• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One rumors: release on November 5, Titanfall Cover, Tomb Raider port

That's a pretty shitty release date rumor. Ghosts is coming out on the 5th for PC 360 and PS3, that doesn't mean the XB1 is coming out then.

AC4 releases on October 29th and it's in a PS4 launch day bundle. That doesn't mean the PS4 releases then.

Oct 29th has been my guess for the PS4 ever since it came out as the AC4 release date, but you're right... it's all a guess at this point.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nov. 5 is about two weeks earlier than I was expecting. Interesting.

Now the question is when is the PS4 landing? The week before?

nib95

Banned
Seriously?

It's hard to find like angles looking quickly...but I'll crop a few of my own screens to help highlight texture/character differences.

Console Lara
htzk.png

PC Lara
9yhp.png

0bm7.png

Console Textures Up Close
1dup.jpg

PC Textures Up Close
jx8j.png

That on the left is a gnarly tree...nearly touching the in-game camera. Check out all that detail. I literally swung the camera against it.

Also, in motion Tomb Raider looks even better. I'd say screen-shots alone don't come anywhere near doing it justice maxed out on PC.

This is a hilarious comparison.

Console pic - Closer and larger and when Lara has less marks and dirt on her.
PC pic - Further away and smaller and at a completely different point in time with different marks, textures etc on Lara.

Obviously account for the PC's higher resolution (these have been down sized to 720p).

PS3_011.png

PC_011.png

PS3_002.png

PC_002.png

If you have TressFX running. Be warned it is a bit of a resource hog.

PS3_046.png

PC_046.png

PS3_024.png

PC_024.png

PS3_038.png

PC_038.png

JudgeB

Banned
Why would they have the release date of the 360 version on the X1 game page, with a picture of the X1 game case? Unless an intern is getting very sloppy, it seems like that date is a strong possibility for the console to launch.

antic604

Banned
Wow, I'm actually impressed how well TR looks on PS3/X360 vs. the PC (save for the TressFX thing).

Actually would be good to know which games will be ported to next-gen soon, because I still have some of them in my to-do-list (e.g. Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider)

Plainsong

TR looks beautiful on the 360 as it is. Probably up there as one of the best looking console games this gen. I'd love to see what it runs like on an XB1/PS4.

shandy706

This is a hilarious comparison.

Console pic - Closer and larger and when Lara has less marks and dirt on her.
PC pic - Further away and smaller and at a completely different point in time with different marks, textures etc on Lara.

Obviously account for the PC's higher resolution (these have been down sized to 720p).

You're calling mine laughable?

I took 1080p captures and cropped from them. Of course the console version and PC version are going to look closer when compressed down to 720p and only showing things at a distance. My example was perfectly fine.

The only thing those images you posted do is attempt to make it look similar. Having it on both my i7 rig and console....they are quite different.

LOL at using downsized images at a distance, to try and show a comparison. Yeah, blurry...lo-res images are always going to look "better/closer"

Also, that image of Lara's friend...it doesn't have a higher poly model/hair like Lara does on PC. It's the same model apparently across platforms. (unlike Lara)

60FPS + TressFX on a console.

Game is fucking beautiful that way.

Yeah...which doesn't show up in screens...as I said before. It's not comparable really.

TR looks beautiful on the 360 as it is. Probably up there as one of the best looking console games this gen. I'd love to see what it runs like on an XB1/PS4.

Agreed however I saw it running on a friends PC and it was just stunning. Would welcome a Xbox One/PS4 port.

nib95

Banned
You're calling mine laughable?

I took 1080p captures and cropped from them. Of course the console version and PC version are going to look closer when compressed down to 720p and only showing things at a distance. My example was perfectly fine.

The only thing those images you posted do is attempt to make it look similar. Having it on both my i7 rig and console....they are quite different.

LOL at using downsized images at a distance, to try and show a comparison. Yeah, blurry...lo-res images are always going to look "better/closer"

Also, that image of Lara's friend...it doesn't have a higher poly model/hair like Lara does on PC. It's the same model apparently across platforms. (unlike Lara)

Your comparisons were absolutely awful. Mine are from DF, and are at least a like for like, with close ups of characters and shots showing environmental details but of the exact same scene, same positioning, same angle, with the same lighting etc in both shots, unlike yours which are different sizes, different levels of zoom, different areas, different character shader and texture types etc. The only negative with the shots I posted are that the PC shots are downsized to 720p, but otherwise they are an exact like for like. I can't believe you are even attempting to compare our two screen comparisons. Lol.

I'll let GAF and common sense decide which is the better comparison.

shandy706

Your comparisons were absolutely awful. Mine are from DF, and are at least a like for like, with close ups of characters and shots showing environmental details but of the exact same scene, with the same lighting etc in both shots, unlike yours which are different sizes, different levels of zoom, different areas, different character shader and texture types etc. The only negative with the shots I posted are that the PC shots are downsized to 720p, but otherwise they are an exact like for like. I can't believe you are even attempting to compare our two screen comparisons. Lol.

I'll let GAF and common sense decide which is the better comparison.

Haha, ok. If GAF thinks downsized 720p PC shots are a fair comparison to 720p Console shots, so be it.

I thought DF was a joke now here?

We'll just ignore the fact that it visually trounces it in motion or if you get close to entities/objects. ;)

Did you play it on some mid-tear Laptop/PC or something.....or have you even played the PC version at all?

It looks good on the 360/PS3, but it doesn't hold a candle to the maxed PC version with all its self shadowing, AA, effects, and texturing. At least I used my own shots...and your copy/paste shots show the shadow differences.

bj00rn_

Banned
It was a petty, poorly placed comment to pimp the system and it's exclusives

HOW DARE THEY PROMOTE THEIR STUFF?!!!

angry-computer.jpg

Anyway, I'm still concerned by the no-single player trend.

Wow, I'm actually impressed how well TR looks on PS3/X360 vs. the PC (save for the TressFX thing).

I hope you are not talking about nib's comparison. He almost managed to make the PC version look worse than the PS3 version in some of the shots there, that should tell you everything you need to know..

Plainsong

Agreed however I saw it running on a friends PC and it was just stunning. Would welcome a Xbox One/PS4 port.

Yeah no doubt. Be interesting to see a port so we know where we are in terms of next gen vs current PC setups. I don't think they'll quite hit it but it'd be interesting to see it anyway.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I can think of a few games that could use the next gen treatment. Skyrim especially would be great maxed out at 60fps with Kinect support.

Plainsong

Think we'll probably see some Ubisoft stuff like Far Cry 3 in there, SquareEnix published stuff (obviously) and perhaps EA. And please Rockstar GTAV!

nib95

Banned
Haha, ok. If GAF thinks downsized 720p PC shots are a fair comparison to 720p Console shots, so be it.

I thought DF was a joke now here?

We'll just ignore the fact that it visually trounces it in motion or if you get close to entities/objects. ;)

Did you play it on some mid-tear Laptop/PC or something.....or have you even played the PC version at all?

I used my own shots.

You misunderstood my point. I'm not saying the PC version isn't superior, my point is that if you're going to show the graphical differences or compare the visuals, at least show a like for like or as close to. I've seen the game running on both a high end PC and both the consoles, and opted for a console version either way, just out of convenience (my PC is in my study hooked up to a monitor whilst my consoles are in my bedroom hooked up to my Kuro, not enough space to get my PC in here too). But yea, if you don't game on PC or have a gaming PC, just buy the console version. It looks excellent, though the frame rate can get ropey in areas.

KoopaTheCasual

Ughhh... that TitanFall box is hideous. It's a combination of that deep vomit green game case, and the awkwardly placed awards on the box. Yeesh. The XB1 should have really gone with a design closer to the old school 360 case.

Also about the release date, that is literally not news. It's the release date of Ghost, and doesn't even suggest "play it first/day one on the Xbox One". If anything, this is further evidence that COD Ghosts won't be a same day title as the console release. MS is just promoting one of the fastest selling franchises on their console. Nothing more nothing less. Gamescom should clear the air with all this speculation.

FrsDvl

Since MS always banks on CoD this date does make sense. They showed off CoD in full force. People link this game to the Xbox One. And MS probably assumes launching on the same date as CoD will move more consoles.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think it would be very smart for MS to release the Xbox One on the same day as COD. The Xbox brand would get a ton of attention.

The hype from Call of Duty would combine with the hype of the new Xbox launch. Plus, COD is more so known for being an Xbox game anyway.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ha, nice that Tomb Raider is getting a port. I already maxed out on it on the 360, but who knows if I go for it again in the future. Had a lot of fun with the game.

As for Titanfall's cover, it's great. Simple.

I think it would be very smart for MS to release the Xbox One on the same day as COD. The Xbox brand would get a ton of attention.

The hype from Call of Duty would combine with the hype of the new Xbox launch. Plus, COD is more so known for being an Xbox game anyway.
That would be a crazy day at retailers.

I don't like the dude squatting, it doesn't look right. One foot on the mech's balcony and another on the gun? He should be standing and maybe kind of hanging off the top part with one arm or something.

Nov 5 is cool. Hopefully the PS4 is earlier.

TriGen

I hope it doesn't launch the same day as current-gen CoD. The lines will be extra horrible. Combining the people there to pick up their new Xbox and the people there to pick up their copy of CoD would be madness, if you are partial to midnight launches like I am. Even though I'm usually all for the earliest date possible, I think I'd prefer the 12th just to avoid the CoD lines.

Tomb Raider port sounds interesting. Won't it be just the PS3 version since its superior? :p

Seriously, I would love that. 60fps with smoother graphics + extra content would be nice. The multiplayer would at least be smoother.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Tomb Raider looked mindblowing on PC, even if you couldn't use TressFX even on a 7870 (it killed the performance). I recall being constantly thinking 'I can't believe how great games look these days'. Should be great on next gen consoles!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Meh on the pointless Tomb Raider port. I don't think the promise of 1080p/60 fps is a big selling point for a months old port, not for me anyway.

November 5th date makes sense, sure would be a hassle for retailers though.

GavinGT

Banned
Meh on the pointless Tomb Raider port. I don't think the promise of 1080p/60 fps is a big selling point for a months old port, not for me anyway.

They need to reach their unrealistic sales goals, and porting it everywhere possible is the best way to do that.

Top Bottom