• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2017 Week 7 |OT| Chooooklahoma, where the Cyclones come wrecking up the plains

I don't think its even markets right now that the SEC is after but it obviously won't hurt. They're after flagship schools with good/great academics (UNC is obviously the big Prize they want).

Tapping into new markets is absolutely one of their primary goals, though. That's not conjecture, they've gone on record saying as much.

ryseing

They wanted VT too( wanted those great engineering/architecture/IT schools ) but they balked. I think short term VT made the right choice, but long term the ACC isn't the best place for their football or basketball programs, and it isn't what their fanbase wanted.

I doubt UNC would ever leave the ACC. Their ties to the triangle are too important. SEC could go after STATE though and get nearly everything they want out of a UNC minus their rabid fanbase.

Maybe we should just get rid of all conferences.

State/Carolina are tied together thanks to the legislature. I could see us leaving the ACC out of spite towards Swofford but it won't happen unless that gets repealed.

And our fanbase is plenty rabid- go check out a little place called packpride.com. We just don't have the Wal-Mart fans. Most State fans either went here or have family ties.

They wanted VT too( wanted those great engineering/architecture/IT schools ) but they balked. I think short term VT made the right choice, but long term the ACC isn't the best place for their football or basketball programs, and it isn't what their fanbase wanted.

I doubt UNC would ever leave the ACC. Their ties to the triangle are too important. SEC could go after STATE though and get nearly everything they want out of a UNC minus their rabid fanbase.

Maybe we should just get rid of all conferences.

Note, that was a dig at UNC. Wasn't serious.

The thing that makes UNC actual SEC quality is a massive cheating scandal and getting away with it.

DMSH53fU8AAwY1n

I have never been more proud to frequent 11 Warriors than in this exact moment

tebunker

Banned
State/Carolina are tied together thanks to the legislature. I could see us leaving the ACC out of spite towards Swofford but it won't happen unless that gets repealed.

And our fanbase is plenty rabid- go check out a little place called packpride.com. We just don't have the Wal-Mart fans. Most State fans either went here or have family ties.

Rabid wasn't the best word choice, but growing up in/near Tobacco Row(that term probably dates me a lot) NC State fans were the most amicable, not lunatic, non-angry and un-entitled fans unlike some groups UNC like Duke and even Alabama bring out the sidewalk alumni and Walmart fans. Unc/Duke got so damned tiresome and then you add in the wannabes that were UVa fans and I had to get away sportswise.

ryseing

Did it occur to anyone else that FSU/Florida could be for all the marbles?

Meaning bowl eligibility. Excuse me while I die laughing

FSU already has or is going to reschedule the cupcake they missed for Championship Weekend so as much as I'd like that scenario to be true they should be OK.

Florida on the other hand...

Rabid wasn't the best word choice, but growing up in/near Tobacco Row(that term probably dates me a lot) NC State fans were the most amicable, not lunatic, non-angry and un-entitled fans unlike some groups UNC like Duke and even Alabama bring out the sidewalk alumni and Walmart fans. Unc/Duke got so damned tiresome and then you add in the wannabes that were UVa fans and I had to get away sportswise.

Assuming you're referring to Tobacco Road, that term is still very common here, although RTP/"the Triangle" has overtaken it in everyday usage, particularly by the folks who've come here from up North.

And you're fine. I just took issue with "rabid" because our fans are incredibly passionate but mostly nice people. We're not entitled because we know far too well that success is fleeting and won't be given to us on a silver platter, unlike those folks in Chapel Hill and Durham. I know the UVA type. They tend to be tied to the Carolina wine and cheese folks. Same people, slightly different cloth.

Top Bottom