• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC 2 |OT| Let's all play touch butt

Jerm411

Khabib is a bitch to fight, holy hell...dude took everything I had and still kept coming. Ridiculous on the ground too...

I thought I' be the first guy online to try and keep my opponent in the crucifix and GnP. First match I try it, guy has the same idea. Gets me on the ground, goes from side control to crucifix, and hammerfists me to hell. I couldn't get out of it cause he was blocking my transitions. Just when you think you have it all figured out...

ron_bato

I went 8-6 yesterday in ranked championships. I'm nowhere near ready for legit competition, but I found that the AI was too easy to deal with even on the highest difficulty, so I said fuck it and just went ahead and competed online. Ran into one dude who was legit good, had good pressure, good grappling, and eventually I got dusted with a submission in less than 2 minutes lol.

Even though I won some and lost some it was fun, but found that the game settled into a pattern for most of the fights.

I think no one should be able to throw consecutive flying knees, or superman punches, and that the penalty for spamming is way too low.

Overall, it was good times. I'd say a good 60 percent of my games were lag free, while the others had massive stuttering and what I would call borderline unplayable. I don't know if it's something on my end, or poor matchmaking, but I hope this is improved.

Lucifon

It's a shame the live event rewards don't stack :( only getting a single move rather than the other packs for getting 3200 pick score is abit disappointing.

So when someone has you in the clinch, and they're throwing those little bullshit punches or knees to stop you from being able to transition, is there no way to block those? I still can't tell if i'm blocking them. I think no...even if they have zero stamina they can still do that to stop you...unless i'm missing something. I'm still having mostly fun but i'm finding annoying things about the game the more I play.

N° 2048

So when someone has you in the clinch, and they're throwing those little bullshit punches or knees to stop you from being able to transition, is there no way to block those? I still can't tell if i'm blocking them. I think no...even if they have zero stamina they can still do that to stop you...unless i'm missing something. I'm still having mostly fun but i'm finding annoying things about the game the more I play.

Thai clinch use R2 (ps4) to block knees to head. R1 for punches to head.

Thai clinch use R2 (ps4) to block knees to head. R1 for punches to head.

No...not that. Like in single collar you can punch or knee..they're annoying little punches or knees that stop you from transitioning. As far as I know, you can't block them. I guess if they're out of stamina, and you time it right, you could do your transition. It's really annoying. I don't mind it being used but when someone literally has zero stamina, and I can't do anything about it, then it needs to be fixed. Unless i'm missing something.

newsguy

For those who bought this game at Best Buy, make sure you call them and request the difference. the game is on sale for $39.99 this week and BB will give you your $20 back.

Stiler

I think I'm about done with ranked online for now.

Up to division 4 and it's NOTHING but cheap ass spammers and exploiters.

People that literally body/head punch spam you in .2 seconds with people like Benson Henderson or people that thai clinch you (and I used to think I was good at defending it in division 3) but now people are using feints and head/body strikes and it's virtually impossible to guess/block which they will do to get out.

I've also grown to see just how absurd parries are, giving people a free chance to do a spinning head kick or spam superman punches (which they can land two of if the first wobbles you).

This game seriously needed more work done, they should have found all of these cheap things before it was released and fine tuned it more.

Don't even get me started on Jon Jones, if you play in LH/H you either pick him or hop to god you don't get hit, he's just as broken as the last game and I understand he's a great fighter but he has like NO weaknesses in the game. Great offense, great defense, super-long reach, one-two hits likely rock you.

The stamina system needs major work too. How does it make sense when you're in the later rounds and the fighters have little stamina that people like jones can throw a normal punch and look like they are about to fall over from exhaustion and then they turn around and do a jumping spin kick for a ko? You should not be able to do those when low on stamina/winded.

Hell one match I was playing against Jones with Bas Rutten. I thought I'd be smart and do like Ali did vs Foreman in their famous fight, play it defensively and get it to the 5th round and converse my stamina.

WE get to the fifth round and somehow he has the SAME amount of stamina as I do. He wins be a decision since I can't seem to even rock him.

Post game it shows he threw over SIX HUNDRED STRIKES and I threw 140'ish. Now tell me, how the heck that makes ANY SENSE?

I wish I could just go back to division 2 or so, people in there played much more realistically and didn't use the cheap techniques and exploit things.

ron_bato

People that literally body/head punch spam you in .2 seconds with people like Benson Henderson or people that thai clinch you (and I used to think I was good at defending it in division 3) but now people are using feints and head/body strikes and it's virtually impossible to guess/block which they will do to get out.

I've also grown to see just how absurd parries are, giving people a free chance to do a spinning head kick or spam superman punches (which they can land two of if the first wobbles you).

This game seriously needed more work done, they should have found all of these cheap things before it was released and fine tuned it more.

Don't even get me started on Jon Jones, if you play in LH/H you either pick him or hop to god you don't get hit, he's just as broken as the last game and I understand he's a great fighter but he has like NO weaknesses in the game. Great offense, great defense, super-long reach, one-two hits likely rock you.

The stamina system needs major work too. How does it make sense when you're in the later rounds and the fighters have little stamina that people like jones can throw a normal punch and look like they are about to fall over from exhaustion and then they turn around and do a jumping spin kick for a ko? You should not be able to do those when low on stamina/winded.

Hell one match I was playing against Jones with Bas Rutten. I thought I'd be smart and do like Ali did vs Foreman in their famous fight, play it defensively and get it to the 5th round and converse my stamina.

WE get to the fifth round and somehow he has the SAME amount of stamina as I do. He wins be a decision since I can't seem to even rock him.

Post game it shows he threw over SIX HUNDRED STRIKES and I threw 140'ish. Now tell me, how the heck that makes ANY SENSE?

I wish I could just go back to division 2 or so, people in there played much more realistically and didn't use the cheap techniques and exploit things.

This is my experience with ranked as well, right now, it's a lot better than playing against the CPU because fighting the CPU is too easy, but I'd rather play against guys who play realistically.

My record isn't too bad, but in order to win you'll have to resort to bs tactics, which as a sim gamer, I'm more or less against (unless I really want to beat the guy lol).

Also the lag kills me, which makes grappling not viable for me.

Anyway if anybody wants to play a somewhat realistic game, just add me: ron_bato.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
the ultimate team online thing is really dope. but the team aspect seems superfluous. i almost didn't even check it out because of that.

Attem

If anybody plays on Xbox and wants to play somebody who doesnt play in a cheap manner just to win ! Add me "Blazeda buddha". And lets play some !

Nameless

Grabbed UFC 2 for $10 bucks after trading in The Division and I'm pleasantly surprised so far. IMO they succeeded in bringing a Fight Night quality experience to MMA, while fixing two of my biggest gripes from FN, namely the way career mode felt like a chore between matches and the lacking rosters. The game also seems up to the task of replicating the range, variety, and the 'styles make fights' strategic nature of the sport in ways that are really satisfying. To the point I can even enjoy getting wrestled fucked into oblivion and trying to crack those cookies.

The learning curve is a bit steep but doesn't stop you from having fun while getting used to the more advanced mechanics. Haven't jumped online yet, but that's not really what I'm looking for.

N° 2048

hLDCbNA.jpg

Started doing Ultimate Team last week. It's fun. I think I only have 1 fighter in division 2. Everyone else is in 1. I'm sure the fights will get better but most people in 1 have no idea what to do on the ground. They just spam spin attacks and/or body shots. I take them down, get mount, and KO them.

So is anyone still playing this? It's a fun game that does have flaws that need to be patched. I LOVE mma though so i'll be playing this for a long time.

VoxPop

I'm waiting for DLC fighters! (Tom Breese, Nordine Taleb & Pat Cote)

Meh. Not really fighters I want in the game aside from maybe Cote. But then again there aren't many fighters left to add aside from legends.

Random rant:

This game gets pretty infuriating at times. Everyone is all about clinch cheese and laying on you blocking transitions while spamming alternating body/head shots. Even though I've learned to counter these things, its all people do online. Every single game you get some idiot constantly trying to clinch you only to get KO'd.

Wish I could just enjoy the game and have fun/realistic fights. If the fight ever hits the ground and they seem severely outmatched, I usually just let them back up so they have a shot at enjoying the game. Why do people even play the game when all they do is try and exploit shit? Like its come to the point where I don't even throw a volley of signature strikes just so I can keep it realistic and land it on that one clean shot. They really need to balance the stamina and damage from all these spinning/flying attacks so you can only throw it a few times and really damage them with it. Also remove it from everyone's repertoire except the fighters who actually use it. Why the hell does everybody have head kicks, superman punches and these flying cage attacks?

Also guys like Hunt and Diaz should have insane stats on their chin and whatnot. Cerrone and Matt Brown should have real shitty body health. Etc etc. It's just not realistic at all for the sake of having some arcadey bullshit for the casuals. But then again, they're the ones who buy it. At least put in an option to make it more of a sim.

I just found out that leg kick TKOs exist now as well. Been using a lot of Jose Aldo for the laughs. If anyone wants to just have some fun and slightly more realistic fights, hit me up on PSN: mwlgd

mujun

Meh. Not really fighters I want in the game aside from maybe Cote. But then again there aren't many fighters left to add aside from legends.

Random rant:

This game gets pretty infuriating at times. Everyone is all about clinch cheese and laying on you blocking transitions while spamming alternating body/head shots. Even though I've learned to counter these things, its all people do online. Every single game you get some idiot constantly trying to clinch you only to get KO'd.

Wish I could just enjoy the game and have fun/realistic fights. If the fight ever hits the ground and they seem severely outmatched, I usually just let them back up so they have a shot at enjoying the game. Why do people even play the game when all they do is try and exploit shit? Like its come to the point where I don't even throw a volley of signature strikes just so I can keep it realistic and land it on that one clean shot. They really need to balance the stamina and damage from all these spinning/flying attacks so you can only throw it a few times and really damage them with it. Also remove it from everyone's repertoire except the fighters who actually use it. Why the hell does everybody have head kicks, superman punches and these flying cage attacks?

Also guys like Hunt and Diaz should have insane stats on their chin and whatnot. Cerrone and Matt Brown should have real shitty body health. Etc etc. It's just not realistic at all for the sake of having some arcadey bullshit for the casuals. But then again, they're the ones who buy it. At least put in an option to make it more of a sim.

I just found out that leg kick TKOs exist now as well. Been using a lot of Jose Aldo for the laughs. If anyone wants to just have some fun and slightly more realistic fights, hit me up on PSN: mwlgd

I've just started playing this.

I think that you shouldn't get so penalized for escaping grappling/wrestling. You get out of it (which can be a struggle in of itself) and you are out of stamina making it hard to keep your opponent off you or to punish them on the break.

It seems that you can't stuff a clinch or takedown attempt straight after striking. If they duck under a punch then sure they should automatically take you down but if you complete the strike animation then you should instantly be able to stuff if you ask me. The skill should be in reading whether it's a high stuff (clinch) or low one (takedown).

There is a lot of ground stuff missing it seems. Most people don't have submissions from places like side control or half guard which seems crazy. Am I missing something? No deep half, leg locks, etc. Again, am I missing something?

bud

is it possible to play a string of online games against a buddy without having to go back to the lobby and reinvite them after each game is over?

Yaari

is it possible to play a string of online games against a buddy without having to go back to the lobby and reinvite them after each game is over?

Yeah, that mode is called "Online Rivalries". You can play against the same person multiple times there.

I've played over 150 matches ranked matches online and I just now realized how to do a takedown properly. I was letting go of the right stick too quick which makes them stop doing it. I didn't know it had to be held down all the way. I couldn't believe why I had so many failed takedown attempts lol. Had to resort to getting takedowns from the clinch. God, do I feel stupid.

mujun

I've played over 150 matches ranked matches online and I just now realized how to do a takedown properly. I was letting go of the right stick too quick which makes them stop doing it. I didn't know it had to be held down all the way. I couldn't believe why I had so many failed takedown attempts lol. Had to resort to getting takedowns from the clinch. God, do I feel stupid.

Haha, nice one :)

Same with reversals.

Man I wish reversals were easier though. I can rarely hit the reversal quick enough if they go right after they've been striking or I've been striking.

Haven't played much since I got the platinum but last night summed up everything wrong with the game for me. Playing UT, fighting online and I kept using my combos, leg kicks, body punch, head kick/uppercut. This guy just kept trying big spinning kicks and I blocked or parried most. Into the 3rd round of the same thing, I must have hit him with nearly 200 shots by now (After fight said 188 strikes) His body is still barely red, I'm throwing in volume too. I go for and spinning body kick, he went for a scissors kick, body kick hit but didn't affect his animation, my guy gets back to his stance. Boom. KO'd. This guy landed 43 strikes the whole fight I landed nearly 200 but because they weren't flashy power shots they did fuck all. /rant

dreamfall

So is anyone still playing this? It's a fun game that does have flaws that need to be patched. I LOVE mma though so i'll be playing this for a long time.

Definitely going to try to get back on juke, took a hiatus away from playing anything online in awhile. I'll probably be rusty as hell when jumping back in, but I'll try to get on soon!

Definitely going to try to get back on juke, took a hiatus away from playing anything online in awhile. I'll probably be rusty as hell when jumping back in, but I'll try to get on soon!

Yes. for sure we need to get some more matches in soon.

They need to have huge stamina penalties for people that spam the spinning shit all the time. I was Eddie Alvarez playing against Edson Barboza. 90% of the guys offense was spinning kick to the body or a spinning kick to the head. He dropped me twice in the first and once in the second. I destroyed him the third round. I stayed just outside of his range and once the animation finished on whatever spin he did I head kicked him. Throughout the entire fight I hit him with probably about 30 head kicks and I only stunned him once. I got dropped 3 times from someone spamming spin attacks. He ended up taking a decision.

Stamina just needs to play a bigger role period. I've had people with zero stamina hit me with the muay thai clinch knee or elbow and it's knocked me out. Or being able to still transition quicker with no stamina versus someone with near full stamina. Maybe this ones just me, but it's too easy to get out of submissions imo. I rocked a guy as Ben Rotwell, he was Stipe Miocic, and he did a desperation takedown...he had literally zero stamina and I did one of those takedown/submission reversals into a guillotine choke. I thought for sure he was done but he easily got out. I remember in the Undisputed 3 if you let your stamina go all the way down, you were more than likely getting submitted.

The servers need to be fixed too. I'm 102-66 in ranked and about 10 of those losses are from me being disconnected from the server. Very annoying. I also have at least one match every time with crippling lag.

I've actually been getting some good fights in non ranked matches. I think people are more playing for fun and not trying to cheese too much, as with ranked, where most people's mentalities are to win at any cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSSwAh4sXg

The way this guy plays is everything wrong with this game. How can someone get enjoyment out of playing like that? LOL. After the match, I looked up his record and he had a winning record. You should not be rewarded for playing in the most unrealistic way possible. When I stopped his 1, 2 body spam he then went side kick to the body/ spin to win on me. When they do that I usually hang back a lot and look for counters but I was annoyed and just wanted to get this guy out of there. The amount of damage Jones can take in this game is crazy.

Wigdogger

The way this guy plays is everything wrong with this game. How can someone get enjoyment out of playing like that? LOL. After the match, I looked up his record and he had a winning record. You should not be rewarded for playing in the most unrealistic way possible. When I stopped his 1, 2 body spam he then went side kick to the body/ spin to win on me. When they do that I usually hang back a lot and look for counters but I was annoyed and just wanted to get this guy out of there. The amount of damage Jones can take in this game is crazy.

Nice video. A systematic beatdown of annoying Jones player.

ron_bato

Great well timed takedown, with his stamina level being depleted, he had no chance of escaping.

But yeah, I'm at division 4 right now, and most people tend to play this way. It's annoying, and the game definitely needs to get patched to eliminate the incentive to playing this way.

Wait for the patch before moving on in this game. They did a great job in adjusting the last game they did with patches and I'm sure they'll do the same with this years game.

New patch is out. Here are the details. If I can pull myself away from Dark Souls III long enough, i'll check it out.

Updated Attribute/Perks/Movesets for various fighters
AI logic, submission and game plan tuning
Reduced damage on consecutive uppercut combos
When two opposing strikes land in quick succession, the 1st will take power off the 2nd
New strike intercept framework. #stoppingpower #longlivethejab #shutdownspinning**** #timingiseverything
Swaying away from the opponent will put the fighter at risk for higher body damage
If a parry is mistimed, block will no longer be activated automatically
And to maintain balance, submissions from bottom guard have been made a little harder to pull off as well
Made passing guard from postured down position more difficult
Increased grapple advantage given to bottom fighter while top fighter strikes in side control
The bottom fighter’s transition to side control from back side will no longer be interrupted by strikes
Bottom fighter is now given grapple advantage after escaping finish the fight into back side control
In sprawl, the bottom fighter will now slowly accumulate grapple advantage
Elbows and punches in Muay Thai clinch will no longer interrupt transition attempts
Fixed a bug where early or pre-emptive standing TD denials didn't punish stamina on the fighter who was denied
Getting your clinch attempt denied will now incur a much larger stamina penalty
Clinch attempts will be reduced in speed, making them easier to deny
Diaz Brothers now have the Stockton Slap.
Plus AI improvements.

Afrikan

"Updated Attribute/Perks/Movesets for various fighters"

Does Rampage have an over hand right? or strong right punch instead of just a fucking elbow?

edit- anyway, just like the last EA Game... as much as I complain about it, I do love playing it... very addicted and 3-4 hours can fly by with me just playing unranked online matches.

when is Gaf going to have a Tourny.?

VoxPop

Clinch is still easily spammable which is a shame. Also seems to do a lot more damage than before.

There seems to be huge penalties in stamina now with my usual body shots into uppercut combo. I'm gassing a lot quicker now which is a shame as I like to throw volume and gas my opponent.

Stockton slap is awesome. Taunt then right hook right away in case you wanted to know.

Striking intercept doesnt work as well as I thought but its there.

I love the anti parry spamming.

Top Bottom