• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

-Horizon-

41588_a956804_link_cosplayers.jpg

Sorry ladies, no one will accept you. YOU ARE NOT TRUE LINK.

I've come back to post in this thread just to say :D to those cosplayers

Marlowe89

That people thought this new Link could be female based on appearance alone is testament to that.
This is a case where you're simply weighing their opinions more heavily than I am. I never did drink the "Wow! This Link might be female!" Kool-Aid because I didn't think he looked anywhere remotely as different as certain people were making him out to be, and I firmly believed that Aonuma was just teasing. Many others have suggested the same. It's not much of a testament to anything for me.

Even if you're suggesting that a female Link is somehow too different conceptually, that doesn't have to do with appearance, which is what we're discussing right now.
The concept of Link's design has everything to do with appearance. If Nintendo altered this new theoretical design to make it recognizably female (read: NOT like Zelda U Link, whose degree of physical femininity is highly debatable at best) I definitely can't picture it looking even slightly consistent with other Links; for that matter, I don't see it fitting the template as much as both WW Link and TP Link even in relation to each other. On the other hand, if the female Link wasn't distinctly feminine-looking enough for most people to immediately recognize the gender swap, I don't see the point.

How is art style shifting not a significant change? The style for each game hasn't been entirely due to technology. Even the concept artwork for each game has been different from the others.

Because it doesn't reflect any real change in Link's actual biological features. It's merely a change in art style, not the design concept itself.

This is a case where you're simply weighing their opinions more heavily than I am. I never did drink the "Wow! This Link might be female!" Kool-Aid because I didn't think he looked anywhere remotely as different as certain people were making him out to be, and I firmly believed that Aonuma was just teasing. Many others have suggested the same. It's not much of a testament to anything for me.

This is, as you've said, all up to opinion. I'm acknowledging the opinions of people who thought the character in the trailer (who has been confirmed by Aonuma to be Link and not a female version) to possibly be female. Even without the green tunic and hat, it's still Link. I'm saying that the Link in the trailer could've been female because of how androgynous the model was, yet that difference alone wouldn't have made Link any less recognizable than the non-traditional Link clothes he's wearing. If it had actually been a girl and was wearing a green tunic, no one would've thought "that's not Link," especially because of the lack of voice in the trailer.

People who find Link being a girl to be too big of a change, yet are fine with the male Link in the trailer, don't have a problem with the notion of a female appearance for the character. They solely have a problem with the sex of the character itself, meaning the "recognizable" reasoning doesn't hold water.

The concept of Link's design has everything to do with appearance. If Nintendo altered this new theoretical design to make it recognizably female (read: NOT like Zelda U Link, whose degree of physical femininity is highly debatable at best) I definitely can't picture it looking even slightly consistent with other Links; for that matter, I don't see it fitting the template as much as both WW Link and TP Link even in relation to each other. On the other hand, if the female Link wasn't distinctly feminine-looking enough for most people to immediately recognize the gender swap, I don't see the point.

If we take one version of an existing Link and create a female version in that same art style (WW for example) it will look close to WW Link, more so than Twilight Prinecss Link. The only way for a female WW Link (say, with stereotypical "girl" features like more noticeable eyelashes and longer hair) to look more different to WWL than TPL to someone is if they somehow place greater importance on sex than they do an entirely different art style.

Not only that, but even if the female version looks noticeable different, all Nintendo has to do is say "this is girl Link, same as boy Link, but a girl" and then, if people are so inclined, they believe this girl Link is an entirely separate character, sort of like how Toon Link and regular Link are separate characters in SSB. The character concept would be a part of the game and even if the difference could be considered huge, it would still be entirely up to the individual's feelings as to whether it's good or bad.

You not seeing a point to a girl version that isn't outwardly, "recognizably" female is moot. There doesn't have to be a point. No one's challenging anyone to provide a point or reason as to why Link was made male in the first place and there's no need to do the same for why Link should be made a girl either. There are people who would want a female Link though; we're placing a huge amount of importance on appearance if we think the only justification for a female Link is that they're "obviously" a girl.

And what does "recognizably female" have to be? The long eyelashes and long hair I mentioned? There are girls in real life who have short versions of both. There are flat-chested women, tall women, Etc.

Because it doesn't reflect any real change in Link's actual biological features. It's merely a change in art style, not the design concept itself.

Link has no biological features though. All of his features are art, or renderings. Linkette's womanly figure would be just as much art as male Link's body.

Not only that, but one only has to change what they do/say in regards to another person's sex (real or fictional) in a few certain situations, none of which will be happening in a Zelda game. If you're sexually attracted to someone and want to have sex with them, then it matters. If you're a doctor, it matters. Otherwise, someone's who's sex is male could consider themselves female, or vice versa, and it'd be of no concern to you.

Just an fyi I'm pretty sure the Metroid series has introduced the possiblity of multiple universes within its lore (to explain Aether I think) or at least multiple dimensions, and parallel universes are considered in one theory to be tied to different dimensions, so there's nothing stopping Nintendo from making a Metroid game set in a parallel universe with a male Samus. Furthermore Mario games don't follow really any set lore so there's nothing stopping a female Mario and male Peach, in fact there's nothing stopping Zelda from being male in Zelda's lore
as Hylia only reincarnated into SS Zelda not all of them and her powers are carried via blood not gender
. Finally there's nothing stopping a female Link, as the lore says he's different in each game or something, in fact there's nothing stopping Nintendo from swapping any of their characters as Nintendo can rewrite any of their lore if they want to. Will Nintendo go out of their way to change Mario, Link, or Samus? I doubt it, but the argument that Link is a different person in each game so there's nothing stopping FemLink seems a little pointless as there's nothing stopping Nintendo from doing what they want to do.

I don't think that femLink can't happen, just that I don't want it to as I'm afraid they'd go to cc next which is something I don't want. To me cc goes against the Zelda lore, as Link is a character to me female or not, and him not having a canonical look to me goes agaisnt the lore and my veiw of Zelda, as regardless of how he looks he's a character within the world.

Finally, I didn't think Link looked like a girl in the trailer just that he looked kinda weird almost borderline uncanny valley cause something seemed off, namely how his eyebrow goes a little too far down and the ears seemed placed a little too high or too low at least at first glace. I honestly don't know what's wrong with the model it just looks a little off, but I think some people might have honestly gotten confused because the cell shading and the low quality kinda masks a lot of the features. If you look he has a very similar jaw line to TP Link even with the same chin bump, and his neck is just as thick but it almost blends in with background.

This is just my two cents on where this debate has headed since I went to bed.

docbon

What an inaccurate generalization.

I think a lot of people were captivated by the idea of Link being female because it was the freshest thing about that trailer (outside of the gorgeous art). For a lot of people the Zelda series is bordering on stale and whenever Nnitendo promises to shake up the formula they never seem to fully commit to doing that. Seeing a female Link seemed like an indicator that Nintendo might be serious this time around about shaking up the very core of the series.

But I don't think people were praying for Link to be female before the trailer and just concocted something to fit that belief. From my perspective, the desire for a female Link this time around came after viewing the trailer and seeing a character more feminine looking than any Link Nintendo's ever created.

sums up my position perfectly~

Marlowe89

I'm saying that the Link in the trailer could've been female because of how androgynous the model was, yet that difference alone wouldn't have made Link any less recognizable than the non-traditional Link clothes he's wearing. If it had actually been a girl and was wearing a green tunic, no one would've thought "that's not Link," especially because of the lack of voice in the trailer.

You not seeing a point to a girl version that isn't outwardly, "recognizably" female is moot. There doesn't have to be a point. No one's challenging anyone to provide a point or reason as to why Link was made male in the first place and there's no need to do the same for why Link should be made a girl either. There are people who would want a female Link though; we're placing a huge amount of importance on appearance if we think the only justification for a female Link is that they're "obviously" a girl.

That first point is certainly true, but it's also something I've already acknowledged to be an exception to the notion of a female Link "breaking" the consistency in Link's overall character design for the series. But as I've mentioned previously, I simply don't see the purpose of changing Link's gender without applying suitable alterations to set "Linkette" apart from the conventional male version.

You might claim I'm placing an overly huge amount of importance on the character's appearance, but I still fail to see a valid reason for gender swapping without some kind of major alteration in design - and I mean this regardless of whether the supposed female Link is recognizably/stereotypically female or not. It's literally no different than changing an iconic character like Samus to a guy but keeping the long hair and strongly feminine facial features if only for the sake of pandering to people who suddenly want the hero of Metroid to be a male. The very idea is bizarre to me, and I've yet to see a reason why I should believe otherwise.

If we take one version of an existing Link and create a female version in that same art style (WW for example) it will look close to WW Link, more so than Twilight Prinecss Link. The only way for a female WW Link (say, with stereotypical "girl" features like more noticeable eyelashes and longer hair) to look more different to WWL than TPL to someone is if they somehow place greater importance on sex than they do an entirely different art style.

When we're discussing changes made to Link's overall design, why exactly wouldn't we place more emphasis on a character's conceptual features than a different art style? We're not making any headway in this argument. WW Link's physical appearance would absolutely resemble TP Link more than, say, a female WW Link would appear in relation to the standard WW Link because for one, they're entirely different genders, and two, a mismatch to the established template would be glaringly obvious, not to mention far more drastic in comparison to what people were once calling "an adult WW Link" when TP was first unveiled to the public. Not everybody wants this, and this opinion is perfectly sensible and valid.

Link has no biological features though.

I think you're grasping quite a bit here. Everything I noted above (a light-skinned character with parted, blondish-brown to blonde hair and an androgynous-yet-boyish face) is unquestionably a collection of biological features exclusive to Link's design concept in relation to other characters in the same franchise. This is simply undeniable. A shift in art style is entirely and utterly irrelevant to the continued consistency of Link's design.

royalan

I think you're grasping quite a bit here. Everything I noted above (a light-skinned character with parted, blondish-brown to blonde hair and an androgynous-yet-boyish face) is unquestionably a collection of biological features exclusive to Link's design concept in relation to other characters in the same franchise. This is simply undeniable. A shift in art style is entirely and utterly irrelevant to the continued consistency of Link's design.
Not to intrude on your debate here, but I think the point he's making here is that the features you pointing out here are very generic and aren't reliant on maleness. Link's hair color and how he parts it, his eye color, and his facial features are not dependent on Link being male to make sense. You even point out that Link's face has been androgynous before in the past, so none of the features you deem to be important to Link actually require him to be male.

Examples of male features would be big, bulging muscles, scare jaw line, facial/body hair and a big old dick held against his thigh by his tights. But typical Link doesn't usually have these features. Well, except for the penis.

The funny thing about this conversation to me is that a lot of people seen A-Ok with an androgynous Link, a Link that looks female but is male, but wouldn't be ok with a female Link that would likely look the same as an androgynous male Link.

Marlowe89

Not to intrude on your debate here, but I think the point he's making here is that the features you pointing out here are very generic and aren't reliant on maleness. Link's hair color and how he parts it, his eye color, and his facial features are not dependent on Link being male to make sense. You even point out that Link's face has been androgynous before in the past, so none of the features you deem to be important to Link actually require him to be male.
I've only pointed out that I've always seen Link's face as on the more boyish side of androgynous, but there are also many cues in his character design that add to this vibe - his figure, clothing style, and even subtle characteristics such as his messy hair lend to his status as a typical male character. I would not classify Link's holistic design as stereotypically female in any universe, and I've already addressed the notion of Link being an "unconventional" female (for lack of a better word).

The funny thing about this conversation to me is that a lot of people seen A-Ok with an androgynous Link, a Link that looks female but is male, but wouldn't be ok with a female Link that would likely look the same as an androgynous male Link.
Laugh to your heart's content, but again, a lot of us didn't see Zelda U's Link as being more feminine than usual.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Been looking at the trailer a few times and I think it's just me but the cloak Link wears seems similar to the one Impa wore in Skyward Sword which may lead me to believe maybe he is a member of a Shiekah Tribe in this iteration? Might be interesting. Just a thought though. Probably nothing though.

Every time I hear the words "all Link has no personality" I want to kick a nearby kitten.

Spirit Tracks, Twilight Princess, SKYWARD SWORD. Arguably OoT and MM even.

He's not Gordon Freeman who is nothing more than a pair of floating hands with guns.

Yes, I would like to see the posts of users who are okay with significantly changes for Link but aren't okay with turning Link into a girl.

"Link shouldn't be a girl" sounds like a big asspull.

Here's this, but it just from the first 20 pages of the original thread. I hadn't gotten a chance to go through the rest of it and this thread too.

I limited it to posts that specifically say/suggest that Link can't be a girl:

I don't really think he looks like a girl, but if for some reason he does I can understand why someone would be upset. Link's a guy. Instead of reestablishing his character and making him into a female character, I would much, much rather they create a new IP around a female hero.

The sexism in this thread is off the chart.

Yes. Why do people feel the need to take away and reverse basic traits of a character like Link...

This looks more like moving stone-magic or something along those lines, not straight up "futuristic" technology.

because our sex and gender is a huge part of who we are as people.

No it's not.

In fact, considering that his quest in previous games is saving Zelda solidifies it even more. It's part of the "hero on a quest to save a princess/maiden" formula.

I agree. I wouldn't even care if we played as as girl, just don't make it Link then.

I like my characters to be characters. I like how each Link is similar, each Impa, each Ganon, etc.

So yeah, I would be annoyed if the next Ganon was blond and pale and short and fat.
I'd be annoyed if the next Zelda was a boy and a lazy slob or something and so on.

They're "reincarnations" with some differences but they're essentially the same character. (i.e. Link starting out the game as lazy, sleeping in, slacking but springing into action and determination when called upon.)

Exactly, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever to play as Zelda or another girl. In a way I'd even prefer that I think, it'll feel fresh at the very least. But don't go changing established characters too much, and judging by how Link looks in this piece, they've slightly overdone it IMO.

Unless this turns out to be his sister or something, hence the similarity to Link, and there's a (optional) 2 player co-op. Or something along those lines, I'm just thinking out loud.

You're quite quick to jump on a post and attack.

I'm just saying that Link so far has been a boy and I want him to stay that way.

Things can be mixed up in any way, I just don't want to see Link being mixed up.

Make new characters, just don't change the existing ones.

Why don't we do the same for Mario, Bowser, Master Chief, Nathan Drake, James Bond, Laura Croft, and any other character? Might as well make everyone relatable to everyone, right?

Link's a guy. He wears green clothes. He has a sword. These are all character traits that make Link, Link.

I think it's more than acceptable for a company to want to appeal to a larger demographic, but I don't think changing an established character is the right way to do so. In my opinion, creating a new character and a new IP based around that character would be significantly more meaningful than changing a character that's been a guy for the past 28 years.

Love it.

I think Link is still a guy, and I think he should stay that way. Changing the gender of an established character just to do so is pretty shallow, in my opinion. If we want a female character, I'd much rather they make Zelda playable.

I won't be angry if Link is a girl, of course, but I think it's unnecessary.

Nobody is saying this but Link is a boy. If you want a female hero take Zelda. (And yes I would love to play as Zelda)
And there is a difference between a beautiful man/boy and a girly looking one.

Link is an established character over the years. He's been this way, it's the character I know and love and I don't want him to change. There's also nothing wrong with him being reincarnated as a boy yet again.

It would be a real sign of the Zelda franchise losing it's fetters if Link is indeed a frau, but nothing points to that with what we seen now and the history.

That said this game is indeed looking great.

I respectfully disagree. Lore wise, yes, it's different Links, but branding wise Link is Link. He's a male, he has green clothes at one point or another, and he has a sword. If I show someone a picture of Link, it will be a guy (probably) wearing green clothes who has a sword.

To me, Link is a guy. Zelda is a girl.

I DO like the idea (and thought of) the person in the trailer being Zelda and I DO like the idea of being able to play as her, but I DON'T like the idea of switching around their sexes just for the sake of doing so.

Again, if Nintendo is wanting to create a strong female heroine, why not create a new IP? Like I said before, I think it's great if they want to appeal to a larger demographic. I don't think messing with established characters and IPs is the right way to do so.

Art style may have changed, but all of these Link's are still males who wear green clothes (outside of the OOT one, and we all know he wears green in that) with swords. Art style may have changed, but the traits that make Link Link didn't. It's because of these that they can switch around the art and we can immediately look at Link and say "yep, that's Link".

Why isn't "That's just the way it's been!" a good reason? I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall here, but to me, Link is a guy because for the past 28 years he's been a guy. Yes, his sexuality may not necessarily matter and at the end of the day it's as important as the color he wears (not very), but it's still something that, for me, makes Link immediately recognizable as Link.

I draw the line at art shifts because, like I said, they aren't changing the established traits of the characters. Yes, they may look different, but I can still immediately tell who Link is when I see his character. It's one of the reasons the Twilight Princess reveal worked so well. When we saw that Link riding up on horseback for the first time, we immediately knew who it was.

Nothing about a girl Link prevents the game from being a Zelda game (and I'll still play it because Zelda is my favorite series), but I think that's one of the reasons why Link shouldn't be a girl. If sexuality doesn't matter in Zelda and the gender of the main character doesn't ultimately mean anything, why go against 28 years of history and established character traits just to say "Oh hey, by the way, Link's a girl now"?

I think it's really a matter of a glass half full/empty kind of thing, only no side is necessarily wrong. I can see why people would be fine with a female Link, I just think it would make a lot more sense to make a new IP with a female character.

Looks gorgeous.

I might just have to get a Wii U for this next year.

Maybe because I don't really care about the Zelda timeline is why it does make sense to me.

If Mario creators chose to shackled by the timeline stuff too, then people would probably be asking the same thing of Mario games right now. Like where do the rpgs fit in, the 2d games, the 3d games, why is Bowser bad and sometimes good, etc. And why can't each "Mario" reincarnation be this or that. Kinda glad they didnt do that...

I guess I see the Zelda the same way. In which Mario is just Mario and Link it just Link. Whether it's Paper Mario, 2D, M&L Mario, it's just Mario at root. So it'd be weird if he suddenly had a huge change.

And Link is just Link to me, whether it's 2D, 3D, Hyrule Warriors, whatever. The timeline stuff isn't really for me so it's Nintendo's Link to me. So again, it'd be weird if Nintendo's Link changed.

Even with different graphics, from Paper Mario to Toon Link, it's still just Link and Mario to me. At the base of it I don't see either of them as different people in each game.

But this discussion is getting kind of pointless now...

It's not that, if that was Zelda I'm cool with that(it's not). But Link is Link, who is male, that's just the way it is. Mario won't suddenly become female tomorrow,

If this was Zelda, as some are suggesting, why would they make her look more like a feminine Link than Zelda? While these characters certainly change from game to game, you can always recognize them. Also, why zero boobs? SS Zelda certainly has them. No, that theory is rather ridiculous IMO. I also don't think it's a female Link. Feels like too drastic a step for Nintendo to take with one of their most iconic characters. And if it was a female Link, why not made that more clear? This looks like a feminine teenage boy, not a girl. Again, zero boobs, etc.

That first point is certainly true, but it's also something I've already acknowledged to be an exception to the notion of a female Link "breaking" the consistency in Link's overall character design for the series. But as I've mentioned previously, I simply don't see the purpose of changing Link's gender without applying suitable alterations to set "Linkette" apart from the conventional male version.

I'm not arguing for the need of a female Link, so if you're looking to discuss that, you'll want to find someone who's actually advocating it. Still, just from thinking about it for a bit, some possible purposes for making Link female this time around are:
  • there's a general lack of female lead protagonists in games
  • a popular series making such a change would set a precedent that would help show that "tradition" doesn't need to be considered gospel
  • rather than create a new, initially less popular IP and make that protagonist female, they could use a popular one to show other developers/publishers it's nothing to be averse to
  • Help combat the irrational notion that Link can't be have a female incarnation

There can be purposes to the change, whether you agree with them aside. This also is a continuation of the "Link needs to have a reason to be female, but doesn't need one to stay male" line of thinking that's been present in this thread. What purpose does Link staying male serve?

You might claim I'm placing an overly huge amount of importance on the character's appearance, but I still fail to see a valid reason for gender swapping without some kind of major alteration in design - and I mean this regardless of whether the supposed female Link is recognizably/stereotypically female or not. It's literally no different than changing an iconic character like Samus to a guy but keeping the long hair and strongly feminine facial features if only for the sake of pandering to people who suddenly want the hero of Metroid to be a male. The very idea is bizarre to me, and I've yet to see a reason why I should believe otherwise.

I feel like I have to reiterate: every post I've made so far has been about how the notion that "Link can't be a girl" is wrong. My point in the part of my post you quoted here is that making Link female doesn't require any more of an overhaul of Link's appearance than a shift in art style. I don't know how to explain this any simpler than I already have.

You haven't explained how a female Link would look too different either, beyond saying it'd be too different for you. Imagine if the male and female Links are twins. If they're wearing the same green tunic/hat combo, the female one will look very similar to the male one. She doesn't require a wildly different outfit, her breast don't have to be huge, she doesn't need to wear pink, Etc. You haven't presented any conclusive reasoning beyond your own feelings on the matter as to how female Link is more different from male Link of the same art style than Links of other art styles, and you haven't explained such a change is harmful to the series.

If you want reasons to convince you of the worth of such a change, there's the possible purposes I posted above. Beyond that, not sure what else convincing you'd need if the only reason you need to not have a girl Link is the appearance change, something already happens every game. An opinion, sure, but very weak justification.

WW Link's physical appearance would absolutely resemble TP Link more than, say, a female WW Link would appear in relation to the standard WW Link because for one, they're entirely different genders, and two, a mismatch to the established template would be glaringly obvious,
I don't know how else to explain this more simply:

Imagine you place a translucent image of the female WW Link over the male one with both in the same pose. It will line up better than a translucent TP Link image in the same pose. will look more similar.

You considering the gender of the character to somehow be a bigger difference than an entirely other art style doesn't extend beyond your own mind. I've already said the "conceptual" argument doesn't hold water, and it's even more evident now. Just because WW Link and TP Link both have belts, hats, yellow hair, Etc. doesn't mean they're the same.

There's no way a female Link is going to objectively be unrecognizable to everyone. It won'y hard the IP, it won't confuse anyone, it won't undermine the sanctity of the series.

I think you're grasping quite a bit here. Everything I noted above (a light-skinned character with parted, blondish-brown to blonde hair and an androgynous-yet-boyish face) is unquestionably a collection of biological features exclusive to Link's design concept in relation to other characters in the same franchise. This is simply undeniable.

I say they're not biological features because Link isn't real. You said that an art shift isn't significant...

Yet these "biological features" only exist as art. If I draw/animate Link as a girl, then Link's a girl. If I draw him as a dragon, he's a dragon. Link in the games isn't a depiction of a real person who needs to be accurately portrayed. Link has been different characters in each game, each with different appearances already. Making Link girl who's an incarnation of the holder of the Triforce would make her Link and she could still do all the things Link does while wearing a traditional Link outfit.

And this

A shift in art style is entirely and utterly irrelevant to the continued consistency of Link's design.

is just not true. Especially when being used to argue that making Link female is somehow too inconsistent in an already inconsistent series. Your opinion is subjective, but your reasoning can still be terribly flawed, as it is here.

And it's interesting that you mention grasping because arguing that a female Link would somehow be a problem solely because it's a "conceptual" difference despite there being notably different Links already, without providing any actual reasoning for why this would be bad, is grasping.

balgajo

Here's this, but it just from the first 20 pages of the original thread. I hadn't gotten a chance to go through the rest of it and this thread too.

I limited it to posts that specifically say/suggest that Link can't be a girl:

I'm not arguing for the need of a female Link, so if you're looking to discuss that, you'll want to find someone who's actually advocating it. Still, just from thinking about it for a bit, some possible purposes for making Link female this time around are:
  • there's a general lack of female lead protagonists in games
  • a popular series making such a change would set a precedent that would help show that "tradition" doesn't need to be considered gospel
  • rather than create a new, initially less popular IP and make that protagonist female, they could use a popular one to show other developers/publishers it's nothing to be averse to
  • Help combat the irrational notion that Link can't be have a female incarnation

There can be purposes to the change, whether you agree with them aside. This also is a continuation of the "Link needs to have a reason to be female, but doesn't need one to stay male" line of thinking that's been present in this thread. What purpose does Link staying male serve?

I feel like I have to reiterate: every post I've made so far has been about how the notion that "Link can't be a girl" is wrong. My point in the part of my post you quoted here is that making Link female doesn't require any more of an overhaul of Link's appearance than a shift in art style. I don't know how to explain this any simpler than I already have.

You haven't explained how a female Link would look too different either, beyond saying it'd be too different for you. Imagine if the male and female Links are twins. If they're wearing the same green tunic/hat combo, the female one will look very similar to the male one. She doesn't require a wildly different outfit, her breast don't have to be huge, she doesn't need to wear pink, Etc. You haven't presented any conclusive reasoning beyond your own feelings on the matter as to how female Link is more different from male Link of the same art style than Links of other art styles, and you haven't explained such a change is harmful to the series.

If you want reasons to convince you of the worth of such a change, there's the possible purposes I posted above. Beyond that, not sure what else convincing you'd need if the only reason you need to not have a girl Link is the appearance change, something already happens every game. An opinion, sure, but very weak justification.

I don't know how else to explain this more simply:

Imagine you place a translucent image of the female WW Link over the male one with both in the same pose. It will line up better than a translucent TP Link image in the same pose. will look more similar.

You considering the gender of the character to somehow be a bigger difference than an entirely other art style doesn't extend beyond your own mind. I've already said the "conceptual" argument doesn't hold water, and it's even more evident now. Just because WW Link and TP Link both have belts, hats, yellow hair, Etc. doesn't mean they're the same.

There's no way a female Link is going to objectively be unrecognizable to everyone. It won'y hard the IP, it won't confuse anyone, it won't undermine the sanctity of the series.

I say they're not biological features because Link isn't real. You said that an art shift isn't significant...

Yet these "biological features" only exist as art. If I draw/animate Link as a girl, then Link's a girl. If I draw him as a dragon, he's a dragon. Link in the games isn't a depiction of a real person who needs to be accurately portrayed. Link has been different characters in each game, each with different appearances already. Making Link girl who's an incarnation of the holder of the Triforce would make her Link and she could still do all the things Link does while wearing a traditional Link outfit.

And this

is just not true. Especially when being used to argue that making Link female is somehow too inconsistent in an already inconsistent series. Your opinion is subjective, but your reasoning can still be terribly flawed, as it is here.

And it's interesting that you mention grasping because arguing that a female Link would somehow be a problem solely because it's a "conceptual" difference despite there being notably different Links already, without providing any actual reasoning for why this would be bad, is grasping.

I have no problem playing as Zelda, for example. The problem is that a lot of people(including me) think of Link as a mascot with characteristics that can't be changed(or shouldn't) for the sake of recognizing him . That's one of the reasons behind the big backslash about Wind Waker. They changed Link in a manner that people got upset. Also, that's why Aonuma told in a interview that the team will be very careful while choosing styles.
The same already happened with Dante, in DMC reboot. People got upset only because they changed his hair color, changing his gender would generate the same(or even more) rage.

Most people who see Link as a mascot, see him in the same manner that they see Mario, Samus, Lara Croft, Nathan Drake. And any radical change from one iteration to another will generate rage(supported by story or not).

I know that the lore could open space for such changes, but that doesn't mean that people would be happy about it. Imagine the rage caused by a Zelda with Link being a blond rabbit instead of a human.

Like I said in other posts, I'm very different from Link in appearance, but that doesn't mean that I want the option to change it to be like me.

I have no problem playing as Zelda, for example. The problem is that a lot of people(including me) think of Link as a mascot with characteristics that can't be changed(or shouldn't) for the sake of recognizing him .
That and all the examples you go on to list are the result of people's personal tastes. There will always be someone who doesn't like a given change to a series due to their tastes. There are also plenty of people who liked all the changes you mention.

Was making Wind Waker a bad decision because it received a negative response? Aonuma and Nintendo knew there might be backlash and they did it anyway.

If all we're talking about at this point is that people will have different reactions to things, then there's nothing to actually discuss. You're just sharing at that point and what you say has little to do with my post you quoted.

Tetranet

The discussions in this thread keep convincing me that my point that Link's gender will be ambiguous this time around is valid. People admit that there was difficulty discerning the sex, and right now Link being male in Zelda Wii U is only an assumption.

balgajo

That and all the examples you go on to list are the result of people's personal tastes. There will always be someone who doesn't like a given change to a series due to their tastes. There are also plenty of people who liked all the changes you mention.
I really don't know why to be discussing about Link's characteristics if not for a personal taste. Don't really understand what you meant...

Was making Wind Waker a bad decision because it received a negative response? Aonuma and Nintendo knew there might be backlash and they did it anyway.

Aonuma never knew that it would receive such a negative response in west. Actually, he already stated that he was told by someone from NOA that the main reason for weak sales outside Japan were due the style, which was unpopular here. And go against the fanbase in a radical form like he did is a bad decision for me.

If all we're talking about at this point is that people will have different reactions to things, then there's nothing to actually discuss. You're just sharing at that point and what you say has little to do with my post you quoted.

I only quoted because none of your reasons appears to be good enough for Nintendo changing an iconic character with decades of history. It's not better than people who want to keep this way because that's the way they like, and they don't need another argument for that.

Tetranet

I limited it to posts that specifically say/suggest that Link can't be a girl

You would make a better case if you didn't quote 10 posts from 2 posters. Half of total those quotes are mine and Ryuelli's and several out of the total count are interpreted by you, the way you want to, essentially putting words in people's mouths to make your point. Not to mention that they are completely taken out of context.

So yes, if you want to come up with quotes do it properly or don't do it at all.

You would make a better case if you didn't quote 10 posts from 2 posters. Half of total those quotes are mine and Ryuelli's and several out of the total count are interpreted by you, the way you want to, essentially putting words in people's mouths to make your point. Not to mention that they are completely taken out of context.

So yes, if you want to come up with quotes do it properly or don't do it at all.

A few things

• I told that user I was responding to didn't believe anyone ever said that Link can't be a girl/must stay male (beyond just stating their personal opinions). I told them I'd find some posts that say or suggest that Link can't be a girl despite each Link being different. That's what I did.
  • If you click on the arrow next to people's usernames in a quote, it takes you to that post. If a quote seems unfairly taken out of context, click on that and you'll see the context.
  • These are just the posts that go beyond explicitly stating how one feels, ones that attempt to provide concrete reasoning why Link should stay the same. There's plenty other posts that you can see and judge for yourself whether they meet the above criteria.
  • Since I didn't say I'd just post a list of users who took this stance, I just posted every post I saw that fit the criteria I set for which posts I'd post. I wasn't planning on going through all 37/74 pages (100 posts per page and 50pp, respectively) and then editing out duplicate posts from users because I didn't not have enough time to do that when I made the post, and I didn't need to in order to follow through with what I promised PdotMichael.
  • By including multiple posts from the same users, I'm not just including their initial posts; people can see more sides of their argument in one place. Again, if anyone wants to see the context, they can click on the arrows next to their names.

I won't tell anyone what to read through the threads themselves because it takes a while and since posting on/reading forums is a pastime for most, it'd be ridiculous for me to say something like "read through the threads properly or don't read through them at all" to someone.

However, I will suggest that anyone who doesn't believe anyone said/suggested/attempted to provide objective reasons for why Link shouldn't/can't be a girl — and they aren't satisfied with the posts presented which contain those arguments— then read through the Zelda Wii U announcement thread and this one themselves.

Still, here are posts from the first 7 (or 14) pages of this thread, which is specifically about Link's gender/sex.

Please forgive any posts that are misinterpreted as I quoted these in haste since I have to go somewhere else. Even if there are a few, this is meant to show that there's a contingent of Zelda fans who try to objectively prove that Link can't be a girl, for various reasons, none of which objectively dictate that Link can't be female. Overall, these posts show that mentality+attempt at justification exists (click the arrows to take you to the post locations):

They Mulan'd Link before he could even express his femine side. RIP Linka 2014-2014

But seriously, if you have a beef with someone for being relieved that a male character across tens of games for twenty five years isn't arbitrarily being made into a female you're just silly.

C'mon people, Link is a long established character. He's Mario. He's Sonic. He's Ryu. He's Samus. He's not just some generic avatar and he shouldn't be reduced to one.

I was going to say it took me a couple days to get around to the possility of Link's role being assigned to a female character. However, now I'll just say I'm relieved. They celebrated Zelda's 25th Anniversary with Link as the face of the series. Not standing by that just feels wrong.

That doesn't mean I won't thoroughly enjoy every character in Hyrule Warriors though. Nor would I object to creating a brand new Heroine with her own [Mainline?] game. Just don't mess with Link, please.

Exactly my thoughts, I'm up for the game to be freshened up, but don't start changing the gender of long established characters.

Some want way to much change, even to the put the point where some peoples intentions are quite weird frankly.

He's James Bond, or The Doctor. A set of iconic personality traits & immediately recognizable regardless of who plays them. Some people argue that things like gender are an inherent part of what makes those characters who they are. If Nintendo's argument that Link is, and always must be male - it's understandable from an artistic perspective.

I could see a female Link, but I couldn't see a "choose your gender" Link. To say that the gender of the character has effectively zero influence over their place in the community, and their relationship with Zelda - seems out of place in a distinctly fantasy-focused franchise. It also kind of kills the illusion - past LoZ games felt like you were interrupting a kid's life to engage in this massive adventure. Having a "Pick a Link" screen beforehand really takes that illusion away.

This. I don't have anything against a female playable character in Zelda, but trying to turn Link himself into a female seems silly. He's not a create a character, he's a gaming icon.

If they were to make a female lead, make it Zelda or someone new.

As somebody who always just plays as "Link", that never really altered it for me. It felt like more of a standard trope of the RPG/adventure genre, rather than a real part of the world. Changing the name doesn't really impact who that character was before you picked up the controller. Changing the gender (in most cultures), would. So it doesn't break the illusion for me.

Nonsensical internet drama.

Why should Nintendo replace the main character of one of the most beloved gaming series?

Being a junior member doesn't make any difference.

I'm 34 and I've been playing the series since it's birth on the NES. For me the game does need freshening up, but not to the point where you mess around with the gender of long established characters, or being able to use a custom avatar.

Some of the ideas or theories touted on here are ridiculous at best.

He looks pretty much the same - changing hair colors is like the only thing that happened to him over the years.

Link's recognizability is one of the most important points of the Zelda series. Especially with all the art style shifts.

And that's because the character that the artists behind those series' have a vision in their head of who "The Doctor" or "James Bond" is.

I'll go with the Doctor Who example because I've actually discussed it at length in the past. I think it's entirely possible for a new doctor to be female (it's actually cannon within the franchise for Time Lords to switch gender upon regeneration) - but I completely understand why nobody has done it yet. That franchise (and in many ways, LoZ as well) is deeply rooted in a sense of tradition & continuity. There's always a blue phone box as the Tardis. There's always a companion. There's always a man who makes clever quips and always finds a way out of those situations. For the people running the show, who often consider every bit of the series to be gosphel - is it still Doctor Who if you don't have a man in a suit, grasping the hand of a woman who accompanies him on the voyage? Even if you disagree with the arguement, you have to understand the perspective some people are coming from.

(Also, I have some personal issues with the stagnation of the Doctor/Companion relationship as well. The reason Donna was such a fantastic part of the series, is that she broke apart every notion of who a "companion" is. Amy/Rory was more enjoyable than straight Amy, because it introduced a new dynamic to the setup. Yet, here we are in the latest series with bloody Clara, who is yet ANOTHER white girl from contemporary England (but now with an unintelligible mystery attatched!).)

If you want to play as a girl, that's fine. Ask to play as Zelda, or to make a new female character. But Link has always been male, and I'm sorry that some of us think he should stay that way.

If that was a brand new female MC, I'd be completely cool with that. But as long as it's Link, he should stay male.

The references to personality were more in line with the whole Doctor/Bond arguement. And I honestly don't think the studios behind Bond really buy the whole "it's the same guy!" conceit. Skyfall set up events that, if you were to understand the intention - could be viewed as a prequel. Despite taking place decades in the future, after the films it would theoretically precede. In reality, I just don't think the creators of Bond care as much about continuity as people think they do.

I guess I just don't really buy the whole "projection of the player" arguement (even if it's coming straight from the man's mouth). If Link's appearance & persoanlity is meant to mirror the player, why hasn't he been visually customizable - ever? If I am Link, why not offer those character creation options since the SNES era? Link is a known character - he's not the protagonist from Pokemon.

Link, bears just about as much resemblance to himself, game after game, as any other Nintendo character. The different incarnations thing is a pretext for replaying glaringly similar stories with glaringly similar characters over and over again.

The reincernation background storyelement is pointless if we talking about character recognizability. There is a reason why all the reincernations look like, well, Link.

Anyway good. Playing zelda game with diff person is for spinoffs imo.

It's like playing next 3D mario main serie game without mario....

Because gender isn't irrelevant. Isn't the fact that you're invested in Link, or some other female character getting a crack at bat in the Zelda franchise proof of that?. Link is an extremely popular character, and to me at least, his gender is part of his identity.

May I ask why it's not the same thing as making Mario female? He's a recognizable, established character, it's the same thing. Zelda is a different reincarnation every single time, the reincarnation of the same character, which happens to be female. I don't see complaints about her not changing gender. I would actually love to save a kidnapped prince as a female pc in a game, that would be refreshing and awesome. Yet I don't complain about this game not being Zelda, because the characters in that universe are already established.

You sure seem obsessed with the sexual organs of the characters. You also seem to overlook the fact you are basing Link as a different character simply because of the different art style of the game, or you would have remembered that Link has always been born a Hylian male. Even in Ocarina when the Kokiri raised him as their own.

So he'll always be the same character, however a male Hylian looks in that game. He's never even had a skin color change. Always the same white, blonde, Hylian with pointy ears. So despite his cel-shading, his bushy hair, his spiky hair, he's always technically been the same eternal character.

That's kind of the point of an eternal curse, that he's always reborn as he was those centuries, millenia ago.

Because Link has always been male? Because there's absolutely no reason to change him? If suddenly Zelda was a man, I'm pretty sure people would be angry, but I don't see any calls for that.

And if anything, the most vehement defenses have been on the side that want him to be changed.

It has nothing to do with gender. It has everything to do with atmosphere. When you start a Legend of Zelda game, Link isn't just falling into the universe, meeting everybody for the first time. They know him, they've formed opinions of him - there's a history there. The player is personifying a character with existing relationships that often come back with large influence on the game's story. You could do all those things with a female character. But by offering a toggle switch on the first screen, you're dulling that perception. Rather than being a natural part of the universe, this is a character the player has made that has been dropped into the world.

Games like Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Fallout all often start with the "stranger in a strange land" conceit for a reason. The player character can be anyone, often anything. Backstory doesn't work.

Additionally, there's the obvious fact that if a Zelda game did offer a female player character - it'd be a significant moment for the franchise. It's an opportunity to leverage the series' past, to talk about twisting these long-standing traditions. If you're catering to a game that can also be played as a male MC - all that goes out the window. And that's a pretty huge bummer.

I honestly don't see the big hubub regarding Link not being female. He's been Male until now and although they're shaking up the gameplay, changing Link to be female isn't solving the issue of not having enough female characters. It's making a character female for the sake of it and if anything that's worse.

People should put a female character in because they want to, not because they're forced.

Once we've gotten past the initial phase of realising that it's cool to play as a female Link, what if it's just the same story again? What if you're just going off to save Zelda, who is whatever gender, and you get to the end and realise it's the exact same story and the only difference is some curves on your polygonal character model, and some female sound effects?

If you're looking for positive messages about femininity in video games, that can be delivered through any of the characters in the game through traditional storytelling. Half Life 2 is a very good example of this, and so are a lot of Zelda games when you look for it.

I think making Link female would be an empty gesture towards gender equality when the character has so few traits to begin with. Real value should come from exploring feminine character, and in the Legend of Zelda that's going to be through telling a story around characters other than Link.

Disclaimer: I get that people want to play as a girl for whatever reason, but I don't think doing so would actually be a positive message for gender equality.

----------
[edit] And regarding Aonuma's quotes. Not confirming something does not imply an alternative. It is simply not confirming something, and we know what Nintendo are like with secrecy.

So many guys that want to play as a girl y'all are just weird

Link was always a dude "chosen boy or whatever" why would they change that ?

Nobody wants Mario to become Mariette so give it up already.

The world is going down...

Then go play a different game. Why force something onto others? Or go complain to Nintendo how Mario should be a girl named Maria.

Top Bottom