• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

There are some servers with 100+ people now anyway.

I hope past Alpha we see some new maps, though, as well as enemies.

I really hope they don't do multiple maps ever. The current one is massive and adding to that is fine but not anything that would split it up. They should keep it to surviving this world, not map.

Also a player limit up to 500 would be incredibly too high, especially considering that's about the amount of zombies usually in game. Anymore zombies than that would start to feel like too many.

I don't want to sound like everything has to stay the same but what it is right now is why it's refreshing and so interesting. Bringing in maps, levels, larger servers, easier transportation, choosing spawn points, and the things people are used to would be the kiss of death. I doubt they'll go that way since Rocket seems to really understand but going forward is going to be interesting considering the influx of general players.

Enco

I really hope they don't do multiple maps ever. The current one is massive and adding to that is fine but not anything that would split it up. They should keep it to surviving this world, not map.

Also a player limit up to 500 would be incredibly too high, especially considering that's about the amount of zombies usually in game. Anymore zombies than that would start to feel like too many.

I don't want to sound like everything has to stay the same but what it is right now is why it's refreshing and so interesting. Bringing in maps, levels, larger servers, easier transportation, choosing spawn points, and the things people are used to would be the kiss of death. I doubt they'll go that way since Rocket seems to really understand but going forward is going to be interesting considering the influx of general players.
Totally agree with you.

This isn't the type of game that needs loads of stuff like that. Next thing you know we'll have kill streaks.

One huge map with 100 people is more than enough.

Phandy

You guys know about tents right. Tents are a good way to help around the perma-death situation.

I think the plan is that you can put up tents somewhere and store stuff inside them, and come back to them with it all there. Currently they disappear when you die but I don't believe that is supposed to happen.

I think this will help for a bit of stability across characters and feeling of progression all the time because you can set up a camp of sorts that you can always come back to. Obviously though its open to being found and stolen from, and you potentially spawn a long way away from it.

Also, 100player servers would be perfect IMO.

Oh man, THERE it is! Now I'm totally feeling this mod!

My last session was the real deal, night time, meeting people and seeing them killed shortly after, managing to walk in a giant circle for about an hour, meeting with two others and teaming up with them until my untimely death. I had an excellent time and am definitely going to keep playing.

To the teammate who ran off into the darkness to find me food, thank you. To the bandit who lured me in and then sniped me... Well, I think I'm just a bit too trusting. But hey, it's all part of the experience; I thought it was an awesome way to go out.

Also, for fellow Australian players who didn't know this, playing on US servers is perfectly acceptable. I don't know what my actual ping was, but it didn't really feel laggy at all and I was able to shoot zombies and interact with other players just fine.

zon

I'm finally feeling like I've learned a little on how to survive in this world. I spent most of Sunday playing this game and I had a lot of fun.

At the beginning of the day I started out in the office building in elektro from the day before. Within 30 minutes I bumped into a bandit, he had claimed he was friendly on side channel before but I wasn't going to take any chances. I had started to get some decent gear on me. So when we bumped into each other I blasted away immediately. The fact that the guy had even more food/meds and gear (specifically the map) than I did was just a bonus. :)

While I was trying to decide on what I wanted to take with me I started hearing footsteps nearby. I got worried and thought it might be a friend of the bandit, so I hid and waited for him to show up. When I could finally see him he was actually looking straight at me, which didn't make my paranoia any better. I fired at him with my Winchester but he had managed to move behind a box at the same time as I fired. Then somehow he shot me with his Enfield while he was still behind the box. Doh.

Luckily I respawned at some docks to the east of elektro so I would enter the city from the right direction. I figured that my killer wouldn't be able to take everything from both my and the bandit's corpse so there has to be stuff left for me. I hoof it back as fast as I can and I manage to sneak into elektro/the office building without being spotted. Strangely enough the guy who killed me hadn't taken anything! He had left my corpse untouched and the bandit hadn't been around either. Lucky me! I quickly snatch my gear up and then I go into the grocery store that's nearby. Staying around the office building felt unsafe after my last two meetings. I stock up some more in terms of food/drink while considering what the hell I should do.

I had tons of ammo, meds, food and water. I had a winchester and a revolver. Staying in elektro felt like I would be a huge target to any freshly spawned player. So I turn my sights to the north and leave the cities behind. That was the start of my (still ongoing) journey. I made visit to the dam area that's not far from the power plant outside elektro but it had nothing worth mentioning. Calling it a dam is a bit of a misnomer too, it's basically a large pond with a regular house nearby. There's also a small shack there that can spawn some items if you're desperate. Onwards, then. I check the map and see some castle buildings at Rog Por. That could be interesting, and I did hear that better backpacks can spawn around those places... My visit to the place was fairly uneventful though, there was a vest pouch, a can of pasta, a pepsi and some roadflares. Whoopee.

I decide to visit Msta in the hopes of finding additional food/water as I want to have those stocked at all times. Food and water should always be your primary goal unless you've really, really stocked up on it. You have to consume them fairly often when you trek across the country. When I finally reach Msta I'm in for a big surprise, the place was littered with zombies! It was like someone had spawned 2 zombies for every house this tiny village had and I could only see one house I could enter to boot. Basically, it was impossible for me to go anywhere near that place without becoming zombie chow. At the end of my recon of the village I do see something interesting though, a barn at the southeast end of the village. Far enough to not pull all the zombies if I have to defend myself. After taking care of the 4 zombies guarding the place I manage to scrounge some cans of beans and some cans of coke. I even got some extra buckshot for my troubles. Neat. Though said buckshot had to be used after a zombie spotted me, and my shots attracted another 6 zombies.

Now I was done with Msta, and I started to feel too close to the eastern coast. Time to move inwards. On my way to Staroye I hear some gunshots in the distance though I can't see who's shooting. Makarov bullets? Out here? It's more likely than you think. After some recon with my binoculars where I can't see anyone at all I decide to move on. I pass Staroye which only yielded some ammo for my revolver, Shakhovka is even worse and only offers empty cans. I want to visit Stary/Novy Sobor but the distance is too large to just run straight there. A detour in Guglovo is needed. Off we go. Straight through the forest to the tiny settlement. I find some zombies but not much else. Weak. On a whim I decide to journey to the grey dots on the map south of Novy Sobor. Maybe they will a something.

Boy oh boy. Compared to the last three villages I've been to, I hit the jackpot. Two hunting rifles with a total of five clips of ammo, an Enfield, ammo for my revolver, shotgun ammo, cans of food and soda (3-4 of each) and a Makarov with 6 clips of ammo. All this was guarded by 8-9 zombies. It was like taking candy from a baby. My Winchester had served me faithfully, but out in the wilderness I rarely have to deal with zombies. I was getting more worried about players shooting me from afar. It was time to leave the shotgun for something more suited for long distances, like one of the hunting rifles I had just found.

I was as ready as I would ever be to enter Novy Sobor. I started moving north and entered the southern part of the town but something was very very wrong. Where are all the zombies?! The souther/eastern parts are completely empty! The last time I found a settlement empty of zombies I was killed by a sniper... shit. I sneak up to the church which is in the middle of the town and get inside as quietly/quickly as I can. What I find or rather what I don't find makes me even more paranoid. A church has 5-6 loot spots so you'd expect to see items spread out inside the building. The church I entered only had some empty tin cans and road flares in the spot to the right of the entrance. All the other spots were cleaned out. Damn it. After a few minutes of trying listening for any noise my paranoia gets the better of me. I log out.

To be continued.

This is one of the best mods ever. :)

Slair

I think if they added a very simple form of cosmetic character progression it'd be kinda cool. Just now they have the bandit skin replace the default skin if you go around killing people, if they took this idea further and made it so you respawn as a particular character after you die based on the actions you did in your past life or past couple lives. For example if you spent alot of time using medical supplies on other people you'd spawn wearing a doctor or nurses outfit, or if you did alot of shooting and doing risky rescues you'd come back as a cop. People would be able to see really quickly if you'd be an asset to the group. Probably be quite a hard thing to implement and the group would probably consist of 90% cops but i suppose thats better than the 100% blue shirt guy we have just now.

robin2

Just bought CO from Steam, this better be worth it!
Well, for you it's too late but I'd advise not buying the game specifically for this mod, right know: it is in alpha, and yesterday it took 10 to 30 minutes to get into the game (between being stuck wiht "Waiting for server response" and finding a spot in the overcrowded servers).
If someone was already tempted by Arma 2 and uses this occasion to do the final step into it, then it's ok.

Sethos

Banned
Engine doesn't even support that many ...

Plenty of maps out there for the game, some smaller and maybe even better suited for this. They should check out Celle 2, great size for fewer people
with highways and excellent towns.

J-Rock

Banned
Yeah, I'd rather they focus on polishing what is already there. Adding too much new gameplay would ruin it. I wouldn't mind if they added things that don't change the core gameplay though. Like being able to find clothing. Find a cool jacket or hat but lose it when killed. Would add more color to the game without altering the actual gameplay.

jgminto

Been looking at this and it's very cool. Definitely want to try it when I get a PC that can run it.

I think if they added a very simple form of cosmetic character progression it'd be kinda cool. Just now they have the bandit skin replace the default skin if you go around killing people, if they took this idea further and made it so you respawn as a particular character after you die based on the actions you did in your past life or past couple lives. For example if you spent alot of time using medical supplies on other people you'd spawn wearing a doctor or nurses outfit, or if you did alot of shooting and doing risky rescues you'd come back as a cop. People would be able to see really quickly if you'd be an asset to the group. Probably be quite a hard thing to implement and the group would probably consist of 90% cops but i suppose thats better than the 100% blue shirt guy we have just now.

A cosmetic system would be cool. Especially for setting up clans. But I think a perk system similar to Project Zomboid would be really cool. Start with the standard character and allow the player to choose perks for their character but assign each perk a number. Each number would add to your perk score and you will need to keep the score at zero or less to create the character.

So for example, (Athletic: Faster sprint 3+). So to balance it out you would have to add 3 negative points like (Big Eater: Need to eat more than usual 1-) and (Thinblooded: Bleed out faster 2-). You would have to put quite a bit of work into balancing it but I think it would benefit the game a lot. And then when you die you can try a different combination and see if it is more effective.

Slair

Been looking at this and it's very cool. Definitely want to try it when I get a PC that can run it.

A cosmetic system would be cool. Especially for setting up clans. But I think a perk system similar to Project Zomboid would be really cool. Start with the standard character and allow the player to choose perks for their character but assign each perk a number. Each number would add to your perk score and you will need to keep the score at zero or less to create the character.

So for example, (Athletic: Faster sprint 3+). So to balance it out you would have to add 3 negative points like (Big Eater: Need to eat more than usual 1-) and (Thinblooded: Bleed out faster 2-). You would have to put quite a bit of work into balancing it but I think it would benefit the game a lot. And then when you die you can try a different combination and see if it is more effective.

Actually that would create an interesting dynamic. Everyone in DayZ is created equally, no one in the real world is, "do you save the slow fat guy who's lagging behind while being chased by zombies because he's got some good perks that would help the group or do you shoot him in the leg to save yourselves?".

I'm always a bit funny about "perks", but if done right, could be great.

Gowans

The player count and size of map really gives this game a great tone, 128 I think would be the max and keep the feeling.

Bar polish the other stuff i'd like to see was maybe the ability to make encampments and fortifications as well as dependents to go scavenging for

They have to be careful tho the isolation is what makes this game, some would say the chat box might even be on the edge of breaking that.

Gowans

A few things I think we could do with too to help new players and help us out.

- A updated OP & Changed Title [With full guide etc & latest updates]
- Someone to investigate a GAF server? [I can email the guys to see what we need to do but it might, super busy].​

The GAF steam community is doing well tho 60 people so far
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NeoGAFDayZ

What's the meaning of the hour glass appearing? After playing for an hour I finally found some stuff and when I wanted to pick it up the hour glass appeared and I couldn't do anything. A zombie then beat me to death after a while.

But I love the feeling of actually having very few dudes around, it makes it much more interesting. They just suddenly pop up instead of always being around.

Ruuppa

Tip: Don't shoot a sniper rifle in a town. Don't let anyone with one tell you "I'll handle it." Staroye had something around 30 zombies jumping on us 5 seconds after the shot, and we barely hoofed it with Red blood. Had to hunt boars and rabbits for half an hour after that to get enough blood to see something, and then we spent 15 minutes looking for a town with a well, to which we had to sneak to avoid all the zombies.

I love this mod.
What's the meaning of the hour glass appearing? After playing for an hour I finally found some stuff and when I wanted to pick it up the hour glass appeared and I couldn't do anything. A zombie then beat me to death after a while.
The hourglass means you're down for the count, unconscious. Usually because you have less than 3000 Blood or so.

sullytao

This sounds like the game I have been waiting for all my life. It's sod's law that it is a mod for a game that I will never get my tiny brain around. Here's hoping the success leads to a stand alone product with a view to making it easy to get to grips with, yet still keep the same atmosphere and depth.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the big land mass with few players around makes it freaking great nothing beats coming to a town you think to be deserted only to come across another player and have no idea what their intentions are its really tense

Slair

This sounds like the game I have been waiting for all my life. It's sod's law that it is a mod for a game that I will never get my tiny brain around. Here's hoping the success leads to a stand alone product with a view to making it easy to get to grips with, yet still keep the same atmosphere and depth.

The mod is nowhere near as complicated as arma 2 actually is or seems, i never played arma before i played this mod and i'm sure there are more in this thread in the same boat. i was up and running relatively quickly in the sense i learned the controls and what not, up and running in the sense of finding a server that has slots open is another story. Everyone in this thread is here to help if you do decide to jump in, except for the scummy bandits, dont belive their lies.

Icefire1424

My apologies if I missed this somewhere, but anyone else getting a laundy list of errors tring to log into a server? Installed the mod last night but couldn't get in because it wsa saying I was missing a bunch of objects (or something like that - sorry for being vague, away from my home PC).

Have a physical copy of ArmA 2 and Steam version of OA, wonder if that has something to do with it.

Either way, been creeping on the boards and checking out YouTube vids on this for the last few days - some amazing potential here.

My apologies if I missed this somewhere, but anyone else getting a laundy list of errors tring to log into a server? Installed the mod last night but couldn't get in because it wsa saying I was missing a bunch of objects (or something like that - sorry for being vague, away from my home PC).

Have a physical copy of ArmA 2 and Steam version of OA, wonder if that has something to do with it.

Either way, been creeping on the boards and checking out YouTube vids on this for the last few days - some amazing potential here.

That happened to me and I just re downloaded the DayZ files and copied over the ones I already had and that fixed it.

Noaloha

Random idea which utterly goes against the realistic, real-time nature of the game but, rather than levelling-up in the typical fashion and/or allocating perks and stuff, what if the game had a hyper-accelerated age mechanic, where you spawn into the world as a ten year old and every 30 minutes you age by a single year, with the game representing your age / time alive as a player visually through the character model you have. You spawn in with that of a wee child and your carrying capacity, recoil control, speed etc is hindered by your puny pre-pubescent frame. Would bandits shoot children? Four or five hours down the line and, if you're still alive, you're at the height of your abilities as a late-teen/early twenties. If you somehow manage to survive for another twenty hours though, you're getting grey, slowing down, more prone to broken bones and your character skin has a sweet bushy moustache and a tweed flatcap.

Player addiction, I mean. It's like, dying in Demon's/Dark Souls isn't as big of a deal as it might be in other games, because the game is designed around it. It's still intense and annoying, but it's okay. Same goes for perma death here. You don't want it to happen, but the game seems to lend itself to the philosophy that if you die it's okay, and there's encouragement to keep playing despite starting from scratch.

They'll need to be careful they don't break that idea by making death more tedious and punishing than it needs to be. Like, hypothetically, if there was a levelling system/skills. It sounds good on paper, but what you'd end up with is a bunch of high levelled people aggressively defending their ranking, low level folk used as fodder, and every death goddamn annoying as all your work is undone.

Obviously there needs to be punishment and loss for death, but it seems DayZ's greatest strength is the unknown. It's a true sandbox experience: largely objectiveness beyond the need to survive. It makes every encounter with another player an unknown, unpredictable event. Throw too many rule sets, goals and traditional design in there and you'd see behaviour dilute down to what works best.

After spending the better part of an entire night playing, I completely agree. The fundamentals of the game should be locked in stone. The complete lack of objectives allows the players to create their own narrative and objectives, it's like Journey meets Demon's Souls crossed with STALKER.

Orgun

After spending the better part of an entire night playing, I completely agree. The fundamentals of the game should be locked in stone. The complete lack of objectives allows the players to create their own narrative and objectives, it's like Journey meets Demon's Souls crossed with STALKER.

It should come up with one objective at the start

SURVIVE

Orgun

It already does that, pops up your location and a Day count of 0.

True :)

KKRT

oxcgn-metal-gear-11.jpg

I'll never forget you brah, and the hell we went through in Postoshka

CoolS

Been playing this with a buddy all morning and After getting to know the controls and dying a few times, it just clicked. So many amazing stories to tell already. But for now my favourite moment:

We were on our way to a Little town (the Name i forgot, something starting with M) when we saw a barn. Since my friend was low on ammo, we decided to get closer, even though the place was swarming with walkers. So we crawled in there very slowly stopping and waiting from Time to time to let a walker Pass by. As we got closer we heard more an more moans. But we had still hope there were none inside untill I spotted one. We discussed trying to risk it and kill them all but in the end that was Way to risky. While crawling back out, the groans and moans got louder and there were a Lot more as well. Our Death Seiende certain. But Talking it very slow, we were able to survive in the end.

Awesome mod:)

KKRT00

True :)

KKRT

oxcgn-metal-gear-11.jpg

I'll never forget you brah, and the hell we went through in Postoshka

You cant live forever (or more than serveral hours if we're talking about DayZ :p), right? :>

Last shots of us and cage of the death i've got:

Advise for everyone: Never fight in buildings in center of the city, never ever!
You wont win.

Sordid

Ran around today for about an hour and a half just now, I'm still confused by the inventory system but I did manage to pick up an Alice pack and refill my water bottle. Didn't meet anyone but the people on chat seemed pretty friendly and helpful.

Found a town/city with no zombies or people about. It's pretty eerie exploring buildings alone, I found no loot but was having fun. Then outta nowhere I was swarmed by zombies leaving a building, I've no idea where they came from but I died in seconds. It was awesome!

Just got round to watching most of that Criken stream. So fucking good, I really do like watching people play nearly as much as playing it myself.

Also, I'd be happy to throw in some cash for a server, maybe for a reserved slot.

Blizzard

Banned
I'll probably try again, but I think my main issue with the mod (other than only being able to play at night, I need to find a non-US and/or day-only server) is that it was like Minecraft but without the safety or the building or the mining. You can just wander and explore the map, but you can't really making a sealed building and easily wait for day, loot and buildings take a LONG time to find, and the single biggest issue I have is that the map is so huge, but everyone apparently spawns on the south shore. So to get anywhere near any friends who are already playing, you will have to literally hold down the W key for like 1-2 hours, and if at any time during that run you are spotted by zombies, there is apparently no way to distract them unless you have a smoke grenade. There's no melee like left 4 dead, and the zombies are so fast and jerky that shooting them when they run at you it not very feasible.

Long story short, if there was an option for a smaller map where 2 real-life hours of walking through nothingness was not required to get near the middle/north of the map, that might be fun for some people.

Anyone heard about a Gremlin?

Yesterday on the Server DE2 there were some people writing about a Gremlin on the map.
I dont know what it is or where you can find it.

I completely forgot I bought CO for 12.50 from Amazon DD a year ago. So I downloaded and installed ArmA2, and now installing OA, then do I have to update Combined Operations or each individually?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone heard about a Gremlin?

Yesterday on the Server DE2 there were some people writing about a Gremlin on the map.
I dont know what it is or where you can find it.

It's a car :3

Top Bottom