• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that left out popular/iconic characters?

So I was in the Blazblue Cross Tag Battle thread when some mentioned how asking not to include Noel is like asking for a Street Fighter game without Chun-li.

And then I remembered “didn’t Capcom actual try that?”

Sure enough....
latest
Yeah she was added later but that’s besides the point.

Basically what are some game that for whatever reason left out popular or iconic characters to the series, and how did you feel about it?

slamhk

Neo Member
- Shinobi to Nightshade on PS2. While it may not be that extreme of a change it was quite dissapointing not to see the iconic red long scarf.

- MGS2 and once again with MGS3 (The real snek)

Nicky Ali

This one is kind of cheating but Banjo-Tooie basically killed off Bottles just so they could replace him with his estranged brother JamJars.

I'm not complaining though, I thought it was quite funny.

Witcher 3

Iorveth and Saskia. Two of the biggest players in Witcher 2. Saskia especially had her story left wide open based on your choices at the end of 2. Never got closure to that outside of comic that only covers one of the possible way's witcher 2 could end for Saskia.

BiggNife

Yes, I know the reason, but Marvel vs Capcom Infinite not having Wolverine, Magneto, or Sentinel just doesn't feel right.

Tekken 3 is the only Tekken game without Kazuya. His return was a huge part of the hype behind Tag. I honestly feel like that was really cool because his absence and subsequent return gave him this really mysterious presence that tied in with how he became a more villainous character.

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire and Black and White were basically soft reboots that introduced tons of new Pokemon. In R&S most of the old Pokemon were infamously unavailable in-game, and trading wasn't possible with the GameBoy games. FireRed/LeafGreen and the GC games were made in part so all of the Kanto and Johto Pokemon could be available in Gen III. Black and White, you literally only could encounter Unova Pokemon until beating the game, and it's also the only entry in the series where Pikachu isn't catchable in the wild. After you beat the game it opens up though, and transferring from Gen IV was always possible. B2/W2 also made older Pokemon available right from the get-go.

Yes, I know the reason, but Marvel vs Capcom Infinite not having Wolverine, Magneto, or Sentinel just doesn't feel right.

Cyclops, Mega Man, and Cable missing in MVC3 cut pretty bad too.

CookTrain

As soon as I saw this thread, a game came immediately to mind. By the time I'd read through everyone else's replies, it's clean Scott gone from my mind.

Hopefully someone else posts it because now I'm going slightly mad.

Bioshock 2 features almost none of the characters that were in the original. Then they did the same thing again with Bioshock Infinite.

mas8705

hqdefault.jpg

I was at that age to where I didn't know much of anything and thought that the main characters in MK were Sub-Zero and Liu Kang considering that Scorpion was nowhere to be seen. Yeah... They fixed this later with the ultimate edition, but that doesn't change facts that in some ways, Sub-Zero was the only character to remain as a consistent character depending on who you ask.

Don't know if anyone cared when Liu Kang got left out of Deadly Alliance because he got his neck snapped...

spad3

Witcher 3

Iorveth and Saskia. Two of the biggest players in Witcher 2. Saskia especially had her story left wide open based on your choices at the end of 2. Never got closure to that outside of comic that only covers one of the possible way's witcher 2 could end for Saskia.

Iorveth not being in Witcher 3 made me sad. The fact that they had content planned, a model built and ready to go, but then axed is depressing. He was such a great character and the crux of Witcher 2. He could've been included in 3 as a side character, but instead they kept Letho around (if he wasn't killed in 2).

well ..

hqdefaulterslu.jpg

But only in the Dual Shock and further re-releases and in a non-story capacity I guess.

If you want to include that, sure. Also, there is a room in the Police Station with a photo of all the STARS members.

I could also say every single GTA game.

TreIII

The Street Fighter Alpha/Zero series went a good while without a lot of the "familiar" World Warriors until Alpha 3. And even there, characters like Guile didn't get added until that game's first console port.

Well Yakuza 6
basically gets rid of all of the Tojo Clan characters for the entire story, so no Seijima, Majima, Daigo etc. as they are all stuck in prison. So that also means you don't get a boss fight against Majima either :(
Also some support characters like Florist and Komaki are completely absent as Pergatory and the homeless building where Komaki's Dojo were previously located are not available in the game either...
. Probably forgetting about a few other characters that are absent from the game as well :(

Tizoc

King of Fighters '99 was considered to exclude Kyo and Iori but the two were still added in as secret characters.

KoF 2003 and XI would exclude some of the more popular characters such as Joe, Robert and Andy.
It was a minor thing but at the time I was quite surprised at a few of the omissions.

The Street Fighter Alpha/Zero series went a good while without a lot of the "familiar" World Warriors until Alpha 3. And even there, characters like Guile didn't get added until that game's first console port.

imho that was a good move. SF Zero 2 has one of the best rosters among Capcom's fighters.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ken is missing from SFV. No surprise the game bombed

Urm you're sure about that?

And I don't even own or have played Street Fighter V.

Pokemon Black and White notably excluded all previous-gen Pokemon until the postgame.
I loved it, made it feel super fresh.

Yeah that was amazing and acted like a soft reboot for the series without changing too much.

Plus the sequel made the old Pokémon feel new and fresh when they got added into the regional Pokédex.

King of Fighters '99 was considered to exclude Kyo and Iori but the two were still added in as secret characters.

KoF 2003 and XI would exclude some of the more popular characters such as Joe, Robert and Andy.
It was a minor thing but at the time I was quite surprised at a few of the omissions.

Mai and Robert were both missing in the original version of XI, but thankfully the PS2 version brought them back in their NGBC versions.

Then Mai and the whole Women Fighters Team were missing completely from XII. :( Adelheid also got totally dropped after XI which still bums me out.

Johnny Gat from SR3. Sure he's in it for all of five minutes...then out. SR4 did good in bringing him back.

Probably doesn't count.

Top Bottom