• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah Generation X wasn't too hot, but I will say that Amilcar Pinna's stuff here is a step up from his stuff in All-New Ultimates. Maybe teen cape books aren't the best fit for him

Messi

Pretty much my thoughts.

Amilcar Pinna is on the art for Generation X at least till #3..sigh. His art isn't bad, but very underwhelming. Especially when the cover art is better.

Good luck getting Terry Dodson to do monthly ongoing artwork these days.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I had no idea Mike Mignola did an Alien comic.
3dSVbAJl.jpg

Has anyone read it before?

Damn, Makoma was so good.
That "friends giving themselves up for the last fight". Holy shit.
Done with Hellboy LE4. I think BPRD v1 is next in the reading order but have to catch up on some Astro City and Usagi Yojimbo before I get back to this.

Done with Hellboy LE4. I think BPRD v1 is next in the reading order but have to catch up on some Astro City and Usagi Yojimbo before I get back to this.

Makoma is so great. The actual myth that's told itself, but also the way it analogues the main narrative of Hellboy and his life and kind of makes you think: the way Makoma ends - is this how things might actually end? Really exciting in that regard. I also wonder if some of it is supposed to represent the time in Africa that they reference but never quite give you the full story on, but I'm not sure about that. I haven't reread it since that occurred to me.

Zombine

Banned
Why is Joe's art on Bloodspell so much more cleaner than his art on America?

coloring makes or breaks a book. The pencils on America are lovely!

One is an OGN he could take his time on and the other is a Marvel book. Bloodspell was a long time in the making.

He didn't have much time on the book as far as I can remember, he did have more time but he came on the title way later.

Messi

coloring makes or breaks a book. The pencils on America are lovely!

Disagree in general. It's pretty clear that he has to cut corners to hit a monthly schedule. Look at his bloodspell backgrounds vs America.

Joe Quinones: Following my work on “Wednesday Comics,” back in 2009 I was asked if I’d be interested in working on a book about Black Canary and Zatanna, written by Paul Dini. My interest instantly spiked, and I answered in a resounding “yes!”

4 years max. He didn't know he was doing America at nycc I am fairly certain. First issue was march and we know he didn't work on #1 for 4 months lol

When you do get to BPRD, just know the beginning is kinda rough. They go through a few creative teams that kinda range in quality (your fav, Geoff Johns was on an issue even iirc) till they settle on John Arcudi and Guy Davis.

When you do get to BPRD, just know the beginning is kinda rough. They go through a few creative teams that kinda range in quality (your fav, Geoff Johns was on an issue even iirc) till they settle on John Arcudi and Guy Davis.

Mmm there's only 3 or 4 trades in the entire Mignolaverse I'm not keen on and 2 of them are during Plague Of Frogs Hah. Volume 2, the soul of Venice and others, and the War On Frogs trade (these were the MySpace stories right?) And it's literally for this reason haha.

If you ignore the soul of Venice vol though, the Hollow Earth arc and Plague Of Frog arcs around it to kick off are awesome.

BC: More Marvel trades being liquidated.

Strip Panel Naked: Paper Girls
On this 'Strip Panel Naked', I look at the Image Comics' series Paper Girls. Written by BKV, with art by Cliff Chiang, it's a story that blends 80's sci-fi with time travel, technology and alternate worlds. It wouldn't be able to pull off any of it as successfully as it does without one key component, the colour work by Matt Wilson.

I dive into how Wilson uses a certain palette of complimentary colours, before bringing out key moments of surrealism with contrasting colours that don't exist otherwise in the palette. I explore a little more on how he uses pastel colours mixed with occasional moments of deep saturation for added emphasis, too.

Just saw an amazon ad for "The Flintstones and the Jetsons vol. 1" by Mike Carlin and... is this thing any good? I can't find any reviews so it's gotta be pretty new? Anyone here read it yet?

Mmm there's only 3 or 4 trades in the entire Mignolaverse I'm not keen on and 2 of them are during Plague Of Frogs Hah. Volume 2, the soul of Venice and others, and the War On Frogs trade (these were the MySpace stories right?) And it's literally for this reason haha.

If you ignore the soul of Venice vol though, the Hollow Earth arc and Plague Of Frog arcs around it to kick off are awesome.

Wow, rough books? Read-through cancelled.
:p

shingi70

Banned
"I think Brainiac gave Gorilla Grodd a smart helmet."

I so badly want to write a correction to them. lol

I could honestly see that used in a DCEU movie to explain Grodd.

The big telling thing would be to write in telling them to name at least ten marvel villains without dipping into Spider-man, Galactus, Ultron, or doom.

It also depends on age group. My girlfriends little brother is 4 and even before he met me, he knew who a good chunk of the D.C. Roster was just from watching Cartoon Network all day.

Yeah I liked Hollow Earth for sure, but a lot of the stuff in between that and Arcudi joining were just OK at best. Of course, it's very much worth sticking around for! Can't think of many books that can get to issue 147 and leave me wanting more.

I could honestly see that used in a DCEU movie to explain Grodd.

The big telling thing would be to write in telling them to name at least ten marvel villains without dipping into Spider-man, Galactus, Ultron, or doom.

It also depends on age group. My girlfriends little brother is 4 and even before he met me, he knew who a good chunk of the D.C. Roster was just from watching Cartoon Network all day.

I wouldn't have a problem with them not knowing but to say Marvel is better cuz they didn't introduce you to some obscure characters is just LOL.

Totally and it's probably worth mentioning for any would be entrants to the BPRD that might be reading, basically all of that not so good stuff pre Arcudi and Guy are side stories because they were looking for a main team to do the book, after the success of Hollow Earth. It's not like we're saying the main narrative starts off shit haha moreso just the early stuff they put out while they were looking to do the ongoing book are rough. When Arcudi and Guy come on, the book effectively starts,after Mike gave them the launching pad with the first story.

dan2026

I would love to hear how SNIKT is supposed to sound like.

It sounds like 90s comics personified.

SUPERMAN #29
Written by PETER J. TOMASI, PATRICK GLEASON and KEITH CHAMPAGNE • Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA—Cover by RYAN SOOK • Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
”FEAR ITSELF" part two! This looks like a job for...Sinestro?! Thrust into the anti-matter universe of Qward, Superman's only hope is the former greatest of the Green Lanterns!

Not sure I have ever seen Superman really interact with Sinestro.
This could be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom