• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Black 2 and White 2 were released about a year into the 3DS's lifespan, though. Heck, Black/White was released in the same month as 3DS's launch internationally. It's less telling of a 2017 NX handheld release and more likely that Game Freak will just release games for a new handheld whenever they feel like it. They clearly aren't pressured much into assisting handheld launches, otherwise Black/White wouldn't have been on DS, or at least not exclusively.

That was when Nintendo was successful and careless.

whipihguh

Banned

Yeah, I don't think Pokemon games have ever hurt the launch of new hardware, especially when the new systems are backwards compatible. Emerald was released in the launch window of the DS launch as well.

It does make a bit of sense, I think. The older systems already have a large base and those who are gonna be buying a new handheld near launch are probably gonna be the same group of die-hard fans who are gonna buy Pokemon in the same timeframe anyway. They'll play it on the new system until a dedicated Pokemon for the platform comes, provided said handheld is backwards compatible. If not, releasing a new Pokemon game for a new handheld exclusively becomes far more risky than just releasing it for the system with an established userbase.

Yeah, I don't think Pokemon games have ever hurt the launch of new hardware, especially when the new systems are backwards compatible. Emerald was released in the launch window of the DS launch as well.

It does make a bit of sense, I think. The older systems already have a large base and those who are gonna be buying a new handheld near launch are probably gonna be the same group of die-hard fans who are gonna buy Pokemon in the same timeframe anyway.

A theoretical break in the traditional handheld BC is really the only point that could change things up.
I think leaving handheld for next year worldwide might make sense if they can't get everything out this year. I don't expect Japan to have a packed Wii U lineup for the rest of 2016, but there might be enough 3DS games to struggle on until next Feb/March.

whipihguh

Banned
A theoretical break in the traditional handheld BC is really the only point that could change things up.
I think leaving handheld for next year worldwide might make sense if they can't get everything out this year. I don't expect Japan to have a packed Wii U lineup for the rest of 2016, but there might be enough 3DS games to struggle on until next Feb/March.

And at this point it's impossible to say what the NX handheld is even gonna be, least of all compatibility concerns. But when it comes to profit, I think it'd be best to release the new Pokemon on 3DS either way. A 3DS Pokemon probably wouldn't have done much with the 3DS's $250 price point at launch, and if the NX handheld flounders, it's not gonna be because there wasn't a Pokemon game for it right away. The NX handheld'll need games at launch to be sure, but it doesn't need Pokemon. Squeeze the last bits of profit you can get from the 3DS and use that for an NX handheld game in the future when it needs momentum beyond launch.

I totally agree. Even with the 3DS getting on in age, it still has a bit more life in it than the Wii U, and if need be, I think it could hold the line until a NX handheld release at some point in the spring/summer of 2017. The 3DS doesn't really have much more in terms of library than the Wii U for 2016, at least I don't think so, but the new Pokemon can give it a brief second wind. The Wii U sure as hell doesn't have that luxury, so if Nintendo needs to focus on one or the other, they need to get the NX console out the door first.

bachikarn

Nintendo would far more benefit with Definitive Edition ports. It's worked for Sony and MS, there's a market for them, it adds to the portfolio, it's a much better idea than BC.

Considering how much they love to resell you the same VC game over and over again, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide that selling definitive editions of Wii U games is better than having backwards compatibility.

Lutherian

The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure we'll have a Xenoblade X 1080p/60FPS but that won't make the game better : it'll still have the worst main story, UI and characters in a JRPG since Star Ocean The Last Hope.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It does make a bit of sense, I think. The older systems already have a large base and those who are gonna be buying a new handheld near launch are probably gonna be the same group of die-hard fans who are gonna buy Pokemon in the same timeframe anyway. They'll play it on the new system until a dedicated Pokemon for the platform comes, provided said handheld is backwards compatible. If not, releasing a new Pokemon game for a new handheld exclusively becomes far more risky than just releasing it for the system with an established userbase.

Oh, you believe NX will be backward compatible with the 3ds. OK then.

The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure we'll have a Xenoblade X 1080p/60FPS but that won't make the game better : it'll still have the worst main story, UI and characters in a JRPG since Star Ocean The Last Hope.

It's the "worst"... Oh we get it, you do not like XCX and wants the world to know it. Because of this you like to spam threads with ridiculous comments. By the way: Obviously XCX is the best RPG ever created. Don't get mad. :)

whipihguh

Banned
Oh, you believe NX will be backward compatible with the 3ds. OK then.
It might be, but like I said in another post above, it might make more sense right now to release the new Pokemon games on 3DS anyway. A theoretical 2016 NX handheld launch doesn't need a Pokemon game, and profit wise it'd be better on 3DS now anyway. There's still a large userbase there that isn't quite tired of the 3DS yet, so it'd be best to make as much money there to use for a Pokemon NX in the future.

Sure, you could say that for any theoretical NX handheld game, but a new system does need new games. If any franchise was left behind on the last system as a swan song, Pokemon's the money maker, so it makes more sense than most.

It might be, but like I said in another post above, it might make more sense right now to release the new Pokemon games on 3DS anyway. A theoretical 2016 NX handheld launch doesn't need a Pokemon game, and profit wise it'd be better on 3DS now anyway. There's still a large userbase there that isn't quite tired of the 3DS yet, so it'd be best to make as much money there to use for a Pokemon NX in the future.

I never expected them to outright ditch the old hardware cold turkey in 2016 and they said themselves that the transition would be more of a curve

I do expect NX platforms to see plenty of cross gen releases, ports and possibly even BC/emulation in some forms

whipihguh

Banned
I never expected them to outright ditch the old hardware cold turkey in 2016 and they said themselves that the transition would be more of a curve

I do expect NX platforms to see plenty of cross gen releases, ports and possibly even BC/emulation in some forms
Oh I don't expect them to ditch the system cold turkey either. I was just disputing the idea that an NX handheld release didn't make sense because it would hurt Sun/Moon sales. There's been plenty of precedent with Game Freak releasing Pokemon games on older systems with a next-gen launch window or even beyond. Beyond that, I was simply guessing as to why they do that and how it might make sense in this case.

Oh I don't expect them to ditch the system cold turkey either. I was just disputing the idea that an NX handheld release didn't make sense since it would hurt Sun/Moon sales. There's been plenty of precedent with Game Freak releasing Pokemon games on older systems with a next-gen launch window or even beyond.

Whoa whoa whoa

All releases GBA onward had the safety net of BC

GBA to DS to 3DS

I mean sure. Even if NX doesnt have BC it still makes sense to put it on 3DS and it would do just fine in 2016

I dont think they would hesitate to put it on NX as well as a cross gen release in 2016/2017 either

whipihguh

Banned
A cross-gen release is definitely possible, I didn't mean to rule it out. I don't think there's too much of a precedent there for it being done for Pokemon games, but I could absolutely see it happening if backwards compatibility is off the table.

A cross-gen release is definitely possible, I didn't mean to rule it out. I don't think there's too much of a precedent there for it being done for Pokemon games, but I could absolutely see it happening if backwards compatibility is off the table.

Well Nintendo certainly is still leaning on precedent at the moment despite having a plan to completely change the company so your reasoning holds water

whipihguh

Banned
The only reason I'm sitting on precedent so much is because we still know so little about NX to begin with. Precedent can be thrown out at a moment's notice, but for the time being I don't think we really have much else to go on. And at this point it seems like whenever we finally do get details we'll be getting BC/launch window details alongside it.

The only reason I'm sitting on precedent so much is because we still know so little about NX to begin with. Precedent can be thrown out at a moment's notice, but for the time being I don't think we really have much else to go on.

Yup and Nintendo is still acting like NX isnt even on the horizon or that it represents a shift in company policy, philosophy and change

Its fucking irritating

Bowl0l

If Pokemon S/M is cross gen and NX handheld don't have b/c, i will definitely skip Pokemon S/M on 3DS. It will be very easy for me to find Pokemon 2nd hand.

whipihguh

Banned
Yup and Nintendo is still acting like NX isnt even on the horizon or that it represents a shift in company policy, philosophy and change

Its fucking irritating
Well at this rate we'll be seeing it in about three months max, so no real point in releasing any info now!

If these Foxconn reports are connected to earlier comments about AMD chips and ROMs, it seems like Nintendo has a lot of faith in the platform, so I'm really interested to see what exactly they've been keeping so close to their chest this whole time.

Well at this rate we'll be seeing it in about three months max, so no real point in releasing any info now!

If these Foxconn rumors are to be believed (and are connected to earlier comments about AMD chips and ROMs), it seems like Nintendo has a lot of faith in the platform, so I'm really interested to see what exactly they've been keeping close to their chest this whole time.

You and the rest of the world it seems

They really have two choices. Have NX get mostly exclusive software or have a mix of both and have NX swallow up the previous ecosystem

I am leaning towards the latter since we already got word of Zelda and Smash making the jump. They might only do the big console titles but Im expecting far more crossover than that

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
OP updated with better translation. Thanks, Jim_Cacher.

It seems then this is merely speculation by investors/analysts.

Thraktor

Let's see here, the facts are:

Pokemon Sun/Moon (Q4 2016)
Zelda Wii U (Q4 2016)

Now let's see what some of Nintendo's teams have been up to:

EAD Tokyo
- Super Mario 3D World (Q4 2013)
- Captain Toad (Q4 2014)

Retro Studios
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Q1 2014)

The thing is I can't see them release Zelda, Pokemon, 3D Mario and Retro's game all within a few weeks of each other. First of all if the next gen console and handheld are two separate platforms they will develop unique games for, Nintendo is already fucked so I'm disregarding that as a possibility.

Assuming NX console launches first in 2016 actually makes the most sense because then Pokemon has some time for itself and they can release 3D Mario alongside NX handheld in Q1 2017. All signs point to Zelda getting an NX port and perhaps the other big hitter for the launch is Retro's game. I don't know how else to fit all the details together.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an Animal Crossing in NX's launch window, at least in Japan. There hasn't been a mainline AC game released since 2012, and although some of the staff moved over to Splatoon, neither the director, assistant director or producer of New Leaf worked on Splatoon. Plus, Amiibo Festival was developed by ND Cube, and HHD wouldn't have required much development resources (and was partly handled by Monolith, in any case).

It also makes a lot of sense as an early NX title for a variety of reasons:

• It's one of their top selling franchises (New Leaf is close to 10M WW)
  • It's a good way to show the benefits of cross-play (being able to visit your village both at home and on the move)
  • It's a good way to show off cloud saves (allowing other players to visit your village even when you're not playing)
  • It's a good way to show off integration with mobile apps (a F2P AC mobile game could tie in with your NX AC village)
It wouldn't surprise me if a Wii U Animal Crossing game was switched to NX relatively early when they realised how well it could work as a launch window title for the new platform.

What's so unbelievable about the NX releasing this year? Nintendo has revealed and released systems within the same year before.

Developers are just getting to know the kits, if they're lucky enough to have one. Even a mediocre game needs more than a year these days. It would have little to no 3rd party support. Oh wait, that's never stopped Nintendo from releasing a console in the past...

bachikarn

Developers are just getting to know the kits, if they're lucky enough to have one. Even a mediocre game needs more than a year these days. It would have little to no 3rd party support. Oh wait, that's never stopped Nintendo from releasing a console in the past...

You don't know if that is actually the case.

Mariolee

Didn't they get the dev kits last year and we can assume Nintendo's internal devs had familiarity with it beforehand (i.e. devs don't always wait until they get dev kits to start preplanning and structuring games).

Also, IIRC the Wii U had plenty pf third party support at launch. The bad thing was that they were all ports.

Don't know if the snark is warranted.

AdanVC

Rösti;197634713 said:
OP updated with better translation. Thanks, Jim_Cacher.

It seems then this is merely speculation by investors/analysts.

S I GH You know just how much I dislike that word now... Everything just speculation, rumors, etc. When is Nintendo gonna spill the soup!

We appreciate the info provided and translation. Thanks!

Astral Dog

well, they could release an updated NX version later of SUN/MOON , as their ffirst Pokemon release on that hardware, but i dont see much wrong in releasing the new Pokemon games on the most popular, cheapest available system that Nintendo has right now. Pokemon by itself is big, but its good that kids have a system now that can play it.

caleb1915

Will I get banned for discussing the humanitarian issues with Nintendo using Foxconn to manufacture their products? We all know how horrible working conditions are there, and with everything we've been learning about job security and work conditions for developers are here then there's a relatable situation. I read the first few pages and didn't really see anything about it.

And lol at spellcheck telling me relatable isn't a word.

iMax

Will I get banned for discussing the humanitarian issues with Nintendo using Foxconn to manufacture their products? We all know how horrible working conditions are there, and with everything we've been learning about job security and work conditions for developers are here then there's a relatable situation. I read the first few pages and didn't really see anything about it.

And lol at spellcheck telling me relatable isn't a word.

I wouldn't blame Nintendo, I'd blame China.

Sure, Nintendo could manufacture its product themselves but they'd immediately price themselves out of the market, or would be forced to forego the profit margins their shareholders expect.

Either way, they're done. It's impossible to manufacture sustainably outside of China (and other low-wage nations) at scale, in this product category.

Best they can do is to mitigate the conditions the best they can. Ball's in their court.

Top Bottom