• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

absolutely loved the x-wing mission, a star wars childhood wet dream just came true..

Now, please do a whole game. and a battlefield 1 vr mission in a tank.

It was a pretty amazing experience. Flying past a Nebulon B Frigate was pretty much a "SQUEEE!" moment for me. Incredibly satisfying, but, unfortunately, left me wanting a lot more. Hopefully they'll deliver. This just proves to me that the old X-Wing and TIE-Fighter games can have a second lease on life if redone this way for VR.

Ah, man ... Speechless ...

I can completely forgive the dodgy controls. And all the other dodgy aspects. That was an experience I won't forget in a hurry. It seems they really focused on what 'presence' can deliver, and it's an excellent VR showcase as a result. The whole point is "Just ... Being there!", where "there" refers to insane places you've always dreamt of setting foot, like the hangar and cockpit of an X-Wing.

On the one hand I appreciated that they let you dick around as much as you want at the end, and probably at the beginning too. But it also serves as a reminder that this isn't really even a tastelet (read: morsel) of a full game. Then again, what we're given does serve as a flag planted on the foothills of paradise. Getting there is surely just a matter of time now.

That splash screen ... I laughed a laugh I don't think I've ever laughed. It was like being part of a magic trick, and knowing you're being tricked, but unable to not be delighted. You clever, clever bastards ...

Is it just me or does the head tracking on the Pro feel a lot smoother and the visual sweet spot larger.

On the operating system and Driveclub the periphery feels much better than what it was. I will usually glance a lot in these and the mirrors felt much better as does the hud when glancing without turning your head. Driveclub even though visually doesn't really seem to have changed I tried a few tracks that were a bit sketchy and none of the issues I had before appeared, same goes for when the game is loading and you move your head about quick the distortion that use to happen now doesn't happen either. Tried Thumper but too worn out to try any other of the pro enhanced VR games.

Anyone have a list of Pro VR games so I can check the ones I do have?

Biplane mission was made for VR, give us that too EA ;)

I just want bloody War Thunder and Ace Combat, at least they won't gimp the experiences going by their demos.

On the operating system and Driveclub the periphery feels much better than what it was. I will usually glance a lot in these and the mirrors felt much better as does the hud when glancing without turning your head.

It sounds like they were using foveated rendering on base PS4 (just like Batman) but disabled it for the Pro. What it does is render the periphery at lower resolution or lower level of detail to use less resources. You won't notice if you look straight ahead all the time and move your head a lot but if you move your eyes then you would see the image looks a bit blurrier.

simtmb

A big concern from the PSVR hardware. I've been playing RE7VR and as you know, you move your head alot to look around. Lately ive noticed that while looking up and then tilting my head back down, I can hear the display part (where the screen is) of the unit "shift" a tiny bit.

Is that normal operation? Like I know when you click the button under the display, you shift it forward/backward and snaps into place but when it snaps into place, is it to stay locked 100% or still have some "space" to "shift" about. Hard to explain.

Im worried that since I've had family try it, I forget to tell them to move the back piece instead of the display when wanting to improve their visual display, and possibly damaged it.

So i've noticed they go for the display first to try to make the picture clearer but have to correct them by telling them not to do that and move the back piece up or down instead.

GAF, is it normal for the display to rock back and forth a little bit while gaming? Now its not something that affects my gaming. Nothing is changing how games play. Its move about me hearing the display move tiny mm fwd/bwd when looking up/down.

Maybe i never noticed and is normal?

Don't be too concerned. When it's locked in place, i don't believe it is firm enough to not move at all, but I'll see how mine is when i get home.

The visual guides while using it also show hands shifting and adjusting even the display bit to get a better image, so it's not something that isn't advised.

Greyvvolf

Looks like Bossa is going to fix Surgeon Simulator. The good news is that it should be an easy fix.
Hey everyone.

Poppy from Bossa Studios here, the creators of Surgeon Simulator.

We noticed quite a few posts on here about our VR game, Surgeon Simulator ER, and wanted to create a new thread to address the concerns, and also to let you know what we plan to do with the issues that many of you have raised with us. We have a message from Henrique Olifiers, the CEO of Bossa, right below. If you have any questions or concerns about the game, please ask.

Here's Henrique's bit...

Raise your hand if you got it wrong!

A childhood friend of mine had a saying that went like this: ‘Life is what happens when something you thought you nailed, goes wrong’. If that’s so, then game development is the closest analogy to living that there is, as things you thought were done and dusted come back to bite you a lot more than you’d like.

Case in point, our control scheme for Surgeon Simulator: ER on PlayStation VR. When we hit on the idea of ditching absolute tracking in favour of a relative one (in that when you move your hands X amount in real space, that translate into 2X on VR) we had found a great way of making the experience feel more ‘surgeony’, by taking players out of their comfort zones, requiring them to learn something new to deal with the game.

Great on paper, not so much in-game now it seems, as we have been getting a fair bit of feedback on this. When you’re immersed in an idea for as long as we have, it’s easy to lose perspective and make a error of judgement that someone looking with fresh eyes can immediately pick up on.

With our excuses out of the way, now it’s time to look into a proper fix. An easy one is to restore the absolute tracking of the hands just like we have on the Vive and Oculus versions, and roll it out to the PSVR as soon as possible. We’ll also tweak the ‘skeleton hand’ that appears when your virtual hand collides with an object, making it more gracious - meaning that your hand will need to get really stuck into something before you see the skeleton, as opposed to seeing it triggered upon every tiny collision.

In other words, yep, you are right: controls on the PSVR can be made way better with a few changes, and since this is the popular request, it’s our job to fix it (and do it quick).

Sorry for the trouble, don’t hate us for too long, we’ll get it right. And huge thanks for letting us know how to improve the game we love... After all, that should always be the number one priority in anything we do.

Cheers, Henrique and the Bossa team

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can't believe after all these years I finally got to fly a X-Wing.

It's hard to take in. I was there. I was actually in space with my hands on the controls taking out Tie Fighters and that bit when the Star Destroyer flew overhead. It was incredible.
I've finally lived out a childhood dream. It was fantastic.

I now want to build a full cockpit and fit it with a proper flight stick. My god it was awesome.

So... nothing happens with i click "Download" on the Star Wars VR mission.

BF updated.

Select VR Mission
Select Download

Hit X

Nothing happens

:|

Edit:
Went to store on PS4 - no download button - just START

Went to store on PC - add to cart - now downloading

WTF is this horseshit

If anyone gets SportsBarVR and wants to play with someone hit me up, I gotta get my $20 worth somehow, Pool and Air Hockey are awesome by the way. I wanna try shufflepuck, chess, checkers and ping pong with someone also no AI for that. It's kinda weird that we have such a big psvr community here on this OT but people don't seem to want to play with each other :/

Shoeless

I can't believe after all these years I finally got to fly a X-Wing.

It's hard to take in. I was there. I was actually in space with my hands on the controls taking out Tie Fighters and that bit when the Star Destroyer flew overhead. It was incredible.
I've finally lived out a childhood dream. It was fantastic.

I now want to build a full cockpit and fit it with a proper flight stick. My god it was awesome.

The part that completely blew me away was looking down on the cockpit controls, lower left, and seeing that little yellow button, hitting "x" to confirm pushing it, and watching that glorious, clunky old auto-targeting system scope that the pilots used during the Death Star trench run come sliding out of the left and in front of my face. I was so thrilled with that I crashed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The part that completely blew me away was looking down on the cockpit controls, lower left, and seeing that little yellow button, hitting "x" to confirm pushing it, and watching that glorious, clunky old auto-targeting system scope that the pilots used during the Death Star trench run come sliding out of the left and in front of my face. I was so thrilled with that I crashed.

I know. I was thrilling.

When you first hyperdrive or when you first get a tie fighter in your sites and turn around to chase them and finally take one out. Better then the movies because you are actually doing it.

I would pay big money to do the Trench run right now...

Porkepik

If anyone gets SportsBarVR and wants to play with someone hit me up, I gotta get my $20 worth somehow, Pool and Air Hockey are awesome by the way. I wanna try shufflepuck, chess, checkers and ping pong with someone also no AI for that. It's kinda weird that we have such a big psvr community here on this OT but people don't seem to want to play with each other :/
Hello you can add me if you like, Porkepik.

bumpkin

Son of a bitch! I put the Battlefront disc in to install the game and there's an update; a 23GB update. I started the download but after a half hour or so, it said it still had 13 hours remaining. It won't let me access anything network related without the update either.

If I download the X-Wing mission, will I be able to access it without installing the update?

My childhood dreams were finally fulfilled today in SWBF VR mission. I've waited so long for this since I was a kid, it almost brought a tear to my eye. The mission is so good, and I love the fact they let us horse around after it's done because I don't want it to end lol. The only downside I can see is that the controls aren't as good as Eve Valkyrie, they don't let us do rolls for whatever reason. Other than that I love it and I can picture myself playing it over and over for a very long time. It also looks very clean and crisp on the Pro. I will gladly pay top dollar for a full VR game of this.

So... nothing happens with i click "Download" on the Star Wars VR mission.

BF updated.

Select VR Mission
Select Download

Hit X

Nothing happens

:|

Edit:
Went to store on PS4 - no download button - just START

Went to store on PC - add to cart - now downloading

WTF is this horseshit
You need to download the VR mission DLC which is separate from the BF update in the store. You can find it in the Battlefront store page. Once you do that install it and restart your PS4 (it didn't work for me until I restarted my PS4 for some reason). Launch Battlefront and enjoy :)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
The Star Wars DLC has me really interested in the PSVR, but I have a question.

I have a really nice 7.1 setup in my gaming area and dont want to give that up for headphones. Is that an option? Anyone play Star Wars in a surround configuration?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I showed a couple people the title screen of X-Wing VR Mission and the X-Wing walkaround. They badly wanted to see the rest but are hopeless at games that use the DS4 so I played for them on the social screen. Minds were blown.

I have a really nice 7.1 setup in my gaming area and dont want to give that up for headphones. Is that an option? Anyone play Star Wars in a surround configuration?

The PS4 still outputs audio to speakers but I don't know if it's a good idea because of lag and how good the binaural encoding is.

You are fine, you still get the directional 3D sound, it is just not as effective as it is with headphones. As you turn your head around, you will hear the sound behind you shifting to different speakers and stuff (the direction the sound is coming from). It is still good, and will sound pretty much what you are used to, it is just more effective with headphones.

Honestly, I hardly ever use headphones while playing my PSVR because my kids are always playing with me and they want to watch and see what is going on.

I'm getting ps vr for Xmas and my brother is interested in getting me a game for it. I've already picked up some and would like to know which is recommended - ps vr worlds, eagle flight or Robinson the journey.

Thanks!

Whats the best place to buy a PSVR? Theres one Gamestop with it in stock but I'd rather not drive 40 miles. Target, Walmart, other Gamestops, Best Buy, etc all sold out. Is it restocking soon?

thesnowman

Neo Member
My wife has got me a PSVR for Christmas, but reading your accounts of playing the Star Wars VR mission has made me want to go and grab it from the closet and play it now. Dont even have the game for the ps4 (got BF for xb1), so got to get that as well. Sounds amazing.

Whats the best place to buy a PSVR? Theres one Gamestop with it in stock but I'd rather not drive 40 miles. Target, Walmart, other Gamestops, Best Buy, etc all sold out. Is it restocking soon?

It's weird. I think the word of mouth combined with modest shipping has lead to the current situation. I was seeing them everywhere the first couple of weeks. Now? Zilch.

Had $10 credit on PSN lying around and went ahead and got Werewolves Within. We keep trying to play Quick Match but the game just goes to a black screen with the background sound effects playing and freezes.

😬

Edit: now it just blacks out, flips to empty lobby, blacks out, flips to another empty lobby etc.

I take it no one is playing this on any platform at all?

Kalentan

Though I thought Werewovles Within would be cheaper... Watching a twitch stream of it makes me really want to get it. Really a social game.

It's weird. I think the word of mouth combined with modest shipping has lead to the current situation. I was seeing them everywhere the first couple of weeks. Now? Zilch.

They were readily available at stores up until about Thanksgiving. I don't think stores have restocked since Black Friday.

jobrro

Connected my VR for the first time in a couple weeks to play through Battlefront VR. Really cool. Would love a full title with quite a few missions. Some comfort options to enable some extra speed on the X-wing would be great too, I have tried all the launch demos and VR hasn't made me sick yet even on Driveclub and Scavenger's Odyssey so would be nice to push it a little more. Should be able to play through a few more times to try for a higher score.

Also tried the CoD VR game which was free even though I don't own the game, also pretty cool though not as long as the X-Wing mission. Space games suit VR very well. Hope we get a fully fledged one in the future (EVE was supposedly lacking i content).

Think there is one or two PS+ games with VR support this month too, should probably give them a try.

Still need to finish off the last two worlds of Tethered, give VR World's some more playthroughs, try a couple of other VR demos that have recently released... Regular gaming has been sucking up my time recently between Watch Dogs 2, Pokemon and now The Last Guardian but I hope to get back into the VR bubble more again soon.

Just got out of my x wing... I almost cried lol
The music, the graphics... the experience! It was everything I've ever wanted. I need the Star Trek game and a full VR Star Wars game like yesterday please.

Man, quite enjoyed the Battlefront VR mission but for the first time with PSVR I experienced some moderate motion sickness. Hoping I'll be ok if a fuller experience comes out down the road

sajj316

Who here tried to hit the thrusters close to the Destroyer to see if they can quickly evade it before crashing? My goodness .. never experienced anything like that before. Took down a ton of fighters and went to high five my R2 behind me ..

So Werewolf is good eh?
PSVR Reddit is going wild about it.

Anytime I have played Werewolf with friends it never goes well. Gotta really commit to acting your role (or bluffing your role).

Kalentan

So Werewolf is good eh?
PSVR Reddit is going wild about it.

Anytime I have played Werewolf with friends it never goes well. Gotta really commit to acting your role (or bluffing your role).

It's a bit more expensive than I hoped but I'm going to get it. Looks like a ton of fun and the cross play with Rift and Vive will hopefully ensure it has a player base.

AlexIIDX

Holy shit, im pretty impressed with the RE7 demo. Didn't expect it to look this good and im on regular ps4. Idk if i'll be able to handle this lol. The sense of dread waiting for something to pop out is gonna kill me....Really amazing peaking around corners and examining things up close though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom