• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Survey: would you sell back your digital games at 10% of purchase price?

kennyamr

lol 10% :p

I'd love to directly sell games to other people like friends using their specific usernames, they could get games 25% off the current price and I could get 25% of the current price as credit for the next purchase. Obviously only possible after at least 3 months after the original release date of the game.

The store would lose 50% of the current price but it will definitely increase sales by a significant margin, instead of losing 100% with resellers like GameStop.

I'm unlikely to take advantage of it but I don't usually sell games in general. It's definitely a superior system to the current model of "you can't get anything back" though so idk why all the people ITT are getting up in arms about it.

Rembrandt

Banned
Looked up some Gamestop trade values of bigger games of Holiday 2014 (so about 18 months old)

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfighter: $3.00
Assassin's Creed Unity: $3.00
Far Cry 4: $12.00
Titanfall: $1.50
Middle Earth: Shadows over Mordor: $5
South Park: The Stick of Truth $3
Madden NFL 15: $2

It actually makes the 10% off the original price ($6) look like a good deal as long as you wait a year, lol

If this is accurate, lol.

But yeah, I would take it, but I'll take higher.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather they add a $2 a day rental service. Rentals are the big thing making me cling to physical.

Movie industry switched to allowing digital rentals and it sucks that the game industry is lagging so far behind there.

I understand the money isn't leaving their marketplace, but that's enough for nothing in return? I guess they have run the numbers on purchase habits when people have a store credit.
I think Microsoft takes a 30% cut or something on everything sold through the Xbox Store. So if they then give 10% back, they still make a profit and give you a reason to buy more.

SOR5

I understand the money isn't leaving their marketplace, but that's enough for nothing in return? I guess they have run the numbers on purchase habits when people have a store credit.

I guess it also works as an incentive to buy from their store, where they will get more money.

Some people buy physical solely so they can trade it back in later, allowing the same for digital would make them re-consider

But they have to go higher than 10%

Serious question what does MS gain from allowing you to sell back digital games?

Or do they think this will lead to more sales?

Yeah, I imagine it's a way to put MS credit into people's pockets and then have them spend it + more on games they might not have otherwise bought so they end up coming out ahead.

Also would not be surprised if they ended up labeling the credit as promotional so that it expires in a year as an incentive to get you to use it.

legacyzero

Banned
fd08ahu94sl7.gif

It's low. But it's better than nothing isn't?

No. 10% is bullshit. Straight up. Of course the "It's better than nothing" argument works for fucking everything LOL.

10% is low, but it's better than nothing, which is what you currently get for used digital games on all platforms.

That said, if I had to make a guess, the only reason Microsoft is even considering this is that they haven't given up on their all-digital console dream.

They're looking for the price at which people will except an all-digital, no-used-games Microsoft future, since the ability to sell used games is what people fought for the last time Microsoft failed with this push.

My guess for the way Microsoft wants this to go? They figure out a price for digital "resale" they think most of their audience will accept. They implement this price for all digital games you buy on Xbox.

Then at some point during one of their ".5" Xbox cycles, once they have introduced their yearly new models or whatever, they introduce an (optional) Xbox model that is all digital games, at a cheaper price. You save money on buying the box, but don't worry about the fact that it's all digital, because you can still "sell your used games" back to them. Hopefully, in Microsoft's eyes at least, this goes over fairly well, and two or three product cycles down the road, suddenly all the Xbox models are digital only.

Absolutely, 100% what is going on.

It was not about a digital only console, it was and is about their digital store on win10 devices. And yeah, they haven't dropped it, on the contrary, they are doubling down on it.

naitosan

Hmm, I'd like sell back percent to be at least 50% for newer titles, 25% or less for older titles.

50% between launch / six month
25% between six month / year
10% year + beyond
0 % out of print

Megatron

Yeah I couldn't imagine buying Halo 6 at 60 bucks and selling it back the same day for 6 dollars.

How often do you buy and sell games in the same day currently? Dig through your entire history of games. You're telling me there isn't a single game you have ever purchased that you would sell for $6 today?

Keeping the game would be better.

Not really. I have stuff in my library that I haven't played in more than a year and have no intention or desire to play in the future. I'd take 10% back on those, though obviously more would be better.

People, asking for 30% is insane. That's literally their entire cut. No way that happens.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say why not for some types of games.

Makes the yearly Madden and Modern Warfare game $54 each year instead of $60, and there's really no reason to go back to the old game after you get the new one.

Certainly better than $0

wrowa

10% is not much, but it'd still be Micrsoft rewarding you credit for something that is entirely valueless to them. Digital games aren't supply-constrained and they have no actual resale value, so... it's still better than nothing.

Hahaha, fuck off, 10%. Make it 75% and we'll talk. What an insulting proposal.

You want them to pay you 75% of the value of the game for a non physical product? EB games won't give you that deal for a physical product they can resell, whereas digital stores don't even get to resell it for obvious reasons. You're not selling it TO anyone. Nobody would pay you the insane figure of 75% to revoke your digital license benefiting nobody. Currently your options are "get fucking nothing" so even a 5% refund is essentially charity from Microsoft since they do not even benefit from it.

kennyamr

More insulting than the current 0%?

I guess I'm not getting some posts...maybe I'm not thinking clearly...but like, if you never touch it again as is then wouldn't $6 be better than the $0 you currently have for it wasting away on your account?

I think it's more insulting to the actual games than to us.

I firmly believe that any game... ehem, 90% of the games I buy at launch price are worth more than $6 for me to give them away.
I rather keep them in my library and get $0 than losing them and get only $6 in return.

AmuroChan

They're not losing money because whatever you get back you still have to spend it with them.

Still...that's far too low for money they aren't going to lose.

Well, they could lose money even if it's store credit. If you sell back a 1st party game (which MS takes 100% of the cut), and then uses the credit to buy a 3rd party game, MS now has to give the 3rd party publisher a cut of that.

theWB27

Keeping the game would be better.

No, it wouldn't. You have to start somewhere. That's how you build on something.

But...we know it's low. ..don't shoot it down before it even starts.

I'd love deals in the future for giving up my license.

Top Bottom