• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Dantis

Somehow I feel the only people getting punched right now are the ones who can't play import games. Lol.

It's important to me because I really don't think Soul Hackers will ever come out here. I'd pretty much resigned myself to never playing it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Somehow I feel the only people getting punched right now are the ones who can't play import games. Lol.

Nintendo's anti-consumerist actions have been going on for so long now, their seemingly never-ending punching of peoples dicks has inevitably lead to certain people beginning to like having their dicks punched.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The death of region locking will make me buy a 3DS. But I fear for the future race that's going to happen then between Nintendo, patching it out and hackers patching it back in.

As long as you're willing to accept that people will also think ahead and point out that they don't care about the "negative consequences" to a company at the expense of consumer benefit. But then in that case you will see that it becomes a pointless cycle where there is no constructive discussion other than "this is bad!" and "no it isnt" and "yes it is".

Piracy in this case is a bogeyman. It is an abstract concept used by the argument to justify why consumers should "suffer a little bit" for the "greater benefit". The truth is there is no greater benefit. As a 3DS owner, right now I am unable to play Japanese games on my US 3DS. After it has been hacked to break the region lock, I will be able to play Japanese games on my US 3DS.

I do not expect the 3DS market to collapse and die after it has been hacked, because the DS market did not collapse and die after R4s were manufactured everywhere.

I play lots of PC games, which are the easiest to be pirated anywhere, and yet the market does not seem to have collapsed and died either.

The 360 was hacked and piracy was rampant long before the Wii or PS3 were hacked, yet it remains the strongest platform worldwide.

Last of all, Smartphones are also regularly jail broken shortly after release, and there's a ton of piracy there too. Yet if you ask any smartphone user if they feel that a device getting hacked has a negative impact on them, they would look at you like you were crazy.

So yeah.

Ok then, crazy person leaves thread.

One last thing: There is quite a stretch between a 'collapsing market' and piracy having a negative effect on future development on a platform. I'm quite aware that this is a point that can't be backed up by any numbers, because no one can determine the amount of games NOT being made for a heavily pirated system because of it being hacked.

Still, I'm kinda baffled at the fact that this point of view gets sawn of as people "defending Nintendo", where it's more being worried about the health of a platform people invested in and are looking forward to a healthy software output for the following years.

Shahed

Couldn't think of how to fit them in!

It's important to me because I really don't think Soul Hackers will ever come out here. I'd pretty much resigned myself to never playing it.

Soul Hackers, SMTIV, other games like Radiant Historia and so on. Yeah it's not good

UK here. Not gonna happen

duckroll

Still, I'm kinda baffled at the fact that this point of view gets sawn of as people "defending Nintendo", where it's more being worried about the health of a platform people invested in and are looking forward to a healthy software output for the following years.

When did I say it was? I was just addressing your point since you asked. It has nothing to do with my previous point which was aimed at people like blu whose only interest seems to be replying to people who say something negative about Nintendo in particular.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Poster duckroll: 'What the fuck are you talking about?!'
Saying 'somebody had it coming' implies the subject's brought something upon herself.

If you drive at high speed on the interstate and you head-crash into a road-side tree, 'you had it coming'. If you're a psycho who kills puppies and you get run over by the school bus at the intersection in front of your house, 'you did not have it coming'. Yes, people may have wished you got repercussions, but you did not get bit by a cornered puppy who happened to carry a deadly disease, you got run over by a school bus. Is it clearer now?

duckroll

Saying 'somebody had it coming' implies the subject's brought something upon herself.

If you drive at high speed on the interstate and you head-crash into a road-side tree, 'you had it coming'. If you're a psycho who kills puppies and you get run over by the school bus at the intersection in front of your house, 'you did not have it coming'. Yes, people may have wished you got repercussions, but you did not get bit by a cornered puppy who happened to carry a deadly disease, you got run over by a school bus. It it clearer now?

Not really. Nintendo had it coming. They region locked their system, and now people going to get around that anyway. ?!?!?!?

It's puzzling how fixated you are on this when everyone else around you is utterly confused. Maybe you should reflect on why. :)

Dantis

Sorry dude. hope the 3ds hack will make your 3ds region free then :D

That's what we're hoping for!

If you drive at high speed on the interstate and you head-crash into a road-side tree, 'you had it coming'. If you're a psycho who kills puppies and you get run over by the school bus at the intersection in front of your house, 'you did not have it coming'. Yes, people may have wished you got repercussions, but you did not get bit by a cornered puppy who happened to carry a deadly disease, you got run over by a school bus. It it clearer now?

You boys are killing this topic. I don't even know what you're talking about any more. Is your outrage that people said they had it coming, rather than anything pertaining to the actual subject?

Because that's stupid.

When did I say it was? I was just addressing your point since you asked. It has nothing to do with my previous point which was aimed at people like blu whose only interest seems to be replying to people who say something negative about Nintendo in particular.

I think people who are only interested in coming into the thread to "defend" Nintendo against perceived acts of injustice in comments by other people need to just chill and reflect on the fact that it should mean nothing to you.

The discussion here is about the 3DS getting hacked. :)

Wasn't clear to me who you adressed this to then.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

If you drive at high speed on the interstate and you head-crash into a road-side tree, 'you had it coming'. If you're a psycho who kills puppies and you get run over by the school bus at the intersection in front of your house, 'you did not have it coming'. Yes, people may have wished you got repercussions, but you did not get bit by a cornered puppy who happened to carry a deadly disease, you got run over by a school bus. Is it clearer now?

W-what.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Analogies are fun but the original situation is easy enough to understand that you don't need to come up with silly stories to make your point, seriously.

Every time I'm ready to import a Japanese 3DS some new news comes out about a 3DS vulnerability. I hope something comes out of this and soon because I don't know if I can wait much longer than March (or whenever Monster Hunter 4 comes out). I already know I'm going to have a hell of a time finding Beyond the Labyrinth for a reasonable not-full-on-crazy release date price like Play-Asia and NCSX have listed.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You boys are killing this topic. I don't even know what you're talking about any more. Is your outrage that people said they had it coming, rather than anything pertaining to the actual subject?

Because that's stupid.
It surely is stupid seeing causality where none exists. And apologies about derailing the topic a tad, but it was quite funny seeing some of the reactions in this thread. Have a good day *tips hat*

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think we need a new thread that asks what 3DS games people will import immediately if this goes through.

squall23

I think we need a new thread that asks what 3DS games people will import immediately if this goes through.
This reminds me of a funny story. On another forum that I frequent, there are many anti-pirates. Those people actually turned out to be hypocrites. Recently when SRWOG2nd came out for PS3, when someone talked about downloading it or asking for links, there would be many "Buy the game!" posts afterwards. When SRWUX was announced for 3DS, the same people that told other people to buy SRWOG2nd are now demanding for a 3DS emulator and rom because of region-lock.

It's actually pretty fun calling out the supposed white knights like that.

Unless they can let me access the Japanese or European eshop, it's not going to make much of a difference to me. Good for people that import though. I hate the thought of piracy on 3ds because I really do believe that it will have a negative effect on what comes out in the future, but lets be honest, eventual piracy has nothing to do with region locking. The console would most likely be hacked one day anyway. At least with possibly getting rid of the region lock, some good will come out of the whole thing for consumers.

Shahed

This reminds me of a funny story. On another forum that I frequent, there are many anti-pirates. Those people actually turned out to be hypocrites. Recently when SRWOG2nd came out for PS3, when someone talked about downloading it or asking for links, there would be many "Buy the game!" posts afterwards. When SRWUX was announced for 3DS, the same people that told other people to buy SRWOG2nd are now demanding for a 3DS emulator and rom because of region-lock.

It's actually pretty fun calling out the supposed white knights like that.

That's just what region lock does to people. It turns them to the dark side :p

Shahed

Piracy is a much bigger problem than getting to play some obscure dating simulator.

I hate this attitude and while I don't like generalising, it happens a lot from people in the Americas. It's not simply to play Japanese games you know. In fact I don't care about them personally since I don't understand the language. There are plenty of games in the US that aren't released in the UK or elsewhere.

Besides since when are games like Type-0 and Bravery Default obscure dating games?

Durante

How does nintendo differ from any of the other console vendors in this regard?
This question has been answered already, but I still find it remarkable that it was even asked. Nintendo is the only platform holder that increased their region locking after all, while all others decreased it on their more recent platforms. That's a massive difference.

Well, what are they supposed to tell people? "Buy the game that won't run on your hardware"?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This question has been answered already, but I still find it remarkable that it was even asked. Nintendo is the only platform holder that increased their region locking after all, while all others decreased it on their more recent platforms. That's a massive difference.

Yeah with my NTSC-J 360 I can practically play almost everything I want to. It's not perfectly region free but I can play everything I want to personally.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So it begins.

But, you know, keep sticking your fingers in your ears, guys.

Well, considering we're still in "before" phases, he's just saying that IF the piracy is established, they'll have to rethink their approach to the console, it's obvious. Fortunately, it seems this exploit is easily patchable by Nintendo.

But still, I'll fear the piracy when I'll see it established with no possible intervention from Nintendo.

It's not more important than playing SMT4 though.
If you genuinely don't think piracy and it's effects on software sales aren't a bigger issue than you playing a single title, then I don't really know where to begin.

The myopia in this thread is tangible.

Region locking: bad for the consumer.
Piracy causing titles not to developed in the first place: worse for the consumer.

Dantis

If you genuinely don't think piracy and it's effects on software sales aren't a bigger issue than you playing a single title, then I don't really know where to begin.

Hacking is here. It would happen anyway. If a by-product of piracy means that I can play SMT4, then hooray for me. I would be mad to complain about it.

As a side-note, 3DS piracy is not a bigger issue for me personally. I have no interest in the 3DS. I have a large interest SMT.

solarus

The myopia in this thread is tangible.

Piracy causing titles not to developed in the first place: worse for the consumer.

I just think it's worse that you get people in this thread claiming that piracy has no effect on sales or on a developer's support towards a system. Yes they may continue to still support a system but that doesn't mean piracy is having no effect, it just means they believe the profit they believe they can turn in is worth the risk still, despite the fact that it is lower than it potentially could have been without piracy. If it gets real bad, devs will abandon ship and rightfully so. Still I'm all for region unlocking, may get me to repurchase a 3ds for cheap.

As a side-note, 3DS piracy is not a bigger issue for me personally. I have no interest in the 3DS. I have a large interest SMT.
Bully for you. Doesn't mean that those of us who have an interest in the future of the platform can't recognise the implications of piracy.

Of course, should piracy get to the stage where SMT games aren't viable any more, you'd be the first bitching and moaning.

Dantis

Bully for you. Doesn't mean that those of us who have an interest in the future of the platform can't recognise the implications of piracy.

Of course, should piracy get to the stage where SMT games aren't viable any more, you'd be the first bitching and moaning.

On 3DS?

I'd praise the fucking heavens.

duckroll

Yes, because there has never been piracy on any platform before this. Piracy is a brand new thing no one has experienced and there is a clear and present danger that when it does happen the world will end. Right.

ROFLMAO.

On 3DS?

You're doing a remarkably good job of missing the implications of what you say.

Where else would you expect these titles to land?
Yes, because there has never been piracy on any platform before this. Piracy is a brand new thing no one has experienced and there is a clear and present danger that when it does happen the world will end. Right.

ROFLMAO.
Right.

Are you just ignoring the effects that piracy had on DS software, and the lessons that third parties will take on board from that going forward, or what?

We already have dev testimony that, having seen the effect that rampant piracy had on the DS, they won't further support 3DS if the same becomes a reality there. Is that to be ignored, too?

Dantis

You're doing a remarkably good job of missing the implications of what you say.

Where else would you expect these titles to land?

You're missing the implications of what I'm saying.

SMT4 probably won't get released in England. Soul Hackers DEFINITELY won't get released in England.

The less games they make for 3DS, which was region locked due to Nintendo's backwards business practices, the happier I'll be.

And to answer your question, Vita.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

ROFLMAO.

Well, I fear piracy for what games 3DS can get, but it's better to say I fear DS-like piracy, where moms could buy 100 games in a card in an eye blink. 3DS should prevent DS-like piracy to happen due to costant firmware updates, games being usually much bigger, etc.etc. Let's say I hope it doesn't get close to be THAT dangerous.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
On 3DS?

Don't you think that's more than a little console-warish to say? I'm also interested, where you think it would going to be viable on if the 3DS became overrun with piracy.

Edit: Considering Vita's sales, there can be a lot of piracy going on on the 3DS before the active userbase on Vita starts eclipsing the 3DS one.

duckroll

Right.

Are you just ignoring the effects that piracy had on DS software, and the lessons that third parties will take on board from that going forward, or what?

We already have dev testimony that, having seen the effect that rampant piracy had on the DS, they won't further support 3DS if the same becomes a reality there. Is that to be ignored, too?

Yes I'm ignoring the effects that piracy had on the DS software because I have a TON of DS games to play all the way to the end, and I never saw any impact whatsoever.

Dantis

Don't you think that's more than a little console-warish to say? I'm also interested, where you think it would going to be viable on if the 3DS became overrun with piracy.

Not really? It's entirely relevant to what we were discussing.

I'm not saying "I want less SMT games on 3DS because 3DS is a bad platform", I'm saying "I want less SMT games on 3DS because I won't get to play them".

EDIT: Of course, the region unlock would make this invalid. If it goes through, yay for us, carry on Atlus etc. etc.

Edit: Considering Vita's sales, there can be a lot of piracy going on on the 3DS before the active userbase on Vita starts eclipsing the 3DS one.
I agree. It's not going to happen. But realistically, Atlus isn't going to stop developing 3DS games because of piracy either.

Pie and Beans

Haha, it really isn't. Consumer gonna consume regardless if they want to spend money on that game. Nintendo has instead found a way instead to tell that consumer to go shove it or import an entire hardware system just to play those games.

The 3DS isnt going to suddenly become unviable to developers looking to sell, just look at the easily pirated DS, or the remarkably simple Wii. Both still sold plenty of software. Stop yer flimsy defence. Hell, Vita must be what developers have been looking for all along!

duckroll

Well, I fear piracy for what games 3DS can get, but it's better to say I fear DS-like piracy, where moms could buy 100 games in a card in an eye blink. 3DS should prevent DS-like piracy to happen due to costant firmware updates, games being usually much bigger, etc.etc. Let's say I hope it doesn't get close to be THAT dangerous.

Why would you care if moms could buy 100 games in a card? How does that affect you? It certainly doesn't affect me. There are people who can pirate any PC game that is released in a matter of minutes. That has literally zero impact on me enjoying my games on PC.

Shahed

If Persona is viable on Vita, so are the rest of the SMT games. At least I wouldn't have to worry about EU releases anymore

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/renegade_kid_worried_about_3ds_piracy

Hacking could cause developer to stop supporting the system
It has recently been reported that a couple of hackers have broken into the 3DS, allowing them to run custom code on the device. They claim their motives are good — getting around the 3DS region lock for example — however games developers, as you can imagine, are less than pleased with the news.

In a recent blog post Jools Watsham, co-founder of Renegade Kid, the developer behind the hit 3DS eShop title Mutant Mudds, claimed that illegally delving into the guts of the 3DS opens up the door to piracy — something that could damage the industry and support for Nintendo's handheld.
If piracy gets bad on the 3DS, we will have no choice but to stop supporting the platform with new games.

Watsham rubbished the claims that people try hacked games before they buy them and pointed to the damage that was done to DS game sales:
Piracy on the Nintendo DS crippled the DS retail market, especially in Europe. We’ll never know how/if Dementium II landed in as many hands as the first game, Dementium: The Ward, due to the rampant piracy at the time. Dementium: The Ward sold more than 100,000 copies worldwide, which is a great success for an original mature-rated title on the DS. Recorded sales of Dementium II are less than half that. We’ll never truly know why that was so, but many seem to believe that piracy had a lot to do with it.

Renegade Kid is clearly worried about the impact piracy can have on the sales of games, but Watsham feels Nintendo is in a good position to combat it:
The good news is that Nintendo has the ability to put up a good fight against pirates due to 3DS system updates and such. Let’s hope this is enough to stop piracy. Time will tell.

Top Bottom