• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Anyone who think that either Sony or Microsoft will release their biggest games at launch is completely off the mark.

There's not going to be an Uncharted or GT6 or Killzone for the launch of PS4, and nor should there be. They would be completely wasting their biggest guns on a miniscule userbase which won't get anywhere near the sale if they just wait 12/18 months.

It makes MUCH more sense to have solid new IPs made by your best devs (utilize all the second teams from Naughty Dog/Polyphony/Guerilla/SSM) to really generate interest and start off a new IPs with a bang, or to rejuvenate old IPs. The start of a generation is when gamers are most willing and interested in new IPs. Most of their biases are sidestepped with better graphics, newer technology, new features, etc... That's how interest is generated. This is why nearly every major launch title becomes a million seller.

PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero, and Kameo were all million sellers for Microsoft, and in the next 12-16 months after that they introduced Gears of War, Crackdown, Mass Effect. Notice how they kept Halo off the system for another 2 years until the userbase was fully primed, and that's how it went off to becoming the highest selling Halo game.

Frankly, it was stupid of Sony to release Starhawk and Twisted Metal this year where they fizzled away into the nothingness they had come from. If they wanted to relaunch IPs, they should've waited one more year and polished them to perfection for the PS4 launch. Then those B games that sold like C games would've look like A games and gotten B+/A- type sales.

EDIT:

One should also know when to let IPs go. Is it worthwhile for MS to reintroduce Blood Wake or Brute Force?
At some point, you have to things like MAG, SOCOM, Resistance, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank die. For all the snarky dude-bro comments against MS, Sony sure did focus on a shitload of shooters this gen. Tighten your focus, and put your marketing muscle behind one major franchise per genre. Don't dilute your focus and have them all be masters of none.

Recent rumors have been pointing to steam roller. Lesser cores, but clocked much higher. Another design difference that we will have to wait and see what devs officially have to say later this year.

I remember when rumors first came out they were using steamroller then after a while people said it look like it change Jaguar cores .
Guess i mix stuff up or just remembering wrong , happens when you following rumors for so long .

I remember when rumors first came out they were using steamroller then after a while people said it look like it change Jaguar cores .
Guess i mix stuff up or just remembering wrong , happens when you following rumors for so long .

You're not wrong. But rumors saying different things are par for the course. Eventually they start converging.

It seems like in Orbis case, it's converging to Steam Roller cores.

Why do you think NSMB U was there at WIIU's launch?

To attempt something that didn't work?

Hey, don´t include Ratchet with the rest of them. You are on my list fella :p
That franchise has been done to death this gen (as if it wasn't last gen), and it's appeal has dwindled further and further. Now with Insomniac going multiplatform, is it really worth it for Sony's to throw this franchise on one of their other devs?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Anyone who think that either Sony or Microsoft will release their biggest games at launch is completely off the mark.

There's not going to be an Uncharted or GT6 or Killzone for the launch of PS4, and nor should there be. They would be completely wasting their biggest guns on a miniscule userbase which won't get anywhere near the sale if they just wait 12/18 months.

It makes MUCH more sense to have solid new IPs made by your best devs (utilize all the second teams from Naughty Dog/Polyphony/Guerilla/SSM) to really generate interest and start off a new IPs with a bang, or to rejuvenate old IPs. The start of a generation is when gamers are most willing and interested in new IPs. Most of their biases are sidestepped with better graphics, newer technology, new features, etc... That's how interest is generated. This is why nearly every major launch title becomes a million seller.

PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero, and Kameo were all million sellers for Microsoft, and in the next 12-16 months after that they introduced Gears of War, Crackdown, Mass Effect. Notice how they kept Halo off the system for another 2 years until the userbase was fully primed, and that's how it went off to becoming the highest selling Halo game.

Frankly, it was stupid of Sony to release Starhawk and Twisted Metal this year where they fizzled away into the nothingness they had come from. If they wanted to relaunch IPs, they should've waited one more year and polished them to perfection for the PS4 launch. Then those B games that sold like C games would've look like A games and gotten B+/A- type sales.

EDIT:

One should also know when to let IPs go. Is it worthwhile for MS to reintroduce Blood Wake or Brute Force?
At some point, you have to things like MAG, SOCOM, Resistance, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank die. For all the snarky dude-bro comments against MS, Sony sure did focus on a shitload of shooters this gen. Tighten your focus, and put your marketing muscle behind one major franchise per genre. Don't dilute your focus and have them all be masters of none.

That line of thinking got nintendo into major trouble at launch. They should of had a big gun day 1 and no NSMB games are not a big gun. Sony and MS be smart to have a big gun at launch. There is to much competition out there these days for gaming dollars to half ass a launch like nintendo did.

Massa

lol, and how is that working out for them?

Pretty damn well, I'd say. If it wasn't for that game Wii U sales would have been significantly worse, if the software numbers we have are any indication.

NSMBU is also not being "wasted" by being a launch title as it will continue to sell well for the entire lifetime of the system.

NBtoaster

That franchise has been done to death this gen (as if it wasn't last gen), and it's appeal has dwindled further and further. Now with Insomniac going multiplatform, is it really worth it for Sony's to throw this franchise on one of their other devs?

There's no indication Insomniac will stop making them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the next mainline R&C (i.e. the sequel to A Crack in Time, which really should have remained Clock Blockers) has long been prepped for the PS4.

Sid

You're not wrong. But rumors saying different things are par for the course. Eventually they start converging.

It seems like in Orbis case, it's converging to Steam Roller cores.

To attempt something that didn't work?
What didn't work?

lol, and how is that working out for them?

Also, it one of the easier/quicker games for Nintendo to make.
Sure it is but it's also one of their biggest,it's going to have long legs and less people would buy the system at launch if it wasn't there.

AkIRA_22

EDIT:

Well there is no reason there won't be an UC4, you see, naughty dog are paid money to make that game. Paid by Sony, if Sony want them to make it for PS4 they will. I for one am basically certain it will be a launch "window" game. Same With KZ4. Imagine instead of coming out with 6 average games the PS3 comes out with 3 AAA games off the bat and a bunch of cool PSN stuff. That's not even counting 3rd party. Star Wars 313 and Watch Dogs seem decently along the dev cycle, why would they show Next Gen games with no Next Gen systems? a message to Sony and MS, we have games nearly ready, hurry the eff up, we can't just sit on these.

A launch is already a risky business, they wouldn't risk brand new IP, with Sony in the position they are right now they are unlikely. Resistance was the ONLY brand spanking new IP at launch, and that was coming off the PS2.... the most successful console of all time.

As for "keeping Halo off for 2 years", that's because of development time. Bungie just take a little while to make games. It will be the same with their next game, it's probably going to be a late 2014 release. Not because they a waiting for user base, but because that is when it's ready.

That's my opinion any how.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Third parties.

The reports of their death may be greatly exaggerated. Did it ever occur that the death of the 3rd part exclusive had a lot to do with the fact that nobody was willing to pay for them? MS had several exclusive JRPGs they bought for Japan (that ultimately did nothing over there). However, at the beginning of the gen it makes sense to spend the big bucks for those because it's cheaper than supporting the studios long-term.

Let's look at what happened to the Vita. How did Nintendo securing Monster Hunter work out for them? I thought third party exclusives were extinct? But no, they are alive and well and a well-chosen one can do wonders for a platform.

What if COD is Durango exclusive? Elder Scrolls 6? How will that affect the NA market?

I hope they don't do that. If both machines release around the same time then I don't want any third party software off limits just because someone got moneyhatted. You want to persuade people to buy your machine, invest in your own exclusives

Pretty damn well, I'd say. If it wasn't for that game Wii U sales would have been significantly worse, if the software numbers we have are any indication.

NSMBU is also not being "wasted" by being a launch title as it will continue to sell well for the entire lifetime of the system.
Well the point is also to actually introduce new IPs in place of big hitters. Of course, if you don't introduce new IPs that appeal to the hardcore at all, then your big hitter is needed.
There's no indication they will. Going multiplatform and focusing on creating their own IP is an indication that they want to branch out.
Well there is no reason there won't be an UC4, you see, naughty dog are paid money to make that game. Paid by Sony, if Sony want them to make it for PS4 they will. I for one am basically certain it will be a launch "window" game.
Aside from the condescending tone, I can guarantee you're going to be in for some massive disappointment. And I didn't say that you won't/shouldn't get sequels to big IPs, just that they won't be there at launch.

I don't agree with the notion that Sony or MS should keep their big guns away. What else would sell the system? NSMBWIIU is what is mostly keeping the Wii U alive considering the ports are selling terribly for the most part.

If Sony releases Uncharted 4 and I along with a couple of other million people buy it then it will be worth it. Also later adopters have more of an incentive to buy the PS4 considering they can pick up UC4 for a cheaper price after they let the launch period pass/save enough money.

Not to say this is the only way to do it as having too many big guns releasing at launch can have a bad result with sales cannibalizing each other.

shink

PS4 launch definitely needs a mix of old and new. I think GT6:p would be a good launch game. Would help console sales among Europeans

DBT85

They should also keep Uncharted and God of War, both strong IPs.
And i pray for a new WipEout.

We all pray for more Wipeout. I'd love to see what the guys from Liverpool could cook up on the rumoured hardware. I read somewhere here that they kind of joined up with Evolution when they got shut down, but I don't know if that is actually true.

They should bring PlanetSide 2 to PS4.

I think from that video form IGN and how much Sony probably wants something that they can put up against Halo that Planetside 2 is almost a cert for the PS4. Free too, so everyone can try it out.

rdrr gnr

An issue no one has really talked about is proprietary tech in the PS4. There seemed to be some (including myself) who believed Sony would respond to the hacking scandal in their next system by being as inconvenient as possible.

neptunes

Well there is no reason there won't be an UC4, you see, naughty dog are paid money to make that game. Paid by Sony, if Sony want them to make it for PS4 they will. I for one am basically certain it will be a launch "window" game. Same With KZ4. Imagine instead of coming out with 6 average games the PS3 comes out with 3 AAA games off the bat and a bunch of cool PSN stuff. That's not even counting 3rd party. Star Wars 313 and Watch Dogs seem decently along the dev cycle, why would they show Next Gen games with no Next Gen systems? a message to Sony and MS, we have games nearly ready, hurry the eff up, we can't just sit on these.

A launch is already a risky business, they wouldn't risk brand new IP, with Sony in the position they are right now they are unlikely. Resistance was the ONLY brand spanking new IP at launch, and that was coming off the PS2.... the most successful console of all time.

As for "keeping Halo off for 2 years", that's because of development time. Bungie just take a little while to make games. It will be the same with their next game, it's probably going to be a late 2014 release. Not because they a waiting for user base, but because that is when it's ready.

A launch period is the perfect time to experiment with new IPs. If they resonate well, they'll become a mainstay for the remainder of that generation.

demolitio

I get the importance of new IP's at launch, but I don't agree with you on having some big games for the launch window. They need to MAKE people buy PS4's and having a weak launch window or just all new franchises doesn't stack up well when you're releasing close to a competitor's console. You want to blow them away with new games from series people love and that really show off what the new hardware is capable of. Having a heavy hitter at launch makes people like me a lot more likely to buy them and if it's a good game, then why wouldn't people that didn't get the console at launch buy the game when they do happen to get it if it's a good game? Software sales are only one part of the equation but that doesn't mean shit if people don't have the urge to buy your console early on anyway.

Plenty of people went back and bought the good PS3 games when they eventually bought the console. You're better off making people want the console early instead of worrying it won't have the userbase for it because good games grow that user-base. Without a good launch, it won't matter much if they kept a game for the following year or not because the momentum would be gone and it would be left in their competitors' hands. They have plenty of developers to have big games each year, so enticing people at launch and then keeping them hooked would be better.

Basically, this isn't a console launching in its own time-frame away from competition. They NEED to sell it to people because those people might just buy the new MS console if they like a launch game better on there. I agree on Starhawk and Twisted Metal though, but they still wouldn't be the heavy hitters they need. Have new IP's early in the cycle but don't just hold back a good game thinking more software sales are more important because you need people to buy your console first and get a head start on MS. One big series plus new IP's and multi-platform games would be fine.

Note: I'm not saying I expect UC4 at launch but rather that they need a big game from a big series to help them out. I think KZ4 will be at or near launch but rather that can grow to be a monstrous series for Sony is up to them and GG.

What do people see Sony doing in regards to release for PS4?

I know tradition states that Japan gets it first but i think its about time they change this up. I think Sony need to make sure Europe gets it as soon as possible, this is their strongest market considering they sold half their PS3's here.

Of course im biased since i live in London and i know America is going to be important but for once i would like them to show some appreciation for the fan base they have here.

DBT85

What do people see Sony doing in regards to release for PS4?

I know tradition states that Japan gets it first but i think its about time they change this up. I think Sony need to make sure Europe gets it as soon as possible, this is their strongest market considering they sold half their PS3's here.

Of course im biased since i live in London and i know America is going to be important but for once i would like them to show some appreciation for the fan base they have here.

People seem mixed. Some say get it to the US in time for thanksgiving and Christmas and let Europe get it last because we will buy it anyway. Sony need to try and gain mind share over Microsoft and giving the XB3 a head start in it's strongest market would be a mistake.

Others say get it into a market you are already strong in but might face competition so EU first to guarantee sales then US.

Everyone seems to think Japan can be left as they are as they are less about home consoles and the XB3 will almost certainly not sell there. However I doubt Sony would ever launch in Japan after another territory.

Personally. Balls out worldwide launch, day and date is what I want to see. However I expect Japan and the US to get it at least a month before the EU.

It's custom, worked on by very smart AMD engineers, that also have an interest in progressing GPU technology forward.

It's not like AMD is just going to develop some groundbreaking new tech for Microsoft exclusively, knowing full well of its own potential internally when they pitched the idea to Microsoft.
What works in a console environment doesn't necessarily work in a PC GPU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So explain why this isn't in any of the upcoming GPUs. If it were so great, you'd think AMD would want a competitive advantage against nVidia.

Depends why the magic beans - sorry, custom chips are there. Eg edram is there to cover off the slower main ram, but PC GPUs have fast BDDR5 ram on board so don't really need it.

neptunes

I get the importance of new IP's at launch, but I don't agree with you on having some big games for the launch window. They need to MAKE people buy PS4's and having a weak launch window or just all new franchises doesn't stack up well when you're releasing close to a competitor's console. You want to blow them away with new games from series people love and that really show off what the new hardware is capable of. Having a heavy hitter at launch makes people like me a lot more likely to buy them and if it's a good game, then why wouldn't people that didn't get the console at launch buy the game when they do happen to get it if it's a good game? Software sales are only one part of the equation but that doesn't mean shit if people don't have the urge to buy your console early on anyway.

Plenty of people went back and bought the good PS3 games when they eventually bought the console. You're better off making people want the console early instead of worrying it won't have the userbase for it because good games grow that user-base. Without a good launch, it won't matter much if they kept a game for the following year or not because the momentum would be gone and it would be left in their competitors' hands. They have plenty of developers to have big games each year, so enticing people at launch and then keeping them hooked would be better.

Basically, this isn't a console launching in its own time-frame away from competition. They NEED to sell it to people because those people might just buy the new MS console if they like a launch game better on there. I agree on Starhawk and Twisted Metal though, but they still wouldn't be the heavy hitters they need. Have new IP's early in the cycle but don't just hold back a good game thinking more software sales are more important because you need people to buy your console first and get a head start on MS. One big series plus new IP's and multi-platform games would be fine.

Note: I'm not saying I expect UC4 at launch but rather that they need a big game from a big series to help them out. I think KZ4 will be at or near launch but rather that can grow to be a monstrous series for Sony is up to them and GG.
Sony and MS' marketing strategy at launch will change from the first year on the market going into their second years. The enthusiast consumers buying consoles at launch will buy one whether or not AAA profile game "x" is available on day one. Ensuring those titles are on track to release (or be exclusive) during the second or third year is much more important. That's usually when the wider gaming audience targeted. Both manufacturers know this and will probably save their more prolific IPs for their respective second and third years. I.e. Halo 5 & GoW4 between late 2014 or early 2015 etc...

That line of thinking got nintendo into major trouble at launch. They should of had a big gun day 1 and no NSMB games are not a big gun. Sony and MS be smart to have a big gun at launch. There is to much competition out there these days for gaming dollars to half ass a launch like nintendo did.
NSMB isn't a big gun? What exactly is bigger?

Darryl

Banned

i agree in that Sony and MS definitely need a big gun at launch. they have much more at stake, while nintendo is cheaper and can afford some more time for their product to catch on. NSMB:U and Nintendo Land are big enough to build interest and buy time. i can't see Sony/MS lasting 2 or 3 years if they don't show their products worth within the first year. people will be too obsessed over google/apple/valve goggles if they wait any longer and won't want to spare $400.

NSMB isn't a big gun? What exactly is bigger?

Pokemon

A launch is already a risky business, they wouldn't risk brand new IP, with Sony in the position they are right now they area unlikely. Resistance was the ONLY brand spanking new IP at launch, and that was coming off the PS2.... the most successful console of all time.

Publishers in general see launch window as the time to launch new IPs and take creative risks. The likes of Ubisoft have said as much, and history has proven consumers are more responsive to quality new IPs in a launch window. Even relatively average ones like Motorstorm, and Resistance became multi million sellers

Not in sales, especially on consoles

Not even close to being as popular

demolitio

Socom 2 HD. Launch day.

Some part of me makes me want to believe that it will be there at launch simply due to how requested it's been on their site and knowing that it's a cheap solution to get a lot of hardcore people to get a PS4. Low cost that a smaller team could work on but would still sell well for an old game. Hell, Confrontation was the original reason I got a PS3 and we know how that turned out...lol. Glad I did though.

Hell, it'd do even better now thanks to SOCOM 4 making people realize that 2 is the best we'll ever get. :p

demolitio

How are they going to make a Socom game if they closed Zipper?.

Uhhhhh...a remake of an old game doesn't have to be Zipper much like how the HD Collections on PS3 are done by others. No one mentioned SOCOM 5. Even if they did, they don't have to say by Zipper considering Sony has shown it was willing to let other developers work on the franchise when they gave it to an inexperienced PSP developer with a small staff that had to grow quickly for Confrontation...

EDIT:

Launching Halo with the original xbox didn't do the games's sales any harm. Likewise mario 64.

Killer games shift systems. It's that simple.

If anything, seeing the reactions to the 3DS and WiiU, I expect 'something' from a top tier franchise from both MS and Sony. It's time for an Uncharted and a new (proper) Fable.

They are launching head to head and sony is in a battle for it's life (or at the very least its credit rating) and has much to prove after losing the lead it enjoyed for so long.... most likely they WILL both come out all guns blazing. One of them certainly will.

Launching Halo with the original xbox didn't do the games's sales any harm. Likewise mario 64.

If anything, seeing the reactions to the 3DS and WiiU, I expect 'something' from a top tier franchise from both MS and Sony. It's time for an Uncharted and a new (proper) Fable.

They are launching head to head and sony is in a battle for it's life (or at the very least its credit rating) and has much to prove after losing the lead it enjoyed for so long.... most likely they WILL both come out all guns blazing. One of them certainly will.

The days of Halo's and (3D) Mario's launching with systems are over.

I read that on the internet somewhere and it sounded pretty true.

from a factual standpoint, a new xbox is guaranteed to sell out for the first holidays anyway, what is the point of a halo in that time from microsofts greedy perspective?

Shayan

Banned

actually both are in a battle for their lives. People are moving from PCs to tablets which is and will be dominated by Android and IOS for the next decade

SONY lost money mostly due to exchange rate but could recover since it is a 160B company in terms of total assets> MS if you are unaware

I have a feeling that PS4 would launch with KZ4 . People are waiting for it and everyone is anticipating it to be something that would wow them

DBT85

I have a feeling that PS4 would launch with KZ4 . People are waiting for it and everyone is anticipating it to be something that would wow them

My question is do they want to launch with two first party shooters, assuming Planetside 2 is a launch title too?

If you have the choice of Planetside 2 or KZ4 which one is going to be a bigger draw considering that PS2 is FTP and solely based around multiplayer, where KZ4 will almost certainly have a SP element and MP trying to be as interesting as possible.

actually both are in a battle for their lives. People are moving from PCs to tablets which is and will be dominated by Android and IOS for the next decade

SONY lost money mostly due to exchange rate but could recover since it is a 160B company in terms of total assets> MS if you are unaware

I have a feeling that PS4 would launch with KZ4 . People are waiting for it and everyone is anticipating it to be something that would wow them.

Maybe there will be a repeat of E3 2005 with the showing of a KZ trailer, but this time in real time.

iceatcs

The days of Halo's and (3D) Mario's launching with systems are over.

I read that on the internet somewhere and it sounded pretty true.

from a factual standpoint, a new xbox is guaranteed to sell out for the first holidays anyway, what is the point of a halo in that time from microsofts greedy perspective?
More money for MS. They're looking for biggest profit as possible on day one, if loss per system?. 3rd Party titles do help but ms only get royalty and licence fee.

Shayan

Banned
My question is do they want to launch with two first party shooters, assuming Planetside 2 is a launch title too?

If you have the choice of Planetside 2 or KZ4 which one is going to be a bigger draw considering that PS2 is FTP and solely based around multiplayer, where KZ4 will almost certainly have a SP element and MP trying to be as interesting as possible.

If PS4 is a powerful console then KZ4 is a definite yes. It would showcase power and also FPS is a genre that is liked in US ,the only region where they lost their footing

Planetside 2 has its fanbase and one advantage or disadvantage is that its solely based on MP

It depends on what HW they are coming up with . Considering if its really A10 ,which falters against i7 because of the lack of compilers , i think they might launch with P2 and then showcase KZ4 when devs can extract more juice from the system

Wtf...dude you just try to refute my point of using new IPs and rejuvenating old IPs at launch with...Halo and the first 3D Mario? Like seriously...what?

One was a new IP, which is EXACTLY what I said.
The other was a complete revamping of an IP which created a new genre.

The one thing you're right about is that killer games shift systems. So why do none of you have faith in Sony to make killer games if they're not part of an older IP such as Gran Turismo, Uncharter, or Killzone? Like you said, if the game is good enough, it will sell.

This is either the most naive or purposefully obtuse thing I've read here in a long time.

What is up with people making inane statements today?

Shayan

Banned
Maybe there will be a repeat of E3 2005 with the showing of a KZ trailer, but this time in real time.

oh sure they cant get away with BS this time.

With extra power though, franchises like Motorstorm, which i felt was held back by lack of power, could really blossom next gen

Shayan

Banned
Wtf...dude you just try to refute my point of using new IPs and rejuvenating old IPs at launch with...Halo and the first 3D Mario? Like seriously...what?

One was a new IP, which is EXACTLY what I said.
The other was a complete revamping of an IP which created a new genre.

The one thing you're right about is that killer games shift systems. So why do none of you have faith in Sony to make killer games if they're not part of an older IP such as Gran Turismo, Uncharter, or Killzone? Like you said, if the game is good enough, it will sell.

This is either the most naive or purposefully obtuse thing I've read here in a long time.

What is up with people making inane statements today?

sorry i think you misunderstoood market cap which is fickle with a company's total assets

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=MSFT+Balance+Sheet&annual
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SNE&annual

sorry i think you misunderstoood market cap which is fickle with a company's total assets

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=MSFT+Balance+Sheet&annual
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SNE&annual
I don't know whether to just laugh at you right now or downright mock you for coming back with this matter-of-fact reply.
people expect SONY to wow them with PS4. As we have seen with PS3, launching the most powerful console pays off in the future. Look how well ps3 is doing in ww sales and it hasnt reached 150$ yet

All SONY needs to do is launch at the same time as x720. In a few months after release they can brag how they are the winners in Asia and Pal/euro region
Good lord, get some perspective. Tell me the truth. How old are you really?

Top Bottom