• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The site itself can probably survive just fine off the strength of the other reviewers (Linkara, NC, and I believe Brad all get a very respectable amount of traffic, not to mention the scores of other reviewers). For Doug personally though...yeah, I don't know what this means for him. I HOPE Demo Reel will take off for him, but part of me thinks that NC was a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing that just happened to take off. Let's hope I'm wrong here.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered. Doug & Rob, NChick, and Todd all signed exclusivity deals with blip.tv about three months ago. So they're probably getting a good chunk of money from that too.

He's got more than enough money to retire at this point, that's not what I'm getting at. I'm saying whatever his next venture is will not succeed at all, let alone at the level TNC has. We'll see if he revives it a year from now given where he'll be at that point.

He cornered the market for online reviews in the way he had done it. He wasn't necassarily the best, but definitely among the most recognizable.

The other thing that made his act so successful was the fact that he was reviewing a movie that you yourself may type into google and say, hey I like this or hate this also let's check it out. I've never been interested in his side projects, not saying others haven't, but again they most certainly wouldn't have been as successful if he hadn't already established the site.

As for the rest of the reviewers, I'm sure Brad will continue on his own, but he doesn't need TGWTG, he's got his own site, and sure the site can survive, but it won't even be in the same conversation as what it once was.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah. It's actually evident in his later videos, so it's good that he's doing this.

Yeah. Plus you could tell he was really running out of stuff to do. Scooby Doo, Signs, Alien Resurrection, Mr. Magoo, Blair Witch 2, The Cell, etc. None of these really fit the profile of what he started out to do. It's a very good thing he's ending NC now.

Valhelm

contribute something
5e7rB.jpg

11/10

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, what?

It's late, clunky wording. I don't know how to get across what I mean... Maybe that, NC is too excitable. I don't want to turn this into NC vs. AVGN though, so I won't bring him into it further.

There were some videos, like Signs, where you could tell he was very passionate about the material that he was putting forward, but for the most part, he's been spinning his wheels for the past six months or so. I'd guess that Demo Reel will maybe be something like Brad Jones's show 80's Dan, i.e. a group of characters sitting around and talking about a film or whatever, though probably with more story and character development, given that I don't think he wants to continue doing the thing where he just sits there and talks about how bad something is. Still, I'll probably check out whatever it is he does next. I'd never try to defend his writing from any kind of objective standpoint, but I have some fondness for it, for whatever reason.

Man, all I really have left is Brad, now. I'm sure that Spoony'll take a few months to get to Final Fantasy XIII (with at least a month between each part), and nobody else on the site is all that worthwhile. Todd's alright, though his show's not particularly funny as much as it is analytical.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's late, clunky wording. I don't know how to get across what I mean... Maybe that, NC is too excitable. I don't want to turn this into NC vs. AVGN though, so I won't bring him into it further.

Excitable in what way? Are you confusing Doug's character to his stage character?

Really? Is he a multi-millionaire from TGWTG? I find that very hard to believe.

Yeah, no way he has enough money to retire. I'm sure he's probably gotten the richest of any of the "name" reviewers (unless Rolfe does even better). He has about triple the "likes" on Facebook that Spoony has, and Spoony has said that he ekes out a "modest" living, so I'd say that Doug probably does well, all things considered; still, rich he probably is not.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, no way he has enough money to retire. I'm sure he's probably gotten the richest of any of the "name" reviewers (unless Rolfe does even better). He has about triple the "likes" on Facebook that Spoony has, and Spoony has said that he ekes out a "modest" living, so I'd say that Doug probably does well, all things considered; still, rich he probably is not.

http://vator.tv/company/channel-awesome-inc

According to this, the company (not Doug himself, but Channel Awesome) made nearly a quarter of a million dollars in their first year of operation. Considering that was four years ago, and how little the site likely costs to run, I'd say they've made a pretty healthy chunk of cash. Not millionaires by any stretch, but they've done very well.

I stopped watching the videos regularly a long time back but enjoyed the occasional one I popped back in for. Nice to see them call it quits before they run it into the ground. Respect.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Most unfunny guy on the internet. Tries too hard to be Weird Al, and Weird Al isn't even funny to begin with. He's like the Chinese knockoff version of Waterworld that nobody asked for.

Nostalgia Critic was lame, as were all the Angry Video Game nerd knock-offs. He never had anything to add to the things he made fun of, they were funny on their own and he was simply commenting on the obvious.

Nostalgia Chick was the only passable thing about his website in my view.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
He has been horrible since day 1. Good riddance dude. You couldn't match AVGN.

Speaking of AVGN, can't wait for his movie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Christ, why does everyone keep comparing NC and AVGN, as though Doug was trying to be "another" AVGN? Also, people keep forgetting that Doug and James are good friends. James has been in all three of Channel Awesome's movies, and Doug is going to be in the AVGN movie as well. If James felt like Doug was trying to "rip him off", as it were, I'm sure he wouldn't be friends with the dude. For fuck's sake.

I think he always got a bad rap. For one, he was always compared to Rolfe, and, perhaps more importantly, NC went after bigger targets. AVGN reviews bad games that people have little nostalgia for. NC attacked movies people genuinely loved in their youth that were equally bad. No one is going to say "Rambo" was a good game, yet go look in the Lincoln trailer thread to see people trying, painfully, to claim that Hook and The Last Crusade are great movies. (spoilers: they are bad movies, despite what your pre-pubescent self will tell you).

NC was a decent writer, a pretty good performer/actor, and had good comic timing. Yes, he could be shrill at times, but the vitriol he received is ludicrous.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Christ, why does everyone keep comparing NC and AVGN, as though Doug was trying to be "another" AVGN? Also, people keep forgetting that Doug and James are good friends. James has been in all three of Channel Awesome's movies, and Doug is going to be in the AVGN movie as well. If James felt like Doug was trying to "rip him off", as it were, I'm sure he wouldn't be friends with the dude. For fuck's sake.
Are them being friends supposed to mean something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWunsTLYa0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They are comparable. Doug came after James. They are the most well known and longest running quirky YouTube reviewers.

Doug sucks compared to James at the core even in a video edited by James as seen above.

Wow seems like a lot of people hated him...geez.

Of course he embellished some of the "bad" points in things and yelled a lot...it was kinda the point.

and what the fuck does the AVGN have to do with anything? Lol...it's not a war.

Damn man can't people discuss things without going "...yeah but this is better"?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Would like to have seen it keep going. I enjoyed it. Would have liked to have seen more balance in reviewing good and bad. They say good stuff is boring, but a few of his reviews for stuff he enjoys still (like Hook) are funny enough.

NC is great though. Her review of Labyrinth is amazing.

Devastated to hear that Bum Reviews will be continuing.

Ultimadrago

Well Nostalgia Critic, when you first came around I enjoyed quite a bit of your earlier stuff. As time went on, I didn't enjoy it quite as much (some really bad episodes in between)
, but still had the occasional good laugh.

Best of wishes to Doug in future endeavors.

Devastated to hear that Bum Reviews will be continuing.

...dammit.

I loved his work and lately its been a bit crap with far too many crossovers, but it was quite interesting watching him every week and has had a few jokes here and there.

Shame that it's the end though

Kusagari

Honestly never really enjoyed his stuff, but, having seen some of his newer work, even I could tell it had gone downhill from the beginning.

Glad to know he realized that too and didn't keep milking it.

Chick and Todd are the reason I went to his site anyway and the reason I'll still go.

GavinGT

Banned
Good, he's been just coasting for like the past year. Besides, Rob is clearly the more talented brother.

I also feel like they've brought on way too many reviewers and really watered down the whole site. I mean, Diamanda Hagan, are you serious? There are maybe 5-6 reviewers that deserve to be kept around. Their most recent "movie" really highlights this - there are a few decent performances spread out between minutes and minutes of total shit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Among the new breed of Channel Awesome reviewers I have rather enjoyed Brows Held High done by Kyle "Oancitizen" Kalgren.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Good, he's been just coasting for like the past year. Besides, Rob is clearly the more talented brother.

I also feel like they've brought on way too many reviewers and really watered down the whole site. I mean, Diamanda Hagan, are you serious? There are maybe 5-6 reviewers that deserve to be kept around. Their most recent "movie" really highlights this - there are a few decent performances spread out between minutes and minutes of total shit.

Top tier:

Nostalgia Chick
Todd in the Shadows
Brad Jones
Obscuras Lupa
Paw
Linkara

Okay tier:

Angry Joe
Luke Mochrie
Benzaie
Sad Panda
Film Brain
MarzGurl
JesuOtaku
Blockbuster Buster

Who Gives a Fuck tier:

Everyone else

And even though Ashens doesn't have much association with TGWTG at this point, if we were to count him, he'd be on a tier way, WAY above everyone else. Best reviewer on the internet today.

Also on the subject of Rob, yeah, he pretty much stole the show as The Emperor in To Boldy Flee. As far as acting goes, he's WAY better than Doug.

Mr_Zombie

*vadernoooooo.jpg*

I remember learning about NC from NeoGAF - someone linked to his Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat review. I loved the series ever since. Sad to see him ending the character, but I can understand it. As many said already, his recent videos weren't as good as the ones he did at the beginning. :(

Oh well, at lest there's still Nostalgia Chick, Phelous, Linkara and the Cinema Snob to watch.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think it's really fair to judge anything on the anniversary specials, really. They're a lark and a fundraiser, not a serious attempt at film. They straddle a strange line between performance and criticism and I think for the most part they aren't trying to actually be what they criticize.

I enjoy NC, but really Lindsay Ellis and her team, Todd, and Brad Jones and his bunch are the important ones to me. Lupa is good too.

Honestly I can't understand how anyone can sit through a Phelous video, though. The writing's fine but the way a lot of people feel about Doug Walker's voice? I feel that way about Phelous'.

Mr_Zombie

Honestly I can't understand how anyone can sit through a Phelous video, though. The writing's fine but the way a lot of people feel about Doug Walker's voice? I feel that way about Phelous'.

I like his writing and that he reviews horror movies I would have never seen otherwise (Serbian Film, Human Centipede etc.), but I agree that his voice and sketches are annoying. And the use of weird sound effects.

I think he stopped at a good time. Like AVGN the reviews just went downhill but not to the point where it's unwatchable. Looking foreward to how the ''Demo Reel'' will turn up and maybe even for more NC once he has done some time off.

Even Spoony had success with his counter monkey series so it's interesting to see something new. I think Doug and Rob can do very funny stuff when they really get to it.

Endo Punk

Glad he is bowing out gracefully. I quite like the character but nothing more can be done with it as it's all been done.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't think it's really fair to judge anything on the anniversary specials, really. They're a lark and a fundraiser, not a serious attempt at film. They straddle a strange line between performance and criticism and I think for the most part they aren't trying to actually be what they criticize.

I only meant that the anniversary movies highlight the rift in talent. There are definitely some that are good reviewers but terrible actors.

The ones whose reviews I enjoy watching are:

Cinema Snob (always good, especially the midnight screenings with his friends)
Linkara (I don't like comics, but those Power Rangers videos are great)
Film Brain (I think he's really good at the whole 'reviewing bad movies' thing, with mostly good criticisms)
Sci-Fi Guy (I like his angle of analyzing the scientific authenticity of movies)
Mike J (he pulls off the 'I don't care' thing well, almost like a Norm McDonald)
Angry Joe (his opinions are often terrible, but at least his shows are well produced!)

And most of these guys have actual comedic timing, unlike Phelous. There's nothing worse than watching someone trying to be funny and failing.

Also, holy shit at Luke Mochrie being Colin Mochrie's son. That's as weird as when Lisa Foiles was on Angry Joe's show for like a month straight.

maharg

idspispopd
I had a total WTF moment when Luke being Colin Mochrie's son came up in To Boldly Flee. I seem to recall noting the name similarity, and I knew Luke Mochrie was in Canada for some reason (reference in last year's special maybe?), but I didn't think for a second that it might actually be the case.

Honestly I'm kinda disappointed they're apparently not going to do any more specials. I think they're fun, even if they are 'bad' in a lot of ways. I'll miss them. I really liked the mix of Star Trek and Star Wars references in this one in particular.

GavinGT

Banned
Honestly I'm kinda disappointed they're apparently not going to do any more specials. I think they're fun, even if they are 'bad' in a lot of ways. I'll miss them. I really liked the mix of Star Trek and Star Wars references in this one in particular.

I agree. I don't think they've had a good vehicle for their antics since Kickassia, but they're still stupid fun.

Anyone not watching Todd in the Shadows is doing it wrong.

Yep. Discovered Todd last year and never went back. He and Linkara are the only ones I regularly watch now. Suede too, but his updating is crazily slow; I loved his Pokemon the First Movie review with Jew Wario and Linkara, but if he sticks to his goal of reviewing all of them, we'll be here until the heat death of the universe.

Yeah, the specials are crap, but they're so fun I don't really care. Still need to watch To Boldly Flee though.

Top Bottom