• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

Yeah, you guys got significantly better graphics than ps2 and xbox. Just not at launch. What is that, the 5th time I've said this?

Say it as much as you want. It's wrong every time. Right now you're just coming across as someone that desperately wants something that's not true to be a reality. Sorry, ain't happening.

BlackJace

That´s simply the only thing to say, your ridiculous claims have zero base in reality, it´s like talking to someone who lives in another dimension.

So all of the interviews and articles about the ps3 being difficult to develop for, and how devs have just been getting the hang of it recently are all false?

Oookay.

And cut out the ad hominem and hyperbole, its irritating.

Do you think the PS4 and Xbox 720 launch will blow away high end PS3 and 360 games?.

Star Wars and Crysis 3 (DX 11) already look better than every 360 and PS3 game released ever. MS' and Sony's new boxes are still over a year away.

Bungie's new game is supposed to co-launch on 360/720, I'd expect the 720 version to look better, at 60 fps/1080p, if the hardware is a substantial leap.

Blackjace, did you own a PS3 or 360 back in 2006? Games like Call of Duty 2, PGR3, Madden, Fight Night, Oblivion, Ghost Recon, Resistance and Motorstorm blew away comparable games on PS2 and Xbox from 2005/2006. And it wasn't just an HD difference.

Do you actually dispute this?

Again, it's really interesting to note that not everyone has the same standards. Some people really think games like Star Wars 1313 and Watch_Dogs blow current generation away while others look at these titles and say, "That's it?"

Meelow

Banned
We will just have to see about the leap from launch games.

Also the Star Wars 1313 is from a high end PC, just remember that.

BlackJace

Say it as much as you want. It's wrong every time. Right now you're just coming across as someone that desperately wants something that's not true to be a reality. Sorry, ain't happening.

So, 360 and ps3 launch titles were significantly better than their predecessors at launch? You really believe that?

TheD

The Detective
If the WiiU was a substantially more powerful hardware than 360/PS3 it would´ve been no problem to make a game that blows anything on the old consoles away in a very short amount of time ( let alone all the years that Nintendo´s basically doing nothing but counting money).

Correct,
at the very least you would have ports running at much higher res.

Gone are the days of crazy GPU architecture (looking at you PS2), with a GPU from AMD devs should have no problem taking advantige of faster/more ALUs, TMUs and ROPS.

So, 360 and ps3 launch titles were significantly better than their predecessors at launch? You really believe that?

The 360 launch games look a fair amount better than xbox games and launch PS3 games look TONS better than any PS2 game.

And to anyone who says "the Wii U has a GPGPU!!!!!" BIG WHOOP!, The 360 GPU can work as a GPGPU, every non SOC GPU from both AMD and Nvidia are GPGPUs these days and it is only good for a smallish subset of code and can not makeup for a poor CPU.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yeah, you guys got significantly better graphics than ps2 and xbox. Just not at launch. What is that, the 5th time I've said this?

kameo10sr59xdug.jpg

kameo_28678.jpg

perfect_dark_zero_11.jpg

PGR3cockpit_view.jpg

please show me a ps2/xbox game that comes close to these launch titles

Did I stutter the first time I answered it? It's cute that you want to believe you're right, but don't expect everyone else to play into your delusions.

We will just have to see about the leap from launch games.

Also the Star Wars 1313 is from a high end PC, just remember that.

It will translate well on to next gen systems though...it will run fine at 720p and might look even better, thanks to a huge drop in resolution.

this is unbelievable.... dat ignorance.

BlackJace

Did I stutter the first time I answered it? It's cute that you want to believe you're right, but don't expect everyone else to play into your delusions.

Don't patronize me. Calling me delusional is nothing short of a childish defense mechanicism. Try an actual rebuttal to what I said next time okay?

Why are people trying to rewrite history in this thread? PS3 and 360 were a giant step ahead of PS2 and Xbox from day 1, there is no argument there. I mean, the resolution jump alone was ridiculous.

Don't patronize me. Calling me delusional is nothing short of a childish defense mechanicism. Try an actual rebuttal to what I said next time okay?

Coming from the guy who called someone with a contrary opinion a "troll", your little whine-fest doesn't mean much.

Why are people trying to rewrite history in this thread? PS3 and 360 were a giant step ahead of PS2 and Xbox from day 1, there is no argument there. I mean, the resolution jump alone was ridiculous.

I assume he's a Nintendo fan that want's to believe this current situation is normal. But we all know it isn't. But then again not many consoles in the past have launched in the manner the Wii U is, so I don't think comparing it to the PS3/360 launch is even fair.

AOC83

Banned
So all of the interviews and articles about the ps3 being difficult to develop for, and how devs have just been getting the hang of it recently are all false?

Can you please tell me where the connection is here? Difficult to develop on PS3 = games look worse than on the PS2?

The launch games on 360/PS3 looked way better than anything on their predecessors, that´s a simple fact, it´s not debatable.

Oookay.

And cut out the ad hominem and hyperbole, its irritating.

Then do yourself a favor and inform yourself before you enter a discussion, it´s really irritating if you talk to someone that has absolutely zero knowledge about the subject.

BlackJace

And with that I'm outta here. Not once did I say the 720 or thr PS4 wouldn't be noticeablely better. All I said was that launch titles aren't indicative of the console true power. But for some reason that's taken as an attack on them. Whaaaaaatever....

adelante

It's not so much "people" but rather just one guy that's actively doing that. Despite many others telling him otherwise..

Meelow

Banned
I'm not trying to join this argument but did people forget about Conker?

Bats_Tower_stronghold.jpg

And do people think that's all we seen of the Wii U's power?.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And with that I'm outta here. Not once did I say the 720 or thr PS4 wouldn't be noticeablely better. All I said was that launch titles aren't indicative of the console true power. But for some reason that's taken as an attack on them. Whaaaaaatever....

You ignored the evidence with pictures above, theres really no argument, PS3/360 launch titles look significantly than anything on Xbox/PS2. Same will be true for PS4/720.

People expecting 1313 to be the benchmark visually next gen make me chuckle....Even what we are seeing on a PC wont be close to what we will see by the end of next gen when devs have fiddled with the hardware... As for the system it was running on, I doubt what we saw was highly optimized to push a 680 to its limits

I don't think anyone is arguing that the true power of consoles is exhibited post 2nd year games of said console.

But this topic has diverged to the discussion that the Wii U launch titles do not showcase visuals that are significantly improved over current gen. This is in contrast to the launch games of Ps360.

zoukka

People expecting 1313 to be the benchmark visually next gen make me chuckle....Even what we are seeing on a PC wont be close to what we will see by the end of next gen when devs have fiddled with the hardware... As for the system it was running on, I doubt what we saw was highly optimized to push a 680 to its limits

Who said that?

Am I missing something?
Conker and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory hold up really well with early 360 titles.

I think that was his intention. Both are rendering at lower resolution than the vast majority of 360 titles and have small cramped environments, but the conclusion is sound.

There is a jump between Xbox and 360, but in the hands of competent developers that difference is not quite as pronounced as some of you are stating.

TheD

The Detective
That Conker on the Xbox looked good.

Maybe because the Xbox was an SD console and wasn't 720p unlike the Xbox 360.

Don't be dumb.

Not only could the xbox 1 output at HD res, but the game would not look even close to as good if it needed to support rendering at a higher res.

Higher res = slower to render.

zoukka

Of course the mere improvements of image quality make the jump quite big, but if we go back in time, I remember how badly I was disappointed that the games didn't look any better. Of course back then I had no clue of how games are made and how increasingly time consuming the asset pipeline grows.

StuBurns

Banned
What? Yes, you did.
So, you're saying none of the PS4 or Xbox 3 launch games will look better than the best looking PS3 and 360 games, right?
It's likely they won't, yeah.

Meelow

Banned
Don't be dumb.

Not only could the xbox 1 output at HD res, but the game would not look even close to as good if it needed to support rendering at a higher res.

Higher res = slower to render.

The Xbox supports 720p as upscale, if it's no upscale to it it won't mean anything.

A lot of people are hyping the jump from the Xbox to the Xbox 360 but it wasn't as big as you guys keep jumping on about.

What? Yes, you did.
SMH. I can't believe that some people are so intrinsically affiliated with a video game company that they'll rewrite what they just did minutes previously. If you ever find yourself that delusional, it's time to take a break from gaming and re-evaluate what is truly important to you.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the true power of consoles is exhibited post 2nd year games of said console.

But this topic has diverged to the discussion that the Wii U launch titles do not showcase visuals that are significantly improved over current gen. This is in contrast to the launch games of Ps360.

Yea, some bizarre statements in the thread.

And I haven't really seen any titles that exceed the graphical top-tier of either console from the WiiU. Not like the PS2/Xbox leap, where the leap was clear.

Bert

Again, it's really interesting to note that not everyone has the same standards. Some people really think games like Star Wars 1313 and Watch_Dogs blow current generation away while others look at these titles and say, "That's it?"

That's what makes the GAF to round.

At the very least, there were no launch titles that looked worse than their PS2 counterparts. Devs like EA (Madden) and Konami (Pro Evo) cut corners everywhere except graphics.

I think what most people are asking is, where is the Fight Night of the Wii U launch window games?

Top Bottom