• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Wroooooooooong

V9Tpb3Ml.jpg

Sichuan River is the same people as A+A!
But it's south.

Southside > Northside!

Gurrry

Anyone down for some board games this weekend at Emerald? If anyone is familiar with Descent, I just got a copy and have been looking for people to play with. I also just learned how to play Catan (i know, im late to the party), so im down for that too.

PM me or reply here! I should be available all weekend starting at 3:30 pm tomorrow!

Just scouting out for local people who may be interested in a sort of bite sized podcast project I'm looking into starting up. I've started this little page/account that will essentially be a recording amongst a few friends at a time whereby we just talk about games, music, film, comics, board games, or anything pop culture related. I would like this to be a very unscripted/loosely formatted affair that focuses on just general chit chat and bullshitting with one another about anything entertainment related. It'd not be a massive commitment, just a form of expression to get your opinions out there to the world! I call this a 'bite sized podcast' due to the fact I intend on the content being audio/videos covering just one subject at a time. This not only makes things easier to manage, but it also means if you happen to have, say, 25-30 minutes to spare and want to talk about something, you can just jump in, record your session and get back to whatever you wanted to do. I'm not trying to think too big or anything at this point - it's just an idea. Micro podcasts for those who don't wish to listen to 1hr+ audio recording to hear about 20 minutes of discussion about something they're interested in. On top of that, I've listened to many a podcast where one or two participants would have absolutely no idea or experience with whatever product the others are talking about. I think that's good, to an extent, as it offers an outsider perspective - but for example, I have no real interest in comics or board games. Rather than omit them from the show, how about we just get people who ARE interested and can offer a good discussion? This would be quick to edit and manage, in, out, boom, done.

To keep things interesting, I'm looking for a wide variety of personalities. Local would just make things easier of course. Before any recording would be done, it'd be good to get to know some of you guys to build a little chemistry and see where things go. People who are comfortable just talking to others and own a good microphone are obviously a plus.

It's still up in the air, and things may change (I'm very open to suggestions and ideas!) but I'm just looking to see if anyone out there would be interested. We gots logos and everything! :)

P.M me or leave a message if interested.

cdunson

Neo Member
Just an accepted an offer from a company in Austin. Will be there in July, I cannot tell you how excited I am to start my career there. Been a longhorn fan '93 so this just works out perfect. Oh and google fiber.

Just scouting out for local people who may be interested in a sort of bite sized podcast project I'm looking into starting up. I've started this little page/account that will essentially be a recording amongst a few friends at a time whereby we just talk about games, music, film, comics, board games, or anything pop culture related. I would like this to be a very unscripted/loosely formatted affair that focuses on just general chit chat and bullshitting with one another about anything entertainment related. It'd not be a massive commitment, just a form of expression to get your opinions out there to the world! I call this a 'bite sized podcast' due to the fact I intend on the content being audio/videos covering just one subject at a time. This not only makes things easier to manage, but it also means if you happen to have, say, 25-30 minutes to spare and want to talk about something, you can just jump in, record your session and get back to whatever you wanted to do. I'm not trying to think too big or anything at this point - it's just an idea. Micro podcasts for those who don't wish to listen to 1hr+ audio recording to hear about 20 minutes of discussion about something they're interested in. On top of that, I've listened to many a podcast where one or two participants would have absolutely no idea or experience with whatever product the others are talking about. I think that's good, to an extent, as it offers an outsider perspective - but for example, I have no real interest in comics or board games. Rather than omit them from the show, how about we just get people who ARE interested and can offer a good discussion? This would be quick to edit and manage, in, out, boom, done.

To keep things interesting, I'm looking for a wide variety of personalities. Local would just make things easier of course. Before any recording would be done, it'd be good to get to know some of you guys to build a little chemistry and see where things go. People who are comfortable just talking to others and own a good microphone are obviously a plus.

It's still up in the air, and things may change (I'm very open to suggestions and ideas!) but I'm just looking to see if anyone out there would be interested. We gots logos and everything! :)

P.M me or leave a message if interested.
I've always wanted to create/participate in such a podcast, due to my love of PlayerOne, CheapAssGamer and the old 1up shows.

I'd recommend a meetup for you though, because of how important chemistry is in these things.

I'd love to participate, but I'd need to get a mic. Generally I'm free in the evenings, but work has been keeping me later and later. I'll keep you posted though.

Thanks for the advice Eltrian! Hopefully you manage to stumble across a good deal for a mic. They're handy to have. Keep my posted! :)

Timeaisis

So I don't know if anyone has ever been to Chupacabra off 6th downtown. They used to be a so-so Mexican restaurant that competed with the Iron Cactus (which is right across the street).

Anyway, they've completely revamped their menu lately and I went after a request from my wife and I must say...

It's really quite good now! They're simply tacos and enchiladas now, kind of went for the Torchy's style of weird and wild tacos and the two I had were really quite good. I might even say better than Torchy's, and about $4 a pop. They've also got a really good beer list (which they had before, but the food was meh).

Anyway, if you're downtown and feel like tacos and a beer, I'd recommend them.

Good luck organizing us fewer than a week in advance, haha. Austin-GAF is bar-none the laziest lot in the community.

FYI I work at 4am, so going out is basically never an option for me except the day before my day off. I'll try to make a social session though, considering you really want to do the podcast.

Timeaisis

Sorry, madclacker, odyssey is right, though. :p

Alright who's down for drinks next week? I'm thinking Wednesday or Thursday at Sherlock's, but I'm open to suggestions. Or the weekend, if that works better for people.

What say y'all? Would be super causal.

Timeaisis, that tag. Lol.

I may be able to make that if things go down right for me. Would be pretty interesting as well. I'll be putting myself as a maybe.

So I don't know if anyone has ever been to Chupacabra off 6th downtown. They used to be a so-so Mexican restaurant that competed with the Iron Cactus (which is right across the street).

Anyway, they've completely revamped their menu lately and I went after a request from my wife and I must say...

It's really quite good now! They're simply tacos and enchiladas now, kind of went for the Torchy's style of weird and wild tacos and the two I had were really quite good. I might even say better than Torchy's, and about $4 a pop. They've also got a really good beer list (which they had before, but the food was meh).

Anyway, if you're downtown and feel like tacos and a beer, I'd recommend them.

Aw man I used to love Chupacabra lol. What'd they end up all altering?

Timeaisis

Aw man I used to love Chupacabra lol. What'd they end up all altering?

Just got rid of the ok stuff and added more interesting stuff. Their good food is still really good, they just got rid of the bad stuff and added more tacos lol.

Timeaisis, that tag. Lol.

I may be able to make that if things go down right for me. Would be pretty interesting as well. I'll be putting myself as a maybe.

Lol yeah, I post on neogaf a little too much.

A maybe! Hooray. That's one! Anyone else? I know Jack had some interest last week. I'm actually pretty flexible this week! :eek:

Urgh, GAF isn't notifying me when there's new posts in the thread, nor is the thread 'icon' yellow. It just stays gray. <_<

AkuMifune

Banned
When did Man Bites Dog close? Dammit. I'm only in the mood for a hot dog once in a while, but when I am those were all I wanted.

Maybe if they had a soybean dog on a gluten-free bun they could have survived, eh Austin?

Lol yeah, I post on neogaf a little too much.

A maybe! Hooray. That's one! Anyone else? I know Jack had some interest last week. I'm actually pretty flexible this week! :eek:

I think you just post the wrong thing, at the perfect opportunity, hah.

I feel like we need to plan something out in months advance. xP AustinGAF get on it!

Urgh, GAF isn't notifying me when there's new posts in the thread, nor is the thread 'icon' yellow. It just stays gray. <_<

I know how you feel. >.> It happens to me a lot. Although I am on MobileGAF 24/7 so, I'm not sure if that's why. Lol.

Timeaisis

I feel like we need to plan something out in months advance. xP AustinGAF get on it!

I'm going to start PMing people who express interest so they don't miss this thread getting bumped. I'm pretty busy this weekend, but we should try for something the next one. Eh? Eh?

kgtrep

Hi, everyone. I didn't know there was a community thread for AustinGAFs. I'm out of town this weekend, but would be interested in joining your future meet-ups and getting to know you guys.

Servbot24

Banned
Just saw that there's a new thread!

I would be up for helping on a podcast. Also interested in general meet-ups too!

I'm going to start PMing people who express interest so they don't miss this thread getting bumped. I'm pretty busy this weekend, but we should try for something the next one. Eh? Eh?

Cool with me! I shouldn't be busy for next weekend.

Also, we need to do some serious advertising, I realize. This thread is basically a secret. Nobody knows of it. Lol

Timeaisis

So...anyone else down for a Saturday meet-up? We got two (or three) at least.

As for what we could do. We got Pinballz as the old standby. Someone recommended Emerald Tavern which is beer and boardgames. Or we could all just go out for a drink. Or recommend something.

kgtrep

As for what we could do. We got Pinballz as the old standby. Someone recommended Emerald Tavern which is beer and boardgames. Or we could all just go out for a drink. Or recommend something.

I am. I have not been to either place, so both are cool wtih me. What time on Saturday are you thinking?

I'm backing out. :/
My wife managed to get the day off and she has a list of things for us to do.

Servbot24

Banned
Oh btw I live in Hyde park and only bike as transportation. Don't plan around me or anything, just a heads up my participation will hinge on location. (Also I've got couches, Smash Bros U and Mario Kart 8 if anyone's into that. Oh and chess! :p)

Timeaisis

Oh btw I live in Hyde park and only bike as transportation. Don't plan around me or anything, just a heads up my participation will hinge on location. (Also I've got couches, Smash Bros U and Mario Kart 8 if anyone's into that. Oh and chess! :p)

You may have just volunteered yourself as a fall-back plan. :p

I am. I have not been to either place, so both are cool wtih me. What time on Saturday are you thinking?

Probably late afternoon/early evening. I know people have errands and shit they have to run during the weekends (I do, too). So probably after 4 or 5. At least, that's my opinion, anyway.

I'm backing out. :/
My wife managed to get the day off and she has a list of things for us to do.

Boo. Just kidding, it's all good. Next time. :p

kgtrep

If you don't mind a ride from a stranger, I can give you a lift. I live in the area.

Vice

I'm nearing graduation and Austin is definitely on my radar for the post-college move. Live in CA, with a degree in communications, have experience on the PR and journalism side of the industry and wanted to know how are those job fields in or near Austin doing?

geestack

Word up, didn't realize this thread was outside community. Born and raised in Austin, still here after all this time.

HylianTom

Banned
Favorite malts: Sandy's. Fantastic.

And our dog would fight us for our chicken sandwiches, to the point where we started buying him one of his own.
One of my favorite things used to be stopping by Sandy's, and then going to Blues on the Green. Really good memories.

Lived in Austin for 10 years. Austin was very good to us.

Nosgotham

Hey Austin gaf! Heading to Barton springs as soon as we get some good weather. Can someone recommend me a place they think is better than torchys? I fucking love torchys. Worked there for its first year in Waco as s bartender and ate it ever day and never got tired of it.

Open my eyes to Austin food please

Hey Austin gaf! Heading to Barton springs as soon as we get some good weather. Can someone recommend me a place they think is better than torchys? I fucking love torchys. Worked there for its first year in Waco as s bartender and ate it ever day and never got tired of it.

Open my eyes to Austin food please
Taco Deli > Torchy's

Top Bottom