• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahtzee: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Hurt Nintendo Fans

It's weird that he felt the need to defend his shtick of nitpicking games, but weirder that they are taken as serious critiques by people.

P.S. KI:U is fantastic. :p

WillyFive

I found Yahtzee funny when his reviews first started to circulate around the net, but once I noticed that all of his reviews were written to be negative, the schtick got old really fast.

It's not really something to get mad about since it's really supposed to be comedy, and not an honest opinion or review of a game.

ARGUING ABOUT JOKE CHARACTERS!!!! RAAAAAGH!!!

Actually, it's a bit more meta than that. It's peoples' reactions to his obviously tilted review mechanism.

Imagine if Top Gear gave negative reviews to all cars, but Ford owners called him anti-Ford.

It's funny to sit back and watch them over-react, while everyone else takes it in stride.

It's weird that he felt the need to defend his shtick of nitpicking games, but weirder that they are taken as serious critiques by people.

P.S. KI:U is fantastic. :p

The escapist has been low on funds for a while. An additional article on it will get more page views, therefore more revenue.

Funny how Yahztee's reviews become an issue only when he reviews Nintendo games; not when he criticizes God of War, Uncharted, BioShock, Call of Duty or any other popular franchise.

So what is it exactly about Nintendo products that gives them immunity to critical review?

No, he's shitted on plenty of games I've liked. But I if I am looking for an opinion on a game, I'll hold his opinions in greater esteem than the people who think his opinions count for nothing.

Reviews are supposed to be objective. You can criticize, but criticize doesn't mean to say foolish things

MMaRsu

Banned
I agree the fact that there's fanboys with wrong behaviour... but judging a game because "you saw it". It's just as wrong
May I remember you that video games are supposed to be played ?

Yes and can i remind you that you can watch videos of how said gameplay is? Im not trying to argue.

I cant believe people here are shitting on ZP though..his videos are funny and he doesnt cater to publishers so its like his twisted reviews but with a solid base. Calling him a moron is quite dumb actually.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Kid Icarus was the game that debuted the 3DS. Before it came out, it was what everyone wanted, saying the graphics made it better than the 360. The launch window came and went without it. People wondered where it was. They PINED for it. The game wasn't allowed to be bad or have any flaws.

Hahaha, what

Beth Cyra

Funny how Yahztee's reviews become an issue only when he reviews Nintendo games; not when he criticizes God of War, Uncharted, BioShock, Call of Duty or any other popular franchise.

So what is it exactly about Nintendo products that gives them immunity to critical review?

No, he's shitted on plenty of games I've liked. But I if I am looking for an opinion on a game, I'll hold his opinions in greater esteem than the people who think his opinions count for nothing.

One Yahtzee does make a joke to go after Nintendo fanboys to make things worse, he isn't even shy about This. Two of course it does't, and beyond that Yahtzee himself has actually made jokes about Xbox Fanboys (defending Wasps if they nested in an Xbox) and Sony Fanboys with jokes.

All three are extremely bad, but labeling anyone group and just saying Nintendo Fans, Sony Fans, or Xbox Fans are like that as a whole is stupid and just as childish as what some really stupid people are doing to Yatzee.

Conor 419

Banned
I disagree with Yahtzee here, but I still really enjoyed his review, and have enjoyed all of his others. He's a clever guy, one whose opinions I appreciate seeing.

Riposte

I imagine if Yahtzee ever reviewed God Hand, he would have pulled an IGN and people would think it was "fresh". It is more or less what he did with The Witcher 2, cry how confusing it was. Dude is complete trash at videogames, nearly Sterling tier (Mr. "Kirby has perfect difficulty"). Maybe despite that he can say something correct in a funny manner (when he isn't over-blowing things to the point of falsehood, e.g. Monster Hunter Tri), but I'm not going to give him a pass because he speaks in a funny way. It is pretty shameful people like to act tough on game journos, but do give him a pass.

MMaRsu

Banned
You were trying to say a review was right and that people were defending a mediocre game because it was Nintendo, and offered up a single gameplay video as a reason.

So, yes, you kind of were.

Nope. I was saying these particular fanboys are stupid enough to take his opinions so serioudly. Im not saying they are invalid because the game probably isnt that great. And i said gameplay VIDEOS. Not a single one. Why u mad tho?

I agree with him on the controls. This game was ripe to be an instant classic but was hindered by an extremely awkward control scheme. I managed to use it okay (with the stand) but I'd give anything for a complete revised control setup. Flying segments could have been like SF64 and on-foot segments could have been like any third person shooter.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I agree with him on the controls. This game was ripe to be an instant classic but was hindered by an extremely awkward control scheme. I managed to use it okay (with the stand) but I'd give anything for a complete revised control setup. Flying segments could have been like SF64 and on-foot segments could have been like any third person shooter.

How isn't it like that currently?

Yeah, I've always felt that way when dealing with some Nintendo fans.

I get tired of it with all of you.

You'll have one person say something stupid in a thread, and then 30 fanboys calling out that one person like it's endemic.

Sony, MS, or Nintendo. If you become invested so heavily in these huge corporations that even the smallest slight against them is a personal bash to you?

You are a fucking idiot.

Just adding my +1 to "People still watch Yahtzee reviews?!"

Same for thatguywiththeglasses. I guess it's good for these guys, they've clearly found an audience and some financial success. It's just an appeal I can't really understand after half a decade or so...same ol' schtick.

Alchemy

I get tired of it with all of you.

You'll have one person say something stupid in a thread, and then 30 fanboys calling out that one person like it's endemic.

Sony, MS, or Nintendo. If you become invested so heavily in these huge corporations that even the smallest slight against them is a personal bash to you?

You are a fucking idiot.

I want to like this, but that monkey creeps the fuck out of me...

Nope. I was saying these particular fanboys are stupid enough to take his opinions so serioudly. Im not saying they are invalid because the game probably isnt that great. And i said gameplay VIDEOS. Not a single one. Why u mad tho?

But he's still dumb. In fact, I find dumb all those reviewers who make shitty reviews were they gives really low scores based on non arguments, to make them cool because they doesn't give high scores.
And as I said, you SAW the game. Seriously, how many time of gameplay did you watch ? I'm sure it's no more than 10 minutes.

MDSLKTR

Yeah because watching a video of a game is the same as playing the game.

I would watch and research info of a game and generally establish an opinion before playing it yes. On topic, I agree with him, some nintendo fanboys are mentally deranged.

I think you really would have had to tone the game down a lot to make it work properly with button controls for the ground segments.

Still funny to plenty of gaffers.

Except, no one visits his thread anymore, cuz gaffers got tired of it. Seriously, I'm not making this up. Check his thread, weeks go by everytime he reviews something, there's 1-3 comments for the review, and people move on.

It has nothing to do with hate, people just got tired of the same thing for 3 years. Hell, the angry game nerd has at least changed things up more than Yahtzee.

MMaRsu

Banned
But he's still dumb. In fact, I find dumb all those reviewers who make shitty reviews were they gives really low scores based on non arguments, to make them cool because they doesn't give high scores.
And as I said, you SAW the game. Seriously, how many time of gameplay did you watch ? I'm sure it's no more than 10 minutes.

Non arguments? Lol now im sure youve never seen a zp video. And youre allowed to call him dumb? He looks through most of the cookie cutter bullshit in games. Yeah hes bad at games but so what?

He doesnt even score them ffs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've been on the receiving end of viscous keyboard warrior Nintendo fanatics. All sides are bad, but in this age of the internet, I've found pissing off the Nintendo loons generates more backlash and attention than any.

Non arguments? Lol now im sure youve never seen a zp video. And youre allowed to call him dumb? He looks through most of the cookie cutter bullshit in games. Yeah hes bad at games but so what?

He doesnt even score them ffs.

As I said, I'm not talking about this man in particular, but all those reviewers who spit on games to be "cool".
This game got a 10 on IGN ? Let's give it a 2/10 ! Why ? Because it will makes me objective.

rCIZZLE

Doesn't mean you can't criticize them.

If they "got old" and he hasn't changed it since criticism is unlikely to do anything. These videos have been coming out long enough that it should be clear the goal is entertainment, not an in depth review.

Well, yes, that's the discussion we were having; that his GAF thread wasn't getting activity.

And I was asking the one guy, who has been taking a lot of shots at the reviewer, what his problem was. A variation of "his reviews are boring" doesn't seem like it's an appropriate response lol.

Beth Cyra

He does play a bit of a shell game where he claims not to hate them all at one time.

Not sure exactly what you mean here.

He has reviews up on his site of Nintendo published and developed games that he praises and recommends so clearly he doesn't just hate on them.

Does he say they are the greatest thing of all time? Nah, but then he doesn't need to, to praise a product.

BurntPork

Banned
This isn't even true and is likely the mindset that lead to this nonsense.

I have yet to see a positive one from him. The Wii reviews usually have half of the time dedicated to complaining about the console itself and Nintendo as a company. Frankly, I assumed his entire purpose was to troll for hits.

Why were they surprised? He hates on literally every Nintendo game, so i don't know why those fans watched the review in the first place.

I lol'd.

You have an extra word in there.
Take out 'Nintendo'.

That's why this discussion is here. It's not about him, per se, rather the Nintendo fanboy reaction to him, whereas virtually everyone else can handle a negative review on a game.

I've been on the receiving end of viscous keyboard warrior Nintendo fanatics. All sides are bad, but in this age of the internet, I've found pissing off the Nintendo loons generates more backlash and attention than any.

As you said, all fanboys are bad. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Pickle fanboys. Every fanboys.

Which seems to be what Yahtzee is going for, cuz then people are reminded he still exists and stuff.

I can't blame him for grabbing a ball and running with it.

Nope. I was saying these particular fanboys are stupid enough to take his opinions so serioudly. Im not saying they are invalid because the game probably isnt that great. And i said gameplay VIDEOS. Not a single one.
After watching his review im just surprised Nintendo fans still jumped on his back. Its annoying and disheartening. No ive never played ki but ive seen some gameplay vids and its not even that great.

Presumably if the gameplay videos were that great, complaints would be justified?

Nowhere in that quote is any indication of any view other than Nintendo fans shouldn't disagree with the review because the game isn't that good. If you didn't think it was relevant, you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Why u mad tho?

Well, that's me schooled. Bravo.

As I said, I'm not talking about this man in particular, but all those reviewers who spit on games to be "cool".
This game got a 10 on IGN ? Let's give it a 2/10 ! Why ? Because it will makes me objective.

Who are you talking about, who are you talking to, what are you talking about?

Beth Cyra

I have yet to see a positive one from him. The Wii reviews usually have half of the time dedicated to complaining about the console itself and Nintendo as a company. Frankly, I assumed his entire purpose was to troll for hits.

Only three things have ever come across as perfect from the man.

1. Portal
2. Columbo
3. Patrick Stuart

Some of the Nintendo games are certainly more postive then negative, check out Super Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi's Inside Story to see largly postive reviews.

How isn't it like that currently?

The awkward control setup is nothing like a 3rd person shooter. That is probably the most stressing control setup I've used in a game so far. If it wasn't for the amazing presentation and awesome flying sections this would be a horrible experience.

BurntPork

Banned
You have an extra word in there.
Take out 'Nintendo'.

That's why this discussion is here. It's not about him, per se, rather the Nintendo fanboy reaction to him, whereas virtually everyone else can handle a negative review on a game.

I lol'd again.

Only three things have ever come across as perfect from the man.

1. Portal
2. Columbo
3. Patrick Stuart

Some of the Nintendo games are certainly more postive then negative, check out Super Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi's Inside Story to see largly postive reviews.

Meh. I saw like three of his reviews, found them annoying, and then never watched again, so I just based what i said on what I've heard from friends in the past two years trying to get me to watch.

Lot of reviewers. Not only US but French too.

Can you link to one of this large number of bad reviewers who gave a ten game a two?

mad bonus points for the quotes from them about how it makes them cool. It obviously happens all the time since you're so outraged by the practice.

Top Bottom