• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Brings Back Szechuan Dipping Sauce on October 7th, One Day Only

Ivan 3414

I went to my nearest participating McDonald's around 1:50 and there were maybe 30 people there for the sauce, mostly college students. I left; not worth it.

Ain't nobody got time to wait in line for a chance to win one little ass condiment packet when they'll bring the flavor back months later due to popular demand

mKs704e.jpg

T-minus 3 hours on the west coast and the restaurant that was going to have the sauce nearest me already has a lineup of 100 people, spilling out into the parking lot and blocking people leaving. There was no parking within a block of the location and yeah, fuck that. I'll have some Popeye's for lunch, instead.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yikes one of the MCDs doing this was near where my brother works, he stopped by and there was like 200+ people and heard people complaining they were out. He didn’t even get out of his car.

Okay apparently the McDonald’s here started selling the sauce this morning and ran out like 5 hours ago. They weren’t supposed to start selling until 2PM. How stupid

Biske

I feel bad for the workers.

I remember working at a subway and we ran out of bread, cause we didn't have enough ordered and circumstances led to us running out. Having to explain being out of something as simple as bread to angry customers was pure hell.

I can only imagine staring down 200 + people at a job you have no control over and today is your unlucky day on cashier duty and explaining to person after person "no we don't have it, they only shipped us a box of 20 but my manager lost it..." or "we only got 20, we did a ticket system 5 hours ago..."

Clearly when you tell people you are going to have a sauce, something as simple as fucking sauce, people will assume you at least have a few boxes of dumb ass sauce, thus why hundreds of people show up, especially after such a big marketing campaign, and then coming to folks with "good news, we have 20, yup just 20 1 ounce packets"

I mean god damn.

Went to a participating McDonalds near me...just had only 15 packets. Man, what a crap show. Thank god the store was near me and the line wasn't too bad.

There is one a ten minute walk from me but fuck that. It's downtown salt lake it's gonna be packed. It's a fucking serving of dipping sauce.

Yesterday I was thinking I could show up at like 1:50 get like three packets or something. Lol

Gotta admit, McDonalds has a knack for making people flock to food that's not that great. They do it every year with the mcrib

Diamond

I feel bad for the workers.

I remember working at a subway and we ran out of bread, cause we didn't have enough ordered and circumstances led to us running out. Having to explain being out of something as simple as bread to angry customers was pure hell.

I can only imagine staring down 200 + people at a job you have no control over and today is your unlucky day on cashier duty and explaining to person after person "no we don't have it, they only shipped us a box of 20 but my manager lost it..." or "we only got 20, we did a ticket system 5 hours ago..."

Clearly when you tell people you are going to have a sauce, something as simple as fucking sauce, people will assume you at least have a few boxes of dumb ass sauce, thus why hundreds of people show up, especially after such a big marketing campaign, and then coming to folks with "good news, we have 20, yup just 20 1 ounce packets"

I mean god damn.

Reminds me one evening I went to McDonald's and they were out of meat, a few hours before closing. I remember some people's reactions were freaking toxic. There wasn't a huge line but the second they entered the restaurant they were entitled to their burger. Like, it's McDonald's dude, come another day, they're everywhere.

Aah it's a meme kind of thing, oh well more power to them.

Not a meme. A popular animated show spent half an episode centered around how great this sauce was, so fans of the show naturally wanted to try it. FallOut 4 fans did the same thing when NukaCola was released in stores.

Step 1) Hold off rereleasing this sauce until Election Day 2018.
Step 2) Include one sauce packet with every I Voted sticker.
Step 3) Millenials actually turn up to vote.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The sauce was showing up on eBay from like a week ago. I had no doubt there would be 'shortages' due to it. Employees hustling! I didn't even bother going today because I figured the whole thing would be like the Twitter video in Boston. I've done my fair share of Nintendo lines already :/

Syriel

People ain't lining up for the sauce packets because they want to eat it.

People are lining up for the sauce packets because they want to flip it for a profit on eBay.

Nagito

Man I thought I was going to get some at my md because it’s a smaller town but there’s like a hundred people out side :(
4VzP3r0

Reallink

I would be so pissed

Why did they get rid of Mac Jrs for all this dumb mix and match shit. Never saw anyone order that once.

The guacamole grilled chicken sandwich is the best menu item they've ever had in their entire history, and this promotion has stuck around far longer than they normally do so they must be selling pretty well. That said the Mac Jr. cost them literally nothing to keep on the menu, they have all the ingredients on hand so I have no idea why they would get rid of it.

painey

my shitty little small town didn't even have parking at 2pm. lines out the door, and they werent even offering the sauce. wasnt worth it to me just for the poster

sub-30 sci-fi geeks may not be the people you want voting next year considering what has recently come to light about the tech sector.

old

Activision does the opposite. They routinely release the new COD on Election Day to keep the young guys home.

The sauce was showing up on eBay from like a week ago. I had no doubt there would be 'shortages' due to it. Employees hustling! I didn't even bother going today because I figured the whole thing would be like the Twitter video in Boston. I've done my fair share of Nintendo lines already :/
Man if I worked at McDonald's I'd hustle so hard. If people paid big money for sauce because of memes?

Top Bottom