• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Will it be a slap in the face to iPhone 5s owners when Apple reveals the iPhone 6? Will it be a slap in the face for the owners of the newest iPad when Apple shows off the next iteration? I'm am Wii U owner and wouldn't see it as a slap in the face. I'd see it as Nintendo waking up and realizing the Wii U is a failure and its time to move on. Is it going to happen? No. But a slap in the face? No.

it wouldn't be a slap in the face to me personally, but it would be a guaranteed way to ensure that I dont buy the new console. I bought the wii u at launch and outside of maybe 3 games(zombiu, wonderful 101, mario i guess) I can't think of a single reason that I'd recommend it to anyone.

They still have to give me a reason to like the current thing I have before they bring out a new thing

FloatOn

if they did end up ditching the gamepad how low could they go price wise?

$100? more?

I can see myself owning a wii u at sub $200

So it would need to be better than PS4, as if it's on par or lower what's the point? And why don't you just buy a PC, if that's you criteria?

I have a PC and I play most of my SP games on my PC but I prefer to play MP games on consoles, the MP cheats and hacks make MP unplayable on PC for me.

I already have a PS4 , for me to switch to another console which has less or equal power is a waste. The PS4 at this point can do 1080P/60 for a limited amount of titles. Normally it is 900P/60 or 1080P/30. For me to switch at this point to a newer console it would need to be able to do 1080/60 on the majority of titles.
Why? What guarantees that? What guarantee do the 3rd parties have that their game will sell on a new Nintendo hardware?

If Nintendo was selling the most powerful gaming console ( assuming it wasn't over priced and did not have an exotic or propitiatory hardware architecture) the gamers would come and the developers would come. Nintendo's biggest enemy has always been Nintendo, they have become accustomed to being a step behind and they seem not to care. Maybe they have finally woken up and decided to make a move to the head of the class.

Piccoro

Why? Will it be a slap in the face to iPhone 5s owners when Apple reveals the iPhone 6? Will it be a slap in the face for the owners of the newest iPad when Apple shows off the next iteration? I'm am Wii U owner and wouldn't see it as a slap in the face. I'd see it as Nintendo waking up and realizing the Wii U is a failure and its time to move on. Is it going to happen? No. But a slap in the face? No.

I'm sorry but consoles have anything to do with smartphones, the life cycle is much longer.
A lot of gamers are jumping to the WiiU only now (because of MK8), and a new console reveal NEXT MONTH will be considered a huge slap in the face IMO.

I'm still gonna buy it this month though...

TsuWave

consoles market is different from phones and tablets

to get "value" out of your console purchase you need it to be supported for years to come, not many would buy a console, and the expensive peripherals and software, if their life cycle were 2 years

a console is a promise for the future, hence why generations last 5+ years

i can't honestly see how people would take kindly to seeing their console be dropped when arguably its potential hasn't even been fulfilled yet

hughesta

Banned
Do people really believe Nintendo will reveal a new home console at E3? Because that's ridiculous. It's way too soon for that.

If they release a full on new console all Wii U owners should get a massive discount on the new hardware. That would be the only way to keep good faith. I dont think a new console is coming though. Most likely a revision to 3DS or WiiU

Gartooth

I'm not sure if I'm grasping the rumor correctly. This is about a Wii U successor rather than a separate QoL platform right?

wildfire

Banned
The device uses the figurines as controllers of some sort. I doubt Nintendo would be happy to release something that's just Skylanders with Pokemon figures. I could see that device being their own spin on it.

The figures are controllers themselves? That would certainly be enough of a reason to count this as a new hardware announcement but the rumor is suggesting something else in general.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Whenever Iwata mentioned that their next consoles will share the same structure so that they can develop the same game for both systems.

How much do you thing PS4 will cost in Fall 2015? Anywhere from 300-400$ is OK in my book for the new hardware.

The new console might have a similar structure to Wii U so it can be compatible with it's games. I just can't see all those amazing Wii U games go to waste if they indeed announce a new hardware this E3...

Their next console and handheld will share the same software framework based on the Wii U one indeed, but I really doubt they are able to put that in place until 2015. Wii U OS, tools, eshop, infrastracture must be more mature than now to be used as a basis for the next framework. As for the price, it really seems that Nintendo doesn't have the capacity to produce consoles as cheap as Sony does.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not sure if I'm grasping the rumor correctly. This is about a Wii U successor rather than a separate QoL platform right?

It's a combination of rumours, from the new Nintendo system search engine stuff to the old Fusion fan fiction.

It's a load of nothing.

People that are saying its far too early for either a new handheld or a home console, they do know this would just be the reveal and they wouldn't actually release until late 2015 ?.

AGoodODST

I guess so, perhaps if all the announced games for the new machine were "also coming to WiiU" it wouldn't appear so bad.

They would have to do something like that.

Of course this is all under the assumption this is real (I don't think it is) but there is no way in hell Nintendo pours so many resources into Mario Kart and Smash (Zelda too depending how far along that is) if they aren't compatible in some way with this new thing.

The figures are controllers themselves? That would certainly be enough of a reason to count this as a new hardware announcement but the rumor is suggesting something else in general.

The patent showed something called 'character operation instrument' which is a 3D character figure that slots into the device and can send dpad like control inputs. But who knows if they'll actually produce that thing.

Papacheeks

Banned
Very unlikely. Announcing a console 1.5 years away from its release just dries up sales for whatever it's replacing (in this case the WiiU - which is the last thing they want). There's a reason why Sony and MS announced their consoles the same year they were released.

But the Wii U is dead. Mario Kart Bundle is not going to make a huge dent outside of current owners of the system.

Mind share for the current system is shit, casual people are not interested.

Even with a price drop, it won't do it any good.

There's too many thing's wrong with the system regardless of quality titles being released on it.

They need to strike now, while the Next Gen Iron is hot.

If they announce a new system that does what the VITA and PS4 are trying to do and do it the NIntendo way. It will sell like gang buster's.

But they need a Next gen name for it and clear intentions.
Also hopefully mend Third party relations as well with this new hardware.

But i'm going to be realistic and say the hardware is probably a health related piece of equipment with special type of games. Iwata said that's where they want to go.

But I see him getting the boot this June.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
People that are saying its far too early for either a new handheld or a home console, they do know this would just be the reveal and they wouldn't actually release until late 2015 ?.

Killing off sales for a year or more when they are already struggling would be monumentally stupid even for Nintendo.

They are trying to rebuild confidence in current platforms, there's no need to announce anything.

Considering the WiiU is doing worse than the Dreamcast did, they should ditch it. It's not too late to bring out a new system that can compete with the PS4 and XB1 on an even level. Publishers could actually make ports and Nintendo will no longer be left out.

Their handheld market is fine. No need to ruffle those feathers. What needs change is their home console and if they pull the rotten tooth that is the WiiU now, something better can grow in it's place.

Oersted

Both of them say that they've been told something by their own sources, independent of IGN's. IGN just broke cover first.

IGN made clear that they wouldnt run the story. Both, MCV and videogamer, are linking to it regardless and both are linking to the completely fake Nintendo Fusion rumor.

Papacheeks

Banned
Killing off sales for a year or more when they are already struggling would be monumentally stupid even for Nintendo.

They are trying to rebuild confidence in current platforms, there's no need to announce anything.

But they have shown that their First party, and second party offerings are not selling the system.

How will they rebuild confidence when no one cares about what their outputting?

Donkey Kong didn't sell, Mario's didn't sell that well, Wonderful 101 didn't sell.

The Mario kart bundle will sell, but will get over shadowed by PS4/MIcrosoft announcements.

Look at how much buzz Call of Duty is making.

You think Nintendo is going to be able to get Mind-share back with a system no one wants?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom