• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

Sulik2

Sounds like holiday 2016 is almost completely off the table.

2017 it is.

The general rule is launch occurs four to six months after mass production starts. Production starting in July/August and releasing in November fits that schedule perfect. Having a limited quantity is Nintendo's standard MO as well. If they run into production delays it could be Q1 2017, but given the investor pressure on Nintendo right now I would expect the NX to launch in November regardless of how many systems they can put on shelves.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Cant Nintendo just release some fucking info on this thing so we can end the thousands of clueless speculation threads over the internet? Im kinda sick of it
Not before March 31, 2016.

But yes, it would be nice.

FZZ

Banned
I don't know how you can positively assert that. We don't even know if they're doing most of it or just a single component of it. They're going to be busy in the second half of 2016, that's literally all we know from this. This doesn't really change the 2016/2017 debate at all.

trev's leak

production ramping up and the article mentioning iPhone 7 which is certainly launching this year

It's launching this year

Trevelyan

Banned
NX Console - 2016 in NA/PAL, early 2017 in Japan
NX Handheld - 2016 in Japan, early 2017 NA/PAL

This setup makes the most sense to me.

I disagree. They can't have only 6 months between the 2 systems. I feel the handheld will launch the following holiday period so as not to eat too much into the sales of the console.

Anth0ny

Cant Nintendo just release some fucking info on this thing so we can end the thousands of clueless speculation threads over the internet? Im kinda sick of it

check this out

in 2011 they actually showed the wii u at e3

THEN WENT SILENT FOR AN ENTIRE CALENDAR YEAR UNTIL E3 2012

nintendo don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

at least this time they just gave out a code name. I expect them to actually talk about the thing for real in April.

trev's leak

production ramping up and the article mentioning iPhone 7 which is certainly launching this year

It's launching this year

yeah damn

Trevs leak was hardcore inside baseball it seems

Cant believe we had such a huge leak like that. No wonder hes missing

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They can't have only 6 months between the 2 systems.

Why? If they share the games being within months of each other means they can use practically the same launch line-up. Being more than 6 months means that the second NX on the market needs a new launch line-up, which is the perfect recipe for fuck up.

Neoxon

This is purely off the top of my head. I'm likely missing downloadables and other more nice things.

3DS in 2016:

• Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (supposedly based on the Dream Team engine)
  • Final Fantasy Explorers (third party)
  • Project X Zone 2 (third party, though you could make an argument for Monolith being the developers, based on the first game's engine)
  • Fire Emblem Fates (late localization)
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends (not made by Nintendo)
  • Bravely Second (third party, late localization)
  • Monster Hunter Generations (third party, late localization)
  • Dragon Quest 7 (third party, late localization)
  • Dragon Quest 8 (third party, late localization)
  • Ace Attorney 6 (third party)
  • Metroid Prime Federation Force (genuine effort, but isn't done by Nintendo internally)
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon (possibly based on the X/Y engine, & not done by Nintendo internally)
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix (late localization)
  • Style Savvy 3 -- for those that enjoy the series (late localization)

MrV4ltor

This is purely off the top of my head. I'm likely missing downloadables and other more nice things.

3DS in 2016:

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Final Fantasy Explorers
Project X Zone 2
Fire Emblem Fates
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Bravely Second
Monster Hunter Generations
Dragon Quest 7
Dragon Quest 8
Ace Attorney 6
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Style Savvy 3 -- for those that enjoy the series

As much as I want the NX Handheld, it's looking more and more like we're getting the console this year. Wii U is barren. I hope that I'm wrong.

The guy was talking about 2017 tho. What do they have for next year?

Kathian

Banned
The issues tend to be around getting the units to their destinations as quickly as you can make them.

Also Nintendo will be mostly putting together their units from other people's parts. So this sounds like 2016 launch to me. Nintendo will also want to produce to meet demand than have a warehouse full as they did with Wii U Basics.

Davey Cakes

NX console is happening this year because the Wii U is on its last legs.

The 3DS is still fine so they won't have to put out the NX handheld as soon. At this point it seems obvious but I'm no expert on these things.

Banned
Xbox One production properly ramped up in September 2013, if memory serves.
Yeah I don't think people understand how manufacturing works. Or marketing, really.

Nintendo isn't gonna start making NX units in June-November to stock up 10 million. The first production run will likely be late summer. And shorter marketing cycles are more effective, since you're constantly in people's minds instead of dragging it out for a whole calendar year.

Look at PS4, XB1, or games like Fallout 4 and Super Mario 3D World, all products that were shown for the first time six months or less before their respective launches and launched well.

Anth0ny

NX Console - 2016 in NA/PAL, early 2017 in Japan
NX Handheld - 2016 in Japan, early 2017 NA/PAL

This setup makes the most sense to me.

Makes sense to me.

After four straight generations of failing miserably, Nintendo has finally realized that ending the life of one console by releasing FUCK ALL during its final calendar year as a way to lead into the launch of the new console is a dumb fucking idea. The old Nintendo would have released NX in November 2017, with a Mario Party and Kirby game as the only two Wii U games in 2017, leading into the launch of NX with New Super Mario Bros NX and tech demo game.

Instead, we have a really solid Wii U lineup this year, and everything bridges super nicely from Wii U to NX with Zelda releasing as a cross gen title.

Obviously, the 3DS has a little more juice left in the tank, as we saw with yesterday's direct and the announcement of a new gen of Pokemon. Japan will get the NX handheld this year because consoles are basically dead in that territory. They have no choice if they want to have a successful Holiday 2016 there.

What could they have up their sleeve for Wii U? Project Robo turned Starfox Robo? Pikmin 4?

Nah, Wii U is dead. That was clear after last year's E3. Pikmin 4 will likely be NX, no reason to pump it out on a dead platform.

Every rumor, leak, news bit hints at a 2016 launch.

Also, Nintendo isn´t going to start production on the NX in H2 of 2016 and then just let the parts/consoles sit in a warehouse for a year. That´s just a money sink for no reason at all.

And they´re not going to "start talking about the NX in 2016" and then have 12-18 months of announcement to launch.

It´s coming in 2016.

That is the home console. Handheld, dunno. Maybe at the same time, maybe early 2017, maybe both, but in different territories.

Griss

Outside of Paper Mario and Zelda, those will all be out by June.

The fact that TP HD, Pokken, Star Fox, Mario and Sonic, and SMT x FE are all launching by early summer is pretty good proof that the Wii U is about done. Nintendo isn't even trying to spread stuff out at this point. The past three years for the platform have been barren during the first half of the year, save for a couple games.

NX is happening this fall. We'll get Paper Mario and Zelda during the second half of 2016 for Wii U and that's it.

Yeah, surely if they had to ride out this holiday with Wii U some of these would be delayed.

Instead they're being pushed out before E3 because once that NX reveal hits no one will be buying shit for the Wii U any more.

check this out

in 2011 they actually showed the wii u at e3

THEN WENT SILENT FOR AN ENTIRE CALENDAR YEAR UNTIL E3 2012

nintendo don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

at least this time they just gave out a code name. I expect them to actually talk about the thing for real in April.

The reveal / prelaunch marketing of the Wii U always seemed crazy stupid at the time. I wondered how history would treat it. 'Phenomenally stupid' appears to be the answer.

Astral Dog

My thoughts exactly.

If NX = new quality software I'm definitely in.
The Wii U/3DS does not have quality software?
I dont think the NX launch is going to be as big as people expect here that it will "swallow" Wii U/3DS releases, but i sure hope so!

Neoxon

Don't be that guy.
My point is that Nintendo themselves are reeling back on 3DS support almost as much as they are for Wii U support. The major difference is that they have enough third party support & games that have yet to release stateside to give the 3DS a pretty solid 2016 regardless. Not to mention that 3DS development is cheaper, & that they have pre-existing engines to crank out some solid titles to, again, pad out the year's line-up. Most of their true effort is likely going to the NX Platform.

The Wii U/3DS does not have quality software?
I dont think the NX launch is going to be as big as people expect here that it will "swallow" Wii U/3DS releases, but i sure hope so!

It will Swallow WiiU (or have significant crossover) at least

I have no idea about 3DS... that direct seems to imply they want to give it another year minimum in the west

Anth0ny

The reveal / prelaunch marketing of the Wii U always seemed crazy stupid at the time. I wondered how history would treat it. 'Phenomenally stupid' appears to be the answer.

But they kept it a "surprise"

surprises are always so great

and equal dollar signs

right everyone

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Uhhhhh

What?

Twilight Princess HD
Star Fox / Star Fox Guard
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament
Paper Mario: Color Splash

That's seven games annouced yesterday that are upcoming, not including Indie and other eShop games.

E3 is sure to bring some surprise announcements we don't know about yet, plus Zelda later this year.

I'd much rather Nintnedo reveal the NX this year, and give it a full presentation next year (Mirroring the Wii Remote reveal in 2005 and the Wii reveal in 2006) so they can have a solid first year slate of games ready to go.

Twilight Princess HD
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament

That's seven games annouced yesterday that are upcoming, not including Indie and other eShop games.

E3 is sure to bring some surprise announcements we don't know about yet, plus Zelda later this year.

I expect a good chunk of those to also be on NX lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hold on...I'm pretty sure Wii was incredibly hard to find for several months.

By not meeting demand nintendo lost a lot of money.

"Artificial shortage to create demand" doesnt really work in the long run. It is a terrible strategy. The people who say this have not idea how real world business work.

The shortage was caused because Wii demand was much higher than expected. It takes a lot of time to ramp up production and it is risky. If you ramp up production and demand stabilizes, you lose money by having facilities not producing at capacity.

Neoxon

Twilight Princess HD
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament

What surprises? Trev's source already leaked them all, namely that there was only one unannounced Wii U game at the time (which we now know is Paper Mario). Aside from maybe Mother 3, Nintendo likely has nothing left for the Wii U this year that we don't already know about.

Peru

This thing is as good as confirmed for holiday 2016. Only we don't have any idea what the 'thing' is .

NateDrake

Twilight Princess HD
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament

Bold are all releasing by June. Paper Mario and Zelda U are the final "major" Wii U games during the second half of the year.

I am saying this since a couple of months
Lets see if we are right

I'll be shocked if it doesn't play out that way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Twilight Princess HD out already
Star Fox / Star Fox Guard April
Lost Reavers April
Mario & Sonic Olympics June
Tokyo Mirage Sessions June
Pokken Tournament March

I'd much rather Nintnedo reveal the NX this year, and give it a full presentation next year (Mirroring the Wii Remote reveal in 2005 and the Wii reveal in 2006) so they can have a solid first year slate of games ready to go.

There is only one game on that list that doesn't come out until June. You have to separate your wishes from reality.

MrV4ltor

Twilight Princess HD (Out already)
Star Fox / Star Fox Guard (Out before the 2nd half)
Lost Reavers (Digital only, F2P game by Bamco)
Mario & Sonic Olympics (Out before 2nd half, not developed by Nintendo)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Out before 2nd half, not developed by Nintendo)
Pokken Tournament (Out before 2nd half, not developed by Nintendo)
Paper Mario: Color Splash (Only 2nd half game other than Zelda, will be Wii U's swan song)

Gave you my thoughts and Trev's source said that there was only one unannounced game for the 2nd half of 2016, which was revealed to be Paper Mario yesterday.

I'm growing tired of all this speculation. For all we know the NX is a console with an iPad and an iPod Touch-type device. We know next to nothing and we're already getting Foxconn manufacturing confirmations!

Nintendo, reveal this on your own terms soon before everything leaks in a wave of rumors and inaccurate gossips. They cannot wait until E3! Especially if they intend to launch it this year!

Anth0ny

Twilight Princess HD
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament

I'm fairly positive that Wii U will be an afterthought at E3. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the only time it's mentioned is when they announce the platforms for Zelda as "both NX and Wii U". E3 is going to be the NX show from top to bottom, with a bit of 3DS sprinkled in there.

Look at the lineup for Wii U. A lot of Nintendo's first party teams (EAD Tokyo, Retro) have been working on something for the last year or two. Along with Pikmin 4 and some Wii U ports, the NX launch window lineup should be fairly solid.

Jonboy

This thing is as good as confirmed for holiday 2016. Only we don't have any idea what the 'thing' is .
Yep.

I'm holding out hope for a pre-E3 event like Sony and Microsoft did to unveil their consoles. PS4 unveil happened in February IIRC. Maybe we get a March/April unveiling event?

slit

Trev's source said NX home in 2016 with Zelda and NX portable in early 2017, why are we still questioning it?

If Zelda doesn't release at launch for NX they better have some bazooka blasts to hit us with.

Otherwise, that would tell me they learned nothing from the Wii U.

Griss

If you had told me back in 2010 when the 3DS was revealed and my excitiment for it was huge that:

'In six years time (2016) the new nintendo console (the one AFTER the unannounced Wii successor) will be gearing up for production and launch... and the 3DS will finally, only then, receive SNES virtual console games' my mind would have been fully blown.

This is one hell of a slow company. I hope they can change that with NX and get the launch right.

Neoxon

Yep.

I'm holding out hope for a pre-E3 event like Sony and Microsoft did to unveil their consoles. PS4 unveil happened in February IIRC. Maybe we get a March/April unveiling event?
It'd probably be April at the earliest, likely to concede with the start of the new fiscal year for Nintendo.

MrV4ltor

Yep.

Xbox One was revealed in May 2013, so I'd say that they still have plenty of time. A reveal closer to E3 would also keep the hype up and give them more momentum going into the holiday season with maybe 1-2 more Directs focused on the system.

Aroll

Judging by the Nintendo Direct yesterday it looks like Nintendo has a bunch of Wii U games up their sleeve for the remainder of 2016, so I think they could feasibly go one more holiday with the Wii U and make it a full 5-year console lifespan per the usual.

2017 is where things will likely start to get more and more barren in the leadup to the NX launch late in the year.

Yesterday's Nintendo Direct had what, 6 Wii U games? Star Fox, Paper Mario, FE Crossover, Lost Reavers (indie), Pokken, Mario and Sonic Rio

Star Fox and Pokken are the biggest of those titles. Zelda U is obviously coming too. That's 7 titles this year, but it's not unlike any other year. There is a sever lack of big titles and it;s mostly side games and experiments.

Nothing here screams "can't release NX". It screams "need to get all these game sno one buys out asap before NX resets things"

Sounds like holiday 2016 is almost completely off the table.

2017 it is.

This report says the exact opposite. It's predicting huge Q2 earnings for the parts manufacturer making the parts for both the NX and iPhone 7. Thus it's predicting launch sales in 2016 to be big.

Nothing 2017 there.

Astral Dog

If you had told me back in 2010 when the 3DS was revealed and my excitiment for it was huge that:

'In six years time (2016) the new nintendo console (the one AFTER the unannounced Wii successor) will be gearing up for production and launch... and the 3DS will finally, only then, receive SNES virtual console games' my mind would have been fully blown.

This is one hell of a slow company. I hope they can change that with NX and get the launch right.
I think it was because the original 3DS has many problems emulating SNES/GBA games, i expect that to be focus on the NX handheld.

Top Bottom