• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The events in the trilogy, mainly ME3, was galactic wide. The aftermath affects everything in the galaxy not just the known area. The control ending was a shepard AI controlling the reapers to control and protect the galaxy. The synthesis ending all life in the galaxy was transformed into machine\organic hybrid. The Destroy ending, anything reaper related (tech) was destroyed (mass relays, citadel, etc). The do nothing ending, Reapers win and the reaper cycle continues. The destroy ending could have been used as canon ending with a 100 year or more time jump but that is not what they wanted to do.
Only problem being that the Andromeda initiative launched before ME3.

Trippy

Is it true that there is only a handful of new races in Andromeda?

I was looking forward to learning about completely new races, how they evolved, all the political stuff which effects their motives and behaviours? (e,g Krogan's hating Salarians for the Genophage)....I thought we'd have a plethora of new backstories to learn about. I haven't paid any attention to the build up before reading reviews today, so I was wondering if we'd see any of the old races make a cameo in the new game, but it sounds like they've lazily rehashed the same species from the other games as an excuse not to create new ones?

How could they fuck this up? It was a chance to start over, unshackled from the plot elements of the previous game. All they had to do was make Mass Effect 1 (mkII)...the formula was already there for them.

jtb

Banned
You know, the natural corollary of a game being unpolished isn't that it respects player agency.

In fact the feedback seems to be player agency is subdued in this game compared to even other Mass Effect games.

Well, it looks like the return to open world + tighter combat means that there's a lot more freedom in approaching enemy encounters.

Iceternal

Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

This is almost worth a thread in itself and needs to be shared more.

WTF ?

Where did the animations and the shaders go ?!

The gameplay looks completely badass:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TedU1Zg.gif

qA13Vhw.gif

PFzb8UF.gif

I know that I am definitely going to have some fun there, at the very least.

Ok, damn. These gifs completely changed my mind. I might be able to ignore all the flaws, if the gameplay is like this.

danm999

Well, it looks like the return to open world + tighter combat means that there's a lot more freedom in approaching enemy encounters.

In combat it may be the case. The role playing and story choices however are being called out as worse which for an RPG troubles me.

Kimaka

obeast, I know we've gone back and forth on the KOTOR thing, but I will defend that game to the death.

KOTOR's wide-eyed innocence fits in perfectly with the Star Wars mythos, imo. It was the perfect Star Wars game. Still is.

And for as much shit that it takes these days for its binary choice/consequence, KOTOR's quest design is miles, fucking miles ahead of anything BioWare has made since then. The only game on par is DA:O (which I've always felt was the dumbed down version of KOTOR anyways), since it has the whole Landsmeet which is pretty cool as far as BioWare set pieces go.

I think about the sheer amount of sidequests just on Taris compared to now. Even a barebones sidequest in Kotor such as deciding to kill, bribe, or help an NPC is already ahead of what their recent games are offering. I could take all the janky animations and bad combat in the world if the quest design and roleplaying options weren't garbage.

Jarmel

Banned
Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

Even ignoring things like the textures and shading, the color direction is noticeably worse. There's garish yellow now on the Krogan.

To each his own I guess. I don't personally like them, but we were told that wasn't going to be the case for this game, that it would have its own unique feel gameplay wise. So you telling me it's fine because every game does it too is not really encouraging.

No, I'm saying that mechanic is not something unique DA:I and its presence is relatively meaningless in comparing the two games. Particularly since it's a significant part of DA:I's gameplay and influence system while, so far, it seems like something that can be totally ignored in ME:A.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

the contrast is extraordinary. like, well beyond tuning it down a notch or two. yeah, i'd say there certainly appears to've been something other than being rushed going on, but hell if i can think of what. maybe making some portions of the game match other portions? & eventually hitting some kinda lowest common denominator, so that nothing stood out, or was jarring? not that that ended up working too well :) ...

ironcreed

Banned
Ok, damn. These gifs completely changed my mind. I might be able to ignore all the flaws, if the gameplay is like this.

Watching a live stream and also staying open minded enough to listen to positive impressions completely brought me back in after laughing at all of the hilarious glitches and such. What I watched did nothing but make me want to play and I can't ignore that.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Reposting because I came in hot before the lock:

Oddly enough, while watching Jeff and Brad play (and shit on) this game for a hour I can´t help it - I´m getting hyped.

I´ll be commanding this ship soon and I´ll be flying through the galaxy to shoot up some aliens.

The setting alone will be enough for me to role-play the shit out of this.

And I´ll probably enjoy it while being disappointed that it is not better.
See, this is a fantastic attitude. I was getting less and less hyped over the last week, but you're right--it is still an epic sci-fi space opera despite its obvious shortcomings. I NEED to put myself in this mindset and I will likely enjoy, as you say, the "shit out of it". :)

That other thread made me read Glixel's review:

It notes that the game starts to improve and that Mass Effect 1 had flaws and formulaic stuff in it too, but admits that this could just be bargaining and the game is a disappointment:

BioWare's interstellar epic burns up on re-entry

You're in high orbit over Habitat 7, a garden world in the Eriksson System that is to be humanity's new home, when you first realize that something has gone terribly wrong. You've travelled six hundred years to get to the Andromeda galaxy on little more than the hope that you'd find something new and better than what you had before, back in the Milky Way. Even from above, Habitat 7 is obviously incompatible with human life; electrical storms that span the sky and there are floating lodestones the size of mountains – hell, maybe they are mountains. All this time, all this space, only to realize that, well, Andromeda kind of sucks.

At one point, your pugnacious Krogan, Nakmor Drack, and a dour Salarian administrator rehash a familiar debate over the Genophage you cured (or not) in Mass Effect 3.

"You had no right to sterilize our species!" bellows Drack.

"Your people deserved it for using nuclear bombs on each other," the Salarian replies.

"I guess that is true," Drack chuckles, and the conversation abruptly ends.

Andromeda is constantly weighed down by its ham-handed attempts at character building. Barely 15 minutes into the game, your "beloved" twin brother, about whom you know exactly nothing and consequently give precisely zero shits about, goes into a coma. Ryder is inconsolable, while you, on the other hand, feel nothing, underscoring your own alienation from Andromeda. Too often, the game desperately wants you to feel a particular emotion, but does none of the work necessary to get you to feel it. As you cruise across the frozen tundra of Voeld, Andromeda's paradigmatic ice planet, one of your squadmates says, "Look outside. It's harsh, but beautiful. I like it," as if demanding that you feel the same.
Within its first hour, Andromeda bestows upon you an honorific that you have not earned, fuses your brain with a superintelligent AI, and carries you, step by step, through terraforming a radioactive desert planet into a slightly less radioactive desert planet with clear skies. Afterwards, when you return to the Nexus, the mood has suddenly become hopeful. You, however, feel like you've polished off a checklist, because you have.
What's missing most of all from Andromeda, though, is any genuine sense of exploration. In Andromeda, there are no indifferent gods to be found over the next hill, only more waypoints. Consequently, there's no reason to set off into uncharted territory because you know that a mission will send you there anyway. Andromeda has so little faith that you'll explore on your own that anything worth seeing in its cosmic wilds is clearly marked and integrated into some kind of quest chain. Scan these rocks, gather these plants. Even if it were possible to get lost in Andromeda, I can't imagine wanting to; no matter how gorgeous the game's vistas may be, they exist largely to be exhausted and, as a result, give off a sense of emptiness, not possibility. This would be a disaster for any open world, but for a game in which you supposedly play a "Pathfinder," it's fatal. Andromeda is a game about exploration that gives you no space or reason to explore.
Eventually, you also start to forgive, or even reappraise, some of the game's most conspicuous faults. Maybe your first impressions of your companions weren't so fair after all. It's no fault of PeeBee that she's not Liara, and your opinion of her begins to improve at the moment you start to see her for her. As you hear more of your companion's backstories – Jaal's long lost love, Cora's sense of abandonment, etc. – and listen to their conversations during long drives across lonely planets, you start to suspect that they aren't as hollow inside as you once thought they were. You even start to look past some of the visual bugs. Maybe Ryder's uncomfortably wide smile is just another dimension of her awkwardness. Perhaps those slightly-too-large eyes are a sign of her childlike wonder, and not mere bungling from BioWare's animators.

To be sure, this is a form of bargaining, a desperate bid to see an imperfect game as better than it is. But, let's be frank – given its legacy, in what galaxy were you not going to be disappointed by Mass Effect: Andromeda?

RIP Cora's ponytail.

yeah this is what I was talking about, they changed up the weather but it seems they changed a ton more for better or worse.

I'm okay with this. It would be nice if it reached the top-tier of ME at its peak, but I managed to enjoy Dragon Age: Inquisition, since I've always been more of an explorer type anyway. If this game is uneven, but lets me wander around strange alien worlds and poke around at stuff, then I'll enjoy myself, even if it's not a top-tier, GOTY experience.

On the other hand, as an older gamer that grew up during glory days of the JRPG from the SNES era onwards, I find it weirdly uplifting that Persona 5 may just end up being the RPG of the year for 2017. Hadn't seen a JPRG with a legitimate shot at that spot in quite some time, and I'm actually okay with that as well.

Some of the reviews mention the exploration is decent, so that's one aspect I'm looking forward to.

I'm one of those weirdos who liked exploring the uncharted worlds from ME1, even though I hated having to fight the damn Mako every time.
I liked the little side stories you could across, like the Geth incursions that ended with a transmission that sent songs to other Geth in the galaxy, or seeing that eerie message EDI sent during the Luna VI mission, or coming across a prothean object that told of the Protheans involvement with ancient humans.

It'll be great to see Bioware's uncharted worlds concept fully realized.

What's missing most of all from Andromeda, though, is any genuine sense of exploration. In Andromeda, there are no indifferent gods to be found over the next hill, only more waypoints. Consequently, there's no reason to set off into uncharted territory because you know that a mission will send you there anyway. Andromeda has so little faith that you'll explore on your own that anything worth seeing in its cosmic wilds is clearly marked and integrated into some kind of quest chain. Scan these rocks, gather these plants. Even if it were possible to get lost in Andromeda, I can't imagine wanting to; no matter how gorgeous the game's vistas may be, they exist largely to be exhausted and, as a result, give off a sense of emptiness, not possibility. This would be a disaster for any open world, but for a game in which you supposedly play a "Pathfinder," it's fatal. Andromeda is a game about exploration that gives you no space or reason to explore.

giphy.gif

the contrast is extraordinary. like, well beyond tuning it down a notch or two. yeah, i'd say there certainly appears to've been something other than being rushed going on, but hell if i can think of what. maybe making some portions of the game match other portions? & eventually hitting some kinda lowest common denominator, so that nothing stood out, or was jarring? not that that ended up working too well :) ...

A guy on reddit theorises that it's due to the way the faces were animated.

Outside of the obvious texture and lighting quality downgrades, it's notable that in this clip there's been a total loss of eye control in the animation (notably opening and closing) and also most of the face animation outside of eyebrows and the immediate mouth area.

Not an animator personally so someone else might be able to shed better light on this, but I do work in a game studio so I'm wondering if perhaps they're using facial bones for animation rather than blendshapes and had to cut down on bones or switch systems at some point but didn't have time to correct all the problems it caused?

If they were using blendshapes I can't imagine why so much facial animation would be lost. If they were using bones and had to remove them though it could explain some of the weirdness seen elsewhere? The animations were clearly reasonable at some point.

Nameless

Expected mid 70s - low 80s given the 'backlash' and the overall dour lead up to the game. Still looking forward to making up my own mind, though, as Metacritic has proven to be unreliable far too many times. Besides it'll take an FFXV-tier disappointment for me not to get my $40 worth.

roytheone

So ehm, from the GB quick look, can you really not skip those Cutscenes when moving from planet to planet? They get old super fast especially when you get them even if you go to a simple asteroid to scan.

That's not true. They use the full scale but they are just not reviewing super bad games.

I mean a 1/10 game is some unknown indie from Steam which doesn't even work properly and has no animations or textures. Like what Jim Sterling had in his videos.

A 2/10 game is a little bit better but still hot garbage. Like Life of Black Tiger for example.

Etc, etc. You won't see these scores because nobody plays these games anyway. And I don't think Andromeda is THAT bad that it should have less than 5/10 or 6/10.

That's why in terms of AAA games 6/10 and 7/10 is bad.

Another way to look at is that the 10 point scale is an absolute scale. It's not a quality scale. That's why we assign a quality letter grade to an absolute numerical score in school. The percent right someone got is not as important as our evaluation of what that means.

A = 90-100
B = 80-89
C = 70-79
D = 60-69
F = <60

For most things we don't care how bad things get past a certain point since they are all unacceptable. We are only interesting in differentiating between the top end of the scale where the differences matter. Thus we are grading things that already meet our bare minimal acceptability standard.

Punjicide

The reviews are disappointing, especially given the how well the previous entries reviewed, but reading through them it sounds like I will still enjoy the game, heavily flawed though it may be. That being said, I certainly cannot fault anyone from steering clear of the game, especially with how much else there is to play, either now or just around the corner.

I still need to finish Breath of the Wild, and I'm going to be without my desktop in the coming month, so I'm going to hold off on the playing through the single player, but I'm definitely going to playing some multiplayer matches in the meantime.

Hopefully BioWare will patch what they can, though I highly doubt that the animation weirdness will ever be truly resolved.

Lime

So ehm, from the GB quick look, can you really not skip those Cutscenes when moving from planet to planet? They get old super fast especially when you get them even if you go to a simple asteroid to scan.

Nope, you can't skip those transitions. I hope Bioware or modders introduce a patch that lets you skip them (no, they're not loading screens)

ironcreed

Banned
Some of the reviews mention the exploration is decent, so that's one aspect I'm looking forward to.

I'm one of those weirdos who liked exploring the uncharted worlds from ME1, even though I hated having to fight the damn Mako every time.
I liked the little side stories you could across, like the Geth incursions that ended with a transmission that sent songs to other Geth in the galaxy, or seeing that eerie message EDI sent during the Luna VI mission, or coming across a prothean object that told of the Protheans involvement with ancient humans.

giphy.gif

I sure did a lot of scanning and collecting plants in Horizon and still loved the shit out of it. I know it is also far more polished, but I'm just saying. It had a lot of tedium in it as well.

To be sure, this is a form of bargaining, a desperate bid to see an imperfect game as better than it is. But, let's be frank – given its legacy, in what galaxy were you not going to be disappointed by Mass Effect: Andromeda?

They should have gone to the Sombrero Galaxy. I doubt I would've been disappointed with Mass Effect: Sombrero.

No exploration in a Mass effect title? Oh dear god

inky

That other thread made me read Glixel's review:

It notes that the game starts to improve and that Mass Effect 1 had flaws and formulaic stuff in it too, but admits that this could just be bargaining and the game is a disappointment:

Fucking hell.

Melchiah

The fact that the Reapers were SHIPS is smarter than anything I've seen from Andromeda's writing and is more alien to boot.

You then have Ilos afterwards which is the calm before the storm where the art direction probably peaks along with the music. The world is haunting, which reflects the legacy of the Reapers.

Well, they took a lot from Babylon 5, where Shadows were an ancient race with organic ships, that weed out the weak races every thousand years. Hell, the captain who lead all the races against them was called Sheridan, and the humans had a first contact war against Minbari, like they did in ME against Turians.

Lime

If that GlassDoor testimony thing is true :/

Cons

- Bioware Edmonton and Montreal symbiosis is broken. Lots of conflicts and bro culture.

- Lost over 13 leads (game design, art, audio, prog, senior core leads, etc) in 5 years at Bioware Montreal on Mass Effect. Edmonton lost only 3. It is clear that Edmonton has the bigger part of the stick when it comes to purge Leads and Producers who are not aligned with their leadership style.

- Putting people on performance improvement program (PIP Program) is the new tactics to get rid of people. Once again more than 10 people in Montreal got slammed with this bureaucratic uppercut to let go people that are not bending to Edmonton leadership styles in the last revision cycle. This approach is used by the Montreal Leadership to purge the mess from the lack of vision cause by upper management in the last 4 years (throwing people under the bus to protect bad core management).

- Renaming crunch to Finaling mode. Which means company pays for your lunch but you have only 30 minutes to eat and then getting back on the keyboard. Was lasting for over 2 months and was a real catastrophy.

- Retaliation and harassment is sadly a reality. If you talk and ask questions you will be tag as a trouble maker and end up in a bad position.

- HR won't help you out. They will deny the current harassment from Monreal management by ignoring and not documenting the facts. In other words if you leave don't talk. Just let it go...

- Many benifits got cut due to too much time extension to get the game done.

Unsure what this conflict between Edmonton and Montreal is. And I'm absolutely heartbroken that Mass Effect was the game that had to suffer because of office politics and internal mismanagement (if the above is true).

Other posters here on GAF have also mentioned rumors about development troubles (unconfirmed).

Jarmel

Banned
Well, they took a lot from Babylon 5, where Shadows were an ancient race with organic ships, that weed out the weak races every thousand years. Hell, the captain who lead all the races against them was called Sheridan, and the humans had a first contact war against Minbari, like they did in ME against Turians.

Even before Babylon 5 I think I've read the concept being used somewhere else. I can't remember the book offhand. Yea as I admit it's not exactly a new concept but it is unusual for a videogame, where the enemies generally come in some form of a shootable package.

Not to mention the theme of "humans are no where near the top of the tech tree" in the galaxy.

Even before Babylon 5 I think I've read the concept being used somewhere else. I can't remember the book offhand. Yea as I admit it's not exactly a new concept but it is unusual for a videogame, where the enemies generally come in some form of a shootable package.

Star Trek's whale probe? :p

rashbeep

Banned

I liked them too, and they would've been amazing if the budget was there. I wish we were shown those stories through gameplay/cutscenes instead of having to read about them in text boxes.

Punjicide

If that GlassDoor testimony thing is true :/

Unsure what this conflict between Edmonton and Montreal is. And I'm absolutely heartbroken that Mass Effect was the game that had to suffer because of office politics and internal mismanagement (if the above is true).

Other posters here on GAF have also mentioned rumors about development troubles (unconfirmed).
Holy shit. If this is true, then that's absolutely horrible, and explains quite a bit.

I'm not surprised by these scores, especially after seeing the early impressions. This game has never really seemed like it was making a great case for itself. The RPS quote in the OP is a perfect summation of how I've always felt about it.

And personally, I've never liked the idea of a new galaxy and a focus on uncharted worlds. The lived-in universe with a rich history was one of my favorite aspects of the original games, and the shift away from ME1's planet exploration was a decision that I applauded.

I'll definitely play it at some point and I'm sure I'll find plenty of things to like about it. The combat seems neat. But it's real low on my priority list right now.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I still remember when I fell in love with Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube, playing the demo at a kiosk in a supermarket all those years ago. That was one of 2 reasons that led me to buy that console. Absolutely adored the game and had a blast playing it!

It was only much later that I found out it was a mere 78 on Metacritic, which all the way back then meant it was not very good at all.

All of this to say: still not cancelling my pre-order. Will try to enjoy it for what it is and hopefully like it despite all the commotion.

Just genuinely confused as to how they thought stuff like timers and scanning would bring in anyone. Like others have said, it does seem like this game was developed in a dimension where time didn't pass and games didn't grow at all. In a world with Horizon, W3, Zelda, etc., that shit doesn't fly anymore.

I'm guessing the timers are in there as a hook for the mobile app. If you can do something useful while on a phone when a timer goes off, that let's you have meaningful input to the game without playing it.

Strike Team mission can either be played directly for extra rewards in the full Andromeda game, or players can deploy a team to do it remotely. Apex HQ will let players do the latter from their phone, customizing their teams for the best situation, and picking up the in-game rewards when return to the console.
https://www.slashgear.com/mass-effect-andromeda-companion-app-debuts-for-ios-android-18479012/

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
da2ot-04.gif

Yeah I'm sure gifs are great way to judge how good Bioware combat is going to be.
Lol what? This is a shooter not a hack and slash, horrible comparison and a really transparent attempt to downplay the most praised aspect of the game.

AHA-Lambda

I'm actually wondering how negative the impact of the DAI style quests is.

Could you just ignore all the fetch quest/scanning stuff etc and focus on the main quest? Or will you find yourself on the back foot by not doing it/unable to progress?

ironcreed

Banned
da2ot-04.gif

Yeah I'm sure gifs are great way to judge how good Bioware combat is going to be.

That is not even actual gameplay in the Dragon Age II gif. The ones for Andromeda are and we have plenty of people talking about how improved it is, if you bother to even look.

The press rewards linearity, polish and flashy presentation.

I'm gonna give my "unpopular gaming opinion" and say that a few more games could benefit from linearity polish and flashy presentation.

I'm probably in the minority of GAF to think this, but I feel like linearity isn't the gaming sin its made out to be &#8212; and a lot of games would actually be better experiences if they had more scripted/choreographed direction than the weaker open worlds we have in a lot of games now.

Top Bottom