• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Signups Open & Opening Movie Released

chrono01

Umm no,I said I wanted to play the beta on PC and entered the PS3 code from FFXIII game and it worked...

From what I've read, the code is valid to give you a better chance of getting accepted into the PS3 beta, but can still be used in conjuction for the PC beta although it won't increase your odds of being picked.

At least, that's my understanding.

Ricker

From what I've read, the code is valid to give you a better chance of getting accepted into the PS3 beta, but can still be used in conjuction for the PC beta although it won't increase your odds of being picked.

At least, that's my understanding.

Ah ok,could be,I dont care though I have a PS3 also so if I get the beta for PS3 I will try that also...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Signed up for PS3 Beta

Had my FFXIII copy and code, Hooray Priority (hopefully) >.>;

Hellix

So, I assuming SE will still be using a subscription-based model? With all the F2P MMOs out there, it is hard to jump in on this, but I will try the beta if I get in. FFXI was the last MMO I truly enjoyed though.

Arksy

The footage released so far was from the Alpha test and nothing more. The main purpose was to stress the servers with as many characters as possible. The battle system and quest system were bare bones on purpose. I don't understand why this so hard for some people to understand. InB4 "hurr that's what they said about 1.0."

My experience has been that the battle systems don't usually change at all, let alone drastically change, between builds close to release and the release client. There's no reason why that can't be the case here, it's just that it's not common. I hope the battle system is far more fast paced and tactical than shown, but I don't really hold out my breath.

Lucent

Signed up for PS3 beta. My laptop could never handle this.

Unfortunately my copy of FFXIII didn't come with one of those codes so I'm just gonna have to hope I get selected somewhat early.

My experience has been that the battle systems don't usually change at all, let alone drastically change, between builds close to release and the release client. There's no reason why that can't be the case here, it's just that it's not common. I hope the battle system is far more fast paced and tactical than shown, but I don't really hold out my breath.

If they hadn't specifically said that the battle system was incomplete when alpha test began (no limit break or multi-character combo system, unfinished/missing animations, etc.) I would be more concerned.. but I'm not worried considering the improvements that were made to the 1.x battle system before the end.

It was also noted that things like positioning were not considered in the alpha version combat system but would be in beta and release. (and there were no tank classes available in alpha.. so your typical party dungeon situation wasn't even covered)

Arksy

If they hadn't specifically said that the battle system was incomplete when alpha test began (no limit break or multi-character combo system, unfinished/missing animations, etc.) I would be more concerned.. but I'm not worried considering the improvements that were made to the 1.x battle system before the end.

It was also noted that things like positioning were not considered in the alpha version combat system but would be in beta and release. (and there were no tank classes available in alpha.. so your typical party dungeon situation wasn't even covered)

That gives me hope. Thanks!

With all the things that they ignored with version 1.0, they actually did change the battle system from alpha to beta and again after release. I remembered in that alpha, gameplay was more FF traditional where each action was subject to the characters entire ATB gauge. In the beta the ATB gauge was segmented with each action requiring a certain amount of the gauge to be executed while it filled up (somewhat similar to FFXIII). After a while though, standard attacks became automated while abilities required MP or TP and were subject to cool down unless influenced by combos.

That being said, it's very possible that the battle system can change. And for what it's worth, watching an MMO battle is completely different than participating in one.

Pachinko

I remain interested in this. Seeing the beta pipeline drawn out gives me much more hope for a good final product than the last time. As I recall, in 2010, the alpha went up for about 3 months , then disapeared for a few weeks, and a small beta started that allowed people to play the game for 2 hours here and there every 3rd day or so. Normally a beta starts what, at least 6 months before a product launches but in FFXIV's case it started only around 10 weeks before a hard launch date, the last 3 of which had NO beta test.

This time looks quite a bit different, the alpha has been going on for 3 months non stop and there looks to be another 5-6 weeks of bug fixing before the first beta period commences. Writing 2-4 weeks in that chart reads to me as "hopefully things go smoothly and it's done in 10 days but if not it could take 20 or 25 days". Then 2 weeks to fix whatever problems were found and they are doing this 3 more times before launch.

Add all of that up , couple with 3 months of alpha and it's looking like realm reborn on PC at least will receive twice as much beta testing and alpha testing as the original version did. That's assuming things go smoothly too. Sure the minimum is 4 months , pegging launch somewhere around June but each testing and bug fixing phase could take twice that amount of time. 8 months in other words. That puts us as late as an october launch , while I don't know how serious they are about fixing everything 100% but who knows right?

EDarkness

It was for players who paid for 3 months between January-September 2012. We get a discount ($9.99 a month for life), an exclusive chocobo and our name in the credits.

Edit: Beaten. Twice.

The sad thing about this is that I have played all of 20 minutes of the game, and yet I'm part of this group. Heh, looking forward to trying out the beta.

Toth

The sad thing about this is that I have played all of 20 minutes of the game, and yet I'm part of this group. Heh, looking forward to trying out the beta.

Well you did pay over 45 bucks in monthly fees plus the cost of the original game. You earned it :D

Who would have thought that code from 3 years ago would actually prove useful. Glad I kept mine.

Also glad I got in on Legacy at the last minute.

Arksy

I heard there were new servers coming without any possibility of migration, basically to give the game a new start (without those pesky legacy players manipulating things with their trillions of gil). I'm planning to roll on one of these servers, will I lose my gobbue mount?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Curious if Yoshida has commented on whether he'd direct an offline FF after this.

If this reboot is successful, he'll probably be occupied by this game for the next few years and be unable to direct any (large) games.

I think Tanaka was attached to FFXI the whole time until FFXIV.

duckroll

Curious if Yoshida has commented on whether he'd direct an offline FF after this.

I don't think he's thinking much about "after this" at all right now. He's probably more concerned with making sure it launches right, and how to keep the game going after launch. He's not just the director, but also the producer of FFXIV now, so he'll be attached to this project for the long haul. I doubt he'll have much time to work on anything else in the next 2-3 years at the very least. If FFXIV turns out to be successful, make that 5-8 years. Lol.

Lebron

The footage released so far was from the Alpha test and nothing more. The main purpose was to stress the servers with as many characters as possible. The battle system and quest system were bare bones on purpose. I don't understand why this so hard for some people to understand. InB4 "hurr that's what they said about 1.0."
I don't care

Sophia

I don't care

First you say the gameplay "looks like balls.", yet you don't care that the only footage you've seen so far was very early footage? Guaranteed to change? Isn't that just like saying you never cared in the first place?

Why don't you just wait for it to get better if you don't like what you see now?

Tesseract

Banned
squaresoft, is that you?

jQps9.gif

Stark

Banned
If this reboot is successful, he'll probably be occupied by this game for the next few years and be unable to direct any (large) games.

I think Tanaka was attached to FFXI the whole time until FFXIV.

I don't think he's thinking much about "after this" at all right now. He's probably more concerned with making sure it launches right, and how to keep the game going after launch. He's not just the director, but also the producer of FFXIV now, so he'll be attached to this project for the long haul. I doubt he'll have much time to work on anything else in the next 2-3 years at the very least. If FFXIV turns out to be successful, make that 5-8 years. Lol.

Yeah, I forgot he was producer, as well. :( Well, if ARR turns out to be a success, then at least he seems like a great candidate late in the next generation or after. :p

ebil

I heard there were new servers coming without any possibility of migration, basically to give the game a new start (without those pesky legacy players manipulating things with their trillions of gil). I'm planning to roll on one of these servers, will I lose my gobbue mount?
Your Goobbue mount is tied to your character, not to your account, so yes unfortunately.

Arksy

Thanks! Yeah I won't be terribly sad to see my R50 character with goobbue go, I'd much rather a vibrant young server.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Same servers and you will be able to play with your same character on either. You will have to buy each version separate though.

I would think that getting the PS3 version will let you play the PC one though. You just need to get a copy of the client and then play through your account.

Darryl

Banned

i've heard nothing of exclusive servers for excluding legacy players without migration and i doubt they'll exist at all. the legacy players will not have that much of an impact, especially after they reduced the gil by 90%. if they do scaling gil sinks, which i think are already confirmed, much of the gil is going to be drained in the first month of gameplay as it is.

Xux

i've heard nothing of exclusive servers for excluding legacy players without migration and i doubt they'll exist at all. the legacy players will not have that much of an impact, especially after they reduced the gil by 90%. if they do scaling gil sinks, which i think are already confirmed, much of the gil is going to be drained in the first month of gameplay as it is.
I dunno where Arksy got the legacy part from but they've mentioned having servers that you can only create new characters on and existing ones can't be transferred to for awhile. It was in this post by a Japanese forum rep:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=566567&viewfull=1#post566567

I would think that getting the PS3 version will let you play the PC one though. You just need to get a copy of the client and then play through your account.

Yes you can play with your account and character on both but you still need to buy the PC (if you don't own it already) and the PS3 version separate if you want to play on both. They're not doing a cross-buy thing with any of them.

To add to what IonicSnake said I think you need the actual registration keys of both versions tied to your account to be able to log into either version. I could be wrong, as that's the opposite of how FFXI worked but I think that it was mentioned in an interview with Yoshi-P at some point that you would have to buy both versions if you wanted to play on both. It kind of sucks, but at least the PC version is only $30 and the PS3 version $40.

Arksy

I dunno where Arksy got the legacy part from but they've mentioned having servers that you can only create new characters on and existing ones can't be transferred to for awhile. It was in this post by a Japanese forum rep:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=566567&viewfull=1#post566567

I didn't know they took everyone's gil away. I just assumed that the legacy/old players would use their masses of gil to manipulate the economy to ridiculous ends.

Sorry I didn't mean they were excluding legacy players (I used legacy to mean old), just legacy characters.

Darryl

Banned
I didn't know they took everyone's gil away. I just assumed that the legacy/old players would use their masses of gil to manipulate the economy to ridiculous ends.

Sorry I didn't mean they were excluding legacy players (I used legacy to mean old), just legacy characters.

they reduced everyones gil by 90%. if you had 20M gil, you'll have 2M. most players will probably spend that within the first month of the game buying housing or some bull shit. they did this under the promise that the gil will retain a higher value in 2.0, and it probably will, although how much is yet to be seen and i personally don't believe the value will be much higher if at all.

i personally spent all of my gil before the game went down on dream items. i bought like 300 of them, hoping they'll be retired forever.

Top Bottom