• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Tovarisc

I know I'm like weeks late to this particular party, but today I looked into what Byf has been putting out over past few weeks and stumbled upon video about Guardians being 100% silent in Destiny 2.

I wonder what changed or went wrong in development of D2 if they had to cut out Guardian dialogue and new dialogue system that was confirmed and praised by Game Informer around D2's reveal?

Not looking forward badly written "funny and snarky" Nolanbot being our voice and character.

Part of me hopes Luke was just bluffing and lying in IGN answer, but that is false hope at best.

McArkus

I know I'm like weeks late to this particular party, but today I looked into what Byf has been putting out over past few weeks and stumbled upon video about Guardians being 100% silent in Destiny 2.

I wonder what changed or went wrong in development of D2 if they had to cut out Guardian dialogue and new dialogue system that was confirmed and praised by Game Informer around D2's reveal?

Not looking forward badly written "funny and snarky" Nolanbot being our voice and character.

Part of me hopes Luke was just bluffing and lying in IGN answer, but that is false hope at best.

Yeah, I hope so. Even if the dialog in destiny was bad, still added something, like the "conversation" with the exo stranger. If it is our guardian, I want it to have a voice, not just to stare silently as plot is happening around it and we know they have a voice from D1 and the grunts they make when getting shot. Don't want more of Gordon Freeman silent protagonist where the only feedback we get from him is the sound of his bones cracking or his HEV suit (ghost in our case).

IMO, I would rather be a silent guardian. When I first played destiny vanilla, I honestly thought we were going to be the bad guys and the ghosts were just telling us what to do like mindless zombies... and then I hit "I dont have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."

Then again, I'm a big fan of Bioshock 1 & 2.

Yeah, I hope so. Even if the dialog in destiny was bad, still added something, like the "conversation" with the exo stranger. If it is our guardian, I want it to have a voice, not just to stare silently as plot is happening around it and we know they have a voice from D1 and the grunts they make when getting shot. Don't want more of Gordon Freeman silent protagonist where the only feedback we get from him is the sound of his bones cracking or his HEV suit (ghost in our case).

Eh I'm for a silent protagonist in MMO type games. In fact, I don't even really like when some of the main NPCs refer to your character as special or anything since we know there are so many other players doing the same thing. Like in that beta story mission, someone refers to you as "That guardian you always talk about". Or in other MMOs where your character is like the hero meant to save the world, when you know that every other player is also that hero. I'd prefer if your character was just a side character of the larger plot.

But I suppose it is probably hard to write a story that actually takes into account all the other players in the game, make the player feel good about what they're doing, and also is interesting.

- Cornbread78
- iRAWRasaurus
- Beltharin
- milkham (will lead the troops, lol)
- shiv2099
- ErnieMcCracken

On deck: wipedout.

This is awesome!!! 11pm est tomorrow night. Party up a few mins before.

If you can get wipedout to sub in for me that would be cool. Not sure I'll make it through the raid since it sounds like it could take a while (especially for first-timers). Getting up at 4:30 in the morning for work sucks. Would be awesome to run this and WotM but probably need an earlier start on a Friday.

Does anyone know why Destiny 2 isn't getting them live action trailers it's predecessor got? I quite liked those

Both the D1 and Taken King live action trailers were released 5 days before D1 released and the TTK expansion came out respectively. If this holds up for D2 we will see a live trailer released on September 1st.

Also there was this tweet from Eric Hirschberg which has a photo of him on a very live action looking set.

https://twitter.com/erichirshberg/status/888468301621248000

Cornbread78

If you can get wipedout to sub in for me that would be cool. Not sure I'll make it through the raid since it sounds like it could take a while (especially for first-timers). Getting up at 4:30 in the morning for work sucks. Would be awesome to run this and WotM but probably need an earlier start on a Friday.

Damn, that sux. Whipeout said he could do it. Thanx for letting me know!

So we got the "Gone Gold" announcement without the...announcement.

In any case, good to know the pre-load will be up in plenty of time in relation to release.

Is it really a big deal? At this point, "gone gold" means the game is ready to be shipped and nothing more than that. And knowing Destiny 2, it'll be a different game in some aspects for year 2 and beyond.

Is it really a big deal? At this point, "gone gold" means the game is ready to be shipped and nothing more than that. And knowing Destiny 2, it'll be a different game in some aspects for year 2 and beyond.

No, never claimed it was but rather thought it was surprising considering how close we were to release that we hadn't heard anything regarding vanilla Destiny 2 being finished, ready to ship and pre-load in addition to the usual official announcement which is a huge milestone for the studio.

Yes, I think most realize vanilla Destiny 2 won't be the exact same game three years from now but that has nothing to do with a "Gone Gold" announcement.

vctor182

Throwback Friday train, after being out of destiny since the beta ended I've confirmed that D1 is very fun to play. D2 on the other hand feels really off. 4v4 is a major no no for me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Good games. All these vehicle snipes. Full wagons are the best. How about we make PVP fun again. Don't make things stale just because.

Tovarisc

IMO, I would rather be a silent guardian. When I first played destiny vanilla, I honestly thought we were going to be the bad guys and the ghosts were just telling us what to do like mindless zombies... and then I hit "I dont have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."

Then again, I'm a big fan of Bioshock 1 & 2.
Eh I'm for a silent protagonist in MMO type games. In fact, I don't even really like when some of the main NPCs refer to your character as special or anything since we know there are so many other players doing the same thing. Like in that beta story mission, someone refers to you as "That guardian you always talk about". Or in other MMOs where your character is like the hero meant to save the world, when you know that every other player is also that hero. I'd prefer if your character was just a side character of the larger plot.

But I suppose it is probably hard to write a story that actually takes into account all the other players in the game, make the player feel good about what they're doing, and also is interesting.

Like Byf mentions in his video I also felt that a lot of potential was wasted and sucked atmosphere out of the scene in which Garry kicks us and our Ghost falls out of our reach. As Guardian reaches for it in desperation and realizes that Ghost is gone I 100% expected something to come out of their mouth.

Then it was just silence.

And I facepalmed because of how stupid it was, but thought that maybe they just hadn't added player VO into this build.

Apparently I was wrong and we will get a lot of those stupid "big emotion" moments where our Guardian stands around as silent tool.

Edit: How big was Destiny 1 without DLC's? Destiny 2 pre-load is 29.1GB, I expected it to be bigger

Cornbread78

No problem, as long as you enjoyed it!

And haha of course there's gonna be more jumping in d2.

Absolutely. Despite my poor beaten down warlock being shunned on the jumps, the rest of the raid was fun and you guys were super helpful.

Thank you again. Now I just need to get to 340 in the next couple weeks (before D2 drops) to do the RoI raid, lol

Like Byf mentions in his video I also felt that a lot of potential was wasted and sucked atmosphere out of the scene in which Garry kicks us and our Ghost falls out of our reach. As Guardian reaches for it in desperation and realizes that Ghost is gone I 100% expected something to come out of their mouth.

Then it was just silence.

And I facepalmed because of how stupid it was, but thought that maybe they just hadn't added player VO into this build.

Apparently I was wrong and we will get a lot of those stupid "big emotion" moments where our Guardian stands around as silent tool.

Did our character speak at all after the vanilla story? I can't remember.

I mean, even in Bioshock the character would still grunt in frustration or scream when in pain, so despite being a literally zombie (at least in BS1), he still had emotions.

Shiv47

Absolutely. Despite my poor beaten down warlock being shunned on the jumps, the rest of the raid was fun and you guys were super helpful.

Thank you again. Now I just need to get to 340 in the next couple weeks (before D2 drops) to do the RoI raid, lol
Glad you enjoyed it, we were all running pretty smoothly for the most part. Though if you want to do Wrath of the Machine, you'll need to be at least 365 for the normal mode.

Cornbread78

Glad you enjoyed it, we were all running pretty smoothly for the most part. Though if you want to do Wrath of the Machine, you'll need to be at least 365 for the normal mode.

Uggh, 365! I'll finish the story and raids tonight and Tuesday night and see what gear I can get!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm surprised South Park hasn't made fun of Destiny yet. They made fun of every major game. Laughing my ass off at the PS4/XB1 episode.

Dinskugga

Help me Gaf

Im most a Pc/Nintendo person
But my wifes little brother gave me his PS3 a couple of weeks ago. I have been playing some "most play games on the system" after that.

So my question is. is it worth buying Destiny on PS3 and play it trough before D2? (Saw that its on sale now on PSN with all the exp)

Im planning on buying D2 on Pc. And im have gave up the idea about D1 on Pc

Cornbread78

Help me Gaf

Im most a Pc/Nintendo person
But my wifes little brother gave me his PS3 a couple of weeks ago. I have been playing some "most play games on the system" after that.

So my question is. is it worth buying Destiny on PS3 and play it trough before D2? (Saw that its on sale now on PSN with all the exp)

Im planning on buying D2 on Pc. And im have gave up the idea about D1 on Pc

If you are really interested in it, why not!
You might be able to get a new disk version of the Taken King pack for less than $10 at a local WalMart as well.

but...

Have you played any of the PS3 exclusives sci-fi shooters before? If not get:

Fps
Killzone trilogy
Resistance trilogy

Tps:
And check out the Uncharted trilogy

ByWatterson

I just finished Age of Triumph 100% - thought it ended on Aug. 31...any codes left out there?

I read that AoT was extended, but I guess that was only t-shirt code redemption. Does anyone have any codes out there still unused? I'll be a little annoyed if I did all that grinding for "Book Complete" and nothing else...

Thanks!

Number45

I just finished Age of Triumph 100% - thought it ended on Aug. 31...any codes left out there?

I read that AoT was extended, but I guess that was only t-shirt code redemption. Does anyone have any codes out there still unused? I'll be a little annoyed if I did all that grinding for "Book Complete" and nothing else...

Thanks!
1st August was the deadline.

Not trying to instigate anything here.. but I was looking on the Destiny subreddit and some one was discussing how Bungie should celebrate the last week or so of Destiny 1 by doing things like allowing more than one exotic to be equipped, loot cave returns, etc. And I was going to reply and say well with the launch of D2, Bungie is probably "All hands on deck".

But as I was about to hit Send, a thought crossed my mind. Destiny 2 has not not gone Gold yet... which is scary as we are almost 2 weeks away from launch.

Has Bungie made any comments regarding D2 and going Gold?

Not trying to instigate anything here.. but I was looking on the Destiny subreddit and some one was discussing how Bungie should celebrate the last week or so of Destiny 1 by doing things like allowing more than one exotic to be equipped, loot cave returns, etc. And I was going to reply and say well with the launch of D2, Bungie is probably "All hands on deck".

But as I was about to hit Send, a thought crossed my mind. Destiny 2 has not not gone Gold yet... which is scary as we are almost 2 weeks away from launch.

Has Bungie made any comments regarding D2 and going Gold?

No but they have stated the game will be available for pre-load on Xbox this week (starting today or tomorrow likely) and on PS4 starting August 31.

D2 has gone platinum. Screw going gold. Luke is rich.

giphy.gif

No but they have stated the game will be available for pre-load on Xbox this week and on PS4 starting August 31.

Yeah, preload has already begun on XB1. Base game is 29.15GB.

Top Bottom