• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That might be because they got rid of those weird looking lips (thankfully I think.)

tumblr_inline_mg4crcQaN31r81par.gif

(´ε` )

People really thought he was a girl? Didn't we go through this when Hyrule Warriors was announced too?

Link is a very cute pretty boy, has been since at least Ocarina of Time. Nothin' wrong with that.

Hyrule Warriors Link has a smaller waist-to-hip ratio, a much larger torso-to-leg ratio, mildly broader shoulders, more muscle in the front of the femur than behind, thicker eyebrows, and possibly a larger nose than the character in the Legend of Zelda trailer. With the exception of eyebrows (which even then are very commonly thin on female characters and thick on male characters in the Legend of Zelda series), these are all sex dimorphism characteristics that, regardless of cultural values, suggest that the Link in Hyrule Warriors is male and the Link in The Legend of Zelda (2015) is... well, I guess I can't say female, so "more feminine".

He's James Bond, or The Doctor. A set of iconic personality traits & immediately recognizable regardless of who plays them. Some people argue that things like gender are an inherent part of what makes those characters who they are. If Nintendo's argument that Link is, and always must be male - it's understandable from an artistic perspective.

I could see a female Link, but I couldn't see a "choose your gender" Link. To say that the gender of the character has effectively zero influence over their place in the community, and their relationship with Zelda - seems out of place in a distinctly fantasy-focused franchise. It also kind of kills the illusion - past LoZ games felt like you were interrupting a kid's life to engage in this massive adventure. Having a "Pick a Link" screen beforehand really takes that illusion away.
How odd. Does naming Link take away from the illusion?

Monocle

This. I don't have anything against a female playable character in Zelda, but trying to turn Link himself into a female seems silly. He's not a create as a character, he's a gaming icon.

If they were to make a female lead, make it Zelda or someone new.
It would have been perfectly fine, seeing how each new Zelda game has a different Link. (IIRC. I'm not exactly up to date on Zelda lore.)

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
It works the other way 'round too. Anyone in the last thread who said they hoped Link was still male and the playable character was grilled for being a misogynist.

How's that strawman working out for you?

That's ok Aonuma; you don't give me a female playable character in your tired series, I don't give you my money. At least I'll have Zelda Musou, the only canon-worthy entry in your series.

Kappa

kuppy

Zero from Mega Man X is male, too, btw. It's just a design choice, as it is here.

Anyway, those speculations were pretty entertaining, too bad.
Would have loved Nintendo to tell a different story around The Lend of Zelda.

I already vented all my disappointment in the last thread, so I'll just repeat my comments.

Apparently the "no one said for sure that was actually Link" was just a "that was Link, huh? Are you sure?" sarcastic comment from Aonuma. Bummer.

We can all agree that Link is visibly more feminine. I wonder what the decision was behind the design. Aonuma's comments lead me to support the androgynous player character theory more and more, that the appearance shouldn't matter, and regardless of the player's gender, you can pretend to be Link.

Still wish you could choose like in Pokemon though.

Yup.

Madness

I want to play a female Link, come on Nintendo, time to grow up.

How has Nintendo not grown up because they won't "gender-bend" Link into a girl? Link is a guy, he's been a guy for over 25+ years. Zelda is a girl, she's been a girl from the start. This is one thing I don't understand. Might as well make Captain Falcon a girl for the next game, make Samus a black guy, etc. Like that's not who the character is, even if he's fictional.

If Nintendo says there will never be a female Link, what then? Would you really stop playing the series?

Partition

Banned
eh I don't see the arguments that Link's gender is some vital aspect of his "character", he's so androgynous and the nature of there being multiple Link's makes for an easy change.

I agree. Unless people want to pretend that Link's "character" is only the Twilight Princess model, they are disregarding that his appearance has been ever evolving throughout the series. The most recognizable features about Link have nothing to do with his gender.

zhorkat

If Aonuma doesn't want to limit players by defining the character, he might as well just go one step further and not define the character's gender.

Log4Girlz

It would have been perfectly fine, seeing how each new Zelda game has a different Link. (IIRC. I'm not exactly up to date on Zelda lore.)

It would be neat if you could play different time lines, going between a hero of time in the past and another in the present, each a different gender.

I'm not a big fan of having a costimizable Link because I don't believe that the idea fits the series anymore(The best time to do that would have been in OoT or something).
I feel like Mr. Aonuma and his team have been struggling with a big decision.
"Should Link be his own character?"
As of right now he's sort of half way between being a blank slate and a fully fleshed out person. If they ever decided to move in the latter direction we could have a bunch of drastically different looking Link designs/reincarnations(Female link, African link, Asian link, Mayan link etc.)with unique back stories, and personalities. I would personally love that.

Edzi

Lol seriously?

OH MAN IF I HAD TO PLAY AS A GIRL I DUNNO WHAT I WOULD'VE DONE!

Oh come off it.

Yeah! Playing as a female is the pits! Thank God they aren't trying something new, right!

What's with all the posts like this? I'm also glad that Link isn't getting a gender swap... Does that mean I'm against playing as a girl, or female characters in general being in games? No. No it doesn't. It just means I don't want Link to be a girl, and I don't think there's anything weird or wrong about being happy that he's still essentially the same character he's always been.

Not

Banned
It would be neat if you could play different time lines, going between a hero of time in the past and another in the present, each a different gender.

So tight. I want someone else to plot Zelda games. Aonuma and co. can design the world still, but shake up the story even more.

Hatchtag

Banned
C'mon people, Link is a long established character. He's Mario. He's Sonic. He's Ryu. He's Samus. He's not just some generic avatar and he shouldn't be reduced to one.

This is just completely wrong to me. He's a player avatar. So are Mario and Samus. Sonic and Ryu aren't, they talk a lot in their games and are often part of a larger playable cast. Samus stays female because of the whole twist that she was a girl the whole time. They knew that a mostly male fanbase would be playing her as a player avatar, and they thought it'd be fun to have there be a twist that she was a girl the whole time. People liked that, so they kept it. Mario stays male because it'd be incredibly hard to come up with a marketable female Mario design, as it is very hard to market incredibly short, chubby girls with mustaches wearing clothing that doesn't reveal anything.

Not to me, but OK. If Link were wearing the green tunic like this:

tumblr_n70kz1_UUqq1rsdbsvo1_1280.jpg

then the speculation would never have happened.

this looks great, link looks great even without his tunic.
Why is it every time a zelda game get's revealed people have to find something to moan about.
It's almost as if all you people never played a zelda game before, link has always looked very feminine.
either way boy or girl it really doesn't matter, can you people not focus on what the game might play like instead of how it's main character might look from a few occasional camera angles.

Not

Banned
What's with all the posts like this? I'm also glad that Link isn't getting a gender swap... Does that mean I'm against playing as a girl, or female characters in general being in games? No. No it doesn't. It just means I don't want Link to be a girl, and I don't think there's anything weird or wrong about being happy that he's still essentially the same character he's always been.

It would be the same if there weren't like fifteen different reincarnations of Link. Where does it say they all have to be guys?

caleb1915

Honestly it made sense to me as Zelda Williams was talking about voicing a character in the new Zelda game, which made me think,"Hey, maybe this is the character she was talking about.".

I dunno :p

As somebody who always just plays as "Link", that never really altered it for me. It felt like more of a standard trope of the RPG/adventure genre, rather than a real part of the world. Changing the name doesn't really impact who that character was before you picked up the controller. Changing the gender (in most cultures), would. So it doesn't break the illusion for me.

What a shitty joke.

Agreed. I personally wanted Link to stay male but it sucks to raise and dash hopes like that. Still, the flurry of speculation and excitement is cool to see.

It would be the same if there weren't like fifteen different reincarnations of Link. Where does it say they all have to be guys?

There are no written rules for what Link has to be in each incarnation. Gender may not be a defining characteristic to you, but it certainly is to some. At the very least, it is consistent... so far.

Monocle

How has Nintendo not grown up because they won't "gender-bend" Link into a girl? Link is a guy, he's been a guy for over 25+ years. Zelda is a girl, she's been a girl from the start. This is one thing I don't understand. Might as well make Captain Falcon a girl for the next game, make Samus a black guy, etc. Like that's not who the character is, even if he's fictional.

If Nintendo says there will never be a female Link, what then? Would you really stop playing the series?
I just hope they never make Metroid a girl. Ugh, how would she even fire her arm cannon without shrieking and trying to cover her ears?

Cipherr

Now he's saying that the comments were a joke and that this Link's a dude. Which just seems contradictory

Thats because he was joking around and whoever put it on the internet in text didn't carry over the joke in their article or quote. Thats the very reason its contradictory. It....was...a....joke.

not just to the previous comments, but to the whole dramatic reveal.

Its not contradictory to the 'dramatic' reveal at all. This has been very similar to all the previous 3D Zelda reveals. They all have some sort of showing of the character, many times in different art styles, and many times in the world of Hyrule. There is nothing at all contradictory about the way this was shown. Its all in your head.

So it just seems odd that they'd have a dramatic reveal of a more feminine looking Link, only to have it not be a girl.

No it doesn't This sentence makes ZERO sense. Why in the heck wouldn't they want to have a very cool showing of one of their most famous IP? There is nothing overly 'dramatic' about this, and Link has appeared extremely androgynous in the past. Not to mention a dramatic new game reveal does not in ANY way indicate a switch in gender of a 20+ year old protagonist... where in the heck are you getting this nonsense.

Some of you sound crazy....

Despera

Banned
Haha I feel bad for those who participated in such a ludicrous discussion.

Still though new Link is hot regardless lol

I always name Link "Link."

I personally don't care for choices.

I'd be down for a female Link, but should it happen, I don't want to be able to choose between Links. Odd? Certainly. But that's just me.

tesla246

Oh come off it.

Lol seriously?

OH MAN IF I HAD TO PLAY AS A GIRL I DUNNO WHAT I WOULD'VE DONE!

Yeah! Playing as a female is the pits! Thank God they aren't trying something new, right!

Maybe I wasnt clear enough; I meant that now all the whining can stop about wether is a girl or not. Some people were just overly reacting and wanted it to be a girl, I mean why care so much? I'm fine if it would have been a girl, and zelda would be a prince, if it was worked out well enough story wise, gameplay wise etc., but ultimately it comes down to the gameplay, graphics music etc.
I guess I just dont understand such a commotion about it being whatever gender.
I am extremely excited for this new iteration. Looks like they will finally adress all the negatives thats plagued this franchise for so long now. I edited my original post with this

kadotsu

Banned
Hopefully not icky girly places. Speaking of which, they should remove shopping from the next Zelda. Shopping is for women.

Why do you think that people who are against a gender-swapped Link don't want a female MC? I personally am disappointed there is no female MC option in this (make that every) Zelda. But when the title comes that introduces gender equality for the player character I want her to have a distinct personality. I want a new character and not a lazy gender swap or I want Nintendo to commit to a specific female MC in a title.

Vidpixel

Not to me, but OK. If Link were wearing the green tunic like this:

tumblr_n70kz1_UUqq1rsdbsvo1_1280.jpg

then the speculation would never have happened.

Woah, this looks fantastic.

Still, really weird of Aonuma to say that the character in the Zelda teaser wasn't necessarily Link, only to later confirm that it was indeed Link.

Why do you think that people who are against a gender-swapped Link don't want a female MC? I personally am disappointed there is no female MC option in this (make that every) Zelda. But when the title comes that introduces gender equality for the player character I want her to have a distinct personality. I want a new character and not a lazy gender swap or I want Nintendo to commit to a specific female MC in a title.

I'm still not entirely convinced that's off the table. Given earlier hints about challenging the preconceptions of what makes Zelda Zelda, and the specific reference to single player, I'm still curious at the possibility that there could be a second, different playable character. I guess they wouldn't be the main character; so long as Link is there he'll have primacy, but still.

Why can't Link be a girl?
And Link "staying the same" doesn't make sense because he has no personality or development, he's just an avatar for the player.

Top Bottom