• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

I think the mass produced pearls are more likely since it goes in line with Amethyst's "overcooked runt" read and overall similarity to Jasper.

Other theory is Pearl is going to become corrupted at some point in the series.

Maybe while with Rose she let him see what the war was like? Maybe and ability or some Gem tech that let him experience the war as if he was there.

Also in Episode 8, who is the Gem that Rose is fighting in the mural inside the pyramid? Yellow Diamond? You can also see a similar symbol in the pyramid as in Peridot's hand ship.

This was what I was thinking . My GF and I were wondering if Rose and Greg ever fused, and maybe he experienced her memories of the war through that. Or maybe she just had some other way of sharing the experience with him.

I'm looking forward to when they shed more light on it, because Greg obviously knows way more than he lets on .

Anyone have a list of all the important plot/character development episodes? I really want to get my brother into the show but he tends to write shows off quickly without giving them a chance and I'm not sure if he'll stick around long enough to see the massive bump in quality the last half of the season had.

This happened with gurren lagann initially but I managed to get him to watch the whole thing and now its one of his favorite shows lol.

Epcott

.... theres an uncle grandpa crossover...? Why? Thats literally the worst show they got. Any other choice wouldve been better, even legos.

Normally I would agree, as Uncle Grandpa rubs me the wrong way at times. However, this has the potential to be pretty good. The Wikipedia description says Uncle Grandpa represents the uncle and grandpa of every child. He visits children with problems and attempts to solve them through misadventures.

After Jailbreak and Disclosure, Steven seems to have issues with his self identity. Hopefully they don't pass this crossover off as a simple goofy adventure. I think it'd be interesting and great to see how UG helps Steven with his self doubt. Although, I also have a nagging feeling it may just be "Oh, Steven lost his cheeseburger backpack. Uncle G is going to help him find it" instead of an episode of feels (going by how UG episodes normally play out).

Psxphile

Maybe while with Rose she let him see what the war was like? Maybe and ability or some Gem tech that let him experience the war as if he was there.

This was what I was thinking . My GF and I were wondering if Rose and Greg ever fused, and maybe he experienced her memories of the war through that. Or maybe she just had some other way of sharing the experience with him.

If she really wanted him to see what Gem war was like, her room in the temple would be one way to get the point across. It'd definitely account for his "it's not like I was actually there" comment.

Raxus

At this point I am ambivalent about the crossover. I still don't get why people loathe Uncle Grandpa so much and the creators seem pumped about it. If it turns out to be an amusing romp with a monster of the week I'll be happy. I think the humor in Steven Universe has been pretty great up to this point so having a magical Grandpa to knock things around should make for an interesting episode. I just hope that it is set in Steven's world since I like the art more in SU than UG.

As far as episodes to get people into the series I'd recommend episodes with Connie and the Lion Trilogy.

I find it kind of tricky to not encourage people to watch from episode 1 because Steven really grows as a character as season 1 progressed and it especially shows when you reach quieter episodes like 'Political Power' which really start to switch Steven from a liability on missions to legitimately being part of the Crystal Gems. Much of the payoff of the finale was from that growth. 'I am a Crystal Gem too!', 'Oh Steven, we already love you.', etc.

Psxphile

Agreed. The show is just more rewarding when you take everything in, and not just the highlights.

And adding to that, people wanting only episodes that introduce more lore and less of what they think a "filler" episode is need to understand that "lore" episodes are that much more powerful because of the casual world-building we get from the more laid-back, slice-of-life stories. This show would get pretty ridiculous pretty fast if they kept trying to top themselves on a per-episode basis with big reveals, new characters, dbz-level battles (the power creep is real) and the "consequences" would matter a whole lot less.

Just saw that on Tumblr:

k3IjjJn.png

Eh. :p

Agreed. The show is just more rewarding when you take everything in, and not just the highlights.

And adding to that, people wanting only episodes that introduce more lore and less of what they think a "filler" episode is need to understand that "lore" episodes are that much more powerful because of the casual world-building we get from the more laid-back, slice-of-life stories. This show would get pretty ridiculous pretty fast if they kept trying to top themselves on a per-episode basis with big reveals, new characters, dbz-level battles (the power creep is real) and the "consequences" would matter a whole lot less.

Yeah, only problem is that I'm afraid if I don't show him all the cool stuff first he'll just not care about the show and ignore it all together. This is the same guy that fast forwarded through the Avengers to see the New York fight scene. Although if he doesn't appreciate the 'slower' episodes maybe the show isn't for him.

Unbounded

Yeah, only problem is that I'm afraid if I don't show him all the cool stuff first he'll just not care about the show and ignore it all together. This is the same guy that fast forwarded through the Avengers to see the New York fight scene. Although if he doesn't appreciate the 'slower' episodes maybe the show isn't for him.

If you skip to the cool stuff the impact will be lost.

Oh, and fun little thing on pearl:

Those are all of her previous forms. You can see them in Steven the Sword fighter. You can also see her prolapsed anus design from the pilot.

Raxus

If you want to get your friend interested in the show then the pilot is a must for groundwork. After that see if he wants to continue sequentially or if he wants to watch choice episodes.

A good action episode: Steven the Swordfighter (good for the WTF?!? factor as well), Alternatives: Steven's Lion, Giant Woman
A good comedy episode: Cheeseburger Backpack, Cat Fingers, Tiger Millionaire
A good character episode: Bubble Buddies

Zubz

Banned

Those are all of her previous forms. You can see them in Steven the Sword fighter. You can also see her prolapsed anus design from the pilot.

Nice! I wonder if we'll ever see any of them in a flashback, or something. I mean, with how much we're starting to look at the history of the Gem Wars, I'm sure we'll see Rose and Pearl (And maybe pre-fusion Ruby & Sapphire) in the spotlight if that happens, and this suggests to me that she "died" several times before Swordfighter.

Trago

I love that this OT has blown up. I wish I knew y'all watched the show in the beginning so I could have people to discuss the show with.

KiN0

Be honest, guys: I know nothing about Steven Universe but I love Adventure Time. Should I dive in?

If you loved the Marceline episodes, you will love SU. It isn't as bizarre, surreal, or random as AT, but it has a stronger overarching story and more substantial character growth. In my opinion of course.

Not

Banned
For me it was the fact that her voice actress was a famous singer. I alway thought it was weird that she was the only one of the crystal gems to have a famous singer voicing her but after finding out that aimee man voiced opal, it sort of clicked with the rest of the evidence.

Well who voices Alexandrite

Toxi

Banned
Anyone have a list of all the important plot/character development episodes? I really want to get my brother into the show but he tends to write shows off quickly without giving them a chance and I'm not sure if he'll stick around long enough to see the massive bump in quality the last half of the season had.

This happened with gurren lagann initially but I managed to get him to watch the whole thing and now its one of his favorite shows lol.
Decent starting list of absolutely necessary episodes.

• Laser Light Cannon
  • Bubble Buddies
  • Steven's Lion
  • Giant Woman
  • Steven the Sword Fighter
  • Lion 2: The Movie
  • Monster Buddies
  • An Indirect Kiss
  • Mirror Gem
  • Ocean Gem
  • Lion 3: Straight to Video
  • Fusion Cuisine
  • Warp Tour
  • Future Vision
  • On the Run
  • Winter Forecast
  • Marble Madness
  • Rose's Scabbard
  • The Message
  • The Return
  • Jailbreak
  • Full Disclosure

Also some really good episodes to watch that aren't plot relevant

• Cheeseburger Backpack
  • Tiger Millionaire
  • So Many Birthdays
  • Coach Steven
  • Rose's Room
  • House Guest
  • Space Race
  • Alone Together
  • The Test

And to repeat what other people have said, the "filler" episodes are important and your friend should watch them. The plot-relevant episodes work best when they're spread out at the start and gradually increase in frequency.
Be honest, guys: I know nothing about Steven Universe but I love Adventure Time. Should I dive in?
Yes. Wholehearted yes.

Not

Banned

Also in Episode 8, who is the Gem that Rose is fighting in the mural inside the pyramid? Yellow Diamond? You can also see a similar symbol in the pyramid as in Peridot's hand ship.

J88sAdN.jpg

Judging by the floor pattern, there are possibly 3 leading Diamonds: Yellow Diamond, Blue Diamond, and White Diamond (not including pink diamond, who Rose Quartz might be/serve under).

a34f7226c2402a5dbbcc28fe3fd5b9b5.jpg

Looks like White Diamond to me.

She specifically referred to Pearl as a defective pearl. That wording has led people to believe that Pearl is perhaps a mass-produced model of gem.

Pearls actually do come in a lot of different colors so it's certainly possible that there are silver, brown, blue, or black Pearls doing their thing on the homeworld.

Not

Banned

TbEEHtN.png

Holy shit this. Is. Awesome. Look at that first iteration. Looks like essentially a blank slate/android/drone thing.

What if with each regeneration, Gems change appearance to be more in tune with their experiences/personality??!

What if Pearl started out as a menial featureless "Pearl" unit and with each regeneration, became the Pearl we know and love today?

Raxus

Well Steven Universe just began it's second season so it could go on a downward spiral i it's later seasons.

The reddit chat with Rebecca Sugar shows she still has plenty of ideas and an overarching plan so I am not too worried about that.

I would also like to add that it really shows how big of a loss Rebecca was to Adventure Time when she left to do Steven Universe. She storyboarded (arguably) Adventure Time's best episode "I Remember You" and was credited for most of the songs. It really shows in Steven Universe too with the amount of music the show is lavished with.

I will go on the record saying I still love Adventure Time for many reasons but they never were able to fill the shoes Rebecca left behind.

Holy shit this. Is. Awesome. Look at that first iteration. Looks like essentially a blank slate/android/drone thing.
to
gotta love the little easter eggs in the animation in the show. Jailbreak and the interface for the doors and controls point to the gems possibly being computerish in origin.

rexor0717

Yes! Wait, why am I happy about that. lol

You're right about that.
Pretty much everything that made episodes like Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem and The Return/Jail Break great (The mystery, the adventure, the thrill, the hero moments, etc.) would kind of be "ho-hum" run-of-the-meal moments if they happened all the time; plus, I've yet to see anybody do craziness upon craziness upon craziness in a fully satisfying believable way.

The slow and steady start with lots of character development and world building that leads to a revealing mid-point and then a bombastic even more revealing end-point just makes for a better more solid interest curve in my opinion; it basically mirrors what you see in almost every critically/publicly acclaimed commercially successful film/TV Show/videogame/etc.

Normally I would agree, as Uncle Grandpa rubs me the wrong way at times. However, this has the potential to be pretty good. The Wikipedia description says Uncle Grandpa represents the uncle and grandpa of every child. He visits children with problems and attempts to solve them through misadventures.

After Jailbreak and Disclosure, Steven seems to have issues with his self identity. Hopefully they don't pass this crossover off as a simple goofy adventure. I think it'd be interesting and great to see how UG helps Steven with his self doubt. Although, I also have a nagging feeling it may just be "Oh, Steven lost his cheeseburger backpack. Uncle G is going to help him find it" instead of an episode of feels (going by how UG episodes normally play out).
I guaranty you it will be a HUR HUR UNCLE GRANDPAAAAA episode, I'm willing to bet my ps4(not really) that it will. and watch it not be funny either cause well, uncle grandpa isn't funny. at all.

its pretty slow and boring at first(but the music is top notch) but eventually it gets really good imo, even surpassing adventure time's current state.

iosefe

back on the subject of the song right there. them youtube comments really got me thinking.

"it might be Lapis singing"

considering the song, "Love Like You" is featured specifically as part of the soundtrack for Ocean Gem, it's something related to her.

I guaranty you it will be a HUR HUR UNCLE GRANDPAAAAA episode, I'm willing to bet my ps4(not really) that it will. and watch it not be funny either cause well, uncle grandpa isn't funny. at all.

The PR for the episode says that Uncle Grandpa helps Steven with his powers so I wouldn't write it off just yet:

Watch as a long-lost relative of Steven’s comes to town to aid him in unlocking the power of his mother’s gem!

Could go either way honestly.

Not

Banned
Still can't believe how much the lore stuff made me more pumped for this show. When it first started, I wasn't nearly as excited for new episodes as I am now

Zubz

Banned
Went to 2 comic stores looking for Steven Universe comics. Both places were sold out. Has anyone read them? Are they any good?

I usually see issues in my local comic shop, too, but I've never thought to check it out (I'll admit that, as much as I love this show, it's kind of a guilty pleasure). If anyone else can vouch for it, I might have to pick it up next time I'm over there.

The PR for the episode says that Uncle Grandpa helps Steven with his powers so I wouldn't write it off just yet:

Could go either way honestly.

hey man I'd love to eat crow but once you tell me you're doing anything related with that show you've pretty much lost my interest, I'll watch it anyway tho since its my friday morning show while i get ready for work, but if my dvr doesn't record it(cause sometimes it won't record what i put it to record, i have no idea why) i won't mind.

Epcott

There are some very funny segments of Uncle Grandpa, like the Xarna segments.

It has Adam Devine and Don Martin inspired art. Plus, it's not as bad as Johnny Test or Annoying Orange.

jk, it's barely tolerable

Raxus

There are some very funny segments of Uncle Grandpa, like the Xarna segments.

It has Adam Devine and Don Martin inspired art. Plus, it's not as bad as Johnny Test or Annoying Orange.

It doesn't make me want to tear my ears out whenever it is on so it already has a bunch of points in my book. Did these shows finally get canned (please god say yes).

Epcott

I think so... I've yet to run into 3 hour long Johnny Test marathons lately, and the last time I've seen Orange was in some obscure section of Hulu. Good riddance.

Maron

The SU crew have said they loved the way the episode turned out, and the description involves UG helping Steven utilize the power in his mother's gem. I'm looking forward to it. Uncle Grandpa is silly, dumb cartoon humor, has no shame in it, and also utilizes the absurdity of it's world in rather interesting and creative ways at times. I love SU but UG is a fine show too!

TheOGB

Banned
It doesn't make me want to tear my ears out whenever it is on so it already has a bunch of points in my book. Did these shows finally get canned (please god say yes).
They ran an all-day Johnny Test marathon this past Christmas with new episodes in it

New Johnny Test episodes

in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom