• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation devices mysteriously deactivated. Sony support cannot help. Help GAF

Sony's customer service here in the UK (in my experience anyway...) is absolutely terrible. People over the phone are so rude and confrontational as hell, and don't help you at all. Don't even pretend to be friendly.

Honestly, not to flame or anything, but in my experience, Microsoft's customer service on Xbox at least are really nice people and are always happy to help. Sony could learn a thing or to

I honestly do wonder where Sony employ their customer service people from...

So yeah, I sympathise with you OP for having to deal with an F grade customer service!

geordiemp

There are many threads like this here, on reddit and other places so at the very least this is very bad PR for Sony.
Even if you believe that all of this is just due to people being careless with their PSN accounts or passwords, which I really doubt,they are still the only one of the major services that don't have two factor authentication.

Has there been any official response from Sony on this, something indicating that they are working on improving security?

Glad some posters can see clearly how easy it is for a hack of Psn ot totally abuse the digital PSN system. I never knew this until yesterday. Scary stuff.

jesu

I don't have a horse in this race. but I know an asshole when I see one.

squeaky wheel might get lube, but you don't have to be an asshole to squeak.

I think op is a bitch and there's a simpler explanation. This isn't some random hack job, because the evidence doesn't line up.

re-read the thread. guy's a jerk, and I'm not sorry for calling him out on it, even if it makes me look like a jerk.

Holy fuck.

Glad some posters can see clearly how easy it is for a hack of Psn ot totally abuse the digital PSN system. I never knew this until yesterday. Scary stuff.

Yeah, I'm with you - their customer service is shockingly bad, rude and disrespectful, not even pretending to be friendly.

geordiemp

Holy fuck.

Normally I try to discuss the point at hand and stay away from personal insults and ad hominem.

But this guy is something else . Surprised he has not been red carded yet, dont need that aggressive attitude to me when I have been hacked and lost access to many digital games I bought.

To me thats theft

Based on stories around here and the Internet it seems like Sony support staff are encouraged to antagonize customers

This exactly because it actually seems like it; they're always so confrontational and assume the worst of the customer. Not friendly in the slightest (in my experience anyway).

Hedrush

No it's a UK PSN account going by the users posts and a tiny bit of reading on here, reddit or rllmuk will show that the UK PSN support CS is nothing short of atrocious.

See, this is the thing, I've had to phone CS maybe 5 times since 2007 and everytime they've been very helpful. My calls where due to 2 of my consoles dying and one time was due to my superstardust reverting back to its demo mode, it was only £2.99 but it was the principal. I also phoned them for two friends who's console died and again they where very helpful. So that's 4 consoles replaced and my superstardust reverting back to the full game and not once did I have to fight my corner.

Now, the OP's situation is completely different. He has multiple consoles that have been used for in house game sharing, nothing wrong with that. But Sony won't see it that way. They'll see it as someone trying to fiddle them out of free games basically and again there's nothing wrong with CS stance on this. They'll have a code of practice to follow, it's not like it's down to the individual CS operator. So this is where the problem arises, trying to convince support your not trying to fiddle them when they have a clear set of rules they must follow to the letter.

For all the people saying OP must have shared his account details.
I got hacked similarly but the account was completely new.
I bought my first PS3 about a year ago basically to play Demons Soul and some other PS3 exclusives and created my first PSN account. A couple of months later I got a confirmation email that I had bought the deluxe PS4 version of Assassins Creed Unity which I obviously had not. I immediately logged in on the web and checked and sure enough someone had bought the game, disconnected my PS3, connected a PS4 and bought the game using my VISA card info which I stupidly had saved on my account.
They had however not changed my password.
I immediately removed my card and changed the password but I also had the no device changes in 6 months message.
I then contacted customer support who actually seemed very helpful and said that it was obvious I had been hacked and said he would fix everything.
A couple of days later I get an email saying that they could not fix the problem after all, they would remove the PS4 but could not refund my money, about 100$.
I of course pointed out that it was very strange that they would acknowledge that I had been hacked but would not refund but the only message I received back was that this was a final decision and there was nothing I could do.

That's similar to the story that was bought up about a month ago on Watch Dog here in the UK; they always like to think worst and their logic is absolutely awful .They really need to review that policy since it's absolute BS that they still think like that (despite acknowledging it themselves)! I guess they just want to cheap out when it comes to the refunds.

foxdvd

This thread reminded me to change my password for my psn...honestly with Sony's recent history of hacks, you would think they would use a two step process on everything. I know we need to be active in our own account protection, but we also need a little help from mistakes that happen. I understand that Sony does not want to encourage behavior that might make it easy to steal from them, but if it is the first time it has happened on your account it should be a no questions fix on their part.

I wonder if the amount of digital purchases made by the OP actually hurt his chances to get this fixed? If it was one or two Sony might look at it as a true hack, but with a LARGE library they might actually think the OP just sold his account with the games or is trying to dupe them?

Also, someone in this thread needs to seriously leave now....they keep distracting from the issue...I feel like if I called the OP a bitch I would have been banned...

Hedrush

Its a clear and unfortunately common hack used by scum to get free digital games, and 'some' at Sony dont seem to be that smart.

That doesn't make sense mate. Why would they goto all that trouble hacking you to get free digital games when they can create their own account and just download the freebies themselves. The first thing a hacker will do is change your password, and this didn't happen.

mittelos

I think op is a bitch and there's a simpler explanation. This isn't some random hack job, because the evidence doesn't line up.

And calling shit out as I see it does make me an asshole. At least I own it.
You are a fine addition to the community; please contribute more.

OP, these types of service issues are maddening, and in my experience there's no great solution other than continuing to call and hope you get an empathetic rep. I'm going through something similar with ATT and finally had to threaten to cancel all services so I could get to a customer retention rep. Not the same I know, but hang in there, I know it's frustrating as hell.

See, this is the thing, I've had to phone CS maybe 5 times since 2007 and everytime they've been very helpful. My calls where due to 2 of my consoles dying and one time was due to my superstardust reverting back to its demo mode, it was only £2.99 but it was the principal. I also phoned them for two friends who's console died and again they where very helpful. So that's 4 consoles replaced and my superstardust reverting back to the full game and not once did I have to fight my corner.

Now, the OP's situation is completely different. He has multiple consoles that have been used for in house game sharing, nothing wrong with that. But Sony won't see it that way. They'll see it as someone trying to fiddle them out of free games basically and again there's nothing wrong with CS stance on this. They'll have a code of practice to follow, it's not like it's down to the individual CS operator. So this is where the problem arises, trying to convince support your not trying to fiddle them when they have a clear set of rules they must follow to the letter.

I think hardware and PSN support are completely different beasts. Probably follow separate scripts and possibly in completely different centers.

Totbjorn

Neo Member

I am mainly a PC gamer and only had two games on my PSN account so for me the big deal were more the violation itself and the lost money for the game the hacker bought. If this were to happen to my Steam account though it would be absolutely horrible!
As it was, it at least made me turn change to better passwords and turn on two factor for all my other stuff so it might have been a valuable lesson.

I would also like to point out that the Swedish support guy I talked was very helpful and promised to fix everything. It was afterwards someone I assume higher up decide to overrule that and deny me the refund.

A friend had this exact samr thing happen. It's absolutely insane that they refuse to do anything about it.

He wound up actually sending a letter to some part of Sony (don't know what exactly) and they called him and told him they'd reactivate his home PS4 once.

I think op is a bitch and there's a simpler explanation.

What the fuck?

Vlitra

Banned
I'm sorry you are going through this. I know it would piss me off too.

This inspired me to look at my account settings. I didn't know you could tie a PIN number to your PSN account.

Hubble

Wow....

Sony told you to wait 6 months?

That is not only unprofessional but very rude. Imagine your console not working and you called for support, and you were told to wait 6 months. That is like a smack in the face. Sony has the worse customer support, that's for sure.

Wow....

That is not only unprofessional but very rude. Imagine your console not working and you called for support, and you were told to wait 6 months. That is like a smack in the face. Sony has the worse customer support, that's for sure.

The six months is because of the deactivation process. You can only deactivate all devices once every six months. Otherwise you need to deactivate each device on the actual device.

GAF

I have 2 Ps4 and 2 Ps3. All listed as my devices. We have 1 ps4 set as primary console, one as guest.

Now, yesterday apparently all my consoles were deactivated. I did not do this. There is a Ps4 now activated as my primary console (but I do not own this console).

I dont know what to do, I have 2 Ps4's in the house and I cannot activate either as a primary.

I cannot deactivate all my consoles as they have already been deactivated on the PSN account page and it no longer gives me the option.

I contacted PSN support twice, and they say I have to wait 6 months, and that they seem to think I have given my PSN details to another PS4. I am claiming this must be account fraud.

However, PSN support say as this mystery Ps4 has made some free purchases (PS+ downloads) on my account then they dont believe me and say it is my doing. I ahve argued with the guy for hours, he will not let me speak to someone else and I cannot deactivate this unknown Ps4.

Help GAF, I am going nuts. PSN service is the rudest and most non-compliant and unhelpful support I have ever seen. I am the account holder and they will not help me and terminated the phone call. Unbelievable.

Wow, that is absolutely no way to treat a customer - no way should that guy have his job.

Hedrush

Wow....

You can only deactivate your systems once every 6 months and you can only "deactivate all" not one single unit. I guess it's too prevent fraudulent activity.

Hasn't PSN and other Sony databases already hacked at least twice in the last few years?

There are probably a lot of PSN account data of these hacks floating around the web.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Did someone already ask if the PS4 your kid has at Grandma's house is now the primary? Maybe he/she switched it over without realizing what would happen? Maybe they wanted access to a game YOU had and they did not?

I dunno.

If anything this thread showed me the deactivation part of the website I did not know about, and I went and deactivated the PS3 I sold a few weeks back. I had wiped the PS3 and blown out all previous data, but better safe than sorry right? :)

They must have logs of every download. To which IP. To which console.

Does you son know your PSN login password by any chance?
The million dollars question...

What a twist it'd be if grandma's house is the other IP? Like good ol'son wanna play some of daddy's games while at granny's...

Also, writing a letter (professional looking) and CC the BBB that can also yield results.

This is the only thing that helped my friend who had this happen. He called them multiple times, asked to speak to a higher up (I think they refused if I remember correctly), sent emails... didn't do shit. A week or so after he sent them a letter, he got a call and they let him make his actual PS4 his home system again.

Seriously, fuck Sony for operating under the assumption that all their customers are liars and thieves.

I contacted PSN support twice, and they say I have to wait 6 months, and that they seem to think I have given my PSN details to another PS4. I am claiming this must be account fraud.

I don't know if you've clarified but why do you say you are "claiming it must be account fraud"? It sounds like you're trying to word it carefully here to avoid the whole truth. I'm not saying that's the case it just stuck out as odd wording to me.

Hedrush

Did someone already ask if the PS4 your kid has at Grandma's house is now the primary? Maybe he/she switched it over without realizing what would happen? Maybe they wanted access to a game YOU had and they did not?

I dunno.

If anything this thread showed me the deactivation part of the website I did not know about, and I went and deactivated the PS3 I sold a few weeks back. I had wiped the PS3 and blown out all previous data, but better safe than sorry right? :)

Yeah I mentioned this. Sony CS told him the console that was now the primary, had been used to download stuff before.

Ban Puncher

I don't have a horse in this race. but I know an asshole when I see one.

we can smell our own.

squeaky wheel might get lube, but you don't have to be an asshole to squeak.

And calling shit out as I see it does make me an asshole. At least I own it.

I used to do cs, not that it would make a difference here. I don't work for sony, and I'm not defending them whatsoever.

what I am getting on op's ass for is because every post he makes is "well, I bought this, this, and that." and it's not just a little bit. re-read the thread. guy's a jerk, and I'm not sorry for calling him out on it, even if it makes me look like a jerk. I'm totally fine with that, because guess what? I can be a jerk, but I'm a fair jerk.

all I'm bringing attention to is that spending money does not make you more important. buying twelve 80" 4k flatscreens, fifteen ps4's, a dozen ps tv's, fifty ps3's, and a million psn games doesn't make you a more important customer than someone who hasn't. frankly, i think op should go back to microsoft, because it would appear their capitalistic ideologies are more aligned.

that sort of mentality is something I find appalling, and yes, perhaps that is a byproduct of my 15 years in cs. maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it because it has no bearing here.

do I like to game? sure, otherwise I wouldn't be here. but the way you guys are blowing this out of proportion, it's like you guys are nuts. conspiracy theories and all, acting like the support doesn't want to help for no other reason than to get their rocks off and laugh on the way to the bank? get real. people scam the system all the time, and its pretty hard to tell legit from otherwise. and even then, we don't know how much op says is true. not that I'm calling him a liar, but that's the world we live in today.

then again, I don't get myself into problems because of password mismanagement, and then go to the internet asking strangers for help while humblebragging about my personal belongings.

wnP6QIv.gif

Hedrush

The million dollars question...

What a twist it'd be if grandma's house is the other IP? Like good ol'son wanna play some of daddy's games while at granny's...

This is what I'm thinking too. It's seems the most plausible answer. It's definitely not console fraud as his password was never changed. The first rule of console fraud is change the password immediately, allegedly lol.

This is what I'm thinking too. It's seems the most plausible answer. It's definitely not console fraud as his password was never changed. The first rule of console fraud is change the password immediately, allegedly lol.

When it happened to my friend, they didn't change anything. I'm guessing they were just hoping he'd never notice.

I noticed a couple of months back that someone had been using my Origin account. I suddenly had Fifa points in my basket one day. Checked my transactions and someone had actually been trying for a few months. They would just try one small purchase every few weeks. They never went through 'cause my card wouldn't allow overseas transactions. They didn't change any of my info, and Origin never noticed. Was probably the same thing here. Just hoping to go as long as possible without being noticed.

Please correct me if I'm understanding wrong. It seems customer service are alleging that the PS4 that is now activated in your account has already been used for transactions before/prior to this situation arise?

Are you sure you didn't have this system activated before and just don't remember it?
Is it possible that someone might be intermittently using your account? If you did game share in the PS3 days or if your e-mail account tied to PSN got compromised, that may be a real possibility.

Hedrush

When it happened to my friend, they didn't change anything. I'm guessing they were just hoping he'd never notice.

I noticed a couple of months back that someone had been using my Origin account. I suddenly had Fifa points in my basket one day. Checked my transactions and someone had actually been trying for a few months. They would just try one small purchase every few weeks. They never went through 'cause my card wouldn't allow overseas transactions. They didn't change any of my info, and Origin never noticed. Was probably the same thing here. Just hoping to go as long as possible without being noticed.

The thing is they've not used his account to download any paid games but they did download some free games. Now when you download anything, even the free stuff you get an email thanking you for your transaction. Now if I received an email to my account saying "thank you for your purchase" for a game I hadn't downloaded alarm bells would start ringing but the OP hasn't mentioned anything about recieving any emails but CS told him that the console that was now primary had downloaded some free games, we don't know what games as again the OP hasn't mentioned them.

Some things just don't add up and it leads us back to grandma's console, but he can't check that yet to cross reference the serial numbers via his Sony entertainment account.

Mesoian

I used to do cs, not that it would make a difference here. I don't work for sony, and I'm not defending them whatsoever.

what I am getting on op's ass for is because every post he makes is "well, I bought this, this, and that." and it's not just a little bit. re-read the thread. guy's a jerk, and I'm not sorry for calling him out on it, even if it makes me look like a jerk. I'm totally fine with that, because guess what? I can be a jerk, but I'm a fair jerk.

all I'm bringing attention to is that spending money does not make you more important. buying twelve 80" 4k flatscreens, fifteen ps4's, a dozen ps tv's, fifty ps3's, and a million psn games doesn't make you a more important customer than someone who hasn't. frankly, i think op should go back to microsoft, because it would appear their capitalistic ideologies are more aligned.

that sort of mentality is something I find appalling, and yes, perhaps that is a byproduct of my 15 years in cs. maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it because it has no bearing here.

do I like to game? sure, otherwise I wouldn't be here. but the way you guys are blowing this out of proportion, it's like you guys are nuts. conspiracy theories and all, acting like the support doesn't want to help for no other reason than to get their rocks off and laugh on the way to the bank? get real. people scam the system all the time, and its pretty hard to tell legit from otherwise. and even then, we don't know how much op says is true. not that I'm calling him a liar, but that's the world we live in today.

then again, I don't get myself into problems because of password mismanagement, and then go to the internet asking strangers for help while humblebragging about my personal belongings.

This is fucking amazing right here. It's been a while since I've seen such passive delusion. "Sony CS shouldn't have to do their jobs because there's a pretty high chance this guy is trying to scam them, so fuck him".

Like...seriously, wow. What an attitude for someone with 15 years of CS experience to have.

Jme

This is completely fucked up. I hope you get it sorted out quickly. Have you tried calling back and speaking to someone else?

Also, I just DO NOT understand one thing.

Sony CS doesn't believe you, and thinks you are trying to fraud them. How? In what way could the following scenario be fraud EVEN IF YOU WERE LYING? (I'm not saying you are!)

You have 2x PS4, 2x PS3.
You log in and deactivate them all
You activate a new ps4 and mark it primary and download a few FREE games.
You call up and say, deactivate this bullshit 3rd PS4, so I can activate my original 2, and make one of them primary again.

(I KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT HAPPENED - BUT...) If that IS what happened, which is basically what Sony is claiming, how the fuck is that fraud? How is that you getting one over on them? In what possible way do you benefit from this, in their minds?

Like... maybe I'm not crafty enough to get it, but I don't see any benefit to doing this, you're not getting refunds or cash back or games credited. So, why can't they just help you out?

I'm baffled.

Hedrush

This is completely fucked up. I hope you get it sorted out quickly. Have you tried calling back and speaking to someone else?

Also, I just DO NOT understand one thing.

Sony CS doesn't believe you, and thinks you are trying to fraud them. How? In what way could the following scenario be fraud EVEN IF YOU WERE LYING? (I'm not saying you are!)

You have 2x PS4, 2x PS3.
You log in and deactivate them all
You activate a new ps4 and mark it primary and download a few FREE games.
You call up and say, deactivate this bullshit 3rd PS4, so I can activate my original 2, and make one of them primary again.

(I KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT HAPPENED - BUT...) If that IS what happened, which is basically what Sony is claiming, how the fuck is that fraud? How is that you getting one over on them? In what possible way do you benefit from this, in their minds?

Like... maybe I'm not crafty enough to get it, but I don't see any benefit to doing this, you're not getting refunds or cash back or games credited. So, why can't they just help you out?

I'm baffled.

I'm confused also. Some things just don't add up. I'm not saying the OP is lying and I really hope it's all a misunderstanding and his 12 year old kid is to blame. It wouldn't be the first time a parent has been duped by their children. I really don't think a fraudster would hack an account to download free stuff. Any change to your PSN account and you get an email notifying you of the change. OP hasn't mentioned anything about that.

jet1911

No he does not. He does not even know his own PSN password, I have to do it for him. Thats why I am 100 % confident my son would not go onto my PSN account on a PC and delete all consoles...which would also be a no motive stupid act. He gets every game he asks for, all DLC for every game we play...so his motive for going behind my back is ZERO

Oh ok then. Real shitty situation for you. I hope I never have to go through Sony CS after all these horror stories.

NewDust

I'm confused also. Some things just don't add up. I'm not saying the OP is lying and I really hope it's all a misunderstanding and his 12 year old kid is to blame. It wouldn't be the first time a parent has been duped by their children. I really don't think a fraudster would hack an account to download free stuff. Any change to your PSN account and you get an email notifying you of the change. OP hasn't mentioned anything about that.

What is free to OP with ps+ doesn't have to be free to person who now has claimed the primary ps4

Darknight

If OP has a son, his son could have shared his account info with say a best friend.

Anyways best of luck. I dont really blame Sony's CS because I feel during the PS3 days, people must of called for this same stuff 90% of the time being that game sharing was a "thing". It still is but in a much smaller scale. (no 5 account sharing)

If I were OP, i'd ask the kid until he spills what he did or maybe his kid got "social hacked" or whatever its called. They just ask him a bunch of things and by doing that they can get into their accounts.

Eh best of luck!

Totbjorn

Neo Member
I am also wondering what the gain for the hacker is.
Since it happened to me I am certain it does happen and I believe people telling me it has happened to them.

So what do they actually gain.
In my case I guess they gained the AC Unity they bought with my credit card, but only until I got their PS4 banned, so was that really worth it?
Normally they would probably also gain all previously bought digital games which potentially could be quite a few but since I only had a PS3 I had no PS4 games, but again only until the console is banned.
Is there something I am missing here. Can they have a honneypot PS4 that constantly gets banned while they transfer the games to their real PS4? Could they change the serial number of their PS4 so that it becomes new again but still have their downloaded games?
Are they looking for some digital goods that can be sold and these accounts are just misstakes?
I am genuinely curios about this.

Hedrush

What is free to OP with ps+ doesn't have to be free to person who now has claimed the primary ps4

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly but if I deactivate my PS4 then go out and buy another one and sign in with my original details and activate that as my primary I can then redownload all my PS+ stuff.

NewDust

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly but if I deactivate my PS4 then go out and buy another one and sign in with my original details and activate that as my primary I can then redownload all my PS+ stuff.

What I tried to say is that the OP said there was free ps+ plus content downloaded to a PS4 he doesn't know. IT isn't that the "fraudster" purchased free games, but games that were free due to OP having a PS+ subscription. So the "fraudster" hasn't taken over the account and primary because of free games, but because of OP's Library and subscription.

Hedrush

What I tried to say is that the OP said there was free ps+ plus content downloaded to a PS4 he doesn't know. IT isn't that the "fraudster" purchased free games, but games that were free due to OP having a PS+ subscription. So the "fraudster" hasn't taken over the account and primary because of free games, but because of OP's Library and subscription.

Ok i understand you now. Yeah I guess that's possible but "PSN fraudsters" don't usually hack your account to download free PS+ stuff. The minute they have access to your account they buy a shitload of fifa points.

Not only that, anything the Op buys the other user would have access to it as well. Most likely the hacker didn't change the password so that the Op wouldn't notice it and just continue using the account as it is. It's just that the Op have multiple PS4s that's why the hacker was probably forced to use the deactivate all systems.

Weevilone

So what do they actually gain.

The FIFA thing that was going on a while back let hackers buy FIFA cards or some DLC and they could be transferred to "friends" accounts. Basically they were selling FIFA DLC for cash online. Maybe there's something similar going on now, but doesn't sound like it in this specific case.

When my Xbox Live account was compromised, that was the deal. It was similar though, in that the hacker didn't bother to change my password so I was able to regain control of the account. I think they just aren't that smart sometimes. Still, it took most of a year to get Microsoft to refund my stolen money, so they weren't much better than Sony in my case.

Hedrush

Not only that, anything the Op buys the other user would have access to it as well. Most likely the hacker didn't change the password so that the Op wouldn't notice it and just continue using the account as it is. It's just that the Op have multiple PS4s that's why the hacker was probably forced to use the deactivate all systems.

No, because the minute the "hacker" downloads something the original user gets an email notification. Even if the "hacker" changed the email account the original user would be notified. The OP hasn't mentioned anything like that so can we put all this hacker shit to bed it's simply not the case here.

No, because the minute the "hacker" downloads something the original user gets an email notification. Even if the "hacker" changed the email account the original user would be notified. The OP hasn't mentioned anything like that so can we put all this hacker shit to bed it's simply not the case here.

You only get emails for purchases. You can download anything already on the account without any notifications.

Hedrush

You only get emails for purchases. You can download anything already on the account without any notifications.

Fair point but would a hacker goto all that trouble in the hope you had a huge download list of games. Hackers hack to get free shit they don't need to pay for, they don't hack to get stuff that's already free and the OP clearly states that CS told him that a free game had been downloaded from his account onto a console he has used before. They didn't download from his download list they downloaded a freebie from the store.
I'm still calling it that his kid has something to do with this.

Top Bottom