• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

Nert

ilXLHzGRjwLMj.jpg

Basic Information

Developer: Q Entertainment
Publisher: Ubisoft
Platform: Playstation Vita
Release Dates: February 14, 2012 (NA), February 22, 2012 (EU), April 19, 2012 (JP)
Genre: Tetris
Multiplayer: Local only (ad hoc)
Download Size: 722 MB (demo available)

Description:
The king of music-puzzle games returns with its first, all-new installment in over 5 years. Lumines™ Electronic Symphony marks the return of Q Entertainment’s landmark puzzle series, bringing together addictive block-dropping puzzle action, an all-new 3D graphics engine, and some of the most significant names in electronic music history.

Features

• Reworked visuals: Gone are the dark ages of block sprites. Each cube is now fully rendered in 3D, with lighting effects and stuff.

• New soundtrack: Sorry, Gwen Stefani fans. Electronic Symphony has a soundtrack that lives up to its name, with over 30 licensed tracks from a list of artists that includes Amon Tobin, Goldfrapp, The Chemical Brothers, and many more.

• New block mechanics: Chain Blocks clear out chains of blocks of the same color, while Shuffle Blocks randomize the colors of all blocks currently on the screen.

• Special avatar abilities: Each avatar now comes with a special ability. For example, one power temporarily reduces the rate at which blocks fall. More avatars can be unlocked as a part of the…

• Experience system: With player profiles, stat tracking, experience points, and a level-based rewards system, Lumines: Electronic Symphony brings the Lumines experience closer to Call of Duty than ever before.

• Social features: In addition to game’s worldwide leaderboards, there is a leaderboard with your friends’ scores on the main menu. There is also a “World Block” that players can chip away at (it's refreshed each day).

• Touch controls: The Playstation Vita has a D-pad. Don’t use the touch controls.

Track List

Licensed tracks

• "4 AM" - Kaskade
• "Aganju" - Bebel Gilberto
• "Always Loved A Film" - Underworld
• "Apollo Throwdown" - The Go! Team
• "Automatons" - Anything Box
• "Autumn Love" - SCSI-9
• "Bang Bang Bang" - Mark Ronson & The Business
• "Celebrate Our Love" - Howard Jones
• "Close (To The Edit)" - Art of Noise
• "Disco Infiltrator" - LCD Soundsystem
• "Dissolve" - The Chemical Brothers
• "Embracing The Future" - B.T.
• "Flyin' Hi" - Faithless
• "Good Girl" - Benny Benassi
• "Gouryella" - Gouryella
• "Hey Boy Hey Girl" - The Chemical Brothers
• "Higher State of Consciousness" - Wink
• "In My Arms" - Mylo
• "Kelly Watch The Stars" - Air
• "Moistly" - LFO
• "Out Of The Blue" - System F
• "Pacific 707" - 808 State
• "Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song)" - Safri Duo
• "Rocket (Tiesto Remix)" - Goldfrapp
• "Sunriser (Publicmind Remix)" - Ken Ishii
• "Superstar" - Aeroplane
• "The Future of the Future (Stay Gold)" - Deep Dish
• "The Sun Rising" - The Beloved
• "What's Your Number" - Ian Pooley
• "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin
• "Wolfgang's 5th Symphony" - Wolfgang Gartner
• "Wooden Toy" - Amon Tobin
• "Yesterday When I Was Mad (Jam & Spoon Mix)" - Pet Shop Boys

Original Tracks

(TBA)

Gamespot article discussing soundtrack

Screenshots and Wallpaper

jLcH8Irj0yORw.jpg

jQw5xGMnpp2vL.jpg

j3DZlgRRKhoiq.jpg

j8iqZAqoSBROK.jpg

Trailers and Videos

TGS 2011 Trailer
James Mielke's Feature Walkthrough

Reviews

1up: B+
Destructoid : 9.5/10
Game Informer: 8/10
GamesRadar: 9/10
Giantbomb: 4/5
IGN: 9/10
Joystiq: 9/10
nintendofanboy: 0/10

nintendofanboy said:
I am a huge Sony fan. Sony is meant to be for hardcore and mature gamers but all I see on the PS Vita are babyish, casual and puzzle type games. What ever happened to having a PS3 type console experience in your pocket. Another reason I don't like Lumines is because it seams outdated. It doesn't add anything new to the puzzle genre. For all these reasons I give this game a zero.

"How do I improve my score?"

Well, hypothetical person asking this question, you can play a round of Lumines forever. (Thanks for the link, narcosis219)

NeoGAF PSN IDs

This game makes it easy to compare scores and compete with friends, and only through teamwork can we defeat those nefarious world blocks. Post your PSN ID in this thread (or PM me) and I'll add it to the list below.

Format: GAF Name / PSN ID

Anabuhabkuss / SomewhatGroovy
AstroLad / astrolad
archnemesis / SuperSharp
Baconsammy / Bahooki
Berek Halfhand / Berek
Captain N / LAAG64
Captain Pants / Ragnar
Cartman86 / Cartman86
Cronosblade/Cronosblade
chubigans / chubigans
Dark Schala / Dark_Schala
DemonNite / DemonNite
DoctorWho / Proteus4
Epic Drop / Epic Drop
famousmortimer / famousmortimer
felipepl / felipepl
Gaspode_T / Gaspode_T
InfectedZero / InfectedZero
Jaroof / Jaroof4500
Jeff-DSA / jar155
JEKKI / JEKKI
Jinfash / Jinfash
krpiper / krpiper
krumble / krysAmerica
Kryptonic / Kryptonic83
lastflowers / cjarrett3
Lowtecky / lowtecky
madmaxx350 / madmaxx350
Matrix / Matrixadw
Mejilan / Mejilan
MikeE21286 / MikeE21286
Mutagenic / Jaguwar
Nert / Nert23
Noreturn / NRaze
Pai Pai Master / PaiPai
perfect free / Starhowler
Reluctant-Hero / Reluctant-Hero
RoylAsult / RoylAsult
Sallokin / Sallokin
Saterium / Saterium
Shawn128 / Shawn128
snorggy / snorggy
Spinning Plates / SpinningPlates10
Square Triangle / Jrod87
staticneuron / staticneuron
Syn23 / SynThrasher23
TheApatheticOne / TheApatheticOne
the_prime_mover / Palantiri
Vaco6121 / Vaco6121
Wario64 / Wario64
Xathos / Zyantos
youngplaya21 / youngplaya21
zoku88 / zoku88

Nert

If I made any factual errors or left out any important information, let me know and I'll correct it. Otherwise, I wanted to keep things brief and to the point.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My copy came today. I can't wait till tomorrow when I can finally play it. My PSP experience began with Lumines and so will my Vita experience.

GAF- Captain Pants
PSN- Ragnar

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why weren't these OT's not up earlier? Glad to see them Vita games getting their own OT's. A little late but the others need some too.

Nert

Why weren't these OT's not up earlier? Glad to see them Vita games getting their own OT's. A little late but the others need some too.

After seeing that no one was planning on making one for this game, I volunteered yesterday. It is sort of odd.

CSX

anyone know if Always Loved a Film is the instrumental version or the vocal version in this game? just wondering

Ridley327

Bold prediction: Rocket will be this game's Shake Ya Body, in that you will never ever get it out of your head once you hear it.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA, I GOT A ROCKET

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA, YOU'RE GOING ON IT

TheBear

Never played Lumines, but the hype and solid reviews are making me pay attention. Will probably have a go at the demo first.

Alchemy

I just came in here to say 'fuck you', that song is now stuck in my head. I'm in for this on the 22nd. Infinite tower time.

Nert

Still no list of original tracks?

I wasn't able to find one, unfortunately. All I've seen so far comes from Ubisoft's PR blurb:

"Star-studded musical line-up - Featuring some of the best and brightest names in electronic music, Lumines for PS Vita's soundtrack is a diverse selection of known artists as well as original tracks composed by Q Entertainment's sound team."

I have a copy of this in my bag but won't be getting the system until next week. :lol

So hyped.

Although I'm going with the digital version, I also wont be able to join the fun until the 22nd. I can always preoccupy myself in the mean time by mashing refresh on the Vita launch thread and complaining about Sonic's shitty friends.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Gaf - Matrix
PSN - Matrixadw

I'll have my copy tomorrow, though I cant play till I get my wifi only system *weeps*

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is the only game that's keeping me in the "I might just pick a VITA up after all"-group.

Xander51

I'll be downloading this tomorrow. You can add me if you like! Same name as my GAF name, Xander51. I'll go through and add people from the thread tomorrow morning.

I was going to wait until it his 25, but the target sale is begging me to purchase this lovely game.

GAF: lastflowers
PSN: cjarrett3

Please release lots and lots of DLC.

Was happy to see that vs Computer doesn't appear to be a mode. I always forced myself to play it and hated it every single time I did.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think i will pick this up when i buy my vita as well.

i guess ill buy the vita tomorrow, why not.

Top Bottom