• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Ixion

Giving Black Metal a zillionth chance by listening to some Mayhem.
I like it more than most stuff I've listened to this far, don't love it though.

If you're talking about old-school Mayhem, that's good stuff but it's pretty straightforward Black Metal. So I wouldn't say they're a good band if you're trying to ease into the genre.

To get someone into Black Metal I think the best approach is to listen to the bands that emphasize the atmospheric aspects, since it's the dark/epic atmosphere that really separates Black Metal from other genres. So I'd say a band like Summoning would be a good choice.

If you're talking about old-school Mayhem, that's good stuff but it's pretty straightforward Black Metal. So I wouldn't say they're a good band if you're trying to get into the genre.

To get someone into Black Metal I think the best approach is to listen to the bands that emphasize the atmospheric aspects, since it's the dark/epic atmosphere that really separates Black Metal from other genres. So I'd say a band like Summoning would be a good choice.
.......what?

I would say the bands that defined black metal as we know it are the way to get into the genre, vs. a weird band that defines a niche of it

"Slayer isn't a good way to get into thrash, you should check out Watchtower"

Ixion

.......what?

I would say the bands that defined black metal as we know it are the way to get into the genre, vs. a weird band that defines a niche of it

"Slayer isn't a good way to get into thrash, you should check out Watchtower"

My point is that the atmosphere in Black Metal is its greatest differentiator. Personally, Black Metal didn't click with me until I heard Atmospheric Black Metal, because it emphasized that aspect. I got the appeal more clearly. Then I branched out from there. So I figured it was worth it to recommend that approach.

If you're talking about old-school Mayhem, that's good stuff but it's pretty straightforward Black Metal. So I wouldn't say they're a good band if you're trying to ease into the genre.

I think that aspect has been a big reason why I haven't been able to get into black metal. I just don't get it, early Mayhem I get, though after looking up their history apparently black metal just isn't for me.
because I'm black

Some of my black metal favorites just in case you haven't heard em.

Emperor - Beyond The Great Vast Forest

Windir - Arntor, ein windir

Dissection - The Somberlain (best metal song ever? it just might be)

Rotting Christ - Fgmenth thy Gift
I like Windir and Dissection, don't love em but can appreciate it

I think that aspect has been a big reason why I haven't been able to get into black metal. I just don't get it, early Mayhem I get, though after looking up their history apparently black metal just isn't for me.
because I'm black

I like Windir and Dissection, don't love em but can appreciate it

There is unfortunately quite a lot of racism in the black metal community so I get where you're coming from.

If you like Windir, you might also consider Vreid which rose from its ashes after Valfar died. I would recommend starting with Milorg which tells the story of the Norwegian resistance movement that stopped the Nazi nuclear program.

My point is that the atmosphere in Black Metal is its greatest differentiator. Personally, Black Metal didn't click with me until I heard Atmospheric Black Metal, because it emphasized that aspect. I got the appeal more clearly. Then I branched out from there. So I figured it was worth it to recommend that approach.
That's fair, but at that point you're saying "check out this style instead" vs "this band will get you into black metal". If someone isn't digging the straightforward stuff then something quite different won't necessarily change that opinion

because I'm black
I never got into Mayhem back then; of the big second wave BM bands I was mostly into Darkthrone and Ulver. But ya, early Mayhem wouldn't have welcomed either of us.

There is so much variety in what's considered BM that you'll probably stumble across something you like eventually.

That's fair, but at that point you're saying "check out this style instead" vs "this band will get you into black metal". If someone isn't digging the straightforward stuff then something quite different won't necessarily change that opinion

I tried a lot of black metal but never really appreciated it until I found a gateway from Gothic Metal through Tristania and got introduced to Satyricon's Dark Medieval Times.

e_i

I plan on buying these band's upcoming albums:

Pillorian
Nova Collective
Pallbearer
Uptown (Pelican guartist)
Crystal Fairy

Will definitely go through all the suggestions here since I'm kinda starting to get it. Checking out Bathory right now though since a lot of black metal bands cite them as an influence and im really really digging it. I guess since thrash is my preferred genre and this has some of that old school influence.

Will definitely go through all the suggestions here since I'm kinda starting to get it. Checking out Bathory right now though since a lot of black metal bands cite them as an influence and im really really digging it. I guess since thrash is my preferred genre and this has some of that old school influence.

Bathory's style changed quite a bit. Which album are you listening to? Under the Sign of the Black Mark?

I liked Bathory's viking metal period especially Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart. I thought his later thrash stuff was boring and pretty much stopped after the first couple thrash albums.

Bitanator

Give "Blood Fire Death" a spin

Ravager61

Hvis lyset tar oss from Burzum is the album that got me into black metal. That and the first Ulver album. Maybe give those 2 a shot.

If thrash is your preferred cup of tea, I'd recommend you check out 1349's last album Massive Cauldron Of Chaos

Slaves

I enjoy all of their discography (mostly for the insanity that is Frost's drumming) but this album rules. Most of their material is all blasts all the time, MCOC focuses much more on varied songwriting. As a result it's a much thrashier album that builds to the blasts.

Hvis lyset tar oss from Burzum is the album that got me into black metal. That and the first Ulver album. Maybe give those 2 a shot.

I'll check out Ulver but I'm weary about supporting anything that's explicitly Varg's for the same reasons above

Pace 'Til Death was the first Bathory song I ever heard, Blood Fire Death is one of my all time favorite releases
I can see why. Some really really good stuff
If thrash is your preferred cup of tea, I'd recommend you check out 1349's last album Massive Cauldron Of Chaos

Slaves

I enjoy all of their discography (mostly for the insanity that is Frost's drumming) but this album rules. Most of their material is all blasts all the time, MCOC focuses much more on varied songwriting. As a result it's a much thrashier album that builds to the blasts.
Will do, thank you!

This is also how I got into black metal, Dissection notwithstanding.

But really, the key is to find stuff that isn't too lowfi because there's a fucking limit there. Some just seems to sound like shit for the sake of it.

As for tomorrow, I plan on picking up some Shadow of Intent (deathcore), Veldes (black metal), and Varang Nord (folk metal).

Doomshine

A lot of early or "traditional" black metal doesn't click for me, but I quite enjoy post-Pure Holocaust Immortal, especially At the Heart of Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CF9PeDAmZU

EDIT: oh and for Bandcamp on Friday, I'm considering:

Ænigma by In Vain https://invainband.bandcamp.com/album/nigma

Damned When Dead by Mael Mórdha https://candlelightrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/album/damned-when-dead

Citadel by Ne Obliviscaris https://neobliviscarissom.bandcamp.com/

and maybe some Argus, a nice epic doom metal band I first heard yesterday https://argusmetal.bandcamp.com/

Most consistent discographies in Metal?

I would say try to find bands with a higher quantity with also quality. Judas Priest is a good start.

I think of Priest as more of a "high highs" and "low lows" kind of band, but when you've been around as long as they have there's bound to be classic tracks for days.
"And all the pressure that's been building up
For all the years it bore the load
The cracks appear, the frame starts to distort
Ready to explode..."

I mentioned this earlier but I find a lot of German metal bands to be bastions of consistency. Rage, Stormwarrior, Accept, Grave Digger, Kai Hansen on vocals era Gamma Ray, Iron Savior, Running Wild. The Germans just don't stop!

Other bands that usually deliver: Falconer, Immolation, Persuader, Sabaton, Bolt Thrower, Marduk.

A lot of those bands definitely can be accused of making the same album over and over again, but in the immortal words of Yngwie: "How can less be more? More is more!"

Now get listening!

Iron Maiden '80-88

For me this is THE most legendary run of albums by a metal band.

Melchiah

These albums got me into Black Metal:

Venom: Black Metal
Bathory: Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Blasphemy: Fallen Angel of Doom
Beherit: Drawing Down the Moon
Darkthrone: A Blaze in the Northern Sky

It was a bit different era back then though.

Ohnonono

These albums got me into Black Metal:

Venom: Black Metal
Bathory: Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Blasphemy: Fallen Angel of Doom
Beherit: Drawing Down the Moon
Darkthrone: A Blaze in the Northern Sky

It was a bit different era back then though.

This. Also Drawing Down the Moon is just not mentioned enough in lists of essential black metal and I have no idea why.

obin_gam

For me, my first black metal experience was Watain - Sworn to the dark.
I like the more groovy side of bm, not much into the "crusty" side.

I'd say Darkthrone has the biggest discography that I actually will listen to in entirity. (Although I didn't buy the last album yet and I don't remember if I even streamed all of it.)

Blut aus Nort is another with a large discog that I mostly enjoy, but I streamed a little of their split with Aevangelist last year and didn't care for it.

As far as old DM goes, Death was probably the most consistently great imo.

I would say try to find bands with a higher quantity with also quality. Judas Priest is a good start.

What does consistent mean in this context? Same sound/style, or just generally perceived as good?

If its the first; AC/DC(okay, may not 100% metal but still) and Motorhead

If its the latter: Kill-Justice Metallica

Melchiah

This. Also Drawing Down the Moon is just not mentioned enough in lists of essential black metal and I have no idea why.

Agreed. It has a unique atmosphere, uncommonly low-tuned instruments, and a variety of vocal styles. Definitely one of my personal top BM albums.

EDIT:
For me, my first black metal experience was Watain - Sworn to the dark.
I like the more groovy side of bm, not much into the "crusty" side.

You might want to check out Tulus, Khold, and Mgla.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

> 10 albums

Summoning
Skyclad
Candlemass
Overkill (except for late-90's to early 2000's output, but they became consistently good again!)
King Diamond
Therion (been on a decline in the last decade though)
Behemoth
Grave Digger
Blind Guardian (up until the 2000's...)

Smaller discogs (<10) but very consistent outputs (at least so far, for those still active):

Deströyer 666
Melechesh
Mercyful Fate
Satan
Deceased
The Chasm
Type O Negative

Bitanator

> 10 albums

Summoning
Skyclad
Candlemass
Overkill (except for late-90's to early 2000's output, but they became consistently good again!)
King Diamond
Therion (been on a decline in the last decade though)
Behemoth
Grave Digger
Blind Guardian (up until the 2000's...)

Smaller discogs (<10) but very consistent outputs (at least so far, for those still active):

Deströyer 666
Melechesh
Mercyful Fate
Satan
Deceased
The Chasm
Type O Negative

Great post, after the slew of underwhelming comeback albums from NWOBHM bygones, Satan flipped that on its head and released a classic of metal in my opinion with Life Sentence

Watevaman

So I never really listened to Amon Amarth despite them being a staple in a genre I used to exclusively listen to, but their Hellfest show from last year popped up in my Youtube recommendations and I threw it on in the background at work. Some of this shit is pretty good, especially Guardians of Asgaard. The chorus riff is simple, but nice and heavy. I like.

So I never really listened to Amon Amarth despite them being a staple in a genre I used to exclusively listen to, but their Hellfest show from last year popped up in my Youtube recommendations and I threw it on in the background at work. Some of this shit is pretty good, especially Guardians of Asgaard. The chorus riff is simple, but nice and heavy. I like.
The first Amon Amarth album is awesome. I fucking jam to that a lot at work.

Great post, after the slew of underwhelming comeback albums from NWOBHM bygones, Satan flipped that on its head and released a classic of metal in my opinion with Life Sentence

Life Sentence is amazing, but I like Atom by Atom even more! Those dudes set the new standard for metal comebacks.

A friend brought over some vinyls yesterday, some old first presses he got recently

One was Kreator's Terrible Uncertainty. While he was looking through the liner notes he saw the "NO THANKS TO:" section which mentions posers, etc and ends with "faggots and gays for spreading AIDS"

Upon further searching this was apparently removed from all other pressings and there doesn't seem to be much of anything online over it.

Obviously people are dumb/young and can smarten up about that sort of thing but yikes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a less disappointing note yo this shit is tight (Seminal Enbalment, brutal death)

Top Bottom