• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

dude

dude
it10Jny.png

Welcome to the Vegan OT, a thread for vegans and sympathizers. Whether it’s to help build a balanced diet, share recipes, discuss Vegan friendly places - This is the place!

YkbFOLp.png

Q. So wait, what is Veganism?
A. Veganism is a practice and philosophy, that mainly advocates abstaining from animal products. Practically, this usually means a no eggs, no milk, no meat, poultry or seafood diet. This usually includes no honey, no gelatin, nor many other components that comes from animal exploitation. Veganism many times includes more than just a diet - Be it abstaining from leather, silk, animal-tested products etc.

Q. Do you even have anything left to eat??
A. Uhhh… Yes? Do you seriously just east meat and cheese all day? Get checked dude.
Anyway, with vegetables, fruits, grains, fungi, nuts… Really, most of what anyone eats is vegan anyway. Many dishes are traditionally vegan, and most other are rather easy to veganize.

Q. That can’t be healthy
A. Veganism is considered healthy for all ages and all stages of life (including pregnancy, lactation, while sick etc.) As with all diets - It needs to be balanced in order to provide all that your body needs. B12 is the biggest risk - as it is produced by bacteria not found in plants, and it is usually recommended for vegans (and vegetarians) to take supplements or B12 reinforced food.

Q. but PROTEIN
A. Actually, there’s protein a-plenty in plant food; nut butters, qinoa, soy and many more are great sources of protein.

Q. Alright I guess… But, still, WHY??
A. There are several reasons why one might choose a Vegan lifestyle or diet:
1) Ethical reasons. The animal product industry is exploitative and cruel to animals by nature. Even if one is fine with the idea of eating the meat of other sentient animals, the industrialization of the meat and animal product industries made many animals little more than commodity, and are treated as such as corporations try and maximize profits.
2) Environmental reasons. Livestock farming is environmentally unsustainable. Livestock produce accounts for large parts of air pollution in the world, more than all transportation vehicles combined.
3) Health reasons. Some people go vegan to cut on fat, cholesterol and blood pressure.

0dZoEOI.png

Milks
There are many non-dairy milks available for vegans, each with their own benefits and downsides.

vRBfWVn.png

Egg Replacers
No eggs may sound like a problem when it comes to baking, but there are many many ways available to emulate their texture.

Fml47bd.png

(Credit for the recipes and pics goes to @smadar bar yochai)

p8kuOYf.png

(pic from ohsheglows.com)

So, what is a must in your vegan kitchen? (All my opinions, obviously)

Tahini is basically a must for every vegan. Not only is it incredibly nutritious, its thick texture makes it useful as an egg replacement in many dishes.

Tofu and Seitan are great replacements for the texture of various meats. Both are not that healthy in large amounts, but are still so good.

Nuts are very important for a balanced vegan diet. High fat nuts such as Macadamia and Cashews can be made into cheese and cream, while most others can be made into milks, spreads or just eaten as is.

Legumes: I always keep a large selection in my pantry - be them beans, lentils or whatever. Black lentils deserve a special mention.

Cereals: I always try and keep some bulgur, quinoa (which is high in protein and gluten-free and all-around god food) and couscous. I try to avoid rice, but whole rice can be good to have around.

Flours: Potato flour, Gram flour and cornflour are all very useful in the vegan kitchen. They can be used for anything from making vegan patties to vegan omelettes. Other flours such as Quinoa, lentils and Tapioca can also be useful for various recipes.

Nutritional Yeast can be used to produce an amazing cheese-like taste, and is also very nutritional, as the name suggests.

Oils: Coconut oil can be a great butter replacement, it’s very very fatty but even a small amount can add a divine taste. Olive oil is also very useful.

Sweetners: Rub is a great honey replacement, as is maple and Agave syrup. Molasses is also a great source of iron.

Snacks: Some snacks are surprisingly vegan! Oreos (check the box, depending on your location this may vary), Ritz and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls are all vegan. I also like to keep some peanut butter and Lotus spread around. Oh yeah, Lotus spread and crackers are both vegan as well.

Recommended blogs and sites:
Post Punk Kitchen
Oh She Glows
Veganyumyum
The Vegan Society
In Vegetables We Trust

Just a little moderation guideline for this thread:

Good Posts
- If you're a non-vegan, you are welcome here
- If you're a non-vegetarian, you are welcome here
- If your primary reason for being here is that you're a non-vegan interested in learning how vegan people think about issues surrounding veganism (for example, the oyster debate or issues surrounding locovore consumption versus imported vegetables as they relate to environmental veganism, or even if you want to see what vegans think of vegetarians or omnivores who are trying to reduce their meat consumption or issues like factory versus free-range farming), you are welcome here. AbsoluteBro's discussion above seems mostly pretty good because it's coming from a position of basic respect and genuine curiosity and dialogue.

Bad Posts
- If you are basically in this thread because you don't like or disagree with vegans and want to challenge them, that's not necessarily respectful or productive. Like, if your question is "Aren't vegans unhealthy hypocrites who are just shrill to other people also peta sucks", that's not really a question and it's not really welcome here. There are other spaces on GAF where you might be able to have this debate. Not that this space has to be uniformly positive; obviously if someone makes a false claim then you can feel free to correct it, but basically this should be a space where vegans don't need to feel like they have to continually defend their basic premises. I think some of the people posting in the first 100 posts seemed to be people who more wanted to have a Veganism versus Meat-friendly diet debate, and I'm not sure the level of respect we'd hope to see in this thread was present.

Vegans: How To Avoid This Thread Sucking
- If someone posts something inflammatory, don't respond. Report it. Just send the post URL to a mod. I am volunteering. If you don't want to contact me or feel like I'm not around, I would recommend you contact either charlequin (who is either vegetarian or vegan, I can't remember which, but who certainly would be a sympathetic ear) or Kabouter or Mumei. This isn't to say other mods can't help you, but rather if you don't feel super comfortable, I think you'd find those names are good choices for this issue.
- Please don't report posts that are respectful and don't need to be reported. Someone saying, for instance, that they don't like meat substitutes and favour vegan dishes that don't try to substitute meat, is not being disrespectful or challenging or rude. That's just an opinion.

dude

dude
Cool.

Pack it up guys, its over.

Kidding, I think it's cool what you guys are doing.

Once we have synthetic meat available, I'd definitely be indulging in it every once in a while. But I think we still have a long way to go until we get to the point it's cheap enough for mass consumption.

AAK

I'm not a vegen, but the OP has some interesting things and made me curious enough to research some things. Thanks for posting.

EmiPrime

Instead of wasting time with synthetic meat research (fake meats are healthier and tastier already) I would rather they work on making a vegan cheese that isn't meh.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Don't know about others but from what I came to know after a recent trip to India is that Indian cuisine is meatless/vegetarian and I like it.

dude

dude
Instead of wasting time with synthetic meat research (fake meats are healthier and tastier already) I would rather they work on making a vegan cheese that isn't meh.

There are plenty of recipes for home-made Vegan cheese that are amazing.
I saw a BuzzFeed article with a bunch of recipes a couple of days ago. I only got around to making almond cheese and cashew cheese, but they both came out pretty great. I also tried Macadamia cream-cheese at a restaurant and it was basically the best thing ever.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Been thinking about making the jump from vegetarian to vegan but the hassle of closely inspecting the ingredients of everything I eat to make sure there is no animal product seems annoying.

Pinkuss

Non-Brit Vegans should import a load of Marmite and make it a staple of their diet.

Also would recommend: http://invegetableswetrust.com/

Brit Vegan here. Marmite is vile :p

On the topic of Yeast stuff though, recently got into fortified yeast flakes. Hated them when I first became Vegan 8 years ago but now seem to be adding them to pasta/chilli/anything would have sprinkled Parmesan on.

Been thinking about making the jump from vegetarian to vegan but the hassle of closely inspecting the ingredients of everything I eat to make sure there is no animal product seems annoying.
Where are you from? Most stuff here (UK) has a separate contains section for non Vegan stuff. And lots of places have Vegan logo's on their food now. I'm extremely lazy and find it quite easy to find things.

dude

dude

Eh, it passes after a couple of weeks, as you get to know most locally available products and what's in them. Also, you learn to love the Parve symbol, as that means you only really have to look out for eggs.
But anyway, the only times I check the ingredients these days is when someone at work brings an unknown snack,

Also, you can easily google "is ______ vegan" to find out without scrutinizing tiny texts.

iirate

I was vegan for nearly five years, and ~1.5 years ago I reintroduced meat, dairy, eggs, etc. back into my diet. Becoming vegan had opened my eyes to so many foods that I would have never tried before that I felt like I needed to give omnivorism another shot due to my more open palette.

Anyways, I found out that I wasn't missing much. I'm still eating an omnivorous diet, but that's because my current situation makes it hard to return to veganism. However, I knew that I would return to it one day and I'm definitely ready. I originally became vegan for ethical reasons, but I have never felt better physically and mentally than I did during those five years, and I miss that feeling so much.

What cheeses have you tried?
I think Daiya is pretty good.

Daiya isn't going to blow anyone's mind, but it's still pretty damn good. I can't really stand any other fake cheeses I've tried.

Well made OT, nicely done.

Vegetarian 5 years and I've toyed with the idea of going all the way but...man. Cheese, butter and Greek yogurt are a lot to give up. I have a lot of respect vegans though. Especially on the social side of it as it really limits your options going out to eat or visiting friends/relatives/acquaintances.

That said, I go through quinoa and almond milk like its going out of style. Quinoa was particularly life changing

Brit Vegan here. Marmite is vile :p

On the topic of Yeast stuff though, recently got into fortified years flakes. Hated them when I first became Vegan 8 years ago but now seem to be adding them to pasta/chilli/anything would have sprinkled Parmesan on.

Where are you from? Most stuff here (UK) has a separate contains section for non Vegan stuff. And lots of places have Vegan logo's on their food now. I'm extremely lazy and find it quite easy to find things.

No way mayne.

Another british vegan here, Holland & Barrett are a godsend in the UK. Well they would be but I'm trying to cut down on carbs at the moment because they're the devil. They sell soya pieces and soya flakes, dried, in H&B and they're great for cooking.

Hemp powder is nice to have for thickening sauces.

iirate

Well made OT, nicely done.

Vegetarian 5 years and I've toyed with the idea of going all the way but...man. Cheese, butter and Greek yogurt are a lot to give up. I have a lot of respect vegans though. Especially on the social side of it as it really limits your options going out to eat or visiting friends/relatives/acquaintances.

That said, I go through quinoa and almond milk like its going out of style. Quinoa was particularly life changing

I forgot to mention this above, but this was probably the single biggest reason I stopped being vegan. It was harder to lose out on the social aspects of food than to lose the food itself.

Nasser

Gaf, I want to go vegan so bad at least try it for a week and see how do I like it. I'll be checking this thread often.

Pinkuss

No way mayne.

Another british vegan here, Holland & Barrett are a godsend in the UK. Well they would be but I'm trying to cut down on carbs at the moment because they're the devil. They sell soya pieces and soya flakes, dried, in H&B and they're great for cooking.

Hemp powder is nice to have for thickening sauces.

Holland and Barrett are great for their penny sales/ Buy one Get one Half Price. Cheezly and the Redwoods pizzas always get stocked up as well as the Celebration Kits/Faux chicken.

Do try and frequent my local health food shop more as they have a slightly better selection/are more open to ordering new things in.

I'm not totally vegan personally, but I really just wanted to give a hand to the OP. That's an awesome introductory post.

You don't... have to, you know. It's not all or nothing. You can give up eggs and milk without having to check every box. And if you get some by accident, so what? You were going to as a ovo-lacto vegetarian anyways.

(I know vegan refers to more than food but the title specifically refers to 'dining' so...)

Oh and Tesco sell vegan cheese and it's the best vegan cheese out there, keep to the Smoked variety which is the mildest and best tasting and the mild one. The medium (orange) one is pretty horrible.

If you're in the Midlands (you have my deepest condolences) Cafe Soya in Birmingham is amazing, there's 2 actually, one is bigger and has a larger menu the other one has a karaoke bar. The food is spectacular.

Tesco actually have loads of nice vegan stuff thinking about it.

Pinkuss

Oh and Tesco sell vegan cheese and it's the best vegan cheese out there, keep to the Smoked variety which is the mildest and best tasting and the mild one. The medium (orange) one is pretty horrible.

If you're in the Midlands (you have my deepest condolences) Cafe Soya in Birmingham is amazing, there's 2 actually, one is bigger and has a larger menu the other one has a karaoke bar. The food is spectacular.

Going to have to disagree; it's Sheeze (sp?) bit rubbery, reviews awfully in most (all?) Vegan tests.

Cheezly Mozzarella is where it's at for cheap stuff. Their cheddar makes good cheese straws too. Supermarkets always sell the cheddar Cheezly which isn't that versatile and a bit rubbish for non pasty stuff or if you want it to melt.

As for the good stuff https://vegusto.co.uk/ they do a starter pack for £12 (45% off with free delivery). Get a medium block of mozzarella (made me two pizzas). Small cheddar, small stronger cheese (only had the cheddar so far; was amazing). Plus a large Sausage and two Mushroom burgers.

Going to have to disagree; it's Sheeze (sp?) bit rubbery, reviews awfully in most (all?) Vegan tests.

Cheezly Mozzarella is where it's at for cheap stuff. Their cheddar makes good cheese straws too.

As for the good stuff https://vegusto.co.uk/ they do a starter pack for £12 (45% off with free delivery). Get a medium block of mozzarella (made me two pizzas). Small cheddar, small stronger cheese (only had the cheddar so far; was amazing). Plus a large Sausage and two Mushroom burgers.

Have you tried the Tesco stuff? Eff the reviews, I've tried them all. It's the closest I've had to normal cheese in a good while. What's sheeze? It's not called that. Just stick to the smoked variety.

Vegusto is absolutely mediocre, I ended up throwing most of it away awful and powdery. Not bad if you want to avoid soya I guess.

Pinkuss

Have you tried the Tesco stuff? Eff the reviews, I've tried them all. It's the closest I've had to normal cheese in a good while. What's sheeze? It's not called that. Just stick to the smoked variety.

Vegusto is absolutely mediocre, I ended up throwing most of it away awful and powdery. Not bad if you want to avoid soya I guess.
Yeah, had the Tesco stuff (once). Sheeze is a northern brand, they make the cheese for Tesco according to what I've read (and tasted). Each to their own but couldn't stand it.

Yeah, had the Tesco stuff (once). Sheeze is a northern brand, they make the cheese for Tesco according to what I've read (and tasted). Each to their own but couldn't stand it.

Oh I've heard of Sheese, I thought it was Irish? I guess if you've tried either the mild or the medium tesco cheese it ain't nothing great. In fact I probably wouldn't eat either if I had a choice but I really like the smoked kind. It's great on sandwiches, I think it melts pretty nicely too and it's great on pizzas. There's a pizza place around the corner from me who do curried vegetable pizza (with no cheese) and I just take it home and put my own on it.

Lautaro

I read some time ago (don't remember where) that by switching to a vegan diet actually kills animals because the increased demand for vegetables leads to deforestation since you have to create farms to cultivate these, opposed to cattle raising that uses existing resources to feed their animals.

Do you think is there any truth to this?

Famassu

I read some time ago (don't remember where) that by switching to a vegan diet actually kills animals because the increased demand for vegetables leads to deforestation since you have to create farms to cultivate these, opposed to cattle raising that uses existing resources to feed their animals.

There's ZERO truth to this. It's the exact opposite.

No and a plant based diet would be great for the environment too. It's not the perfect diet unless you were to live entirely out of your own garden etc but it's about the best you can do without making your life hell.

You first? Why don't you go find some information to back up your initial claim?

"Existing resources" is the logical fallacy, and animals go through plants like crazy.

What about cruelty to plants?
Plants don't have a central nervous system. Let's never bring up this dismissive, insulting question again.

nilbog21

Banned

I'm not vegan, but this notion is absolutely preposterous lol

dude

dude
Or the illegal workers who pick the plants

Do you think livestock workers are magical elves...? The illegal workers who pick up plants, are just the same as the illegal workers who lead cows to the slaughterhouse.
I also agree that we should also fight for fair employment all over the world, but that is not strictly a Vegan issue.

As for land use - Well, considering you need crops to feed the livestock, I think the livestock industry uses much more land by definition.

Lautaro

You first? Why don't you go find some information to back up your initial claim?

I didn't made a claim, I made a question.

Question that apparently I had to answer for myself because people get touchy here: there was a scientific article saying that but there's also a lot of material saying that is false because feeding the animal consumes in theory more grain than actually consuming the grain.

nynt9

Plants don't have a central nervous system. Let's never bring up this dismissive, insulting question again.

Actually there is a building trend in plant science to view plants as more sentient than we initially thought.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/23/131223fa_fact_pollan
http://www.plantbehavior.org/neuro.html
http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/features/062208/do-plants-have-brains

Also, is "cruelty free" really necessary in the title? It comes off as a bit hostile towards non-vegans.

I didn't made a claim, I made a question.

Question that apparently I had to answer for myself because people get touchy here: there was a scientific article saying that but there's also a lot of material saying that is false because feeding the animal consumes in theory more grain than actually consuming the grain.

Took my five seconds to google

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7600005.stm

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140625145536.htm

Top Bottom