• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Caayn

I really wish MS would have done both methods. You have the traditional with what you have now, but if you wanted to, you could register and deregister a disc and in the process would gain access to family share, not needing to swap discs and so forth. That would remain in effect until you deregistered the disc.
This, people this. I truly hope that Microsoft will reconsider and give us this. I loved that the Xbox One didn't need to use discs to play disc-based games.

shandy706

Let's grab those goalposts and DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG them over here.

We weren't going to get the 10 person sharing plan and the ability to have permanent offline/used/trade games.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8bits

Banned
Yeah, MS was totally going to let 10 people split the cost of one game and all play with no restrictions. Fuck you people are dumb.

"no restrictions"...seriously man? You don't even understand how it would have worked. Please stop trying to troll.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Without family sharing, I don't desire a second console anymore.

qYdkdbV.png

8bits

Banned
Let's grab those goalposts and DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG them over here.

We weren't going to get the 10 person sharing plan and the ability to have permanent offline/used/trade games.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Used and traded games were going to be enabled post launched.

Raist

Banned
Please.

1) There is NOTHING preventing MS from still going with a digital game sharing. It's been done by Sony without the DRM bullshit.

2) It was NEVER going to be the way some people here thought it was in the first place. MS employees themselves didn't seem to agree on how it worked.

Zoe

Is there anyway they could make the Family Sharing features something they can tie to Xbox Live Gold? That way people can have a choice in the matter? I actually was interested in the sharing features...

It was gonna be behind Gold anyway.

Pathetic, it's just a big fuck you to people. They were going to give people something, but no, fuck off, you begged for no DRM, you ain't gettin' shit beyond that.

They are not giving a fuck off. Those features existed because there was online checks in place to prevent it o being exploited.

And they said they still plan on bringing this feature in the feature.

Guevara

How, honestly did people expect this to work? It seems like without any details people were expecting an unprecedented level of sharing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You know what's bullshit? An internet collective denouncing any form of innovation, in terms of moving towards the future, because they don't completely understand it.

I'm ready for a digital future. I'm ready for disks to be phased out. I'm ready to share a game with multiple people without having to worry about the disk getting fucked in the process, not to mention sharing with someone on the opposite coast.

I'm also ready to "gift" games digitally after I'm done with them. But now? If I download something, It's mine. Forever. Stuck in my fucking hard drive, unable to share or disperse.

When I download something, I understand I can't resell it or get any cash back for it. But the potential to share it or give it to someone is fucking awesome. And now because the internet bitched their asses off, I'm unable to do this. I'm stuck in 2010.

Thanks, guys!
It's okay Don. We know you tried.

My thoughts exactly. This was pretty much Bone's only advantage over the PS4. It was more secure for devs, and it gave users muc greater flexibility in accessing/sharing their content. Now that it's dead, the Bone is no different (except being less powerful) than PS4.

Now I can't install all my games, and play them without the disc.
Now I can't access all my games from whatever Bone I'm logged into.
Now I can't digitally share my library with my friends, and they can't share theirs.

To whomever helped to effect the changes in policy above, fuck you.

To MS, for not adequately communicating the advantages of these forward-thinking policies, having such a muddied message in the first place, and for spinelessly giving in to pressure, not even trying to come up with a compromise, triple-fuck you.

Edit: I dub thee, Xbox One, to be forever called... Xbox 180.

^This all day long. WAS looking forward to all of these

Now I can't digitally share my library with my friends, and they can't share theirs.

SRTtoZ

I dont know how well this is going to go down with people. A lot of people here on Gaf still wont buy an XB1, and MS also pissed off the only supporters they had from the new features they were bringing to the XB1 (Family sharing).

Spasm

Forgot this one:

Now I can't have matchmaking set up in the background, and instantly jump to the new match when it's ready.

nillapuddin

My thoughts exactly. This was pretty much Bone's only advantage over the PS4. It was more secure for devs, and it gave users muc greater flexibility in accessing/sharing their content. Now that it's dead, the Bone is no different (except being less powerful) than PS4.

To MS, for not adequately communicating the advantages of these forward-thinking policies, having such a muddied message in the first place, and for spinelessly giving in to pressure, not even trying to come up with a compromise, triple-fuck you.

all day.

Chitown B

Look at the backlash. Look at Sony's crazy amount of applause at e3 when they noticed they're not doing it. Look at Sony using it on mainstream tv on Jimmy Fallon. People weren't ready.

just because a bunch of people on the internet got upset doesn't mean that as a whole people don't download most things these days as it is. Especially kids, 18 and under.

dem

playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Fucking DRM whiners ruined it all

Not having to change the disc... AND being able to lend games without lending a disc.
THAT would have been awesome.

fuenf

I doubt that was ever the plan, I see no reason why MS wouldnt be able to still offer these features on a voluntary basis or for the DD store. I think it's a good bet that MS announced their plans without talking to the publishers first.

ev0

This, people this. I truly hope that Microsoft will reconsider and give us this. I loved that the Xbox One didn't need to use discs to play disc-based games.

I agree. Don't get me wrong I really didnt agree with a lot of what MS was doing.

But I do wish they could have split the difference on this somehow. Like disc in tray, no checks. Installed to hdd? Online checks. I don't think anyone would complain about more choices.

GlamFM

Banned
Can't shake the feeling that people who wouldn't have bought the console in the first place destroyed the console that I wanted.

We'll see how it all plays out, but right now I think that Microsoft is in a weaker position than they were before.

Now it's really just a more expensive and less powerful PS4.

Meh..

Lucifon

Honestly hate this announcement. Price is the bigger issue. I feel slackening on some of the policies and reducing the price would have been a much better move.

Instead they've done a full 180 and as a result we've lost some of the most interesting features of the system. No family share. No logging into any console in the world and downloading your games. Disk always needed in console. As a result this probably means no instant game swapping for games bought on disk. Also one can assume this means when you buy a disk game you don't get the digital version included too.

I really hope they reach a balance rather than going completely the opposite way.

Tawpgun

Xbox One lost its edge against Sony imo.

Ignoring the games for a second...

One console lets you share games digitally, in an age where day one digital is a thing. The family sharing plan lets you pick 10 people that can access your library. Now that is gone. So you can choose...

A $499 console that comes with cool TV features and a fancy camera.

or

A $399 console that's more powerful and is more focused on gaming.

for someone who doesn't give a shit about TV, the choice is obvious. But of course, the exclusives can sell consoles. XB1 still has more interesting exclusives as far as I am concerned, but PS4 allowing Indie Self Publishing is huge.

The Lamp

Why did this feature exist in the first place?

As I said in the other thread, it was ironic and ass-backwards.

Publishers wanted DRM to curb sales lost from used games.

Then a feature is announced that curbs sales in general because people can share their games with 10 people?

Single-player games were at the biggest risk of being traded in once they're finished, and now customers could buy a single copy of a game and share it with 10 people once they were done with it?

It was going in circles.

Never forget...

Qf0kCRD.png

Bunk picture. In the family sharing plan, multiple people would NOT be able to play the same game at the same time. One game at different times, yes. And different games at the same time, yes. It's been said in interviews with MS already, before today's change. Not to mention publishers (EA) with the ability of limiting share numbers of their games.

Guys, this sharing plan wasn't as awesome as yous think it was.

SRTtoZ

just because a bunch of people on the internet got upset doesn't mean that as a whole people don't download most things these days as it is. Especially kids, 18 and under.

Thats the thing, it wasnt JUST the internet. It was mainstream news. It was freaking Jimmy Fallon for god sakes.

Spasm

This likely will be implemented later on as a feature requiring the online check in. But as an OPTIONAL FEATURE it represents a much more valuable proposition.

I would like to believe you, but I just don't think it could even work as an optional feature. It doesn't work unless it's ecosystem wide. It's exploitable otherwise.

Opt-inners buy the disc, install it, give it to opt-outers.

This likely will be implemented later on as a feature requiring the online check in. But as an OPTIONAL FEATURE it represents a much more valuable proposition.
This.

And part of me thinks they never had it worked out entirely anyway. It sure as hell didn't seem like an answer to the publisher woes of used games.

I would like to believe you, but I just don't think it could even work as an optional feature. It doesn't work unless it's ecosystem wide. It's exploitable otherwise.

Opt-inners buy the disc, install it, give it to opt-outers.
Sharing was already an "exploit" that provided one game to multiple people. It had the same end result I mean.

Chaos17

Can't shake the feeling that people who wouldn't have bought the console in the first place destroyed the console that I wanted.

We'll see how it all plays out, but right now I think that Microsoft is in a weaker position than they were before.

Now it's really just a more expensive and less powerful PS4.

Meh..

You're the only one who decide to buy or not.

Yep. Exactly my feelings.

It's in Swedish but here's my canceled pre-order.

preordercanceled55phe0hkdg.jpg

Yeah, it's a bummer.

Honestly, they should have kept family sharing with digital purchases. It would give people an actual incentive to buy digital rather than retail without alienating retailers.

I'd rather have no family sharing than their old policies, but no denying this is a bummer.

Izick

Such a shame. This could have been a major feature if Microsoft had just rode this all out. I'd rather have my games accessible to 10 other people digitally, rather than have to lend the disc. Not to mention I would only need one disc for me and a friend to play through a single-player game.

I'm glad people can play offline and trade in games, but this sucks. It could have been a real selling point.

Personally, I don't even see how publishers would have been okay with the original Family Sharing plan. To me it seemed worse than used games. Think about it, as of right now a physical disk needs to be transferred between people for the game to be played. But, under that plan up to ten people from anywhere in the world could have the same game installed and play but under one license, the only con is that the game could only be played one at a time. Nine friends and I could split the cost of a game and Family Share it with only one license.

Chaos17

Why the hell would I want to lend a physical copy when i could lend it digitally?

Fucking DRM whiners
so naive, so young.
Sony tried a similar plan and you know what happened ?
Third parties were angry, so Sony cancelled it.

Top Bottom