• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

Number45

Can anyone beat this. :)

ya3Jx.jpg
You work for Sony, don't you? :p

Number45

I've gotten an error when I try and submit data too quickly after it obviously has automatically done it, but other than that it's fine for me.

No one has been getting errors lately? Hasn't been working since last night

Same here. Every time I try and update the Uncharted black market I get an error. It pisses me off so fucking much I can't stand it. It's bad enough that Bend put all these bullshit bounties in the game to begin with, and even worse that I can only update Near once an hour to find them. But then when I do update I get an error, yet still can't update for another hour?

FUCK

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Same here. Every time I try and update the Uncharted black market I get an error. It pisses me off so fucking much I can't stand it. It's bad enough that Bend put all these bullshit bounties in the game to begin with, and even worse that I can only update Near once an hour to find them. But then when I do update I get an error, yet still can't update for another hour?

FUCK

I just restored my Vita and now it worked I think. I shouldn't have to do that.

Gav47

near was able to pick up location data on my WiFi Vita no problem. Yep, New Haven, Connecticut hell of a place.
I live in Ireland

BurningNad

I wonder if there is a way to connect the Wi-Fi Vita to my android phone to give it a connection anywhere for the purpose of near. Hmmm.

Oppo

I gotta say, I am picking up a lot of people on near. More than I would have expected. And I haven't even taken the Vita out of the house yet.

I find the app to be on the confusing side, so toylike, but that's also what makes it sort of fascinating. Seeing neighbourhood Top 10 games and Buzz ratings and stuff like that is really interesting.

Ran rp

Brought my Vita out into the wild for the first time and I think I'm understanding this Near thing a little more now.

Question: Who is "Big D"? I don't watch The Tester.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Does this delete any of my game saves/stuff on my memory card, or just the internal system files and settings?

Just internal stuff, but I removed my memory card just in case.

Oh, and sync your trophies before you do it. If you don't sync, you'll lose any unsync'd trophies

I tried two days ago, didn't work with me. Bad luck I guess. :/

You did the full restore from the system recovery menu? Because I just did that and it worked. It was annoying to watch the into video again, but at least I'm racking up dem game goods again.

People have been having problems on a few of the other forums I frequent too, this seems to be a fairly widespread issue. Geez Sony, couldn't iron out the bugs even with the Japanese beta test. smh

patsu

I just restored my Vita and now it worked I think. I shouldn't have to do that.

Exactly !

Sony should address the freezing problem to prevent more data corruption. >8^/

Then patch in better multitasking support next.

The other thousand and one enhancement requests... they can polish and add over time.
I have a long request list myself.

Does the 3G Vita use the built-in GPS for Near even while on WiFi? If so then I already have buyer's remorse. I'll never want/need the 3G data plan, but the GPS alone would be worth the extra $20 (adjusted for 8gb memory card bundle).

I wish I had known the WiFi model didn't have built-in GPS...

Pachimari

You did the full restore from the system recovery menu? Because I just did that and it worked. It was annoying to watch the into video again, but at least I'm racking up dem game goods again.

People have been having problems on a few of the other forums I frequent too, this seems to be a fairly widespread issue. Geez Sony, couldn't iron out the bugs even with the Japanese beta test. smh

Yea, more than once. Still didn't work.

patsu

Does the 3G Vita use the built-in GPS for Near even while on WiFi? If so then I already have buyer's remorse. I'll never want/need the 3G data plan, but the GPS alone would be worth the extra $20 (adjusted for 8gb memory card bundle).

I wish I had known the WiFi model didn't have built-in GPS...

Yes, 3G Vita uses a combination of GPS and Skyhook (if available) to determine your location. It doesn't matter if you're connected on WiFi or not.

kodt

Banned
I have a WiFi Vita and it nailed my location down to within 20 feet I would say. By checking Google Maps the dot was right on.

This was on a private Wi-Fi network at home, how can it be so accurate?

edit: perhaps it reads your billing info from PSN store?

fake edit2: it also accurately found the street and block of a friend's place when I brought my Vita there.

kodt

Banned
May be you live close to a public/known WiFi access point ?

I guess, but how would it know I am close to that WiFi network if I didn't connect to it?

It is a residential street so the closest public WiFi should be blocks away.

rbanke

I've been using near for a few days, but still can't figure out a few things.

-I've updated at my house and also brought it across town (about 10 miles away) and i'm still seeing the same exact 9 people in my radar (unfortunately NONE of them are playing uncharted so I've seen a big fat ZERO black market items). I would have thought going outside my home radius and checking would have at least found different people or even no people, not the same people.

-What is the point of the list of games in the Out-and-About list if they all take you to the same radar?

-Is there a way to see which people have game goods without having to open each one individually?

-whats the expiration mean specifically? I'm guessing it means if I don't download it before that date it will disappear, but the ones I've downloaded still say it will expire.

near could be really awesome if they make it a bit clearer as to what everything means. Even the help is mostly cryptic.

patsu

-I've updated at my house and also brought it across town (about 10 miles away) and i'm still seeing the same exact 9 people in my radar (unfortunately NONE of them are playing uncharted so I've seen a big fat ZERO black market items). I would have thought going outside my home radius and checking would have at least found different people or even no people, not the same people.

You have a WiFi Vita ?

-What is the point of the list of games in the Out-and-About list if they all take you to the same radar?

If you have more than one locations, the game activities (e.g., Popularity Surge !) may take you to different radars.

-Is there a way to see which people have game goods without having to open each one individually?

Yes, go to Discoveries. You should see a list of gifts if they are there.

You can also see a list of players encountered if you did pass them.

-whats the expiration mean specifically? I'm guessing it means if I don't download it before that date it will disappear, but the ones I've downloaded still say it will expire.

I haven't tried but may be it means you have to use them in-game before the gifts expire ? Not just download them.

near could be really awesome if they make it a bit clearer as to what everything means. Even the help is mostly cryptic.

I agree ! They should also simplify it more.

Toki767

Unless you set near to update automatically, you have to manually update when you reach a new location.

Out-and-About shares different statistics based on the time you updated.

No way that I know of to see which people have game goods.

Expiration means they'll go away after that amount of days, even if you redeem it.

patsu

Unless you set near to update automatically, you have to manually update when you reach a new location.

Out-and-About shares different statistics based on the time you updated.

No way that I know of to see which people have game goods.

Expiration means they'll go away after that amount of days, even if you redeem it.

Most rewarding or "promiscuous" setting is auto-update + share online id.

He can see the entire list of gifts in Discoveries. From there he can find out who/which games own them.

rbanke

@ patsu & Toki767

Thanks, that clears some things up. I have the WiFi only model (should have specified that), I also have all the automatic things turned on, but haven't taken my Vita out of the house except the one time so the radar explanation makes sense.

Raonak

Banned
Near is still working perfectly for me. Went to work came back, sync'd up. said i traveled 2kms and gave me 3 game gifts :D

10 people within a 3km radius now. And one of the less than a 1km away :O

Oni Jazar

So if I get the "An error has occurred" with near I have to "Restore Settings" or "Restore the PS Vita System"?

Nevermind gah I hate this.

Deadstar

Near gifts expire even if you redeem them? If so...what's the point? So far I've only redeemed a near cue for Hustle Kings.

rbanke

Hmm... then I expect Skyhook to work reasonably ok for you.

It works, I think there isn't a ton of people near me who have Vita's. The radius from my house is 3 miles. The town I live in is about 45k people over about 30 square miles. It was just odd that the player avatars on the radar didn't change when I updated the location from somewhere outside my normal area (connected to wifi at this other location too). It was only the one time, so I'll have to check a bit more.

patsu

So if I get the "An error has occurred" with near I have to "Restore Settings" or "Restore the PS Vita System"?

Nevermind gah I hate this.

Only as a last resort. ^_^

Edit:
Near gifts expire even if you redeem them? If so...what's the point? So far I've only redeemed a near cue for Hustle Kings.

Probably to encourage you to play their game. Once you use the items in-game, the expiration date is no longer relevant.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reassuringly, near finally picked up a new location for me while on standby.

I think you may have to be in a new location for a certain minimum amount of time, and/or it needs to be some minimum distance from other locations you've already found, depending on the density of Vitas in those areas.

But think I'm finally figuring it out. At least the location-y side of it.

patsu

Reassuringly, near finally picked up a new location for me while on standby.

I think you may have to be in a new location for a certain minimum amount of time, and/or it needs to be some minimum distance from other locations you've already found, depending on the density of Vitas in those areas.

But think I'm finally figuring it out. At least the location-y side of it.

Unless you use manual update, I think Vita will only ping every hour. If that hourly ping happens in a new location, you will get a new radar page.

These locations don't have to be far. I have one radar page for my home street, and another radar page for the next street (just one block away).

DBT85

Unless you use manual update, I think Vita will only ping every hour. If that hourly ping happens in a new location, you will get a new radar page.

I'm fairly sure its every 30 minutes. The user guide says that and when driving to work locations were found every 30 minutes like clockwork.

Top Bottom