• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

lucius

I really don't want a GameCube mini at this point, I would buy a SNES mini but I can't even preorder one, I tried going to Gamestop and paying in advance but even there you can't. It seems like they might be holding back Virtual Console things on Switch for this stuff, in the end scalpers are gonna benefit the most.

Clefargle

I asked this once before, didn't get an answer:

How "mini" could the N64 mini even be if it includes 4 player support? The linear configuration for the controller ports would require the ports to be squashed up next to each other and even then would probably make the unit larger than either the NES/SNES mini.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yes, I don't get the appeal, maybe because I already own the original hardware, but I don't want a bunch of systems hooked up to one TV.

I'm dying for virtual console games to come out on switch.

Malice215

How many people are really going to want a $100+ N64 mini, on top of going through the hassle of trying to get another limited production item? We're already at $80 for the SNES mini.

I just want the games on the Switch versus having to buy these different systems. If Nintendo had plans on making a N64 mini, then I would imagine that they would want to keep it a secret versus trademarking the controller logo this early. The Switch controller logo also being trademarked has me leaning towards VC.

How many people are really going to want a $100+ N64 mini, on top of going through the hassle of trying to get another limited production item? We're already at $80 for the SNES mini.

I just want the games on the Switch versus having to buy these different systems. If Nintendo had plans on making a N64 mini, then I would imagine that they would want to keep it a secret versus trademarking the controller logo this early. The Switch controller logo also being trademarked has me leaning towards VC.

The NES and SNES controller being trademarked also lends credence to that thought.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Yes, I don't get the appeal, maybe because I already own the original hardware, but I don't want a bunch of systems hooked up to one TV.

I'm dying for virtual console games to come out on switch.
If they use the actual N64 chipset but reduced in size to a SoC like the iQue, then I could easily see it being in higher demand than either the NES or SNES since the N64 is so hard to properly emulate. People are already shelling out a lot of money for RGB and HDMI mods on N64's so this would be a no brainer.

Considering the iQue was an official Nintendo product, I think there's a possibility this is the controller we could get. It's probably also worth looking at the library released for it as well.

If Nintendo were going to create a nostalgic mini version of a console that specifically has an unusual controller, why would they then use the controller from an obscure budget console they produced for China?

Also, isn't the only reason we're talking about an N64 Mini because Nintendo filed a trademark application for the original controller?

I asked this once before, didn't get an answer:

How "mini" could the N64 mini even be if it includes 4 player support? The linear configuration for the controller ports would require the ports to be squashed up next to each other and even then would probably make the unit larger than either the NES/SNES mini.

The 'controller ports' on the SNES mini are false- they fold down to reveal smaller ports. I imagine something similar would happen for an N64 Mini.
1498848320_screen_shot_2017-06-30_at_11.44.40_am.jpg

Clefargle

The 'controller ports' on the SNES mini are false- they fold down to reveal smaller ports. I imagine something similar would happen for an N64 Mini.

I get that, and I'm betting that they are the same (wiimote) connectors that the SNES and NES minis use. My question is more with how they will keep the four ports, size reduction, and shell design if they try to cram 4 wiimote connectors next to each other at that scale.

From my perspective it looks like they will either go with a smaller port (USB?) or use a slightly less reduced size compared to the other minis. I doubt they would fuck with the actual profile of the systems shell to accommodate them.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If we get a Gamecube mini at some point

Twin snakes probably wont end up on it - at a Guess

Probably too expensive. An equivalent chip or emulation and storage would have COGS nearlyu at 100$. Unless RetroPI stuff has reached GameCube performance.

Athreous

That's def. the mini controller!
Games that I'd love to see on the N64 mini:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask
007 Golden eye
Mario 64
Pokemon Stadium
South Park

maxcriden

use.png

The trademarks for the above Famicom, Super Famicom, Nintendo 64 and Nintendo Switch images are for the purpose of home video game machines in Japan. The Super Famicom D-Pad trademark is for a variety of merchandising purchases.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/163624363349

The GoNintendo.com article where I originally found this info speculated it may be related to VC and not Classics. I don't know really. It seems like it could relate to both.

chronomac

use.png

The trademarks for the above Famicom, Super Famicom, Nintendo 64 and Nintendo Switch images are for the purpose of home video game machines in Japan. The Super Famicom D-Pad trademark is for a variety of merchandising purchases.

The GoNintendo.com article where I originally found this info speculated it may be related to VC and not Classics. I don't know really. It seems like it could relate to both.

My gut says this is all VC related but I guess there's an outside shot where they connect the two - buying the SNES Classic, for instance, could get you versions of those games in the Switch VC with a code or something.

Honestly, I just want VC. I have little to no desire to buy little plastic consoles when I could have all these games loaded in the system I already own. It's far less wasteful, from a variety of standpoints.

use.png

Switch VC on Switch?
Switchception.

Celine

use.png

The funny thing about Switch is that Nintendo could sell custom made (I mean beyond the colors) joycons to earn more cash.
For example sell a pair of customized joycons shaped like the SNES pad.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On August 10, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in the US via the USPTO trademark applications for the Nintendo 64 controller and the Nintendo Switch controller. They also filed applications for the Famicom and SNES controllers however those are represented by photos and not drawings as with the EU applications. The new applications entered in TRAM (Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System) yesterday on August 14, 2017.

Regarding the Nintendo 64 controller application, here are the goods and services:

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Electronic machines, apparatus and their parts; Electronic storage media, namely flash memory for storing video game programs for computers; Electronic storage media, namely flash memory for storing video game programs for consumer video game machines; Electronic storage media, namely flash memory for storing video game programs for arcade video game machines; Electronic storage media, namely flash memory for storing video game programs for handheld game machines; Electronic storage media, namely flash memory for storing video game programs for smart phones; Smart phone cases; Computer peripherals, namely controllers and joysticks; Power supplies, cables and battery chargers for video game machines; Encoded integrated circuit cards (Smart cards) containing video game programs; Earphones for consumer video game machines; Microphones for consumer video game machines; Earphones for handheld units for playing electronic games; Microphones for handheld units for playing electronic games

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Consumer video game machines; Parts and accessories for consumer video game machines, namely protective carrying cases adapted for home video game machines; Controllers and joysticks for consumer video game machines; Protective carrying cases specially adapted for controllers for consumer video game machines; Fitted plastic films known as skins for covering and protecting controllers for consumer video game machines; Arcade video game machines; Parts and accessories for arcade video game machines; Handheld units for playing electronic games; Parts and accessories for handheld game machines, namely protective carrying cases and protective covers and stands; Controllers and joysticks for handheld units for playing electronic games; Fitted plastic films known as skins for covering and protecting liquid crystal displays for handheld units for playing electronic games; Video game controllers and joysticks for cellular phones; Card games and their accessories; Amusement machines and apparatus for use in amusement parks other than arcade video game machines; Sports equipment; Toys, namely plush toys, dolls, action figures, toy key chains, toy building blocks, collectable toy figures, party favors in the nature of small toys
Source: Search for serial number 87563819 here

Shiggy

Rösti;246171198 said:
On August 10, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in the US via the USPTO trademark applications for the Nintendo 64 controller and the Nintendo Switch controller. They also filed applications for the NES and SNES controllers however those are represented by photos and not drawings as with the EU applications. The new applications entered in TRAM (Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System) yesterday on August 14, 2017.

Regarding the Nintendo 64 controller application, here are the goods and services:

Source: Search for serial number 87563819 here

Can you share those photos? They also filed trademark applications for the NES and SNES controllers in Europe back in February (016361751 and 016361784). The application for the latter was withdrawn.

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLHB6B54RPTJLAT5WN6SW3PG4TEYOQGYAXME4WYL3B3WVQYPFPB44A

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLHB6B54RPTJLAT5WN6SW3PG4TEYGNNFZSXDQ4Y73IUMFKJ2QTZG2U

Widge

I'd love to see things like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on there, but not at their original framerates :(

I'm not a framerate snob but they were diabolical. PD was a slideshow on multiplayer with bots.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'd love to see things like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on there, but not at their original framerates :(

I'm not a framerate snob but they were diabolical. PD was a slideshow on multiplayer with bots.

I wouldn't worry about it, there's almost no chance we are getting these games to begin with.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Can you share those photos? They also filed trademark applications for the NES and SNES controllers in Europe back in February (016361751 and 016361784). The application for the latter was withdrawn.

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLHB6B54RPTJLAT5WN6SW3PG4TEYOQGYAXME4WYL3B3WVQYPFPB44A

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLHB6B54RPTJLAT5WN6SW3PG4TEYGNNFZSXDQ4Y73IUMFKJ2QTZG2U
It was a Famicom controller, not an NES controller, they filed a trademark for. Whether it's a PAL SNES or Super Famicom controller the other application is for I don't know. Here are the photos anyhow:

Top Bottom