• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's the best rapper in the game currently?

OP what were you thinking, didn't you know it's only cool to post ironic responses in threads like these, SMH.

On the real it's been K-dot for a minute and still currently is.

dna5

EVOL 100%

I feel weird about posting in this thread because I don't really listen to hip hop all that much, but it's a toss up between Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar for me

Thewonandonly

Is kendrick by far if we're going pure best. Now personally preference can waiver around but the best in the game is by far no contest kung fu Kenny.

Drake, J.Cole and Kendrick run shit. But if I had to pick one it would be Drake. Dude created an entire wave of artists and even gave J.Cole and Kendrick stimulus packages earlier on in their careers.

Edit: Not just talking about lyricism and this is excluding grime because they wash everybody in that department.

____

That and the merchandise is so damn expen$$$$$$$ive

Lots of Internet joke rappers these days it seems really get the kids going so it's whatever

Yep :\

Shameful. Maybe they could command those prices if they released more music!

Fjordson

My favorite is Drake.

But it's probably Kendrick. I don't even enjoy Kendrick's music, I've listened to his last few albums once or twice and then never again, but he really resonates with people and there's an impressive level of craftsmanship to all of his work.

I thought Drake was going to hit that level, albeit in a style closer to R&B or pop, but I think he's been pretty inconsistent after If You're Reading This. His last two albums had no staying power with me after a few listens - and I say that as a massive Drake stan.

Of course with hip-hop there's always a sea of talented rappers outside of the mainstream spotlight. I'm sure there are some lesser known guys out there that you could comfortably put next to anyone else in the game, but I haven't been keeping up with hip-hop over the past year or so as much as I used to so I'm not quite sure who that would be currently.

Officially has to be Kendrick or Drake, decent rappers with huge followings who affect the entire mainstream musical landscape when they put anything out. Unofficially there are too many peoples 'favorite rappers' right now. The internet changed everything.

see5harp

Officially has to be Kendrick or Drake, decent rappers with huge followings who affect the entire mainstream musical landscape when they put anything out. Unofficially there are too many peoples 'favorite rappers' right now. The internet changed everything.

That's not what the thread title was. But if defined as such I would obviously say Kendrick.

phanphare

Banned
it's Kendrick if we're using that nebulous fame + talent + track record equation

but it's probably Royce, Ka, or Billy Woods

PudieRSC

I just don't get the Drake love. Like at all. I have no idea how he's so popular or respected. Dude just seems exceptionally average.

Kung Fu Kenny gets my vote.

Top Bottom