• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/donald-trump-cabinet-233333

Trump might be mostly hands off in some cases, but might get involved in matters he deems important enough. This confirms to me that there might be conflicting goals and miscommunication, I can clearly see Trump leaving tasks up to his secretaries - one of them cause a controversy or results didn't happen quick enough and then Trump firing them. However, the reasoning of the failure is partially because of the how the administration is structured.

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please delegate control of the nukes to literally anyone else

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please delegate control of the nukes to literally anyone else

INB4 Trump gives the briefcase to one of Putin's plants...that might still be better than Trump having it.

Comrades, I am sad to say that the Jacobin is at it again.

C1wTSsjWQAAfTHs.jpg

>_>

The article's thesis is basically "Streep is rich so I hate her she should shut up and not talk how Trump is ableist."

Lol. It's amazing how horrible folks like jacobmag, TYT and the Intercept are.

Comrades, I am sad to say that the Jacobin is at it again.

C1wTSsjWQAAfTHs.jpg

>_>

The article's thesis is basically "Streep is rich so I hate her she should shut up and not talk how Trump is ableist."

"Mom, the cultural/identity leftists and the economic leftists are being beastly to each other again."

Fuckin' idiots. Oh, and obligatory, of course:

tumblr_lh1p893n921qedptjo1_500.jpg

NeoXChaos

I've been lurking OT since election but can someone tell why the OT is back to arguing the primary all over again? It's the same culprits from that time period too. Every Hillary, Trump or political thread gets derailed right back into arguing about Hillary vs Bernie.

It's over folks. We have to prepare to fight Trump and his admin every waking day of the next 1,460 days if we are fortunate.

I've been lurking OT since election but can someone tell why the OT is back to arguing the primary all over again? It's the same culprits from that time period too. Every Hillary, Trump or political thread gets derailed right back into arguing about Hillary vs Bernie.

It's over folks. We have to prepare to fight Trump and his admin every waking day of the next 1,460 days if we are fortunate.

This is the more immediate fight.

Nothing we can really do about Trump until 2020 (more likely, 2024).

New Jersey Democrats <3 Establishment

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...gest-1-9?t=1483996711168#update-1483996710000

NJ-Gov: Former Goldman Sachs exec Phil Murphy continues to hoover up support from New Jersey's political establishment in his bid for governor, and now he's capped off a string of endorsements by earning the support of the state's top two Democrats, Sens. Bob Menendez and Cory Booker. What's also interesting here is that Menendez, though under indictment for corruption and up for re-election next year, remains very much a central figure in Jersey politics&#8212;he attended Monday's press conference along with Booker.

Murphy faces Assemblyman John Wisniewski, a prominent Bernie Sanders supporter, in the June primary, but the Garden State rarely rewards upstarts. (Case in point: Hillary Clinton crushed Sanders 63-37 last year, and the fact that Democrats are sticking with Menendez should tell you something about the party's sclerosis.) State Sen. Ray Lesniak is also apparently seeking the Democratic nod, but we're skeptical. Some minor Republicans have entered the race, but we're still waiting to hear from a few bigger players.

lol:

Phil Murphy | Democrat for Governor
https://www.murphy4nj.com/
Phil Murphy has done a lot. Achieved a lot. Helped a lot of people. But one thing he's not is a political insider. That's why he'll be a governor who has our back.

Crocodile

Man these threads have been a weird fluctuation between "WE ARE DOOMED" and "There's hope - here is the game plan".

Sigh :/

Today would be a good day to call your MoC, especially your senators. Rather than falling for the Streep trap, I mean.

We even have a script to make it easy.

I left a message to my Republican Senator (I feel confident Sherrod Brown knows what's up) but I kind of rambled a bit. Just said I felt very concerned about the cabinet positions were being rammed through sans Ethics reviews, that Trump has a history of being shady as shit and it seems that's being extended here too and that Sessions + Tillerson were extra concerning to me.

I probably should have stuck to the script but I felt being more authentic was important

EDIT: I just called Sherrod Brown anyway and his mailbox was full LOL

This is the more immediate fight.

Nothing we can really do about Trump until 2024.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm pretty sure calling your Republican congressmen will be more helpful than arguing against a poster on NeoGAF who jerks off to speeches by Lenin.

Prettay prettay sure he literally can't

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm pretty sure calling your Republican congressmen will be more helpful than arguing against a poster on NeoGAF who jerks off to speeches by Lenin.

Nah. I think arguing against a poster on Neogaf is more helpful than that.

Now if you say Democratic Congressman... you might have a point!

This has to be sarcasm.

It's the truth.

Arguing against random neogaf poster is just a symptom of the more immediate fight right now - What will the Democratic Party be like in the coming years?

hey neo its been a while, good to see you again

sphagnum

Banned

VIfBWCd.jpg

Sexy

Nah. I think arguing against a poster on Neogaf is more helpful than that.

Now if you say Democratic Congressman... you might have a point!

It's the truth.

Arguing against random neogaf poster is just a symptom of the more immediate fight right now - What will the Democratic Party be like in the coming years?

I mean.... do you not remember last week when angrily calling Republicans caused them to not dismantle the ethics office?

It was seven days ago.

lol

http://people.com/politics/d-c-dres...r-inauguration-theres-never-been-less-demand/

However, it seems that Trump’s claim is quite a stretch. PEOPLE called a few D.C. area stores that carry formal dresses and evening wear, and every store said they had plenty of inventory available for those seeking an outfit to wear to the inauguration.

“No, we’re not sold out,” Mae Shipe, owner of the D.C. Mae’s Dress Boutique, told PEOPLE. “We have 200 dresses, if not more, in stock.”

Not only, it seems, are dresses in stock, but people aren’t flocking to the stores to pick them up, either.

“We have not gotten a huge influx of traffic specifically related to shopping for inaugural dresses,” Anastasia Thomas, an employee at Betsy Fisher, a D.C. women’s wear shop, said.

In fact, Peter Marx, owner of Saks Jandel, a D.C. area boutique, told PEOPLE that there have been fewer people seeking inaugural gowns.

“There’s never been less demand for inaugural ballgowns in my 38 years,” Marx told PEOPLE.

“Never ever has it been less for the inaugural.”

Crocodile

For the future, when I'm calling my reps, should I be "polite and very concerned" or "enraged with the fury of 1000 suns"? I went with the former but thinking about it maybe I should have gone with the later?

For the future, when I'm calling my reps, should I be "polite and very concerned" or "enraged with the fury of 1000 suns"? I went with the former but thinking about it maybe I should have gone with the later?

Be polite, it helps build a relationship with the aides (who are often non-political and just want a job).

Other than almost every House Republican voting yes until the news broke and everyone got mad, sure thing.

119-74 is not "almost every House Republican", it's about 60-40. Republican leadership is allowed to leverage public sentiment and media attention to get their way too.

With this why bother attitude, I wonder if anyone will even vote in 2018.

If you don't see a meaningful distinction between stopping proposals that Republican leaders don't want to pass and stopping proposals that Republican leaders do want to pass, that's your problem not mine.

Republican leadership supported privatizing Social Security in 2005 when they had the same level of control as now.

And then voter anger caused them to abandon that plan.

The future direction of the Democratic Party is important, but I don't think rehashing the primary is really all that useful for that discussion. Neither candidate is going to be the nominee in 2020 nor does either really represent the way forward, in that both had difficulty appealing to parts of the Democratic coalition (among other flaws). It's why I find the "social vs. economic issues" discussion frustrating. You need both and they're intertwined anyway (e.g. racism is a big driver of opposition to social programs from people who themselves benefit from them).

Some discussions tangentially related to the primary (say, why Tulsi Gabbard is not progressive and should not be a future leader) may be useful, but endless Hillary vs. Bernie arguments? Not so much.

IrishNinja

i just saw that Shaun King went to TYT...whyyyyyyyyyy

camp legacyzero will be giving lectures on how y'all done fucked things up for the one true king well into 2018 at this rate

Republican leadership supported privatizing Social Security in 2005 when they had the same level of control as now.

And then voter anger caused them to abandon that plan.

That shit was unpopular on arrival from what I remember. Bush was really the only one I remember who was out there pushing it hard; I don't recall House/Senate Republicans being well unified in support of it.

If your point is merely that citizens can make a difference in how or whether Congress will vote on certain bills, sure, I don't disagree. But those kind of incidents are fairly uncommon and usually restricted to big ticket items that enrage huge swaths of the general population.

I get that Trump being President really sucks but there's no reason for us to throw away our sense of political nuance or perspective. For example, I'm still interested in hearing your explanation of how a 119-74 vote translates to "almost every House Republican".

I know it's easier to treat Republicans as a monolithic block of evildoers but the fact of the matter is we're going to need the help of moderate Republicans to block Trump appointments and legislation.

I thought the ethics vote needed 218 yays to close the office so that's why I assumed the overwhelming majority of republican house members vote to close it.

But... I mean, getting rid of food stamps is unpopular too, we should still call congressmen when they come for food stamps even though the GOP leadership is on board with that idea.

I thought the ethics vote needed 218 yays to close the office so that's why I assumed the overwhelming majority of republican house members vote to close it.

But... I mean, getting rid of food stamps is unpopular too, we should still call congressmen when they come for food stamps even though the GOP leadership is on board with that idea.

My intention was not to try to discourage people from calling congressman at all; arguably everyone should do that more, even for uncontroversial things. I only wanted to provide some perspective on how reliable/effective of a tool it is. The Republicans aren't going to back down as easily on the things they actually want to do, like expediting Trump's appointment confirmations for example.

As to the vote, it never actually went to the floor as I understand. It was just an internal Republican caucus vote on whether they wanted to bring it to floor.

kirblar

i just saw that Shaun King went to TYT...whyyyyyyyyyy
Shaun King is pretty awful. It's not his politics, it's him, but the nasty racist crap hurled his way by the far right has let him lump the two together to deflect the legit issues when they've arisen.
How can smart people be so stupid?
Because the actual smart people aren't following far left economics/theory.

IrishNinja

Shaun King is pretty awful. It's not his politics, it's him, but the nasty racist crap hurled his way by the far right has let him lump the two together to deflect the legit issues when they've arisen.

aw man, for real? you got any details? ive totally followed dudes on twitter that've turned out to be hoteps or on some bullshit that i'd missed elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom