• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Pokémon Conquest: This doesn't feel like much of a Pokémon game at all!

After a previous Pokémon future games speculation thread in which a few users suggested the series should add more tactical elements to the battle system like positioning and terrain

Let me position my Pokemon and move them during battle. Use cover, Climb trees, Fly, Get Close\Put distance, etc.
I want real positioning in a real environment. (Give me set boundary around the encounter to define the arena, and turn me loose to come up with how to move, using the terrain as a real part of the strategy including height, distance, angle, obstructions, etc.)
I want moves and abilities to have areas of effect, with impacts on the environment where it would make sense. (Ice covering an area, Fire burning trees, Poison corrupting water, etc.)

Maybe even involve some parts of the environment for additional effects (e.g. puddles can conduct electricity or turn into slippery ice, logs can catch fire or serve as very basic cover against straight charging moves, etc).

I thought: "Hmm, I wonder how that would play out?" followed by: "Wait, didn't they already make that game?"

RAjEHZD.jpg

So I decided to check it out.

I don't normally (or have ever) play tactical RPGs, strategy RPGs, whatever you want to call them. But then again, I don't ever play any turn based RPGs in the first place besides the Pokémon series, so it fits.

Now the big problem the game is giving me that is impeding any desire I have to continue it:

From the little I've played (I've conquered the fire and grass places), it feels like any generic strategy tactics RPG with Pokémon sprites slapped in cheaply for more sales.

Only one attack move per monster, the different way stats are handled, the trainer/warrior bond percentage and warrior skills and other stuff with the humans, the out of battle gameplay of managing kingdoms and armies. I just feels like a skin over the existing Koei Nobunaga games, rather than much of a hybrid game or Pokémon game at all.

It's failing to grab me. I can't say I care about the samurai aesthetic and historical figure cameos either. (Also: Some guy says "I hear there's another region far away where they put Pokémon into little balls". Are you seriously telling me this isn't a historical game, but one occurring at the same time period as all the others with their technology?)

What's the GAF consensus on this game, and the concept behind it of a Pokémon tactical RPG?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Game was awesome, one of the best strategy titles on the DS. Thank god for region free consoles

Hmm So I have to ask, how did those of you who love the game feel about the Pokémon vs Nobunaga's Ambition balance in the gameplay?

Would you have preferred more traditional Pokémon leveling and stats, with 4 moves and learning/forgetting ones, etc? Did you particularly like the out of battle kingdom management stuff?

pikablu

Hmm So I have to ask, how did those of you who love the game feel about the Pokémon vs Nobunaga's Ambition balance in the gameplay?

Would you have preferred more traditional Pokémon leveling and stats, with 4 moves and learning/forgetting ones, etc? Did you particularly like the out of battle kingdom management stuff?

Leveling system was fine and the out of battle kingdom stuff was ok. I do wish they would have given you more than 1 move though. That should be something they should allow in the sequel.

Here's what I wanted them to improve

+ More streamlined way to equip items to pokemon
+ You should be able to link with more than 3 pokemon per trainer
+ There should be different random mini games to link with the pokemon, kind of how using the specials in yokai watch are. It got annoying to try and do that same tap A when circle reaches circle thing over and over.
+ Have battles on the top screen (if on 3ds)
+ Have a better indication other than small map of whose pokemon is whos
+ Allow for each pokemon to have more moves.

I got interested by your comments OP, but... 70 bucks (Amazon)??? Jesus christ. I know, I could find a loose cart somewhere, but I like my games complete :(

Played a bit farther, got to the stage where I have to deal with moving warriors from places to the place that has a path to the place I want to attack. Was confused by that menu stuff for a little bit, and continue to not care for managing kingdoms.

The game continues to not grab me. It really feels like you could make this exact game without the Pokémon license at all, just replace ember hitting a tile away with a bow and water gun hitting two tiles with a spear. Which I assume the KT Nobunaga games are like.

My trying this game out has only made me desire a tactical RPG Pokémon even more, because I feel like i didn't get the Pokémon part of that with this one.

Please try again with the concept. Make it a single human with a team of 6, 4 move slots, and an overworld like the main games (it can still be a spinoff).

Maybe call Ubisoft and get the Mario x Rabbids guys to do Pokémon X-Com.

Top Bottom