• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Out of interest, what do you consider to be their good platformers from that time period?

i think their very best is smg2 and nsmbw. the first super mario galaxy is also great, but has problems fixed in smg2.

i liked yoshi touch & go, kirby: mass attack, and canvas curse. those are on the unconventional side i guess. i remember enjoying yoshi's island ds, but i haven't played it in five years. never played super princess peach. wasn't crazy about wario land, but didn't think it was bad or anything. same is true of return to dreamland.

i think that covers all of the ones i played. if drill dozer is included then that's also not one i'm a fan of but might give second shot someday.

AniHawk

Well I guess there's some truth to what you're saying, but for me Retro successfully revived and revitalized two of Nintendo's classic franchises, and I would like to see them do the same for Zelda, which quite simply has grown incredibly stale. Aonuma and his team are too set in their old ways, I can't think of anyone better than Retro to inject new life into the series. I guess I actually care more about seeing a fresh Zelda than seeing a brand new ip from Retro.

when i replayed metroid prime, one thing i could tell about the whole thing was how well it was crafted. i didn't enjoy the overall experience, but the presentation was amazingly good, and everything felt deliberate. to me, it felt more like a zelda game in first-person with a gun instead of a 3d version of super metroid.

to that end, i think they could do a zelda game justice. the problem i think is they might be afraid to color outside the lines a bit.

i agree that aonuma needs to do something fresh. i think koizumi's a much better fit for the series than mario. that might just be link's awakening talking.

The best Nintendo game I've played in the last 10 years was Metroid Prime. I want something of that caliber again, and I have a feeling it's not going to be DKCR 2, Zelda, or F-zero. It may not even be another Metroid Game. I have a strong feeling it's going to be a radical new take on Star Fox.

The first thought that caught my mind when playing DKCR is that it's good that an AAA Western studio made a pure 2D side scroller with a serious effort in the age of brown and grey.

I doubt it'll be there. Look forward to E3 2013.

I'm sure it will be there in some form. I'd imagine the "crunch" mentioned in that Retro employee's tweet was crunch to ready a trailer or a vertical slice demo for E3. It will probably be like Galaxy and Corruption - a game everyone assumes is coming at or near launch due to lack of launch windows given at E3, but ultimately comes out 8-12 months later.

Sagitario

So, according to their Facebook page and website, Retro is hiring:

http://www.retrostudios.com/careers.asp
RETROSTUDIOS - careers
retrostudios.com
Applications and resumes will only be accepted through Nintendo's website as we do not accept paper, faxed, or e-mailed resumes

Let's face it, Nintendo has been desperate for well over decade to find a formula for Star Fox that is as awesome as Star Fox 64, but also can't be beaten in an hour and a a half. I'd say Retro probably has the chops to do that.

Retro Studios is to good for star fox. They are also to good for f-zero. Let it go.

If some people had had their way, they never would've had Retro working on DK, either. Then we wouldn't have had the awesomeness that is DKC Returns.

They could do some crazy shit with Starfox, I am sure. And what with their penchant for a good challenge, we could expect a difficult game.

Whatever it turns out to be, I will look forward to it and play it. So long as it's not Mario Party 11 (or is it 10?).

I hate this kind of shit. I see it way to often.

They are not too good for anything as long as what they make is awesome.

Retro certainly could make an excellent Star Fox or F-Zero, but as Nintendo's premier Western studio, developing a title that will presumably be released early in Wii U's life, they really should be developing a project that will help sell the system to Western core/enthusiast gamers, beyond the existing Nintendo faithful.

Both of those IPs are far too niche to qualify.

thefro

Retro certainly could make an excellent Star Fox or F-Zero, but as Nintendo's premier Western studio, developing a title that will presumably be released early in Wii U's life, they really should be developing a project that will help sell the system to Western core/enthusiast gamers, beyond the existing Nintendo faithful.

Both of those IPs are far too niche to qualify.

Yep, F-Zero can't be that title.

Star Fox would need a big-time reboot (i.e., they're humans instead of animals) for it to be a big seller to core gamers in the west.

Ocaso

That's what I feel.

Would be great. They would cut out all of the stupid bullshit that has ruined the series lately.

Don't forget for a second that they're first party and would undoubtedly have Aonuma or Mitamoto supervising any work on a Zelda game. Though they'd undoubtedly provide a fresh take on the title, at least some of what you may consider "stupid bullshit" may simply be the desires of their overseers.

oatmeal

Banned
Don't forget for a second that they're first party and would undoubtedly have Aonuma or Mitamoto supervising any work on a Zelda game. Though they'd undoubtedly provide a fresh take on the title, at least some of what you may consider "stupid bullshit" may simply be the desires of their overseers.

I'm sure they'd oversee it, but I can't see Miyamoto walking in and upending the tea table with "NO! IT MOVES TOO FAST! MORE FETCH QUESTS!"

Whatever Retro is working on I am 100% confident it's going to be one fine looking game. They were forced to compromise and think within smaller boundaries for the last 6 years; so I know all the programmers, artists, and designers there were anxious as heck to get started on something for the WiiU. It's going to be special, you can take that to the bank and cash it.

oatmeal

Banned
Whatever Retro is working on I am 100% confident it's going to be a damn, fine looking game. They were forced to compromise and think within smaller boundaries for the last 6 years, so I know all the programmers there were anxious as heck to get started on something for the WiiU. It's going to be special, you can take that to the bank and cash it.

Totally.

I'm really really excited to see what Nintendo can do with their franchises in HD.

SMG looks incredible on Dolphin (looks great in SD, too). Something about their artwork (except in NSMB) is so pleasing.

Totally.

I'm really really excited to see what Nintendo can do with their franchises in HD.

SMG looks incredible on Dolphin (looks great in SD, too). Something about their artwork (except in NSMB) is so pleasing.

This, all the way this. Nintendo has an army of talented artists, I am SO READY to see what they're able to do with a bigger and better canvas.

Ocaso

I'm sure they'd oversee it, but I can't see Miyamoto walking in and upending the tea table with "NO! IT MOVES TOO FAST! MORE FETCH QUESTS!"

Who knows. At least some of these fetch quests are not simply there to pad out the game but were inserted deliberately, because someone felt they were important. They are there in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and now in Skyward Sword.

All I'm saying is that Zelda is too well established at this point to allow any studio to reimagine it. It's possible, but for some reason, even if it is Retro, I'd merely expect a high def and gorgeous but still traditional Zelda game. And it would sell like hot cakes.

oatmeal

Banned
Who knows. At least some of these fetch quests are not simply there to pad out the game but were inserted deliberately, because someone felt they were important. They are there in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and now in Skyward Sword.

All I'm saying is that Zelda is too well established at this point to allow any studio to reimagine it. It's possible, but for some reason, even if it is Retro, I'd merely expect a high def and gorgeous but still traditional Zelda game. And it would sell like hot cakes.

I would imagine that they wouldn't give it to another studio unless they WANTED it to be reimagined. No reason to take it from EAD when they've been doing it forever.

Ocaso

I would imagine that they wouldn't give it to another studio unless they WANTED it to be reimagined. No reason to take it from EAD when they've been doing it forever.

Sure there's good reason. To make more Zelda games. It's what needs to be done if you don't want 3+ years turnaround times. EAD just wrapped up a Zelda game. No way one is available prior to 2014 unless a different studio takes on the challenge.

Look at Donkey Kong Country. They didn't reimagine the franchise. It's a polished and modernized take on it, yet very much in the same vein as the Super NES games.

Star Fox would be nice, but I still prefer a new IP or Metroid Prime 4.

About Zelda, I'd like to see it in hands of Koizumi and EAD Tokyo. Meanwhile, Zelda Team could try a big, open 3D Mario :p

oatmeal

Banned
Sure there's good reason. To make more Zelda games. It's what needs to be done if you don't want 3+ years turnaround times. EAD just wrapped up a Zelda game. No way one is available prior to 2014 unless a different studio takes on the challenge.

Look at Donkey Kong Country. They didn't reimagine the franchise. It's a polished and modernized take on it, yet very much in the same vein as the Super NES games.

Eh, agree to disagree.

I'm sure if EAD did DKCR, it would have been more akin to DK64 with tons of padding. :D

Xun

It would be great if it were Zelda, but I feel it would work better as a spinoff series.

Keep EAD working on the main games, and Retro changing things up a bit with their own Zelda games.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What is "crunch time"?

It's when inept management discovers that an aggressive release schedule is unobtainable without:
A. Delaying the schedule.
B. Taking away game features.
C. Releasing a buggy game.
D. Making it a requirement that everyone work long hours.

And they choose D because that's how things go these days.

Dr.Hadji

Don't know why people think this kind of thing is automatic. Prime2 and 3 varies less from Prime than Majora's Mask and Wind Waker did. The #1 thing a Retro Zelda would be is atmospheric. Which would be enough for the more touchy feely gamers out there to call it "fresh".

Nilaul

It's when inept management discovers that an aggressive release schedule is unobtainable without:
A. Delaying the schedule.
B. Taking away game features.
C. Releasing a buggy game.
D. Making it a requirement that everyone work long hours.

And they choose D because that's how things go these days.

Making games is fun so yes I would choose D also :p

Someone needs to reboot Zelda...

Fire the EAD Zelda team (except for Tezuka)... throw Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Sakamoto into the Fukushima meltdown...

Let Treasure and ex Factor 5 employees do StarFox...

Retro, FromSoftware, and some guys from Bethesda team-up under Tezuka to do a Zelda reboot in the vein of I, II, & a touch of III...without puzzles and NPCs and "side quests" and intro sequences and Cutscenes and Fischer Price game mechanics...

Retro and the ghost of Gunpei Yokoi (via Quija Borad) do a reboot of Metroid in the vein of I, II, & III.

Maybe gather some talent from elsewhere and sprinkle in there.

Metroid and Zelda need to be rebooted quickly because Nintendo has practically killed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom