• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
And he'll be fucking wise just because he's a supporting character.

You know what? I don't even want a Boss WWII game if they're gonna screw her up like this.

I think Fake Snake could only be for GZ not TPP, and is more likely just him in the coma projecting GZ.
I don't see much point in making GZ a projection. Why would it be the case?
This was what MGS2 was. MGS2 is why we love snake so much, even though Kojima was already done with the series. It's a love letter to the legend of Snake through an "imposters" eyes so we can see how great they are.
That's what rojo said. That wasn't my main takeaway from MGS2, though it's been years since I played it. A lot of the discussion going on on this page goes into the reasons why.

foxtrot3d

Banned
And he'll be fucking wise just because he's a supporting character.

You know what? I don't even want a Boss WWII game if they're gonna screw her up like this.

We'll find out that The Boss was clueless and gullible until she met her own mentor named "The Chief" who she was forced to kill after learning he was a German spy. Afterwards she formally adopted the title "The Boss" out of respect for her old master.

EDIT:

An another note how fucking cool is this thing, iDroid iPhone 5s case:

BknHkRdCQAAM86q.jpg

BknBhZdCMAAexyv.jpg

BkqjmyvCMAAdhHb.jpg

Betty

Banned
Clear example of this is found in the difference between MGS2 Snake (supporting character) and MGS4 snake (main character):
mgs4_soldout_snakechange_med.gif

You can say Kojima should never have created the events that made Snake turn into what he becomes in 4, but his character does make sense after all the things that happen between 2 and 4.

- He doesn't stop the proliferation of Metal Gear, the Patriots censorship or the commonplace surge of warfare.

- Liquid evades capture.

- He's grown rapidly old and decrepit, having just a year left to live and unable to fulfill all the things he wanted to do, like leaving a greater legacy. <- I think this is the biggest contributor to his personality change in 4.

- He's practically alone relationship wise.

Then all the shit just keeps piling on when Guns of the Patriots start: He realizes he's barely fit to be on the battlefield, the dormant foxdie virus will become rampant, the few people he has some connections to keep dying, etc.

It would be a surprise if the Snake we meet in 4 wasn't the way he is.

I have said this time and time again. It was SUPER annoying in PW where BB is now in charge of a global PMC after having quit from ruling the world secretly as a Patriot and yet still he doesn't seem to take charge. Rather, Kaz seems to be the brains behind everything with BB giving tacit approval for everything Kaz suggests. It sorta deflates the entire Big Boss mythos.

Right. I get in MGS3 that he hadn't yet developed ideals. It was his story of following his country, and choosing his loyalties and then afterward he had to rethink them. That makes sense. But by now, now that he's "legend" the guy should have some god damn opinions and ideas for what direction he wants things to go. Again, he was a member of the Patriots. Why? He offers no ideas for how to approach anything whatsoever. And furthermore, he supposedly recruited all of these soldiers himself. How? With his resume and cool aesthetic of an eye patch, cigar and motorcycle?

Don't get me wrong, I love Solid Snake as a character. And I love Big Boss. They're iconic. And as someone mentioned before, being short with words is fine too. You don't need to deliver lengthy speeches to be decisive. Just do SOMETHING. I'm hoping that the Big Boss we see in The Phanton Pain will deliver more of just that. The final events of Ground Zeroes will bring everything to a head and he'll finally step up to the plate and take control of the ship and set the plans that he wants to set into motion. In addition to just being a great soldier.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You can say Kojima should never have created the events that made Snake turn into what he becomes in 4, but his character does make sense after all the things that happen between 2 and 4.

- He doesn't stop the proliferation of Metal Gear, the Patriots censorship or the commonplace surge of warfare.

- Liquid evades capture.

- He's grown rapidly old and decrepit, having just a year left to live and unable to fulfill all the things he wanted to do, like leaving a greater legacy.

- He's practically alone relationship wise.

Then all the shit just keeps piling on when Guns of the Patriots start: He realizes he's barely fit to be on the battlefield, the dormant foxdie virus will become rampant, the few people he has some connections to keep dying, etc.

It would be a surprise if the Snake we meet in 4 wasn't the way he way.

Nor could he stop the

You're almost right, but this is closer to the truth:

-MGS2 was supposed to be the last MGS game Kojima would make. Fans and Konami keep forcing him to make more MGS games.
-Kojima is getting older and wants to do new things but grows bitter from having to keep make MGS games.
-Kojima has become more isolated as a game developer as a younger generation of developers begin take over the industry who he has no connection with.
-Shooters and FPS games have become common place with less emphasis on story and cutscenes and an ever increased focused on online multiplayer.

Snake is old and bitter because Kojima is old and bitter.

Betty

Banned

-MGS2 was supposed to be the last MGS game Kojima would make. Fans and Konami keep forcing him to make more MGS games.
-Kojima is getting older and wants to do new things but grows bitter from having to keep make MGS games.
-Kojima has become more isolated as a game developer as a younger generation of developers begin take over the industry who he has no connection with.
-Shooters and FPS games have become common place with less emphasis on story and cutscenes and an ever increased focused on online multiplayer.

Sure, sure, I get that the Snake we meet in 4 is supposed to be an avatar for Kojima's unhappy, frustrated state at the time. Just saying that his character change does make sense under the circumstances he was given.

Does anyone honestly believe this shit?

It's pretty well known he didn't have a plan to take the story beyond MGS2 and that he was ready to leave the franchise in Konami's hands. But when MGS3 ran into issues, he was drafted back in. He tried to step away from MGS4 and received death threats and even more internal pressure to return.

Does anyone honestly believe this shit?

beastmode

Here's something interesting, there are only three characters with red hair that I can think of in the entire Kojima canon MGS games. Para-Medic, Psycho Mantis, Meryl.

Now think of the very blatant color symbolism of MGS3/PW/V and how PW boils it down to Red vs. Yellow.

FOX vs. XOF
Para-Medic
vs.
Ocelot

http://youtu.be/jy3Q6T7OQKk

Sami+

I'm not watching a 35 minute video to justify somebody's conspiracy theory that Kojima is being forced to make Metal Gear Solid games.

Then don't criticize the theories if you aren't willing to spend half an hour to actually learn what the hell you're talking about.

AppleMIX

Don't post stupid theories if you're incapable of backing them up with your own words.

Fine, TLDR: MGS2 is a post modern deconstruction of the game hype machine. The game is a complete mess from a narrative and story perspective. However, he uses this to give off a greater point.

It's even more painfully obvious when MGS 4 was released and the game was a complete mess because it had to canonize the events of MGS2.

MGS2 was never supposed to have a sequel.

Why do you think it ends the way it does?

Snake talking about the importance of passing on something to the new generation. These statements were supposed to be final.

Don't post stupid theories if you're incapable of backing them up with your own words.

And? Which group of fans forced Kojima to make his next 6 Metal Gear games?

You're really being quite unfair. Kojima's never been quiet about planning to get away from MGS after 2 (and then 3...ad infinitum).

You're really being quite unfair. Kojima's never been quiet about planning to get away from MGS after 2 (and then 3...ad infinitum).

ok, so then we have two scenarios: 1. Kojima changed his mind about making metal gear games OR 2. Kojima has been repeatedly forced against his will to make games for fear of retribution from Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 fans.

Alienous

Kojima has to make Metal Gear Solid games because he's unwilling to pass the torch. It'll forever be a 'Hideo Kojima game' made by 'Kojima Productions'.

"Oh, but his team screwed up Rising". Did they? Imagine Neil Druckmann asking the team who made The Last of Us to make another game in the franchise, but a 90+ Metacritic cart racer, whilst also telling them they're shit and he doesn't believe in them. That's essentially what Kojima did. He didn't give his team the necessary time to fail, and thus they can't work independently.

And what of the games that Kojima only produced? Well, despite having better characters, writing, and more true Metal Gear Solid gameplay, Portable Ops was ignored off of the face of the Earth. Because it wasn't a Hideo Kojima game.

The only thing stopping Kojima from separating with the franchise is his unwillingness to. He doesn't think anyone else can handle it.

Edit, TLDR:

This trailer symbolizes Kojima's thoughts on "passing on the torch". At the end of the day, fuck that, it's better to be Big Boss. Go pick those dogtags back up, bitch.

atr0cious

Kojima has to make Metal Gear Solid games because he's unwilling to pass the torch. It'll forever be a 'Hideo Kojima game' made by 'Kojima Productions'.

"Oh, but his team screwed up Rising". Did they? Imagine Neil Druckmann asking the team who made The Last of Us to make another game in the franchise, but a 90+ Metacritic cart racer, whilst also telling them they're shit and he doesn't believe in them. That's essentially what Kojima did. He didn't give his team the necessary time to fail, and thus they can't work independently.

And what of the games that Kojima only produced? Well, despite having better characters, writing, and more true Metal Gear Solid gameplay, Portable Ops was ignored off of the face of the Earth. Because it wasn't a Hideo Kojima game.

The only thing stopping Kojima from separating with the franchise is his unwillingness to. He doesn't think anyone else can handle it.

Didn't Kojima shame the Rising team because they'd spent so much time doing nothing? At least Kojima didn't waste money like Sony did with Stig, dropped them and had Platinum come in and show them how it was done. Kojima has been dragged into every game since 2, so I don't see how this is a new revelation.

Alienous

Didn't Kojima shame the Rising team because they'd spent so much time doing nothing? At least Kojima didn't waste money like Sony did with Stig, dropped them and had Platinum come in and show them how it was done. Kojima has been dragged into every game since 2, so I don't see how this is a new revelation.

He essentially threw a child into a lake, went to have lunch, then when he came back and the child just starts to manage to swim takes them out and proceeds to scold them for even bothering. Then he gets the kid next door, who's been swimming for ages, to swim the length and further demoralize the child.

Edit, TLDR:

This trailer symbolizes Kojima's thoughts on "passing on the torch". At the end of the day, fuck that, it's better to be Big Boss. Go pick those dogtags back up, bitch.

+ Konami is against the idea of KojiPro devolping new IPs.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Fine, TLDR: MGS2 is a post modern deconstruction of the game hype machine.

It's broader than that. It's not only a deconstruction of the series and of video games as a medium (as well as the player's relationship with them), but of the nature of reality in the so-called 'Information Age'. It's videogames' version of Watchmen, as far as I'm concerned.

...or summink.

Holykael1

Banned
We'll find out that The Boss was clueless and gullible until she met her own mentor named "The Chief" who she was forced to kill after learning he was a German spy. Afterwards she formally adopted the title "The Boss" out of respect for her old master.

What comes before The Chief? Wait shouldnt The Chief be Big chief because before Big Chief there was The Chief?

Betty

Banned

They had well over a year and still couldn't figure out how to even implement the 'cutting' mechanic, who knows how far behind they were on everything else.

Alienous said:

It also brought back Sokolov for no reason, turned Gray Fox into a soulless anime stereotype with a new unnecessary backstory and had some really bad gameplay mechanics (slowly dragging bodies back to a truck was the epitome of unfun) People can bemoan how 'silly' the Fulton function is but damn is it such a great gameplay design choice.

Playing or seeing Portable Ops back to back with Peace Walker just shows the gulf in quality that Hideo Kojima delivered on a portable Metal Gear experience, sure you can dislike the story or writing in Peace Walker, but the gameplay and design in Kojima's effort were orders of magnitude more enjoyable.

Alienous said:

Don't most people think that? I know I do, it's hard to imagine someone else taking over the reins and being able to balance the crazy yet serious contrasting tones the series is known for while also making the next entry feel unique enough in it's gameplay additions to stand on it's own.

I can't even imagine how terrifying it must be for someone else to consider taking over. The weight and responsibility that would entail probably scares most people off before they even begin.

He also said this very recently:

"Ideally I would like to step out from the Metal Gear franchise as a producer and dedicate myself to other games. So far that has proven to be a bit difficult. Alien is a very successful example [of a new director coming in]. Unfortunately in our case it's more like Terminator, that once Cameron steps out of it there was kind of a mess."

And I'd have to say he's probably right. If and or when he does ever leave the franchise, the chances that his successor/s fuck it up is just too dizzyingly high. Love to be proven wrong on that aspect, but you only need to look at Konami's other high value franchises to realize how likely it would be.

Which is why when he does finally let go of the series, I'd prefer they just stop it altogether to be honest.

The Chief, also referred to as John-117, is lead antagonist of Metal Gear Solid VI. Because his face is hidden throughout the game, facial capture data is not needed. When his voice is heard for the very first time, the iconic line, "Kept you waiting, huh?" is delivered by none other than David Hayter.

All makes sense, now.

Alienous

They had well over a year and still couldn't figure out how to even implement the 'cutting' mechanic, who knows how far behind they were on everything else.

'Well over a year' really is no time for a developer. They managed to leave the conceptualization stage, which is a feat in of itself for a team without heavy directoral involvement.

It's like Quantic Dream being tasked by David Cage with making a platformer game whilst he scolds them disapprovingly. It was a whole new genre for them to tackle, so naturally new problems would have to be overcome. I'm sure they would have fared much better making MGS5.

It also brought back Sokolov for no reason, turned Gray Fox into a soulless anime stereotype with a new unnecessary backstory and had some really bad gameplay mechanics (slowly dragging bodies back to a truck was the epitome of unfun) People can bemoan how 'silly' the Fulton function is but damn is it such a great gameplay design choice.

Playing or seeing Portable Ops back to back with Peace Walker just shows the gulf in quality that Hideo Kojima delivered on a portable Metal Gear experience, sure you can dislike the story or writing in Peace Walker, but the gameplay and design in Kojima's effort were orders of magnitude more enjoyable.

I didn't care much for Sokolov's involvement either, but off-screen deaths must be entertained, I suppose.

Things like dragging soldiers back to base was tiring, because that was how it mechanically worked. You're meant to choose who to recruit much more deliberately, and avoid detection whilst doing so. It largely wasn't necessary, and wasn't meant to be fun, but it serves its purpose. The grindy bullet sponge bosses in Peace Walker are similarly bad design. The other discrepancies are better chalked up to dev time and budget, rather than director influence.

Don't most people think that? I know I do, it's hard to imagine someone else taking over the reins and being able to balance the crazy yet serious contrasting tones the series is known for while also making the next entry feel unique enough in it's gameplay additions to stand on it's own.

I can't even imagine how terrifying it must be for someone else to consider taking over. The weight and responsibility that would entail probably scares most people off before they even begin.

He also said this very recently:

"Ideally I would like to step out from the Metal Gear franchise as a producer and dedicate myself to other games. So far that has proven to be a bit difficult. Alien is a very successful example [of a new director coming in]. Unfortunately in our case it's more like Terminator, that once Cameron steps out of it there was kind of a mess."

And I'd have to say he's probably right. If and or when he does ever leave the franchise, the chances that his successor/s fuck it up is just too dizzyingly high. Love to be proven wrong on that aspect, but you only need to look at Konami's other high value franchises to realize how likely it would be.

Which is why when he does finally let go of the series, I'd prefer they just stop it altogether to be honest.

For every jewel like MGS3, he has also directed a respective dud like MGS4.

He's never left the franchise long enough to see if he's a key ingredient, especially now after 20 years of making these games. I think his team understands the elements and has the competency to make MGS without him. Not that they wouldn't be different, but I doubt the franchise would crumble with his departure.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The other discrepancies are better chalked up to dev time and budget, rather than director influence.

Why...?

For every jewel like MGS3, he has also directed a respective dud like MGS4.

He's never left the franchise long enough to see if he's a key ingredient, especially now after 20 years of making these games. I think his team understands the elements and has the competency to make MGS without him. Not that they wouldn't be different, but I doubt the franchise would crumble with his departure.

He's arguably directed way more jewels than he has duds, so I don't think that is a fair statement.

What have you got against Kojima exactly? XD

Betty

Banned
Things like dragging soldiers back to base was tiring, because that was how it mechanically worked. You're meant to choose who to recruit much more deliberately, and avoid detection whilst doing so. It largely wasn't necessary, and wasn't meant to be fun, but it serves its purpose. The grindy bullet sponge bosses in Peace Walker are similarly bad design. The other discrepancies are better chalked up to dev time and budget, rather than director influence.

Peace Walker's bosses needed to be better scaled when being fought alone, on co-ops they were a treat, but they did drag on for too long in most cases.

And c'mon, the Fulton Recovery is a far better method of capturing soldiers than dragging them. I'm still deciding which ones to pick, I'm still in control of when to do it, it's just more fluid and fun, which is what matters.

Alienous said:
For every jewel like MGS3, he has also directed a respective dud like MGS4

Plenty of folk like, even love, MGS4, and to Konami, all they probably look at is the metacritic/sales and call it a day,

You're absolutely right that Kojima is largely to blame for why the series is now so difficult to hand off. If someone else had directed a main entry by now or being groomed by him to take over things might be very different, but as it stands, the success of the series is considered intrinsically tied to his involvement.

While I'd like to believe the franchise wouldn't wither without him, I still say the chances it would are far, far higher.

Holykael1

Banned
MGS 4 is a jewel. It had some shoddy explanations here and there but they are starting to shape up as we learn more about MGS 3 characters.
It was a very emotionally impactful game for me, it was awesome.
Also im pretty sure more like it than hate it.

cackhyena

I can't believe anyone actually believes Kojima is forced to keep making these. I didn't know the slave trade was alive and well at Konami.

Alienous

It's the same team, and Portable Ops (developed somewhat parallel to MGS4) probably had a much smaller team and budget. So things like a smaller scope, or less refined controls, probably weren't because the team couldn't achieve those things, but rather because they didn't have the resources to.

He's arguably directed way more jewels than he has duds, so I don't that is a fair statement.

What have you got against Kojima exactly? XD

No, sure. I'm just saying he isn't infallible, thus given the circumstances I don't think Rising is evidence that the team didn't have the potential for a great game.

Look at how many things changed with MGS3 to make a near perfect game. The difference between that and Rising is that Kojima had, seemingly, as much money and time as he could want, and nobody who would tell him off if he got it wrong. Rising hardly had 2 years of solid dev time before being canceled.

And I have nothing against Kojima, but I just hate how, clearly, the only obstacle to him leaving the series is himself, yet he complains about having to return to the series. Zone of the Enders shows the clout he has. He should just admit that he's unwilling to make anything other than Metal Gear.

I'm sure Konami would love another Kojima IP to market whilst MGS is handled without him.

Holykael1

Banned
It's the same team, and Portable Ops (developed somewhat parallel to MGS4) probably had a much smaller team and budget. So things like a smaller scope, or less refined controls, probably weren't because the team couldn't achieve those things, but rather because they didn't have the resources to.

Making tight controls has nothing to do with budget, just saying.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

That's supposition at best, really. It could equally be down to the team lacking Kojima's eye for details. Us plebs will never know :)

No, sure. I'm just saying he isn't infallible, thus given the circumstances I don't think Rising is evidence that the team didn't have the potential for a great game.

Look at how many things changed with MGS3 to make a near perfect game. The difference between that and Rising is that Kojima had, seemingly, as much money and time as he could want, and nobody who would tell him off if he got it wrong. Rising hardly had 2 years of solid dev time before being canceled.

I think Kojima got that kind of free reign after MGS2, to be honest. That was an absolutely massive deal.

From what I read (back in the day), the Rising team didn't have any ideas on how to build an actual game out of the mechanics they were presented with (namely the cutting mechanic and fitting in high-speed stealth). In the end, the only reason it got cancelled was because Kojima or Konami or whatever didn't think it would be a very good game and subsequently wouldn't make any money.

It was, as far as I remember meant to be a high-speed stealth game. It was only after Platinum took the IP that it became the amazing Hack n Slash we know and love.

And I have nothing against Kojima, but I just hate how, clearly, the only obstacle to him leaving the series is himself, yet he complains about having to return to the series. Zone of the Enders shows the clout he has. He should just admit that he's unwilling to make anything other than Metal Gear.

Says one things, does another. That's just him being human, innit? :)

I can't believe anyone actually believes Kojima is forced to keep making these. I didn't know the slave trade was alive and well at Konami.

Certainly not forced in the literal sense, but more in a way where he knows without him, the whole project would crumble. The situation with MGS Rising kinda speaks for itself: an incredible proof of concept that failed to move beyond that stage. Still, they have some incredible talents there.

The theory that kojima was forced to work on later MGS games is just ridiculous. If it was that bad he could have just quited his job. Any gaming studio would kill for kojima to work for them, hell he could have easily started his own independent gaming studio and made whatever he wanted, the reason he keept making MGS games is because he just couldn't let go of his game, no his child to be exact.

cackhyena

Certainly not forced in the literal sense, but more in a way where he knows without him, the whole project would crumble. The situation with MGS Rising kinda speaks for itself: an incredible proof of concept that failed to move beyond that stage. Still, they have some incredible talents there.
Then he lets it crumble. At the end of the day, it sounds like he just can't let the series go for all he talks of wanting to. His legacy isn't tarnished because an inferior team would take over. If he was serious about wanting out, he's a big enough name, he could go elsewhere and try his hand at something fresh.

Then he lets it crumble. At the end of the day, it sounds like he just can't let the series go for all he talks of wanting to. His legacy isn't tarnished because an inferior team would take over. If he was serious about wanting out, he's a big enough name, he could go elsewhere and try his hand at something fresh.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just explaining things from his perspective. This was his reasoning behind sticking around behind the MGS brand. He also feels emotionally attached to it, and has admitted as much. This plays into why he feels so nervous about letting the series fall under someone else's responsibility.

cackhyena

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just explaining things from his perspective. This was his reasoning behind sticking around behind the MGS brand. He also feels emotionally attached to it, and has admitted as much. This plays into why he feels so nervous about letting the series fall under someone else's responsibility.
Personally, I'd hate it if he quit now. He and his team have crafted the best game yet as far as mechanics go and the way you interact with the world, imo. Just gimme this and maybe one more and then get out for good.

Just whatever he does next, I hope he has the good sense to hire someone who knows what they're doing with scripts to reign the dialogue and superfluous exposition in.

AppleMIX

It's broader than that. It's not only a deconstruction of the series and of video games as a medium (as well as the player's relationship with them), but of the nature of reality in the so-called 'Information Age'. It's videogames' version of Watchmen, as far as I'm concerned.

...or summink.

Well sure, but in the context of "this is the last MGS Kojima will make". That was the point is was trying to make.

Ishida

Banned

Well, at least we can agree on something! XD

Yeah, Kojima is not being forced to work on the games. I've always respected Kojima for his genius, vision and hard work, but I know he has become a huge Diva ever since MGS2 was a successful game. Then we started to see "A Hideo Kojima game" on every Metal Gear game. You don't see a "A game by Shigeru Miyamoto" on the cover of any Mario game...

I think Kojima has become too much of an attention whore. All the stuff about "being a tortured developer forced to work on a franchise" is just an act. He works on Metal Gear because he wants to. Konami cannot force him, and if they did, Kojima can just easily quit the company. Just imagine how many companies would kill to have Kojima in their ranks.

If he TRULY wanted out of Metal Gear, he would just do it.

Holykael1

Banned
Well, at least we can agree on something! XD

Yeah, Kojima is not being forced to work on the games. I've always respected Kojima for his genius, vision and hard work, but I know he has become a huge Diva ever since MGS2 was a successful game. Then we started to see "A Hideo Kojima game" on every Metal Gear game. You don't see a "A game by Shigeru Miyamoto" on the cover of any Mario game...

I think Kojima has become too much of an attention whore. All the stuff about "being a tortured developer forced to work on a franchise" is just an act. He works on Metal Gear because he wants to. Konami cannot force him, and if they did, Kojima can just easily quit the company. Just imagine how many companies would kill to have Kojima in their ranks.

If he TRULY wanted out of Metal Gear, he would just do it.

To be fair, MGS 1 already had "A Hideo Kojima game"(not on the cover but in the intro of the game iirc) and I think a part of him really wants to end the MGS franchise but he just can't let go for one reason or another...

The theory that kojima was forced to work on later MGS games is just ridiculous. If it was that bad he could have just quited his job. Any gaming studio would kill for kojima to work for them, hell he could have easily started his own independent gaming studio and made whatever he wanted, the reason he keept making MGS games is because he just couldn't let go of his game, no his child to be exact.

More like because he wants to be the Big Boss of his own studio.

Spaghetti

i don't really think it's divaism that's keeping him doing metal gear. there are basically three reasons in my mind:

a.) he doesn't feel his team can continue to keep the franchise successful to the same degree or grow it further. a few years ago i thought kojima was kind of an asshole for railing on his team and saying he had to bail them out with mgs3, but after rising failed to materialise after so long, i completely understand and accept his position on this. if anything, he might be afraid they may not even release a product let alone a bad game.

b.) as stated in a semi-recent interview, getting a budget for a new ip is difficult, but if he wants to create a game within the confines of metal gear, he can get almost whatever budget and resources he desires, even for an unproven idea. i think with peace walker and mgsv kojima has sort of made peace with the idea of continuing to make metal gear games, while exploiting the clout the franchise has to make different types of metal gear games and incorporate some of the ideas he's had for other games into mgs.

c.) this is probably the most important reason, sentimentality. he knows metal gear as a whole isn't the crux of konami's business, but it is for their computer entertainment division. if he were to leave konami (he won't), or at least move onto different projects, a metal gear game failing to meet expectation could result in significant cutbacks or a change of direction at kojima productions or konami's computer entertainment division, and i doubt kojima wants to feel responsible for that happening. there's also the risk of spending many years in the wilderness of development hell (like rising) and losing some of the talent they've been pulling into kojima productions due to being unable to ship a product, which messes with kojima's goal to make his studio a world leader in video games.

Top Bottom