• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Unveils iOS/Android Line-Up, Including Demon's Score From Epic Games

Nirolak said:
To add to this, my guess is that it's Epic Games Tokyo, because Cliffy was hinting they wanted to make games out of that office some day.

Ahh, I forgot that they had a Tokyo studio! Now it all makes sense.

dolphx

Neo Member
What's with chrono trigger? Will that also be for android? That would be so awesome!
Those games look really good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dolphx said:
What's with chrono trigger? Will that also be for android? That would be so awesome!
Those games look really good.
Everything in the OP will be for both Android and iOS, including three other games that are only in the text list from duckroll.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ahh, I forgot that they had a Tokyo studio! Now it all makes sense.
Yeah, it was a pretty low key announcement.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
Everything in the OP will be for both Android and iOS, including three other games that are only in the text list from duckroll.

While I think that's safe to assume, the actual list of 11 titles I posted are specifically part of the S-E Market line-up, which is Android. This was their big announcement for the conference: Android support and a portal app.

The 3 new title announcements (Remade FFL, Demon's Score, Million Arthur) are iPhone/Android announcements. The rest are Android games for now (some are already out on iOS).

CamHostage

Wow at Demon's Score, very unexpected. I was going to ask whether it was just a guess that Epic was developing given that the logo is on the announcement slide, but babelfishing the Dengeki write-up makes it pretty clear that it's Epic. (There's some Square producer though, right?) I assume this is why Epic set up a development office in Japan last year?

duckroll

CamHostage said:
Wow at Demon's Score, very unexpected. I was going to ask whether it was just a guess that Epic was developing given that the logo is on the announcement slide, but babelfishing the Dengeki write-up makes it pretty clear that it's Epic. (There's some Square producer though, right?) I assume this is why Epic set up a development office in Japan last year?

I take the effort to detail information originally in Japanese so people don't have to make guesses or use machine translations, I would really appreciate it if people actually end up reading the information provided. :(

Nirolak said:
To add to this, my guess is that it's Epic Games Tokyo, because Cliffy was hinting they wanted to make games out of that office some day.

That makes sense. If Demon's Score does well- and Infinity Blade certainly did well for Epic, so I see no reason why this couldn't have similar success- I can see Epic Tokyo and Square having a fruitful relationship with this mobile strategy.

Square need to be buying into this market hard- their games suit it, it's not like RPGs lose much in a touch-only format- so it's good to see them getting stuff like this out the door.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nirolak said:
Demon's Score

08_px2408p65.jpg

They should rename it Inifity Ass.

CamHostage

duckroll said:
I take the effort to detail information originally in Japanese so people don't have to make guesses or use machine translations, I would really appreciate it if people actually end up reading the information provided. :(

Oh, I'm well aware the quality of your posts, it just came up after I came here from another source. (Thanks to all involved in the thread, by the way!)

duckroll

CamHostage said:
Oh, I'm well aware the quality of your posts, it just came up after I came here from another source. (Thanks to all involved in the thread, by the way!)

Well, the question you were asking is already answered in the first post. :(

Dali

Curious to see what the gameplay is like for Diffusion Million Arthur. Animation by JC Staff means it probably won't matter; I'll be getting it anyway. Glad to see SE is finally giving Android some love. I've been wanting to play Chaos Rings since it was released.

edit:

Oh... card battle. Sorry JC Staff. You'll be flying this one solo.

atre324

definitely needs more details on Demon's Score... I'm so ready for another ios unreal game with tons of polish. Right now, I'll be happy with just some sort of RPG elements lol

so basically they'll have a "Square Enix Appstore" app on android we have to use?

that makes it sound like Vita support (PS Suite certification) isn't likely, and they're going to keep it through their app only.

Lesiroth

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so basically they'll have a "Square Enix Appstore" app on android we have to use?

that makes it sound like Vita support (PS Suite certification) isn't likely, and they're going to keep it through their app only.
Well, there's no reason they would want to miss out on a whole system, but this is Square, so anything goes I guess.

Lesiroth said:
Well, there's no reason they would want to miss out on a whole system, but this is Square, so anything goes I guess.

if there's a way to make an android app ONLY compatible with a specific device but it also be PS Suite certified, then i can see how they would release them. otherwise they would just go through PSN.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Demon's Score will be one of the very best looking games for Android.

It'd probably play well on an OMAP4 phone.

Carlisle

SmokyDave said:
On the retina display, I actually like the ultra-clean 'flash' look :(
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see the 'ugly' at all and was starting to question my vision. Glad I'm not alone. Guess I'll never be a game artist though :/

Cipherr

Durante said:
SE stock up 5%.

I'm happy to see they're supporting Android equally, since I'll never buy an iOS device.

I think anyone planning to take it seriously has to at this point. Android is growing so quickly. Both iOS and Android really, but especially Android, its marketshare is growing very quickly. Cant ignore that.

BlazingDarkness said:
Will all of this be released outside of Japan?

iOS and Android, so Im expecting anyone can access it anywhere.

Momo said:
Why is this so god damn ugly?

Its not, it looks fine.

SE does what nintendont.

looks great. I have to play my copy of chaos ringHD still. Can't wait for FFT+ChronoTrigger

OP kind of missing this:

fft_screen020-525x393.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That's a lot of content, I hope there's a serious commitment regarding localizations. It's interesting to look forward to an endeavor like this considering that, not so long ago, Japanese mobile game announcements meant we'd never be able to play it (due to hardware/OS differences, etc).

Yoshiya

Demon's Score just became my most wanted iOS game, though Arthur, FFT iPad and Chaos Rings 2 are are all still upcoming must-buys. They have a great lineup, so I hope it pays off for them.

JCreasy

Demon Score eh? Is this being developed by Chair proper, or that Epic Japanese off-shoot?

If it's Chair, that means they've essentially abandoned Shadow Complex 2, which is very telling and HILARIOUS!

08_px2408p65.jpg

dream

What exactly is Demon's Score? I see people talking about it being their most wanted iOS game and I keep re-reading duckroll's OP but I have no idea what this game is.

jgwhiteus

Since this sort of relates to the Nintendo smartphone thread, note that the games are pretty much text and menu-based RPGs - i.e., games that don't require control precision and can be played fine with a touchscreen even by people with big thumbs. They don't look like platformers, action-adventure, etc. (I could be wrong, though that's not S-E's strength anyway).

Although Chrono Trigger at least has some portions that benefit from more precise controls - i.e., trying to go up that snowy mountain with the wind. Chrono Trigger kind of surprises me, but maybe S-E thinks they've milked the property for all it's worth with the DS and VC releases.

Actually, any word on pricing? Is the "Square Tax" company really going to release their games at $1, or does a "portal" mean they're going to try to maintain some brand cohesion and charge a premium? EDIT: nevermind, free to play model with microtransactions. Yeah, I doubted they were going to let everything go at $1. I mean, FFIV-After Years (which originally started as a mobile game) was something like above $30 for all content when all was said and done.

dream

I dunno, I played Secret of Mana on my iPhone, a game that inherently requires more precise controls, and it felt fine to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JCreasy said:
Demon Score eh? Is this being developed by Chair proper, or that Epic Japanese off-shoot?

If it's Chair, that means they've essentially abandoned Shadow Complex 2, which is very telling and HILARIOUS!

http://www.abload.de/img/08_px2408p65.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's currently unclear.

08_px2408p65.jpg

GOD DAMMIT CLIFFY.

Also, I have my doubts this is coming to Android like the others, as Mark Rein has said Epic has been unable to get UE3 running on all platforms, and he hates the Android Market.

creid

Are those screenshots at tablet resolution, or "you'll never actually play the game at this resolution" resolution?

Nirolak said:
It's currently unclear.

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be the Japanese developer if it's being published by S-E? Wasn't Infinity Blade self-published? Because I'm curious why Epic would need a publisher for iOS.

And I'm happy about Chrono Trigger. Hopefully not more than $15. Never got to play it before and at this point I'm not buying it for my old phat DS (or for 3DS, which I may or may not buy at revision.)

Durante

creid said:
Are those screenshots at tablet resolution, or "you'll never actually play the game at this resolution" resolution?
The largest are 800x480, which is smartphone resolution. Tablet resolution would be larger.

(The demon's score screenshot is a bullshot though)

Due the conference they also made it very clear that they want to port these games to consoles, don't be amazed to see chaos rings end up on vita or some other download service.

Top Bottom