouta

Fuck you Terada, you gave us a supers route that'll have Shin Mazinger, a Votoms route, even a route for the beginning of Geass R2, and you somehow still managed to sell me on the goddamn Wing/00 one.

LOL. I'm definitely doing Super first, I think. DAIGUARD FOREVER

Tsukumo

They're gonna do Japan, Space and Area 11 again?

Area 11 always gets the shaft whenever they split because its basically just Code Geass + Gundam Wing (with Kiriko). I wish they'd just merge Area 11 with one of the other two.

I enjoyed the Area 11 route a lot.
All those little units, the "small" scale of the war against Britania...it had a different feel from the rest of the game, and from previous instalments as well. I'm happy to see something similar has been kept in the sequel. From the looks of it there are going to be much more Votoms units this time around.

I've never played a SRW game, but I plan to try out the fan translation of J sometime. Is the gameplay more akin to FF Tactics or Advance Wars?

Mandoric

Banned
I've never played a SRW game, but I plan to try out the fan translation of J sometime. Is the gameplay more akin to FF Tactics or Advance Wars?

Advance wars: Flat grid, terrain type rather than relative position matters, healing tiles, 15v30 (or 60v120 in 4-unit squads!) battles, "magic" is an immediate effect rather than eating a turn, cut to special animation sequence on every attack, in-map reinforcements, no random battles, no world map, dialog-battle-dialog-intermission-repeat cadence
FFT: Unit experience, point-buy skills, each unit is a unique character, each unit has its own "magic" spell list and resource pool, equipment

If you've ever tried Fire Emblem or Shining Force, think closer to one of those than to FFT or AW.

Beth Cyra

Will take the Wing/OO route for the first run.

Don't really care for the Super's in this game aside from Shin Dragon/Aquarion so will probably see enough without taking the route.

Want to know which route to get Rand the earliest though, will easily be what I go with on my second run.

CorvoSol

I played Super Robot Wars W for the first time this last year. I have to say I really enjoy how over-the-top the games are with the attacks and all. Definitely also enjoyed having Heero Yuy and Souske Sagara on the same team.

On the whole I felt that I didn't really need to know Japanese to enjoy the game, although every once in awhile the game threw in a mission with special conditions that I had to go and look up.

Jubern

I really need to finish it... I was at the start of stage 53 but totally burnt out. Love the selection, the whole game, etc etc...
But stages got waaaay too long towards the end considering the absolute lack of challenge

Tsukumo

I played Super Robot Wars W for the first time this last year. I have to say I really enjoy how over-the-top the games are with the attacks and all. Definitely also enjoyed having Heero Yuy and Souske Sagara on the same team.

Srw W is the Alpha Gaiden's of Srw on a portable console. Perfect cast, exceptional writing, fast combat, balanced units (only gripe I have is with the zonda barrier, too weak even upgrading the enemy units by two slots) so many dynamic kills I can't even remember them all, and (much like Alpha Gaiden) animations had flawless, perfect length. And the bgms they picked...to die for.

On the whole I felt that I didn't really need to know Japanese to enjoy the game, although every once in awhile the game threw in a mission with special conditions that I had to go and look up.

That's easily the best Srw in terms of writing. The way they made the Tekkaman Blade 2 cast likeable is surprising to say the least.

Jubern

That's easily the best Srw in terms of writing. The way they made the Tekkaman Blade 2 cast likeable is surprising to say the least.

Ah, yes. I haven't seen TB2 (nor TB1, as a matter of fact) and I was really surprised to see the reaction to the actual series o_O They're pretty cool in the game, it works really well.

W is definitely one of my favorites SRW so far (among those I played) in terms of story.

Bebpo

Banned
Does anyone know what Z2-2 got in Famitsu this week? No one made a famitsu thread and I can't find the score. Planning on putting together the official thread today and could include it I guess.

Tsukumo

Does anyone know what Z2-2 got in Famitsu this week? No one made a famitsu thread and I can't find the score. Planning on putting together the official thread today and could include it I guess.

I'll try and find a scan on 2chan. If i do I'll translate it and pm you.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished my replay of Z2-1 Hakai-hen. Took me about 24 hours to replay it, mainly because on the last handful of maps I was actually paying attention to the story since it was the final build up to Z2-2.

I actually really liked Z2-1 on replay. Much more than I enjoyed it the first time around. I put this mainly on Z2-1 being a big "???" on how much of the stories it was going to cover and so I came away disappointed it didn't go further in a lot of them and the OG plot left a lot of mysteries. But now with Z2-2 here, that's less of an issue and looking at Z2-1 for what it actually offers, it's a really good SRW game. Lots of great stories, scenes, AWESOME animation, sprites, incredibly detailed voice work for all kinds of battle reactions. Very good gameplay, although it could have used squads and been tougher. I like how fast most maps are if you skip all the animations. Also almost NO TURNS WASTED ON MOVING CHARACTERS ACROSS THE MAP. Between good movement speeds + dash skill and smaller maps, almost no SEA MAPS, etc... it's a very high speed SRW like the DS games, which is awesome! I hate slowwww SRW gameplay.

I think the only things I still don't like is that the map attacks tend to look really cheap, and with OO S1 the GN Arms upgrade for Setsuna/Lockon being cheap looking map attacks instead of awesome animation sprites. And Godmars story is pretty boring and the worst plot of the game. Otherwise I think Z2-1 is probably my 2nd favorite SRW behind Z1 after this playthrough.

Very good gameplay, although it could have used squads and been tougher. I like how fast most maps are if you skip all the animations. Also almost NO TURNS WASTED ON MOVING CHARACTERS ACROSS THE MAP. Between good movement speeds + dash skill and smaller maps, almost no SEA MAPS, etc... it's a very high speed SRW like the DS games, which is awesome! I hate slowwww SRW gameplay.
I agree with you there. I dislike slow tactics games in general. SRW and Fire Emblem are two series that consistently have very good UI and adjustable combat speed.

Z2-2 is looking like another excellent SRW, again a bit too easy, but you probably won't notice with all the crazy stuff happening every scenario.

Bebpo

Banned
Back to random discussion of non-Z series SRW. I posted this on another forum and thought it'd be worth discussing here as well. My thoughts on the future of SRW franchise for the next 3 years:

I was talking to duckroll and I think this is the problem with OGs:

Unlike Licensed SRW where every few entries you reboot the cast down to a small list of w/new sprites and build up through re-use, OG SRW is getting problematic because the cast list is only going to keep GROWING every game forever and ever.

To make OGs1&2 on PS2 they had to make X amount of sprites at PS2 low-resolution.

To make 2nd OGs on PS3 they have to make X amount of sprites + Y amount of new sprites for the new entries AND do all of this at PS3 high-resolution.

That's like 2-4x the amount of work required.

Now imagine if they have to make OG3 for another system because in 2015 PS3 isn't viable anymore. Then they have to do that work all over again. It's just not feasible AT ALL.

So my guess, is they are taking their time with 2nd OGs and doing 2-4x the amount of work that OGs was and they are FUTURE PROOFING these sprites and animations at such a resolution and sharpness that no matter what system or where OGs3, OGs4, OGs5 go, they can keep re-using these sprites for this cast and then only need to make sprites for the new entries each game and new moves for the old cast members. So this is taking extra time and 2nd OGs will probably come out fall 2012 or spring 2013.

It's also why I think 2nd OGs isn't going to have a lot of new cast. Right now it's just SRW D, SRW MX, the rest of SRW Alpha 2, and 1 character from SRW Alpha 3. I think that's going to be the final new cast list. It's such a huge effort to just remake ALL the OGs cast in new high-res sprites that they don't have a lot of time/budget to do a ton of new characters as well. So the new entry cast will be small. Then OGs3 will have a ton of new entry stuff because they can just re-use all these sprites and spend the dev time on the new entry series. So I think this will be a stopgap/transition OGs game that is mainly about just seeing old favorites in new sprites and animations and not really moving the story a ton (though it'll cover Alpha 2's plot at least which is major).

Anyhow, that's my theory. I think 2nd OGs will be fall/spring, Z3 will be 2014 or 2015 (2015 more likely), and they will announce a 3DS SRW licensed game soon, either for this x-mas or if 2nd OGs is 2012 than next spring/summer that will have slightly better than DS quality sprites/animations w/full voice by the team that did the DS games (and that's why it's taking them a few years; it'll be a "medium" budget SRW; not as high quality as the Z series, but not as LQ as the DS entries). And there will probably be a 3D one by the Neo team in the next year or two. Wouldn't be surprised if it was for 3DS as well.

Bebpo

Banned
So now that they just announced they're extending Gundam Unicorn OAV for another few years with more volumes instead of ending it this year at vol.6, I wonder what they're going to do about putting it in SRW. It's already going to be pretty old by Z3 in 2015-ish, and so I don't think they want to wait until the next SRW series in 2018 to first include Unicorn in SRW.

But if Z3 is the finale to the Z series they can't do part of a show and leave it hanging.

I think they're going to have to do Gundam Unicorn (novel version) for the entry or if they split Z3 into 2 or 3 parts, they'll have time. But I don't want the latter :p

It also seems pretty likely that the 2018 new SRW series will open with Eva Rebuild movie storyline. Timing should fit just right.

Jubern

There's only one more Unicorn episode, and from the looks of it it's really just in order to do a better adaptation. It'll probably be over by early-mid 2014, and Z3 probably wouldn't be anywhere near release at that point.
What I mean is that if they want to put Unicorn in its entirety in Z3, it'll probably be really easy.

I do agree with Eva Rebuild being a good candidate for next series though.

Anyway, now that we're done with Z2, I'll be lurking for OG2nd. Come oooooon Banprestoooo.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I'm expecting a new release date announced in the summer for fall release. (fingers crossed)

I still need to finish OG Gaiden (I played the first 13 stages that were from OG2.5 when OGG came out, but never played further). So when they announce the release date I'm gonna be playing that to get ready.

Jubern

The setup for it is perfect, it almost begs to be in there.

As for chances, as in "can it make it?"... I don't see what's the holdup would be. Gainax let them use GL this time, after all.

Top Bottom