• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever use the "notes" section at the back of the manual?

Agent X

When I was a child during the peak of the Atari 2600's popularity (we're talkin' over 30 years ago), some of the game manuals would include a page or two where you could jot down high scores. A few of my manuals have some of my great scores scrawled inside. I eventually stopped doing this when I decided it would be better to keep my manuals "clean" and in collectible condition.

Nope, nor would I see anything written in there whenever I picked up a preowned copy of a game.

Funny thing is, I never read the manual to learn how to play the game but instead to see if there was any interesting character bios or a page long prologue on the game's story. I miss manuals, they were like my little encyclopedia for the game.

zeioIIDX

Lol. My dad used to use the notes section for Mortal Kombat I and II to write character moves and fatalities in it. I personally don't recall ever using those sections for anything useful, I'd sometimes just write random crap there but more often than not, it would be left blank.

Laserschwert

Neo Member
Fun fact: Most of the time the notes section was only included to get the page count up to a number divisible by 4... because that's necessary, since every added sheet of paper adds four new pages to the manual, even if fewer were needed for the content.

Vally

Yes

CY8BbQtWkAA0FH2.jpg
(I lent FFVII to a friend and he was having trouble in the Northern Cave so I sketched the way for him)

I was young

Heath V

Ah the good old days, yes things change but not always for the best. To answer the OP's question I can't recall if I used the note section or not, perhaps I did but I always liked the fact that it was there just in case.

Garnox

No, but only to keep it in prestine condition. We did however have like a separate notebook/journal thing where we wrote down Mega Man/Punch-Out progression codes.

Malio

I did at least once! I was cleaning out my basement the other day and found a box with all my old MS-DOS floppies and a few manuals. I found the manual for F-29 Retaliator (rip Ocean) and I had two notes under the notes section: They were phone numbers to two of the local BBS's that hosted F29 co-op and tournies. Was a nice blast from the past :)

serveimage

Wiped89

DID YOU KNOW

The notes section only exists to balance the number of printed pages. Pages have to be printed in an even multiple of 8, so for example you can print a 32 or 40 page booklet but not 36 or 42. This is because of how one sheet is printed on both sides and folded to make four pages.

So the notes section exists only to fill the extra pages which must be printed.

Source: I used to edit a newspaper

Top Bottom