• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-E news: New Agni's Philosophy in June 2013, (very) small VXIII and LR:XIII update

They can take how long they want on Versus, I'll play it when I play it, time is irrelevant as long as I'm alive and get to play it.

Yep I'm in the same boat. Just let me know when I can buy it and I will. But I'm moving on with my life for the time being, got other things to do than put my life on hold for a game most likely 2-3 years away with localization and all that jazz.

I am excited to see more of Agni. I would love to see more of that futuristic city we saw at the end of the first video.

StuBurns

Banned
Dragon Quest VII? Well, same year in Japan, a year later for NA.
Yeah, in Japan it wasn't.

There are successful titles on PS2 around that point, Guitar Hero 3 did great, but if LR is next fall in Japan, it's probably Feb/March '14 for us, if Versus was to follow the FF release pattern of late, it'll be Feb/March '15, way too late to turn a profit on PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, in Japan it wasn't.

There are successful titles on PS2 around that point, Guitar Hero 3 did great, but if LR is next fall in Japan, it's probably Feb/March '14 for us, if Versus was to follow the FF release pattern of late, it'll be Feb/March '15, way too late to turn a profit on PS3.

LR is probably going to be a worldwide release around Sept/Oct. If Versus released 6 months after that, it would be in-line with something like God of War 2's release.

Vamphuntr

Can you name a single game that sold in the multi-millions more than a year after that console was replaced?

In NA and on the scale of FFVersus 13? Nope.

Can you name a project of the scale of FFvsXIII with 5 years of development on a platform that ended up being released on the successor to the platform it was designed for and ended up as a multi million seller?

I think FF13 started on the PS2 but I doubt they've spent 5 years on the PS2 developping it.

Too Human, maybe? That is not the same scale at all.

Dragon Quest 7 switched platform from N64/N64DD to PSX but that is not the same thing either.

With the amount of money and effort they've poured into this I would be surprised if it's not multiplatform at the very least.

Seeing as FF XIII had one of the most innovative and exciting battle systems I have ever seen in a JRPG I very much disagree with this. Every new FF seems to be innovative in that sense. They certainly aren't rehashes.

And I dunno if growing up is it. Maybe for you. But i'm 32 and love FF more than ever. But my chief draw is enjoyable battle systems and customization, not story.
I will concede to the point that XIII's fast and fluid battle system has made it less of a chore than pvevious entries to play, but when the story is populated with endlessly dislikable characters it provides little incentive to trudge onwards. And truth be told, at 28, the insurmountable angst found in a large number of FF titles is only something I've recently come to grips with. It's one of those situations where you realize that things aren't quite as good as your fond memories of them would indicate them being. I can see how as a fan of tactical battle systems that the game would appeal to you, but I personally got more enjoyment out of Valkyria Chronicles, apples and oranges I know.

Rad-

-Something "different" about Agni's Philosophy will be shown in June 2013 (E3?), on "something other than PC". Based on the guy's smile, it's clearly next-gen platforms.

Agni's to be revealed as an Ito semi-open world, job system including FF15. BELIEVE!

Coxy

The whole thing reads as "we have no idea what we're doing"

I wonder... If majority of the feedback says "fuck Lightning, get her outta there", does that mean they'll change Lightning to someone else? :p

except they probably don't let you say that, they'll ask

How awesome was lightning?

A: So awesome
B: Super Awesome
C: Supremely Awesome
D: Sexy Awesome

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
-Lightning Returns: Development is quite advanced, they're currently showing it to focus groups to find out which element they should concentrate on to please fans. Also, he said that on a technological level, Versus XIII elements were used for this game. It will keep some elements from FFXIII/XIII-2 but will be quite different from every FF that's come out so far.
Hummmmmm.

Noi, if you're reading this, I think we should go to Japan and ask SE to show us that gameplay footage. I don't care if it's in Alpha. I wanna see animations and attacks. Is comboing/juggling a thing in this game? I hope it is. :O

StuBurns

Banned
Consider 13-2. Announced in January 2011, released in December 2011/January 2012. LR is likely to have a similar turn around time based on SE comments.
That is not a worldwide release. It's still basically February, it was one day off.
In NA and on the scale of FFVersus 13? Nope.

Can you name a project of the scale of FFvsXIII with 5 years of development on a platform that ended up being released on the successor to the platform it was designed for and ended up as a multi million seller?
No I can't, which was my point. It can't make money in either scenario, unless a first party pays them.

sleepykyo

Have they spent a lot on FF Versus? I keep hearing that, but parts of the staff seemed to keep getting borrowed to work on FF13 something or another and then there was the FF14 flopping and needing to be redone.

Dunan

Agni's to be revealed as an Ito semi-open world, job system including FF15. BELIEVE!

^ Make this happen!

And every time I see the letters "LR" referring to a game, I keep thinking that SE is going to finally release that PS3 version of The Last Remnant, which I've always wanted to play. Now with them having given the initials to another turgid Toriyama-managed Lightning vehicle, I know that we'll never get the "real LR".

Osaka15

Banned
Final Fantasy Versus 13 is going to be amazing. I love when a game is ambitious. I hope it is a game that has tons of content and is similiar to Type 0 more than other final Fantasy title.

Have they spent a lot on FF Versus? I keep hearing that, but parts of the staff seemed to keep getting borrowed to work on FF13 something or another and then there was the FF14 flopping and needing to be redone.

Well I can tell you the marketing costs have been $0.

StuBurns

Banned
Close enough.
So, if it's six months later, you think Versus is shipping October 2014? That is still too late. The PS2 had longer legs than the PS3 will have, every publisher will be projecting that. SE have made no effort to get Versus out while the PS3 is viable, I don't believe they will ship on it at this point.

Whompa

Jesus,

I love how they keep mentioning how elements of Versus are used for this game and that game...at the same time I just want to see it.

Was the reception to Versus so huge, when it first debuted, so large that Square knew they had a gem and that they should just dig years and years into it until it's "perfect?"

Mario007

lol. And I imagine there is less demand for the third one.

They're going to have to do some extreme marketing for versus and eventually 15 to reinvigorate interest in the brand.

They really don't since Versus hype is through the roof and you can bet that when a new FF15 trailer is shown people will be hyped yet again. FF is a brand where each game is completely different than the previous one with new worlds and characters. People don't like the Lightning Saga or however Square calls it but still are really interested in FF as a whole.

I hope Agni's Philosophy is actually a next-gen game.
I still place a decent chance that the trailer ends with "Final Fantasy XV..."

They really don't since Versus hype is through the roof and you can bet that when a new FF15 trailer is shown people will be hyped yet again. FF is a brand where each game is completely different than the previous one with new worlds and characters. People don't like the Lightning Saga or however Square calls it but still are really interested in FF as a whole.
I believe that to an extent, but I still think as time goes on there will be a notable amount of people becoming less interested. It's just about getting your base hyped. Politics style. But yeah most will probably get re-hyped when they start marketing the game again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So, if it's six months later, you think Versus is shipping October 2014? That is still too late. The PS2 had longer legs than the PS3 will have, every publisher will be projecting that. SE have made no effort to get Versus out while the PS3 is viable, I don't believe they will ship on it at this point.

People aren't going to suddenly dump their PS3s by then, and SE won't want to bail out on that large user base in favor for a smaller next-gen one. A more recently example of a last gen game releasing well after its predecessor... Pokemon Black and White 2.

sleepykyo

Well I can tell you the marketing costs have been $0.

Well yeah there has been a lot of marketing, but the game can't possibly sell enough on the PS3 to recoup the costs and even going multi-plat isn't going to gain a lot.

Seems like the only thing to do is make Versus a Crystal Chronicles. Hey Sony, here is the contracted exclusive, we didn't say anything about it being triple A.

People aren't going to suddenly dump their PS3s by then. A more recently example of a last gen game releasing well after its predecessor... Pokemon Black and White 2.

They might. Or have sold it off. The PS2 had a great library, the PS3 is an inferior 360 and crash ridden system. I wouldn't be surprised if large of the PS3s sold are sitting in closet/out of sight, out of mind/traded in/broken and not worth repairing by late 2014.

Vamphuntr

No I can't, which was my point. It can't make money in either scenario, unless a first party pays them.

I'm not sure about that, either. It all depends on how long it takes before it is out. They have about a year before the new consoles launch and if they release it around that time it will work.

The brand name might have been tarnished with the FFXIII games and FFXIV but the FF name is still pretty strong. While it might not be the same situation, FFVIII sold very well and it launched against the Dreamcast in the US.

Otherwise are they going another 2-3 years to complete it and port it to next-gen hardware? Seeing how SE had trouble moving from the PS2 to the PS3, this seems likely.

Then they will make Versus XIII-2 and 3 with reused assets from the first and cut content from the first game to recoup the cost.

StuBurns

Banned
People aren't going to suddenly dump their PS3s by then. A more recently example of a last gen game releasing well after its predecessor... Pokemon Black and White 2.
The DS is vastly more popular than the PS3. But we shall see. There is absolutely no reason to think Versus is coming any time soon, and there will be a better reason for that than it's 'ambitious'.

Well yeah there has been a lot of marketing, but the game can't possibly sell enough on the PS3 to recoup the costs and even going multi-plat isn't going to gain a lot.

Seems like the only thing to do is make Versus a Crystal Chronicles. Hey Sony, here is the contracted exclusive, we didn't say anything about it being triple A.

Well I can't say Versus will be a success or even generate money. But changing platforms or porting isn't going to help. Most FF fans have a ps3 by this point. There's nothing to be gained by going to 360 or ps4.

Reveirg

" Julien became the worldwide technical director of Ubisoft Entertainment in 1999. In this role, he played a major role in studios creation and organization, technology and production pipeline design, multi-platform strategy, as well as AAA features integration. He also took responsibility for middleware and development strategy, communication and cooperation strategy, and hardware manufacturers and middleware relations. "

Taken from Mobygames. Couldn't find anything related to his role at Eidos and S-E but it's safe to say it should be around the same responsabilities.

Mario007

I still place a decent chance that the trailer ends with "Final Fantasy XV..."

I believe that to an extent, but I still think as time goes on there will be a notable amount of people becoming less interested. It's just about getting your base hyped. Politics style. But yeah most will probably get re-hyped when they start marketing the game again.

Trust me even I'm not hyped for LR and I consider myself a huge FF fan and moreover a pretty big fan of XIII and XIII-2. It's just that LR simply feels like an FF spin-off and spin-off are really only successful in universes which players love and crave more.

Oh and having Agni's demo ending with FFXV is pretty much what I'll be expecting now. It would also mean no Toriyama so yay!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To note, Julien oversees technology exchange and general direction across the entire Square Enix group including between East and West.

The specific technologies are handled at the individual studios though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How much did FF13 and 13-2 sell on 360 and how much did those ports cost to make?

Port costs are unknown but in terms of US numbers (360's biggest market), XIII did 700K LTD, and XIII-2 did 175K LTD.

Japan was around 20K LTD for both on 360.

PS3 did 1.2 million on XIII and 322K for XIII-2 in the US. 1.95m and 820K respectively for Japan.

Whompa

That bit of vaporware? I lumped that in with TLG when I closed the door on my hopes and dreams man :/

Truth be told. I think I just grew up. I'm not a teenager anymore. If I'm gonna spend 60+ hours on a game whose chief draw is its plot, I demand more than the usual convoluted anime-esque plot with PG13 fanfic ready romance shoehorned in to ensure that SE ensnares both genders. At this point, I'm mostly in it for the usually stellar artwork and oftentimes memorable score. Nobody builds worlds quite like Square and it's something that I still appreciate even if the last game I enjoyed was IX.

If VS. represents a major fundamental shift in mechanics then color me surprised. Because for a series that's run for about two decades now, it's quite short on innovative mechanics and has run quite a staid course.

Curious why someone, with such a strong opinion on something, even wastes their time commenting on Versus. Especially if they've "closed the door" on the topic.

LuuKyK

Might as well post this too I guess:

A6ymYjtCUAAlOA1.jpg

new artwork (from the UK concert)

weee

HOOOOOOOOOLYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

FLAWLESS.

#hype

StuBurns

Banned
No one has closed the door on Versus, they're just pissy and frustrated at the situation. When it comes, it won't be any different to if had shipped any other time. Unless it takes months to come to the West and is bad like XIII, because we all kind of knew to lower expectations for XIII because of the Japanese impressions.

Top Bottom